Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #17941
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post
Decided to stay with the OEM filters, $46 shipped on Ebay for a 3 pack. I just moved to Colorado and not sure how much riding I'll do compared to my old home of Alaska but am estimating maybe 3,000 - 4,000 miles on each bike over the course of a year. One filter a year is peanuts not to stay with OEM.

Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 ???? Might give it a go if Wal Mart has it in stock. Reason being it is a heck of a lot hotter here in Colorado than Alaska. I been using Mobil 1 in my cars and trucks since the late 1970's and been pretty happy with it.
The Rotella Synthetic is rated Jaso MA so is OK to use in your bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #17942
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Changed my mind, think I'll try the Rotella T6.

How do you guys like it?
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #17943
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:

How do you guys like it?

I'm not using it now but have put a lot of miles on other bikes while using it including a track bike. It's pretty popular with the track bike crowd as it's a synthetic oil that's pretty cheap and most track guys change their oil pretty frequently.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #17944
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

How do you guys like it?
I'm not really sure what there is to like, or dislike, about one specific motor oil over another.

I guess I like that it's inexpensive and readily available at Wally World and meets the manufacturer's requirements of SH or higher and JASO MA.

Like swimmer, I use it in my race bike as well. And my other street bike. And my dirt bike.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #17945
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Was doing some curiosity reading and ran across this from a honda owner in Atlanta. Unsolicited, off the wall, don't even know which honda he has:

Switched bike from Rotella t6 to Amsoil
Changed oil in bike today @ 2200 miles and took sample for an oil analysis, however.... i doubt i'm even going to waste the money to compare the two because switching to amsoil was an instant and obvious difference. Previously used rotella t6 since it's a cheap synthetic that tests well and is highly regarded with cycles, plus..... it's a honda, you can fill a honda with old fish grease and it'll be ok.

@ 2200 miles on an oil change, 75% highway and in a less than two month time span, the rotella was black as coal. Not surprised by that, you're not suppose to get long intervals on rotella, it wore out when it was suppose to wear out. The rotella performed within expectations, bike ran good, stayed right at temperature, and had a small amount of shifter clunk, mostly on down shifting. It was nothing beyond the realm of expectation though.

Switched to Amsoil yesterday and didnt really ride the bike until today. About 10 minutes from my house, my reaction was "omg". The difference is night and day. Everything smoother, idles better, low rpm is better, shifting is silent and silky smooth. unbelievable difference. Especially since the change was from a good oil to begin with. Even as someone who already recognizes that oils are not created equal, i didnt expect this dramatic of a difference between oils. Based on the clutch benefit alone, i'm gonna stick with amsoil. The rotella was "good enough", but amsoil difference is amazing.

I can tell you that mine shifted smoother after my last oil change. Will see what it's like after this thousand mile trip coming up over the weekend.

Back when GasGas came out with the new EC series enduros, they had bushings in the shift shafts and amsoil was about the only oil that wouldn't drag or slip and shifted the smoothest. That was back 15 years ago.

The oil wars rage on.

EDIT: BTW, seems like T6 is about $30 a gal at WM. Amsoil is $35 but I have to pay shipping so it ends up being a little more. Both are cheaper than many of the MC specific oils.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #17946
Randyincolo
Adventurer

T6 it is. If Wally World doesn't have it Amazon does:).
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #17947
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
I used T6 and Amsoil in my Suzuki SV1000. Liked the T6. LOVED the Amsoil. As noted above, smoooooooth shifting. Like buttah.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #17948
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Never been on Bobs oil web site. Interesting you mention Delo 400 is not a suitable oil yet you recommend syn oils that are 5-40 and yet Triumph states you need 10-40 or 10-50. A minor point for sure. But then you say you would use Delo in some motorcycles but not the Tiger.

One thing I learned with motorcycles is when you change the oil they are always easier to shift for about the first 400-600 miles. I am 60 years old and still waiting for someone to tell me they have suffered an engine failure due to the brand of oil they were using.
Delo 400 is primarily a diesel oil first and for gas motors second. You will see this when looking at its API rating; C ratings precede the S ratings. C is diesel specifications, S for gas.

Look at Amsoil or any other oil made for gas motors and you will see the reverse; S ratings first, C second. If you doubt this, search out the Amsoil or any other diesel specific oils and you will find their C ratings first.

The first letter class is what type of fuel engine the oil is primarily formulated for. It may work for both but not the best choice in some cases. This is part of the purpose of the API rating system.

My thoughts on the early changing though. Oil has a detergent package for a purpose; to clean. By changing oil too frequently, the detergents don't get an opportunity to keep working. Dirty oil is not a bad thing (to be clear, I don't mean black sludge) but it means your detergents are working and cleaning your engine. In addition to that, let's think environmentally. Every oil change done when it doesn't need to be just introduces a few extra quarts of oil for disposal. Yes, we should be recycling but is it really necessary?

FWIW and I realise it may not be much.

pilot3 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 12:49 AM
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #17949
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Delo 400 is primarily a diesel oil first and for gas motors second. You will see this when looking at its API rating; C ratings precede the S ratings. C is diesel specifications, S for gas.

Look at Amsoil or any other oil made for gas motors and you will see the reverse; S ratings first, C second. If you doubt this, search out the Amsoil or any other diesel specific oils and you will find their C ratings first.

The first letter class is what type of fuel engine the oil is primarily formulated for. It may work for both but not the best choice in some cases. This is part of the purpose of the API rating system.

My thoughts on the early changing though. Oil has a detergent package for a purpose; to clean. By changing oil too frequently, the detergents don't get an opportunity to keep working. Dirty oil is not a bad thing (to be clear, I don't mean black sludge) but it means your detergents are working and cleaning your engine. In addition to that, let's think environmentally. Every oil change done when it doesn't need to be just introduces a few extra quarts of oil for disposal. Yes, we should be recycling but is it really necessary?

Not too much at all...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #17950
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post

Wow. An oil discussion that actually echoes with sense and reliable information. I never thought I would see it. Kind of like a snipe; you know they exist...
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #17951
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I by the recommended oil, Castrol, on amazon for a little over $7 a quart. Bought by the case, 2 cases = 3 oil changes. About $30 dollars plus a filter.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #17952
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Was doing some curiosity reading and ran across this from a honda owner in Atlanta. Unsolicited, off the wall, don't even know which honda he has:

Changed oil in bike today @ 2200 miles and took sample for an oil analysis, however.... i doubt i'm even going to waste the money to compare the two because switching to amsoil was an instant and obvious difference. Previously used rotella t6 since it's a cheap synthetic that tests well and is highly regarded with cycles, plus..... it's a honda, you can fill a honda with old fish grease and it'll be ok.

@ 2200 miles on an oil change, 75% highway and in a less than two month time span, the rotella was black as coal. Not surprised by that, you're not suppose to get long intervals on rotella, it wore out when it was suppose to wear out. The rotella performed within expectations, bike ran good, stayed right at temperature, and had a small amount of shifter clunk, mostly on down shifting. It was nothing beyond the realm of expectation though.

Switched to Amsoil yesterday and didnt really ride the bike until today. About 10 minutes from my house, my reaction was "omg". The difference is night and day. Everything smoother, idles better, low rpm is better, shifting is silent and silky smooth. unbelievable difference. Especially since the change was from a good oil to begin with. Even as someone who already recognizes that oils are not created equal, i didnt expect this dramatic of a difference between oils. Based on the clutch benefit alone, i'm gonna stick with amsoil. The rotella was "good enough", but amsoil difference is amazing.

I can tell you that mine shifted smoother after my last oil change. Will see what it's like after this thousand mile trip coming up over the weekend.

Back when GasGas came out with the new EC series enduros, they had bushings in the shift shafts and amsoil was about the only oil that wouldn't drag or slip and shifted the smoothest. That was back 15 years ago.

The oil wars rage on.

EDIT: BTW, seems like T6 is about $30 a gal at WM. Amsoil is $35 but I have to pay shipping so it ends up being a little more. Both are cheaper than many of the MC specific oils.
Check for local distributors Chris, I found multiple people around town that will honor that price, you just pick it up.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #17953
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Quote:
I picked up three gallons of T6 last night at Wal Mart. It cost $21 and change a gallon so grabbed three jugs.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #17954
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
That's a good price!

I'm still going to use Amsoil.

(The smilie is me drinking the koolaid. )
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #17955
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:

The oil wars rage on.

This was my experience when going from the T6 to Mobil1 which is why I stated I am earlier that I had been using the T6 but am not currently. I think T6 is still a very good oil at a very good price.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote