Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #17971
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
A bit of wd-40 on the engine, wipe off after a day or so. Bike gets dirty again before any real dust sets in.
This stuff works well on plastic, bought a big bottle thru amazon http://www.303products.com/303r-aero...76d93c967290b4

Mothers or something similar works also

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #17972
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Drilling out exhaust baffles

Anyone take a long drill bit to the baffle that's about 12" down from the stock exhaust opening?

I'd originally found the stock exhaust a bit too quiet, especially when trying to stay noticeable while lane splitting, so I went with a Leo Vince. Even with the baffle in, I'm fatigued by it on my longish commute. It provides a mid-tone drone that's usefully loud to get the attention of mindless four-wheeled chuckleheads, but just takes it out of me after 90 minutes a day in B flat loud.

I've put the stock can back on and appreciate its understated smoothness now, but I'd like just a bit more noise out of it.

Any experience out there modding the stocker?
My search came up with bupkiss.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #17973
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Anyone take a long drill bit to the baffle that's about 12" down from the stock exhaust opening?

I'd originally found the stock exhaust a bit too quiet, especially when trying to stay noticeable while lane splitting, so I went with a Leo Vince. Even with the baffle in, I'm fatigued by it on my longish commute. It provides a mid-tone drone that's usefully loud to get the attention of mindless four-wheeled chuckleheads, but just takes it out of me after 90 minutes a day in B flat loud.

I've put the stock can back on and appreciate its understated smoothness now, but I'd like just a bit more noise out of it.

Any experience out there modding the stocker?
My search came up with bupkiss.
I've never heard a "modded" stock exhaust that sounded good.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #17974
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've never heard a "modded" stock exhaust that sounded good.
And you'll probably get the drone back AND you've wrecked your stock can.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #17975
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
...I'd originally found the stock exhaust a bit too quiet, especially when trying to stay noticeable while lane splitting, so I went with a Leo Vince. Even with the baffle in, I'm fatigued by it on my longish commute. It provides a mid-tone drone that's usefully loud to get the attention of mindless four-wheeled chuckleheads, but just takes it out of me after 90 minutes a day in B flat loud.

Since the chuckleheads are in front of you while lane splitting, why not use your horn? Maybe get one that plays 'Dixie' or 'La Cucaracha' or whatever floats your boat?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #17976
frytown
Adventurer

Thanks for the insights, gents. Several years ago I rode a Bonnie, and this was a mod some folks did to their stock pipes that opened up the grumble. At the time I simply cut out the smaller end pipe in my stock exhaust on that bike and it sounded and ran brilliantly. Many folks, though, just drilled holes into the wall several inches down inside the tube.

Lee,

Not sure if you have much experience splitting lanes, but a louder can makes a huge difference in making yourself apparent to drivers in front of you. Honking one's horn all the time just makes you out to be a dick. If I honked my horn for every phone focused lane drifter I'd be honking 3/4 of my freeway commute.

Essentially I'm just looking for a little louder than stock, but not as annoying as the Leo Vince. I'll just keep looking, then
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #17977
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
...Not sure if you have much experience splitting lanes, but a louder can makes a huge difference in making yourself apparent to drivers in front of you. Honking one's horn all the time just makes you out to be a dick. If I honked my horn for every phone focused lane drifter I'd be honking 3/4 of my freeway commute...
I don't do it because it's not legal where I live, but I've had others ride up on me suddenly while in my truck in slow moving NYC & NJ traffic (and I'm a very focused driver, always scanning in front and behind me). Many of them have had what I would consider louder than stock pipes (incl. some HD-types), and I didn't hear a thing until they were already passing me, even when my windows are down. I doubt many other drivers in thier luxury cars with 'super quiet cabins' would hear them coming up from behind either. I do, however, hear the bikes with loud pipes on the streets in my neighborhood in middle of the night, even when they're blocks away, which makes them out to be dicks.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #17978
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Thanks for the insights, gents. Several years ago I rode a Bonnie, and this was a mod some folks did to their stock pipes that opened up the grumble. At the time I simply cut out the smaller end pipe in my stock exhaust on that bike and it sounded and ran brilliantly. Many folks, though, just drilled holes into the wall several inches down inside the tube.

Lee,

Not sure if you have much experience splitting lanes, but a louder can makes a huge difference in making yourself apparent to drivers in front of you. Honking one's horn all the time just makes you out to be a dick. If I honked my horn for every phone focused lane drifter I'd be honking 3/4 of my freeway commute.

Essentially I'm just looking for a little louder than stock, but not as annoying as the Leo Vince. I'll just keep looking, then
The Scorpion can probably will fit the bill. More throaty than the stock, but not unreasonable. On the highway completely bearable. Just limited dealers in the US but it is obtainable.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #17979
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
I liked the medium sound of the Fuel Exhaust as well. Some people have used them and I think it's in this thread or the XC Farkle thread....need an index or something.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #17980
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
I got the Arrow pipe option... liked it without the baffle for about 30 seconds, then rode 20,000 k's with it in. Since then I've had it out again but essentially, IMO, the motor is not suited to open exhaust unless you ride it a gear down and are playing music with the exhaust because you're in one of those moods (a great one, or a grumpy one), or you're in a forest and want loud above other considerations, as a general warning to people that there's a bike in the area. So I'm at about 42,000 now and I know when I want that drone, which is almost never due to the nice note of the Arrow can.

The second thing is scuttling baffles; essentially creating an internal exhaust leak with a corresponding noise leakage. It will almost always sound like shit because the note is a frequency based on a certain aperture in a certain chamber in the can etc., if you drill any little holes, you will be injecting the loud fart sound of an exhaust leak into whatever note you have (or don't have) beforehand. I say this not as an expert but as the best way I can relate how holing a baffle always seems to sound cheesy/farty. I believe it's just plain acoustics as above.

Again I blather on with opinions but the summary is try an Arrow or any other quieter aftermarket can, hold the speed steady at highway RPMs, in 5th and 6th and see how you like it on that bike before you buy it on yours.

As someone who plays tunes on my exhaust every day whether it's a blip between gears or a wolf whistle at a pretty pedestrian, or a high revving 'wake the fuck up I'm right here you dumbass', I have come to appreciate the otherwise quieter, baffle-in, Arrow sound on my XC. I'm sure there are other makes of cans that are similarly mellow enough until you rev...

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #17981
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Not sure if you have much experience splitting lanes, but a louder can makes a huge difference in making yourself apparent to drivers in front of you.
This is delusional, 'loud pipes save lives' is bullshit. They are in FRONT of you. Loud pipes make regulations for all of us.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #17982
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
This is delusional, 'loud pipes save lives' is bullshit. They are in FRONT of you. Loud pipes make regulations for all of us.
I agree I have friends who say it all the time. You usually hear them when they are beside or past you and then they scare the crap out of you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #17983
frytown
Adventurer

Dudes, you guys sure are hair-trigger with your assumptions.

You don't know me, my bike, where I ride, or anything else about my particular situation. You don't have my commute, nor face the particular risks I face every day. You might have your own, but you don't have mine.

I have a stock pipe which is a little quiet in my opinion. I have a LV, which is a little droney in my opinion. It's not illegal to run the LV and it's not that loud. I like it because it gives a little warning that I'm coming. You have no fucking idea how fast or slow I'm riding when splitting lanes. Mostly, FWIW, I'm going slowly amidst even slower moving traffic. Most of the folks in cars are looking at their phones and tend to drift a lot along the curvy, bumpy freeway I ride to work on every day. I'm not exceeding the speed of fucking sound, wizards, so yeah, they hear me coming before I arrive.

I want as much margin around me as I can without being offensive. Speaking of offensive, the presumptions people are making about all this make me question why I thought there might be wisdom within this forum in the first place.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #17984
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Stay Tune for a new Bike Build thread to start soon.
as I will need to call on some of you Tiger owners to help me out !!!

I should be getting a New 2014 800 Tiger xc in two weeks.
Then off it will go to Dirt Bike for its first ADV Bike comparison.
Then the FUN will start!!!
I will be doing a complete Bike build on the Tiger 800 XC to take on the
NORRA Mexican 1000 in April down the Baja peninsula and then
the Tiger 800xc will head up to the Alcan 5000 Rally in August in Alaska
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #17985
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Dudes, you guys sure are hair-trigger with your assumptions.

You don't know me, my bike, where I ride, or anything else about my particular situation. You don't have my commute, nor face the particular risks I face every day. You might have your own, but you don't have mine.

I have a stock pipe which is a little quiet in my opinion. I have a LV, which is a little droney in my opinion. It's not illegal to run the LV and it's not that loud. I like it because it gives a little warning that I'm coming. You have no fucking idea how fast or slow I'm riding when splitting lanes. Mostly, FWIW, I'm going slowly amidst even slower moving traffic. Most of the folks in cars are looking at their phones and tend to drift a lot along the curvy, bumpy freeway I ride to work on every day. I'm not exceeding the speed of fucking sound, wizards, so yeah, they hear me coming before I arrive.

I want as much margin around me as I can without being offensive. Speaking of offensive, the presumptions people are making about all this make me question why I thought there might be wisdom within this forum in the first place.
Yep you're right, loud pipes save your life, we don't know what we're talking about, nothing to learn here. See you.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote