Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #17986
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
I want as much margin around me as I can without being offensive.
Take the bus. Problem solved.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #17987
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
So we are not allowed our own opinions on the subject. Nice to know where I stand.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #17988
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
So we are not allowed our own opinions on the subject.
Grow up. Just because some people offer their opinion doesn't mean that your not entitled to your own. If you need people to agree with you all the time, you have a problem.

Personally, I hate the guy here in the neighborhood who has loud pipes on his HD. Doesn't matter that he goes slow through the street here, he still wakes up everybody in the street when he does for his ride on weekend mornings.

The Tiger is fairly loud to begin with, putting on a loud pipe doesn't make it any more socially acceptable around other people.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #17989
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Grow up. Just because some people offer their opinion doesn't mean that your not entitled to your own. If you need people to agree with you all the time, you have a problem.
I'm sorry but I got shot down for voicing my opinion. I didn't say people had to agree with me I was only agreeing with what XCRider said.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #17990
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I just don't get why folks jump to so many conclusions around this subject in this forum. Relative anonymity?

Whether stock, or LV, my Tiger is nowhere near as loud as a gawdawful Harley, nor would I want it to be. I live a block from the popular Redwood road. I don't ever hear any of the myriad bikes that fire up and down it, regardless of pipes or mods, except for the Harleys. We can hear every single one.

Cug, just because I want a little more margin around me doesn't make me a puss who should 'ride the bus'. C'mon. That's just being kind of a dick.
I'm a father of a little girl and I want to try to be as safe as I can, while still riding a motorcycle. Yes, I split lanes. The fucking traffic every morning on the 580 is stopped, for several miles. Who wouldn't split?

You live in the bay and must well know the traffic hurdles we all face. Staying noticed is important. All the time. It's why I want just a little more noise from my bike, it's why I wear a white helmet and a contrasty black and white jacket.

Please move along, guys. This subject isn't worth the time in this forum. I'll go it alone without the peanut gallery. I am truly sorry I asked the question in the first place.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #17991
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Stay Tune for a new Bike Build thread to start soon.
as I will need to call on some of you Tiger owners to help me out !!!

I should be getting a New 2014 800 Tiger xc in two weeks.
Then off it will go to Dirt Bike for its first ADV Bike comparison.
Then the FUN will start!!!
I will be doing a complete Bike build on the Tiger 800 XC to take on the
NORRA Mexican 1000 in April down the Baja peninsula and then
the Tiger 800xc will head up to the Alcan 5000 Rally in August in Alaska
If you are getting a 2014 I guess that answers the question, no changes for 2014.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #17992
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Are the 2014 colours the same as 2013? Wasnt sure if thst was included in your no changes comment.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #17993
cug
--

Quote:
I'm a father of a little girl and I want to try to be as safe as I can, while still riding a motorcycle. Yes, I split lanes. The fucking traffic every morning on the 580 is stopped, for several miles. Who wouldn't split?
Honestly? I wouldn't. I'd ride at different times or find different transportation if I had a family with a little kid.

But again, that's just my opinion. I ride my bike in traffic, too, and I do split lanes sometimes (luckily legal here in California), but I don't have kids. And I think all car drivers are blind and deaf - which they are. A louder exhaust won't make a difference in my opinion. I'm super sensitive to this but when I'm in a car in slow traffic I don't hear a bike coming from the rear. No way. I see them in the mirror and I make space, but hearing? Not a chance. And I don't listen to loud music or so. Modern cars isolate so well and the physics plain don't work in your favor there - low frequency is hard to locate, high frequency is fairly easily drowned by other traffic noise, music, sound insulation in cars, ...

In my opinion, you have absolutely no chance of making yourself more conspicuous with more noise. What MIGHT help a little bit are some Skene Design Photon Blaster or something like that. Flickering light is caught by the eye even in mirrors you are not looking at all the time - especially then as flicker is more easily detected outside your focus area.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #17994
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Stay Tune for a new Bike Build thread to start soon.
as I will need to call on some of you Tiger owners to help me out !!!

Sounds like fun! Looking forward to it,
I bet the first thing you do is to cable tie the tip over switch down, they tend to come loose when jumping and rough stuff ( situated under the rear black plastic cargo rack) I turned mine around so I could fit my spare tube under there.

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #17995
ScrambDaddy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Is it possible to adjust the throttle without removing the fuel tank?

At my first TT800 I don't find screws to adjust them directly on the throttle, so I MUST remove the fuel tank
Bike history: Z900, RD400, Z1000LTD, GPZ1100, FT500, XS1100, VF1100C, KLR600, CB1100F, V-Max, VX800, XL650V, GSF1200, R1200R, XL700V, Scrambler900, Scrambler900EFI, TDM900, Tiger800, Z750S, DL1000 V-Storm, DL650 V-Storm.
ScrambDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #17996
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Yes, I split lanes. The fucking traffic every morning on the 580 is stopped, for several miles. Who wouldn't split?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Honestly? I wouldn't. I'd ride at different times or find different transportation if I had a family with a little kid.
cug, every city in Europe would grind to a halt if motorcycles didn't filter (lane split) through the gridlock. Once you're used to doing it and the cage drivers expect it, it's not really too dangerous.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #17997
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambDaddy View Post
Is it possible to adjust the throttle without removing the fuel tank?

At my first TT800 I don't find screws to adjust them directly on the throttle, so I MUST remove the fuel tank
If it's just the free play you want to take out there's an adjuster built into one of the cables about 3 inches down from the twist grip.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #17998
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #17999
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I do, however, hear the bikes with loud pipes on the streets in my neighborhood in middle of the night, even when they're blocks away, which makes them out to be dicks.
I, unfortunately, live in a neighborhood where there is a bar that became a "biker bar". It's all day, everyday, for me. These clowns HAVE to make an entrance and exit performance. The bar is open 9AM to 2AM. I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I agree I have friends who say it all the time. You usually hear them when they are beside or past you and then they scare the crap out of you.
I ride with a guy who has a Yamaha Stratoliner. He has a slip-on that is moderately loud and I never hear him, when he's behind me. It's only as he passes or is in front, like you said.

BTW, you can go into your phone's settings and turn off that signature line that appears with your posts.

Quote:
Not sure if you have much experience splitting lanes, but a louder can makes a huge difference in making yourself apparent to drivers in front of you.
It's been scientifically proven, numerous times, that the sound is projected out the back; not the front.

Have you thought about a headlight modulator? I've had numerous attention-grabbing moments, when I caught the subtle flashing of a headlight, in my side mirror. That seems more effective, in a lane-splitting scenario, than exhaust mods.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #18000
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I agree with the everyone saying that loud pipes are more obnoxious than anything, BUT, there is something to be said about hearing them more easily. As a bit of anecdotal evidence, my friend likes to tease me about my Two Bros. exhaust on my SV, it sounds great, but discreet it is not (it came with the bike, not my doing). He's told me that my bike is so loud, that he can hear my mis-shifts, even when he's in front of me.

When I'm in my car, do I notice a bike with loud pipes at highway speed, with my radio on? Not really. But in stop and go traffic (which is the only justified use of lane splitting, IMO), I can definitely hear them approaching.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote