Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #18001
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
cug, every city in Europe would grind to a halt if motorcycles didn't filter (lane split) through the gridlock. Once you're used to doing it and the cage drivers expect it, it's not really too dangerous.
That is, quite frankly, way exaggerated. I'm German and lived most of my life in Germany, and been to most big cities in Europe. Probably to more than most Europeans. So you don't have to tell me about European cities.

The traffic situation is made better by motorcycles and scooters, but not to the extend you write. And btw: it is the same in the metropolitan areas here in the US (SF, LA, DC, NY, ...). Most everywhere filtering is illegal. Europe or US, doesn't matter.

And as I said: I do filter, within reason, which I expect quite a few folks do. On the other hand, about 30% of the filtering I see here in California is just plain stupid, irresponsible behavior.

The other side of this is that drivers here in California are about the worst I have seen anywhere in the world. Calgary and Vancouver were bad, but it was nothing compared to the Bay Area here. People have no freaking clue about sensible distance, speed, behavior, don't know the rules, are either passive aggressive, actively aggressive, or plain inconsiderate, rude, or ignorant. It's much worse with woman than with men in my experience, they seem to be on the phone or texting with a much higher percentage than men (which by the way is both illegal in CA). I mostly commute with bicycle or motorcycle, sometimes with the car - same behavior experienced in all three.

So, really, I know about filtering and bad traffic. And given the small percentage of two-wheelers - it doesn't really matter. If more people were riding bicycles and scooters and motorcycles, sure, but not given the normal percentages in Europe or the US. Look at Asia if you want to make a point there.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #18002
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The other side of this is that drivers here in California are about the worst I have seen anywhere in the world. Calgary and Vancouver were bad, but it was nothing compared to the Bay Area here. People have no freaking clue about sensible distance, speed, behavior, don't know the rules, are either passive aggressive, actively aggressive, or plain inconsiderate, rude, or ignorant. It's much worse with woman than with men in my experience, they seem to be on the phone or texting with a much higher percentage than men (which by the way is both illegal in CA). I mostly commute with bicycle or motorcycle, sometimes with the car - same behavior experienced in all three.
Want to know something frightening? I just got back from MotoGP and once again noticed that CA drivers are better than Washington drivers by a factor of about 5. WA drivers are waaay up there in the accidents per mile driven category. And they live on their cell phones.
Sorry for the hijack - now back to Tigers...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #18003
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If you are getting a 2014 I guess that answers the question, no changes for 2014.
I can not answer that?
I will let you know when I get the bike.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #18004
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I guess it's all a matter of where you're driving. South Bay, during the times when school starts or ends or during commute it's a freaking nightmare. Weekends it's better. And I notice the inconsiderate behavior more when I'm on the bicycle, I have had my elbows touched by stupid bitches passing way too close (normally no traffic in the other directions) multiple times in the last few years. It's totally unbelievable. Never happened with a male driver, although these are more aggressive towards other car drivers.

I've never experienced so much stupidity and ignorance in Europe - although it was pretty bad in the cities there, too. Probably helps a lot to have more dedicated space for bicyclist.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #18005
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
I'm not exceeding the speed of fucking sound, wizards, so yeah, they hear me coming before I arrive.
This made me lol.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #18006
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Speaking of offensive, the presumptions people are making about all this make me question why I thought there might be wisdom within this forum in the first place.
You are free to go whenever you like.

Tapatalk 4! Now with free NSA monitoring!
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #18007
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Just another noob that needs to read more and post less. He's probably off starting new threads.

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #18008
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I can not answer that?
I will let you know when I get the bike.
The 2014s are not even on the website yet. If there are differences people would already know about it if they are indeed already shipping. I guess I don't understand why the dealer would sell you a 2014 when there are still 2013s all over the place.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #18009
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
cug, every city in Europe would grind to a halt if motorcycles didn't filter (lane split) through the gridlock. Once you're used to doing it and the cage drivers expect it, it's not really too dangerous.
This is not Europe. The car drivers over here are morons when it comes to lane-splitting. Not only do they not give a shit, they actually go out of their way to stop you. Being from England, I really miss splitting lanes.

That said, loud pipes as a way to help protect yourself is just retarded thinking.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #18010
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

That said, loud pipes as a way to help protect yourself is just retarded thinking.

All anyone needs to do to verify this statement is ask the Police, Fire, and Ambulance drivers how often other drivers pull out in front of them or cut them off, despite the wailing 120 db sirens and flashing lights.

I compare loud pipes to deer whistles. A deer might hear the whistle, which does nothing to help the rider know which way it is going to run.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #18011
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #18012
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 133
Anyone out there using the Madstad windshield? Can you post a close up of the side brackets and how they mount onto the side of the headlight assembly and the back of the mounting plate. I've been finagling it for a while and am wondering if they sent the wrong bracket, wrong plate or if I just need to start drinking again?

Posted this in windshields, too, but it doesn't get the traffic this thread does.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #18013
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I changed my commute from 101 to 280 (from SF to Redwood Shores) to limit line splitting when my baby was born so I sympathize with the desire of more conspicuity to reduce risk.

But when I did commute on 101 I found that more than noise what drivers responded to was head light modulator (that was on my weestrom). I would turn it on on high whenever I was line splitting and the difference is quite noticeable: people do get out of your way. In fact that's how I'd notice if I forgot to turn it on: people would drift into the lane with it off.

As a side note, when I asked about headlight modulators for the Tiger on this forum I got a reaction similar to what you're getting: "it doesn't work, you don't need it".

Quote:
I just don't get why folks jump to so many conclusions around this subject in this forum. Relative anonymity?

Whether stock, or LV, my Tiger is nowhere near as loud as a gawdawful Harley, nor would I want it to be. I live a block from the popular Redwood road. I don't ever hear any of the myriad bikes that fire up and down it, regardless of pipes or mods, except for the Harleys. We can hear every single one.

Cug, just because I want a little more margin around me doesn't make me a puss who should 'ride the bus'. C'mon. That's just being kind of a dick.
I'm a father of a little girl and I want to try to be as safe as I can, while still riding a motorcycle. Yes, I split lanes. The fucking traffic every morning on the 580 is stopped, for several miles. Who wouldn't split?

You live in the bay and must well know the traffic hurdles we all face. Staying noticed is important. All the time. It's why I want just a little more noise from my bike, it's why I wear a white helmet and a contrasty black and white jacket.

Please move along, guys. This subject isn't worth the time in this forum. I'll go it alone without the peanut gallery. I am truly sorry I asked the question in the first place.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #18014
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The 2014s are not even on the website yet. If there are differences people would already know about it if they are indeed already shipping. I guess I don't understand why the dealer would sell you a 2014 when there are still 2013s all over the place.
I am not buying a bike !
The bike I am getting is not coming from a dealer.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #18015
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks TDV for supplying a reasonable reply amidst the self appointed expert BS.

All these folks and their knowledge make me realize why the general non-riding public think motorcycle riders are a bunch of ass-hats.

Here's a brief story for the experts.
This morning I put my LV back on, after the exchanges here yesterday, to see if my commute would be any different from what it had been all week (since I'd put the stocker back on last weekend). Sure, enough, during the very slow moving lane splitting session folks perked up and apparently looked in their rear view mirrors and many more cars moved over to the left than had earlier in the week. It was super obvious, and empirically revealing.

Moreover, as I was riding a faster stretch, around 50 mph, I heard a bike (a late FZ1) come up behind me, clearly, through my helmet and the wind noise (and over my LV sound). I made room to let him by, and saw he had some nice looking aftermarket cans. Big openings, but not super loud. Louder than stock, but not stoopid or lame.

I couldn't care less if I convince anyone else that this matters, but I will not, not defend common sense and empirical observations over BS, small-dick bluster, and other spew.

Browneye - I've been riding nearly 20 years. Much of it commuting in the SF Bay area, or Albuquerque. Both harrowing places to ride even when not commuting. I may not post as frequently as an old, fat guy, but I'm not new to riding.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote