Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #18106
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Heated grips problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
I put new grips on my bike and as a result the oem heatd grip (left hand) no longer works. I have a feeling I shorted out the circuit when cutting off the left grip (Triumph used quite a bit of glue). Is this fixable? Or, do I need to buy a new element and new grips? If I need to buy a new element do I need to buy triumph or can I use some from the local dirt bike shop (Moose, I believe). Thanks in advance.
I would say you need a new set of heated grips. The Triumph heated grips come assembled(as you found out) as a unit. It was not their intention to make them serviceable for grip replacement.

That's my take on it.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #18107
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
I would say you need a new set of heated grips. The Triumph heated grips come assembled(as you found out) as a unit. It was not their intention to make them serviceable for grip replacement.

That's my take on it.
+1. Your not supposed to remove those grips w/out the heating element too.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #18108
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post

That's my take on it.

+1. Your not supposed to remove those grips w/out the heating element too.

Seems a little short sighted of Triumph. Hopefully I can accomplish this without trashing new grips.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #18109
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Hey Crabby if you do have to replace the grips, I would seriously suggest going aftermarket rather than OEM. You can get a better set up for less than half the price.

Just a suggestion.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #18110
cledus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
chain slap

well got me a new 13 tiger 800 xc,and got over 2100 miles on it in 2 weeks.and please someone help me with this..on washboard gravel the chain is hitting hard on the bottom of the swing arm and driving me nuts.it is not the stand or exhaust .i have read lots of things but not a anwser yet...called truimph and they said i would get some,but it sounds like it is going to fly to pieces...HELP..CLEDUS
cledus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #18111
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledus View Post
well got me a new 13 tiger 800 xc,and got over 2100 miles on it in 2 weeks.and please someone help me with this..on washboard gravel the chain is hitting hard on the bottom of the swing arm and driving me nuts.it is not the stand or exhaust .i have read lots of things but not a anwser yet...called truimph and they said i would get some,but it sounds like it is going to fly to pieces...HELP..CLEDUS

Did YOU adjust your chain correctly?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #18112
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,030
Yeah, sounds like a loose chain. 2100 is enough for initial stretch, probly needs to be taken up a tad. I get a bit but nothing dramatic.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #18113
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29

Just installed an Akrapovic pipe, it sounds better than Arrow to me, the dealer programmed the Arrow tune and it seems a lot more responsive, Akrapovic claims 5-6hp gain, not sure if true but it feel true.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #18114
cledus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
chain

had tires changed at dealer and took down road and still did it.manual says .8 to 1.2 but i think needs to be thighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, sounds like a loose chain. 2100 is enough for initial stretch, probly needs to be taken up a tad. I get a bit but nothing dramatic.
cledus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #18115
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
had tires changed at dealer and took down road and still did it.manual says .8 to 1.2 but i think needs to be thighter.
Which is why I capitalized YOU in my statement. Did YOU set it or are you relying on someone else? Don't rely on someone else.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #18116
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
DO NOT go tighter, you will do more damage, a tight chain is a bad chain.

Mine was stretched to about 1.8" when I did 6K service and I never noticed chain noise, only side stand.

Wear ear plugs, you'll never notice it

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #18117
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:

Adjust your Preload and Damping settings on your rear shock. The settings are in the manual. Same problem but this fixed it
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #18118
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmatas View Post
I've been reading this forum for a long time but didnt register until now!

Took a minor spill with my Tiger at about 30km/h on asphalt with some gravel. No other damages except this here....

And since i live in Greece where there are no insurances to pay you back if you crash on your own, i will try to repair it (not alone ofc) and will let you know about how it goes. I hope it can be fixed because a new frame costs about 2300 euros and i cant afford that tbh.
Bummer dude. Looks like you should be ok repairing it as long as you don't put any luggage back on, or passengers....

I'd make sure to take it to a certified welder, not just your local shop with a guy and a torch. I'd even go so far as to request a dye penetration test if you are not going to replace the frame.

I'd send it to Triumph with the pictures as this is why everyone has been asking for a replaceable rear subframe.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #18119
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Wear ear plugs, you'll never notice it
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #18120
jimmatas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Bummer dude. Looks like you should be ok repairing it as long as you don't put any luggage back on, or passengers....

I'd make sure to take it to a certified welder, not just your local shop with a guy and a torch. I'd even go so far as to request a dye penetration test if you are not going to replace the frame.

I'd send it to Triumph with the pictures as this is why everyone has been asking for a replaceable rear subframe.

Without a doubt the welder will be a certified one and i've found a couple motorcycle only welders and "calibrators" i think they are called. Thing is i dont know how much will it cost me to fix it , hopefully much less than a new frame. About the passengers and luggage i dont think it should be a problem after the repair but if it is, lucky me i always ride alone.
jimmatas is offline   Reply With Quote