Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #18286
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Lately I've been noticing that (especially when the bike is cold, just starting off) the gear indicator on the dash will be a little confused about whether the bike is in 1st or 2nd. Issue seems to go away when the bike is warmed up. Anybody had a similar issue & what was the cause? Thinking some funkiness with the gear position sensor or adjustment (if it's adjustable).
My bike went through a period (several months) where it would not always pick up the correct gear right a way. I took some stuff apart but nothing seemed fixable. I was going to take the bike in for warranty work but I knew it wasn't consistent enough for them to be able to definitely see it. For whatever reason I don't seem to have any issues any more. I'm at about 20k miles now.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #18287
kurtphyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quick question. My girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday for a week long trek through the alps. Is there a way I can stiffin my XC's suspension? I'm thinking our combined weight plus luggage will be around 500 lbs. Also, should I increase the tire pressures a bit?
kurtphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #18288
Steigs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Lately I've been noticing that (especially when the bike is cold, just starting off) the gear indicator on the dash will be a little confused about whether the bike is in 1st or 2nd. Issue seems to go away when the bike is warmed up. Anybody had a similar issue & what was the cause? Thinking some funkiness with the gear position sensor or adjustment (if it's adjustable).
There was some talk of the same issue on the Tiger forum.

Seems a few people were able to have it fixed under warranty.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,5326.0.html
Steigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #18289
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,183
Question Raising XC suspention

Has anyone raised or jacked up the XC suspension with longer links?
I'm thinking about jacking up the suspension about 1" for weekend trail rides.
I found these fixed links:
http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspensi...k-up-kits.html
Has anyone found adjustable ones?

I understand it will change the handling characteristics and what not.
Any feedback is appreciated

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #18290
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Roadie >>> XC

So I've had my Roadie for about 20 months and 15k. Loved everything about the bike - the motor (of course), the fit, the handling, the reliability, the fact that it's made in England, had custom satin black paint, etc.

Everything but the suspension. I don't weigh much and the stock suspension just didn't do it for me. Harsh, short travel, and a daily thumping on the crap roads in my area were starting to tire me out.

So I traded up to an XC - which was the bike I talked myself out of when I bought the Roadie (since I was coming off a Tiger 1050, I thought the Roadie would be an upgrade in versatility).

I'm in love all over again. Glad I didn't move to another brand, another bike. Now I love absolutely everything about the Tiger 800!

Old one on the right - new on the left.
Yeah, I stayed with black. It's how I roll.

I know on another forum there's a thread about making the switch. Anyone on this forum done the same?
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #18291
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
So I've had my Roadie for about 20 months and 15k. Loved everything about the bike - the motor (of course), the fit, the handling, the reliability, the fact that it's made in England, had custom satin black paint, etc.

Everything but the suspension. I don't weigh much and the stock suspension just didn't do it for me. Harsh, short travel, and a daily thumping on the crap roads in my area were starting to tire me out.

So I traded up to an XC - which was the bike I talked myself out of when I bought the Roadie (since I was coming off a Tiger 1050, I thought the Roadie would be an upgrade in versatility).

I'm in love all over again. Glad I didn't move to another brand, another bike. Now I love absolutely everything about the Tiger 800!

I know on another forum there's a thread about making the switch. Anyone on this forum done the same?
I've been debating about doing the same. I know that for about $450 I can "fix" the front suspension with an upgrade kit from Racetech. However I would also like something that can handle two-up on rougher dirt roads better than my roadie and it seems like going to an XC would solve both of these issues albeit with a slight drop in on road sportiness. I'm at about 20km miles and still really enjoy my tiger so maybe with an XC I can get the best of both worlds with minimal compromise. The two biggest draw backs of the XC for me are the tubed tires which for a primarily street bike is kind of a pain (but tubeless conversions are available for a cost and a DIY rear conversion is cheap) and the higher, wider handlebars. I like the roadie's bar position better. Besides still debating I am waiting to see what, if any, improvements are made to the 2014 model and to see if there is any news regarding the anticipated entry from Yamaha into the ~800cc "adventure bike" market with their new triple.

Interested in any more thoughts of the comparison between the two as you put more miles on the XC. Both great bikes.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #18292
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post

I have an XC and the only thing keeping me from loving this bike is the suspension. I have the bounce issue. I hope yours does not. Looks like it will cost me anywhere from $500-$1300 to fix it. Fun times...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #18293
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I've been debating about doing the same. I know that for about $450 I can "fix" the front suspension with an upgrade kit from Racetech. However I would also like something that can handle two-up on rougher dirt roads better than my roadie and it seems like going to an XC would solve both of these issues albeit with a slight drop in on road sportiness. I'm at about 20km miles and still really enjoy my tiger so maybe with an XC I can get the best of both worlds with minimal compromise. The two biggest draw backs of the XC for me are the tubed tires which for a primarily street bike is kind of a pain (but tubeless conversions are available for a cost and a DIY rear conversion is cheap) and the higher, wider handlebars. I like the roadie's bar position better. Besides still debating I am waiting to see what, if any, improvements are made to the 2014 model and to see if there is any news regarding the anticipated entry from Yamaha into the ~800cc "adventure bike" market with their new triple.

Interested in any more thoughts of the comparison between the two as you put more miles on the XC. Both great bikes.
No complaints other than that I need to keep an eye on the wheel bearing seals and spacers. I do a lot of dirt and mud and the rear chain side seal and bearing are in need of replacing and the spacer has grooves worn in it. Front is getting close.

I've done a little bit of two up on dirt roads and hero I/II and it performed flawlessly. The ride seams to improve with the added weight.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #18294
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
I have an XC and the only thing keeping me from loving this bike is the suspension. I have the bounce issue. I hope yours does not. Looks like it will cost me anywhere from $500-$1300 to fix it. Fun times...
+1. A real turn off to an otherwise exceptional bike. Runs smooth with Battlewings but anything else and it bounces like crazy, and not just a little bit.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #18295
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'd heard a little about the bounce and battlewings and, I guess, just presumed it was an isolated case specific to that tire.

The bike I rode home on yesterday is shoed with Scorpion Trails - the same tire my Roadie had on in stock and I loved them. Smooth, great in the rain. OK on hard packed dirt roads. Replaced them with Anakee 3's in anticipation of a trip this fall (gotta rethink it all now with the new XC!) and got some bounce on those tires. They are very sensitive to air pressure fluctuations - like 1-2lbs of pressure one way or the other off recommended and they bounce at specific speeds (like all tires, but way more sensitive).

Could the battlewing issue be similar?
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #18296
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFXC View Post
+1. A real turn off to an otherwise exceptional bike. Runs smooth with Battlewings but anything else and it bounces like crazy, and not just a little bit.
I'm up to 8K miles and have run stock wings 600 miles, Full Bore 5500 miles, and Scorpion Rally front with TKC80 rear, and have no bouncing or handling issues

Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #18297
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I'm up to 8K miles and have run stock wings 600 miles, Full Bore 5500 miles, and Scorpion Rally front with TKC80 rear, and have no bouncing or handling issues
No bounce with Heidendau's for 8000+ miles and still a lot of tread to go

edited to change 800+ to 8000+ miles

doxbike screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 08:48 AM
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #18298
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Mine bounced so bad with Kenda big blocks on it destroyed the front on one trip. Put Heideneau K60's on and it still bounced. Took them right off as I didnt want to destroy an expensive tire (now they just sit in my garage). Dealer put a completely new tire/rim set up on my bike with new battlewings and it bounced. They then put the original battlewings that came with the bike back on and it is smooth....for now.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #18299
Moonsorrow
Jesus

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtphyre View Post
Quick question. My girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday for a week long trek through the alps. Is there a way I can stiffin my XC's suspension? I'm thinking our combined weight plus luggage will be around 500 lbs. Also, should I increase the tire pressures a bit?
By now this reply comes too late I guess, but for future rides; yes you can. Just check the owners manual, the rebound adjustment is done at the bottom link of the shock. You should also use (maximize if 2 up) the preload. Front end is non-adjustable , except you can (at the cost of some ground clearance) lower the front forks in their clamps for sharper steering but less stability.
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #18300
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Has anyone raised or jacked up the XC suspension with longer links?
I'm thinking about jacking up the suspension about 1" for weekend trail rides.
I found these fixed links:
http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspensi...k-up-kits.html
Has anyone found adjustable ones?

I understand it will change the handling characteristics and what not.
Any feedback is appreciated
I have their 15mm riser dog bones (pretty sure they are shorter than stock) on a Roadie - bike was dragging hard parts too much in the corners for me. It mostly solved the problem and geometry didn't change enough to be really noticeable. Not sure what the 30mm risers would be like (raising the rear quickens steering), but you might have a kickstand issue.