Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #18331
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Yep just trying to help someone out who might not know . I learned these tricks by reading these forums. Things fail and accidents happen . Just don't want anyone getting hurt.
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #18332
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Easy Francis, folks are just trying to help. Additionally, anyone can make a mistake.
Seems to me that folks were primarily trying to pass themselves off as the authority on how to secure a bike to a trailer. When the simple fact was that Murphy was being a particular SOB that day and it wouldn't have much mattered what I did short of teleporting the bikes to their final destination. Wasn't asking for advice. Didn't need it. Wouldn't have done anything different either, with the possible exception of checking the straps before we pulled out of that last stop like I had every other stop all day up to that point.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #18333
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Now I know why a friend of mine has stepped back from ADVrider.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #18334
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
If that person was any kind of a friend he wouldn't have kept it a secret from you. Now that you mention it though something just hasn't seemed the same around here lately and I am sure it's because your friend has "stepped back".
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #18335
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If that person was any kind of a friend he wouldn't have kept it a secret from you. Now that you mention it though something just hasn't seemed the same around here lately and I am sure it's because your friend has "stepped back".
He was very active, he was a part time moderator in a few forums. But he noted the A/H content was getting to him.

Why fark up a hobby with dealing with ingrates.

I know I am not helping, I am being somewhat of an AH right back. 99.8% percent of the people on the board seem to be great people. And I can get defensive. But to call other people "self appointed experts", when you are basically doing the same thing is kinda the worst kind pot calling the kettle black.

Eck fark it, the Tiger 800 is a great machine, to all ride safe.

TxLoneRider screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:55 PM Reason: spelling/wording
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #18336
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Wasn't asking for advice. Didn't need it.........................
Posted something on the interweb and is then surprised when folks comment on it.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #18337
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
We started a new regional forum because the local ADV AH's wouldn't let us plan rides without being the peanut gallery. There are 150 members on the 'new' forum. ADV is what it is. Riders from all over the world. As the mods say, don't be thin-skinned.

This is a pretty damned mellow thread - we're all Tiger riders. What can go wrong?

Y'all want a chuckle, here's a new Honda NC700 owner that's just sure his bike is at least if not more fun than a Triumph Tiger, and for $4000 less... no less!! No matter how diplomatically I tried to explain the differences, he just isn't gonna give up. There's no accounting for rider experience, and he's never even ridden one:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907518&page=5

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #18338
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
don't be thin-skinned.
For the most part I've got pretty thick skin. From what I've been told I am one of the easiest to get along with engineers here at work, go figure

Quote:
This is a pretty damned mellow thread - we're all Tiger riders. What can go wrong?
aiy!

Quote:
Y'all want a chuckle, here's a new Honda NC700 owner that's just sure his bike is at least if not more fun than a Triumph Tiger, and for $4000 less... no less!! No matter how diplomatically I tried to explain the differences, he just isn't gonna give up. There's no accounting for rider experience, and he's never even ridden one:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907518&page=5
That is funny. For that matter my '09 KLR was perfectly capable except for 2 things, I wish it could have handled a little more cargo, my girl'ish figure runs in at about 265lbs, with luggage I was pushing the old girl. And she needed another 30 HP and better tolerance for altitude changes. Yeah, I know, both could have been helped, but it was worth it to have a stock Tiger 800XC that is as comfortable as the KLR650 (with Sargent seat and double bubble screen). The Tiger has a closed loop EFI and better suspension.

But, at the end of the day the KLR was more than capable of handling "long sweepers" at the speed at which I take them. Hell, a Ninja 250 could. It just ain't worth pushing the limits now. I have left my boy racer days behind me.

I will say, he is definitely pushing the limits of the boy racer image with a NC700 I will say I have been positively happy with the handling of the Tiger. It really does everything I could want out of a bike, except, every once in a while, I would love to have my FJR1300 back for the locomotive electric like acceleration.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #18339
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Seems to me that folks were primarily trying to pass themselves off as the authority on how to secure a bike to a trailer. When the simple fact was that Murphy was being a particular SOB that day and it wouldn't have much mattered what I did short of teleporting the bikes to their final destination. Wasn't asking for advice. Didn't need it. Wouldn't have done anything different either, with the possible exception of checking the straps before we pulled out of that last stop like I had every other stop all day up to that point.
As has been pointed out, you posted in a thread on a discussion forum and as such you will get discussion... go figure.

Now, calmly keep reading and learning. For instance, I have learned a LOT about human nature just by reading M/C discussion forums!
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #18340
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post

Now, calmly keep reading and learning. For instance, I have learned a LOT about human nature just by reading M/C discussion forums!
+1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #18341
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
So when you double strap (err, quadruple strap) the front, how do you ensure the tension is identical on all straps so you're not nodding at how smart you were when the loose one wiggles free, or the over-tightened one fails?
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #18342
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Wow. !!!
"We mock what we don't understand ". - Austin Milbarge
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #18343
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Lately I've been noticing that (especially when the bike is cold, just starting off) the gear indicator on the dash will be a little confused about whether the bike is in 1st or 2nd. Issue seems to go away when the bike is warmed up. Anybody had a similar issue & what was the cause? Thinking some funkiness with the gear position sensor or adjustment (if it's adjustable).
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #18344
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Lately I've been noticing that (especially when the bike is cold, just starting off) the gear indicator on the dash will be a little confused about whether the bike is in 1st or 2nd. Issue seems to go away when the bike is warmed up. Anybody had a similar issue & what was the cause? Thinking some funkiness with the gear position sensor or adjustment (if it's adjustable).
My bike went through a period (several months) where it would not always pick up the correct gear right a way. I took some stuff apart but nothing seemed fixable. I was going to take the bike in for warranty work but I knew it wasn't consistent enough for them to be able to definitely see it. For whatever reason I don't seem to have any issues any more. I'm at about 20k miles now.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #18345
kurtphyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quick question. My girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday for a week long trek through the alps. Is there a way I can stiffin my XC's suspension? I'm thinking our combined weight plus luggage will be around 500 lbs. Also, should I increase the tire pressures a bit?
kurtphyre is offline   Reply With Quote