Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #18541
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
All CAN Bus circuits have timing and priority on the packets of information. Critical items (oil pressure, water temperature, throttle position, etc) will have far more frequent and higher priority on the network than do less critical info bits - fuel level for example.

You may also have delays built in while different processors talk to each other to establish clear communication. Specific packets of information are sent that must be mirrored back in a defined time. Until each processor involved has signaled that clear communication exists between each processor on the network, other CAN communication will be restricted or even shut off.

Depending on the sequence of events leading to a shutdown/restart situation, a delay may be built into the software to insure there is no lost packets or corrupted packets of info on the network leading to the shutdown. Once the software is satisfied there is no network or hardware fault, then normal CAN communication resumes with full function.

Sorry for the geeky explanation......its what I have to do at work at times But hopefully it makes sense
That explanation was exactly what I had hoped for! Thank you for the info Rich B.

In addition, Triumph's design to only utilize CANbus for engine/ECM communication is very beneficial to us. The advantages to CAN minimize wiring and simplify some electronics. The fact that Triumph does not extend CAN throughout the bike as BMW does, is an added bonus. It allows us all to load up and wire in all of our added gadgetry with no extra adapters, etc. Is also allows us to change lights and not get an array of fault codes, such as my BMW buddy is fighting with right now.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #18542
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I should have known canibus was involved
akakakakaka
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #18543
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Anyone have a USA source for the Triumph LED turn indicators p/n A9830047?

Looks like they have been discontinued, can't find em ... may have to order from the UK on eBay.
You may be looking at the old part number if it's showing no stock. They were recalled and have a much more flexible stem on them since they were breaking a lot. A call to the dealer might help if you can't verify it.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #18544
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If I had tune ecu I would do it, but I wouldn't buy one just for that. The bike can be hot when it's hot out, slow speed. I like to get moving again or shut it down.

I'll bet you would have a hard time finding a thermostat that matched but I could be wrong, I have not looked at it. Still, with a computer controlled and sensored motor my inclination would be to leave the stat at that temp since that's what it was spec'd by the factory. OTH maybe it wouldn't hurt it to circulate coolant earlier. I do like that the bike warms up right away though.

Operating clearances, oil spec, fueling, is all based on a target operating temp. I'm not sure changing that would be of benefit.
Unless you were really cooking the bike all the time in the desert and always run in hotter environments, then maybe dropping the setting and running a slightly thinner oil would be ok. What that combo is, I don't know. Otherwise, you aren't operating efficiently if you don't reach full temp.

Do you want to be at ideal temperature, or the bike? That's the question.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #18545
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
The heat issue on the new 800XC has been discussed elsewhere on ADV Rider but can’t find it now. One post went something like this:

"Get your bike plugged into Tuneecu and you can alter the temperature the fan comes on. Mine is now set at 95 degrees (Std. is 103C) and the heat is much more bearable."

Good info, but we started pondering the info:

MotoTex added, “Notice they are using Celsius if you make this change. That's changing from cycling the fan on when coolant temp is at 221 F (stock) to it coming on at 203 F instead. The fan might come on more often, but the breeze off the fan will be a little cooler.”

My thoughts were before changing the fan settings, change the thermostat say a 160-180 degree thermostat like you could in the older automobiles to run cooler. That and the fan reprogram would make a huge difference.

The thermostat looks to be very similar to an auto thermostat. See #29 in diagram. “Usually the temp it triggers at is stamped into the part. Pull the part, take it to an auto parts store and see what could be found to drop in its place.”

Parts list

Whatever thermostat one might choose, the fan would need to be adjusted accordingly.

Points to consider:

· What is operating temp of the Tiger? 203? It can be measured easily.
· At what temp does the fan turn on? 221?
· So, if you put a 190 degree stat in, fan turned on at 203, you still pretty close to stock operating temp of 203, but 25-30 degrees cooler.

Everyone seems to agree that richer is better and recommends remapping, but you would not really need to under these circumstances.

Sounds good anyway.
I wouldn't change the thermostat because it's that that decides when your engine is up to "normal operating temperature". If you fit one that opens earlier/cooler, on cold days your engine may not reach that ideal temperature and, therefore, engine clearances and tolerances will not be ideal.
By altering when the fan kicks in you don't mess with any of the above. You're just starting to blow air through the radiator at lower temperatures.

And yes, I was using degrees Celcius as that's what comes up on the Tuneecu screen.

Of course, the other problem with fitting a different thermostat is that you've got to strip half the bike off to get at it.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #18546
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I wouldn't change the thermostat because it's that that decides when your engine is up to "normal operating temperature". If you fit one that opens earlier/cooler, on cold days your engine may not reach that ideal temperature and, therefore, engine clearances and tolerances will not be ideal.
By altering when the fan kicks in you don't mess with any of the above. You're just starting to blow air through the radiator at lower temperatures.
Agreed. Engines are designed to run at certain temps, throughout.

By getting an earlier start on cooler radiator temps, you'll better control the engine coolant temp. It's sorta' like the same concept of a larger radiator that offers more reserve, but, ideally allows the coolant more time in the core to get cooled down. Starting the fan earlier is the next-best thing.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #18547
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Agreed. Engines are designed to run at certain temps, throughout.

By getting an earlier start on cooler radiator temps, you'll better control the engine coolant temp. It's sorta' like the same concept of a larger radiator that offers more reserve, but, ideally allows the coolant more time in the core to get cooled down. Starting the fan earlier is the next-best thing.
Yep, what he said.........
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #18548
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Bloody hell, I swear some people should be driving cars not riding bikes

If it gets hot (and shocker, internal combustion engines get hot) then open your bloody legs a little so you can get some air between your legs and the bike. Works for me every time....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #18549
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
You may be looking at the old part number if it's showing no stock. They were recalled and have a much more flexible stem on them since they were breaking a lot. A call to the dealer might help if you can't verify it.
Wasn't it the regular turn indicators, not the LED ones, that were breaking?

The LED indicators are no longer even displayed on shop.triumphmotorcycles.com.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #18550
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Wasn't it the regular turn indicators, not the LED ones, that were breaking?

The LED indicators are no longer even displayed on shop.triumphmotorcycles.com.
Hmm, I think you were right. Got me there. I like the LED aftermarket ones. They are shorter, but don't flex much, so if you have a rack on back you should be fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #18551
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

If it gets hot (and shocker, internal combustion engines get hot) then open your bloody legs a little so you can get some air between your legs and the bike. Works for me every time....

+1
Commute in 112F degree weather, don't see a problem.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #18552
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Agreed! "I sit on an engine and there is heat coming from it, waaaaa...." Shocking!
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #18553
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Talking

I was just devastated to learn that when you straddle an internal combustion engine, you would feel heat

Shocked, shocked I tells ya

Who woulda thunk it?

Who knew heat was a byproduct of an internal combustion engine.........there ought a be a law

Rich B screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 01:23 PM
Rich B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #18554
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1
Commute in 112F degree weather, don't see a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Agreed! "I sit on an engine and there is heat coming from it, waaaaa...." Shocking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I was just devastated to learn that when you straddle an internal combustion engine, you would feel heat

Shocked, shocked I tells ya

Who woulda thunk it?

Who knew heat was a byproduct of an internal combustion engine.........lathered ought a be a law

I agree with you guys, heat has never been a problem on my bikes. But just like helmets, windshields, seats etc. heat is a very personal thing and affects some people differently. My wife is very sensitive to heat and she's had to sell a bike she loved because it cooked her, a Ninja 650. Hers was the first year they came out and a few years after that Kawasaki redesigned the fairing to direct the heat away from the rider. Same for the FJR, the newer ones are way better than they were a few years ago for heat management. So yes you can say a motor gets hot deal with it, but sometimes there's something to be done to the bike that can help with radiated heat. The Tiger gets a bit hotter than my Honda CBF used to but so far no issues for me, even riding stop and go in 90-100 degree heat.

As a postscript, my wife has owned her Street Triple R for 3 years and says she's never selling it, and hasn't complained about the heat once. Ride naked.

http://faithcottage.smugmug.com/Moto...io%20018-L.jpg

I'm counting to see how many of FF's click on the link.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #18555
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
^^ But you've posted that pic before...
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote