User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #18646
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Utility vehicle

I needed to haul a bail of straw to cover the grass seed I sowed this morning. The guy said he'd never seen anyone haul straw on a 'cycle before. I replied, "me either".

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #18647
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Anyone know what size the torque/star bit is for the front rotors? I need to replace the bent one with this nice new one and I don't have the correct size bit.
I got a set of bigger sizes that you can put a socket on. Remind me in the morning to bring them with me and I can stop at your place first before B&B (burgers n beer)
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #18648
btao
Pwned

note: I did NOT say nudge me.

just trying to fend off any wise cracks from you hooligans
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #18649
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Anyone know what size the torque/star bit is for the front rotors? I need to replace the bent one with this nice new one and I don't have the correct size bit.
Front rotor takes T-40 torx bit. Torque to 22n or 16ft lbs.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #18650
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Front rotor takes T-40 torx bit. Torque to 22n or 16ft lbs.
Thanks Digger, so the torque is halfway between damn tight and friggin tight
I found a torque bit size table and measured screws with calipers and I also came up with #40

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #18651
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
I needed to haul a bail of straw to cover the grass seed I sowed this morning. The guy said he'd never seen anyone haul straw on a 'cycle before. I replied, "me either".
There's got to be a redneck joke in there somewhere...
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #18652
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Lake Stevens, eh? Wifey's folks are in Marysville, her best friend in Lake Stevens.

I grew up in LS...was pretty rural, then. LSHS, class of '82...
bassogap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #18653
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Is there some trick to shimming these engines?

I tore it down for the 12k service on the 13th of this month. The intakes were good but the exhausts were all off (tight). Most ranging around .227 - .290 clearance.

So I bought the appropriate shims and put it back together. I measured everything before buttoning it up and found that I was still off. It all came apart again and new shims were installed. Once again I double checked everything and found that I was still off. Things were getting closer but certainly not where they should have been, and still, way under spec (tight).

This is the formula I've been using to get the needed shim size.

A= (B-C) + D

A. New shim thickness
B. Recorded valve clearance
C. Specified valve clearance (.325- .375) (exhaust 800 XC)
D. Old shim thickness

I have pulled these cams out and re-re-re-re-re shimmed this bitch no less than 8 times since the 13th and am ready to throw a match on the POS and call my insurance agent.

I started it yesterday and all I heard was valve clatter. It wasn't the hydraulic tensioner I heard, it was valves. I measured everything an hour ago and everything was still around .250 -.330 +/- (nothing loose and most still too tight). WTF?!

I'm not a bad mechanic but this thing is making a complete fool outta me. What am I doing wrong?
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #18654
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Sounds like you're using inches instead of mm, so I'm at a loss with your numbers (which is odd coming from a yank that builds boats) but shims come in .05mm increments. Seems your math is correct. I just figure what the next size up or down is, added or subtracted to the shim that's in there to give me the right clearance based on what my feeler gauge is saying. If the clerance is .10mm and I need 15 and the one that is in there is marked 235 then I get a 230.

Are you sure you got the cam chain tensioner set right? They can be tricky.
Are you getting different clearance figures when you reinstall the cams?
Are you measuring in the right place?

I've never had to change more than a size up or down to get the proper clearance. But I haven't done the tiger either.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #18655
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,586
If you want more clearance you need a thinner shim.

Wouldn't it be A = D - (C - B)?

Using the above example:

D = 235
C = 15
B = 10
235 - 5 = 230
A = 230

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #18656
jolly green giant
biggles

Oddometer: 84
Revs at 90 mph

New to this thread. I am considering buying a Tiger 800 both for commuting and touring and was wondering what kind of revs the engine reaches while doing 90 mph. I currently have a GS and a Varadero and both seem to hang around 5000 revs at 90 mph which leaves the engine note at low pitch.
jolly green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #18657
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly green giant View Post
New to this thread. I am considering buying a Tiger 800 both for commuting and touring and was wondering what kind of revs the engine reaches while doing 90 mph. I currently have a GS and a Varadero and both seem to hang around 5000 revs at 90 mph which leaves the engine note at low pitch.
With stock gearing you'll be well over 6,000rpm. For me at 6k I'm doing 133km/h or so (approx 83mph)
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #18658
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly green giant View Post
This is one of the interesting differences in the Tiger vs F800GS, and one of distinction. I just finished reading the comparo in Motorcyclist Mag that also highlighted this, so I'll share my 2c after a half hour test ride on the GS.

The Tiger engine with its 3 cylinders is a beautifully revving engine with a 9,800RPM redline and makes more power higher in the range. The GS was "industrial" in the linear manner it provided power. It wasn't impressive, but functional. It's said to be an advantage on the trail but I wasn't able to test. If you spend any time at all on the road, the Tiger will be more fun.

The GS got very vibratious over 6000RPM and felt like you were pushing it beyond its comfort zone. It was fine when it was in the sweet spot. Because you never wanted to push the GS it always seems to get better gas mileage.

The Tiger is just way too much fun to wwWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!! up in the range. And it's silky smooth the whole time. It was like a completely different machine once I got past the break in period and could use the throttle and rest of the range. My cheeks were sore from that ride because I was grinning so much...

Yea, the GS may be slightly better off road, but the Tiger, to me, was better if you were 50/50 because you could have fun on the trails, but still have fun on street rides rather than just riding around. All you need to wrestle with is what tires...
Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #18659
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,450
Has anyone update their XC ABS to tune 20769?

If so, are there any noticeable changes?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #18660
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Sounds like you're using inches instead of mm, so I'm at a loss with your numbers (which is odd coming from a yank that builds boats) but shims come in .05mm increments. Seems your math is correct. I just figure what the next size up or down is, added or subtracted to the shim that's in there to give me the right clearance based on what my feeler gauge is saying. If the clerance is .10mm and I need 15 and the one that is in there is marked 235 then I get a 230.

Are you sure you got the cam chain tensioner set right? They can be tricky.
Are you getting different clearance figures when you reinstall the cams?
Are you measuring in the right place?

I've never had to change more than a size up or down to get the proper clearance. But I haven't done the tiger either.
All measurements are in mm.

I'm certain my math is right but the feeler gauge says I'm wrong. Apparently I'm not getting accurate measurements with the feeler gauge.

The cam chain tensioner is set right. Measurements are taken while the lobe is strait up and the bucket is resting against the cams base circle.

I'm getting different measurements when I re-install the cams, but that's because I have new/different shims in place when the cams go back in. Unfortunately these numbers do not always reflect the changes that should have occurred with the new shim. Again, I believe I am not getting an accurate/consistent reading with the feeler gauge. Bending the gauge to squeeze it into place is throwing my accuracy waaaay off.

For those that have shimmed an XC, what type of feeler gauge did you use? How did you get accurate measurements?
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote