Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #18646
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
ObTiger800... Starting with the day I rode it home (in the rain), my XC has somehow managed to fill the right handwarmer pocket of my Aerostich with water. I thought that was odd, and slightly annoying, but whatever. Yesterday I let a friend ride it; he had the same experience. Does anyone else find that when they ride in the rain, and they're wearing a Roadcrafter, that water somehow gets into those pockets? I don't just mean damp inside, I mean actual standing water...
Could be the shape of the tank. I've noticed that water runs up along the top surface of the tank and then the wind takes it off the trailing edge and away. Great for keeping your thighs dry but I guess if that pocket is in the area of that trailing edge, all that water could chanel itself in there.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #18647
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,638
What is this port?

I was updating the tune on my bike's ECU, and while it was resetting adaption, I did an exam of the engine.

For the first time that I can remember, I noticed this port on the right side transmission case. I am guessing it's a vent of some sort, but want to clarify. At first, I thought that I'd lost some sort of bolt or plug from it, but photos online of the engine show the same as mine; it's open.

Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #18648
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,473
I figured that was used for something during assembly.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #18649
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Man... that's a beautiful engine isn't it? I love my Tiger, wish I could ride out all day every day.

PS, don't know about the 'port' thing, don't worry if it's not bleeding anything. I'd be more concerned about being at the low end of oil fill, I keep mine 3/4 to full. If it's on the center stand in the pic I would check it, if you're on the side stand cool.

Edit to add --> Oh and BTW, way to freaken' clean.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #18650
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,638
Not my bike, it is a pic I pulled from a Google search when looking for examples.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #18651
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Stiff gas cap lock

One of those things I keep forgetting to ask about... When opening or closing the gas cap, the key is fairly hard to turn- tighter than any other bike I've ever owned.

Is this normal, common, not unusual, not a big deal, or something to get fixed?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #18652
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
One of those things I keep forgetting to ask about... When opening or closing the gas cap, the key is fairly hard to turn- tighter than any other bike I've ever owned.

It does seem pretty hard to move but I don't think its anything to worry about. I just press down on the latch slightly and turn the key gently, every time. There was a post somewhere about someone breaking their key off in their tank lock by putting too much force on the key. Not sure if that was a tiger 800 or another triumph.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #18653
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,298
Quote:

It's a positive seal lock, same as I have on my husky, and it's tight too. Just push down as you turn it to release some pressure on the lock tang from the seal.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #18654
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:

Squirt some Tri Flow in there and see what happens. Try TriFlowing the actual moving parts that are in the tank as well and see what happens.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #18655
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,614
Yesterday, washing the bike I noticed that the chain guard was broken. Specifically, the front-most tab that anchors it to the swing arm had broken off from the guard. The tab was still screwed in place, just not attached to the chain guard anymore.

Anybody else seen this? Maybe I'm keeping my chain too loose and it was able to strike the chain guard and break the tab off?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #18656
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
No more wind buffeting from stock windshield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Dare I say, best free mod for the XC.
Here's with the extra bolts for the stock mounting holes.
This is working out nicely.
Special thanks to Browneye whose post convinced me to experiment a little to eliminate my windshield buffeting. I am 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I usually am wearing a Fox Titan Sport Jacket with chest armor. I also wear foam ear plugs. Stock the windshield made a lot of noise at speeds from 45mph to 70+ on my full face helmet even with the shield down. If I stood up on the bike I got into clean air and the buffeting stopped till I sat back down. So I just popped out the two middle bolts and tilted the shield back as shown below. Little to no buffeting. I tried the windshield in the the position Browneye used with his cut down shield but still got moderate buffeting. So I returned it back to the configuration shown below and now have almost no buffeting. A lot of air is on my chest now (a bit more than before) but I am in Texas and I like all the air I can get.

The only problem is now I am very tempted to pop open the face shield and just wear eye protection since the buffeting noise is much reduced in my helmet (perhaps none?).

jimhaleyscomet screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 06:41 AM
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #18657
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Special thanks to Browneye whose post convinced me to experiment a little to eliminate my windshield buffeting. I am 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I usually am wearing a Fox Titan Sport Jacket with chest armor. I also wear foam ear plugs. Stock the windshield made a lot of noise at speeds from 45mph to 70+ on my full face helmet even with the shield down. If I stood up on the bike I got into clean air and the buffeting stopped till I sat back down. So I just popped out the two middle bolts and tilted the shield back as shown below. Little to no buffeting. I tried the windshield in the the position Browneye used but still got moderate buffeting. So I returned it back to the configuration shown below and now have almost no buffeting. A lot of air is on my chest now (a bit more than before) but I am in Texas and I like all the air I can get.

The only problem is now I am very tempted to pop open the face shield and just wear eye protection since the buffeting noise is much reduced in my helmet (perhaps none?).

Why not just remove it and install a fly screen?

From here...
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=7649.0
"That's why i'm selling my Triumph flyscreen and visor. This screen works fantastic; no more helmet thumping but only a constant flow of wind. "

Another option, cut down stocker

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781106
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #18658
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
I installed my OEM heated grips today and everything went very smooth and works perfectly however after buttoning it all back up fuel guage doesn't work anymore. I have unplugged and plugged the fuel guage connector on the tank and made sure it clicked when connected but nothing. Please help. Thanks!
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #18659
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Kill switch is on, right? I keep forgetting the fuel gauge on this thing runs through the ECU, nothing works unless it's all ON.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #18660
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Why not just remove it and install a fly screen?
From here...
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=7649.0
"That's why i'm selling my Triumph flyscreen and visor. This screen works fantastic; no more helmet thumping but only a constant flow of wind. "
That's what I did.

I get the same weather protection (i.e., practically none, compared to the FJR), I still get my pockets filled with water, but at least I don't have a sore neck from the buffetting at the end of the day, and it's rare enough I can pick my Tiger out of a line-up.