Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #18661
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
All measurements are in mm.

I'm certain my math is right but the feeler gauge says I'm wrong. Apparently I'm not getting accurate measurements with the feeler gauge.

The cam chain tensioner is set right. Measurements are taken while the lobe is strait up and the bucket is resting against the cams base circle.

I'm getting different measurements when I re-install the cams, but that's because I have new/different shims in place when the cams go back in. Unfortunately these numbers do not always reflect the changes that should have occurred with the new shim. Again, I believe I am not getting an accurate/consistent reading with the feeler gauge. Bending the gauge to squeeze it into place is throwing my accuracy waaaay off.

For those that have shimmed an XC, what type of feeler gauge did you use? How did you get accurate measurements?
First, get a narrow set of feeler gauges that are bent or bend them. Use 'go, no-go' sizes.

Are you putting a micrometer on the shim or reading the etched number? My indy will mic them and then exchange what I had for what I need. Sometimes the number can get worn enough to be difficult to read.
Are you sure the cam bearings are getting properly seated?
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #18662
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
All measurements are in mm.

I'm certain my math is right but the feeler gauge says I'm wrong. Apparently I'm not getting accurate measurements with the feeler gauge.

The cam chain tensioner is set right. Measurements are taken while the lobe is strait up and the bucket is resting against the cams base circle.

I'm getting different measurements when I re-install the cams, but that's because I have new/different shims in place when the cams go back in. Unfortunately these numbers do not always reflect the changes that should have occurred with the new shim. Again, I believe I am not getting an accurate/consistent reading with the feeler gauge. Bending the gauge to squeeze it into place is throwing my accuracy waaaay off.

For those that have shimmed an XC, what type of feeler gauge did you use? How did you get accurate measurements?
I just went through this with my XC, but thankfully all were within spec. The exhaust were all heading towards the tight end so I'll be swapping shims next time no doubt.

The Tiger was quite a bit easier than my wife's Street Triple, even though they're basically the same the Street Triple was packaged tighter and checking the inside exhausts were a bitch. I had bought several sets of feeler gauges, bent some, broke some and swore lots.

I had ordered these feeler gauges but they hadn't come in yet, so I get to try them on the Street Triple next...

Offset Tappet Feeler Gauge Set

Back to the Tiger, I just used my straight feeler gauges and as mentioned the go, no-go method. Start with the smallest clearance, does it slide in easily? Move up to the next, and carry on till you can't insert the larger/largest feeler. It's definitely a "feel" thing, the gauge should slide in there with a "bit" of force, but not have to be "forced". You can jam a too thick gauge in there and say that's the clearance, but that's not the "right" clearance. I had feeler gauge drag described to me as "should be like pulling scotch tape off a roll".

My valves were:
Exhaust (0.325 - 0.375)

Intake (0.10 - 0.20)

bross screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 09:01 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #18663
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly green giant View Post
New to this thread. I am considering buying a Tiger 800 both for commuting and touring and was wondering what kind of revs the engine reaches while doing 90 mph. I currently have a GS and a Varadero and both seem to hang around 5000 revs at 90 mph which leaves the engine note at low pitch.
At 90 mph you are worried about the revs? This is what will make or break a Tiger for you? Must be a Malta thing…

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #18664
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,306
I have no experience with checking valves, so I'm going to have to make an appointment at my dealer for the 12K.

My plan was to take most everything off and ride it the 4 miles to the dealer. Then, I would have them just check the valves and electronically sync the throttle bodies and make sure the latest map is on there. Is this a good plan? What else needs to be done?

Also, right now I'm running a LV carbon pipe with the Arrow map. My mileage is not great (38-42mpg), but I'm also running K60s and a 15T front sprocket. I regularly ride around 72-75 on the highway. Should I put on the stock pipe, have them remap it to the latest stock map and then switch the pipes when back home?

I have read it is ok to run LV or Arrow pipe with stock tune to keep mileage up, but what about power difference?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #18665
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
At 90 mph you are worried about the revs? This is what will make or break a Tiger for you? Must be a Malta thing…

JG
I've been to Malta, it's not a very big island (122 sq mi), 90MPH and you'd be across it in no time. I think it's 20 miles wide. Plus you'd probably be on first name basis...

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #18666
jolly green giant
biggles

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
This is one of the interesting differences in the Tiger vs F800GS, and one of distinction. I just finished reading the comparo in Motorcyclist Mag that also highlighted this, so I'll share my 2c after a half hour test ride on the GS.

The Tiger engine with its 3 cylinders is a beautifully revving engine with a 9,800RPM redline and makes more power higher in the range. The GS was "industrial" in the linear manner it provided power. It wasn't impressive, but functional. It's said to be an advantage on the trail but I wasn't able to test. If you spend any time at all on the road, the Tiger will be more fun.

The GS got very vibratious over 6000RPM and felt like you were pushing it beyond its comfort zone. It was fine when it was in the sweet spot. Because you never wanted to push the GS it always seems to get better gas mileage.

The Tiger is just way too much fun to wwWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!! up in the range. And it's silky smooth the whole time. It was like a completely different machine once I got past the break in period and could use the throttle and rest of the range. My cheeks were sore from that ride because I was grinning so much...

Yea, the GS may be slightly better off road, but the Tiger, to me, was better if you were 50/50 because you could have fun on the trails, but still have fun on street rides rather than just riding around. All you need to wrestle with is what tires...
Thanks very much for a very useful explanation, the reason being I was concerned that an 800 engine would be somewhat stressed at 90mph with luggage and 2 up. As I said, both my 1200gs and xl1000 Varadero are in their comfort zone at 5000rpm at 90mph.
jolly green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #18667
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Thanks very much for a very useful explanation, the reason being I was concerned that an 800 engine would be somewhat stressed at 90mph with luggage and 2 up. As I said, both my 1200gs and xl1000 Varadero are in their comfort zone at 5000rpm at 90mph.
The Tiger won't even notice two up and luggage. I dropped on tooth up front and I lost 3-4 MPH so I'm now at 78ish MPH at 6K RPM.
The bike has no problem and even begs to run at high RPM's. Don't expect good gas mileage though. (but don't talk about it, it's like oil...)

Even with the stock counter shaft sprocket, two up loaded response on highway was crisp. Easy passing and jumps up and over 90 in a blink of the eye.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #18668
jolly green giant
biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've been to Malta, it's not a very big island (122 sq mi), 90MPH and you'd be across it in no time. I think it's 20 miles wide. Plus you'd probably be on first name basis...

I'm impressed you've been to Malta. Quite rightly said, it is difficult to reach 90mph on the island so we go to Sicily just 90 minutes away by high speed catamaran. Cruising speed on mainland Europe on either a 1200gs or an xl1000 Varadero is 90mph and at that speed the engine turns comfortably at 5000rpm. Any more rpm and the engine starts to emit a high pitched whine which is not ideal for long distance touring
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #18669
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Yea, it's kinda the same with my cars. They spin over 3k at 80, but don't think anything of it as they are made for it. You make up with time what you lose in gas mileage... All that matters is how much fun it is and remember you're paying 2 cents a mile for that smile
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #18670
jolly green giant
biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
The Tiger won't even notice two up and luggage. I dropped on tooth up front and I lost 3-4 MPH so I'm now at 78ish MPH at 6K RPM.
The bike has no problem and even begs to run at high RPM's. Don't expect good gas mileage though. (but don't talk about it, it's like oil...)

Even with the stock counter shaft sprocket, two up loaded response on highway was crisp. Easy passing and jumps up and over 90 in a blink of the eye.
In fact, what's the mileage like on highways? What's the range with a full tank?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #18671
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
In fact, what's the mileage like on highways? What's the range with a full tank?
I'm around 47 at 65-70 and 43-42 at 80+
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #18672
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
I can get 200+ miles out of a tank before the Distance to Empty reads 0, at which point I've never put more than ~4.2 gallons in, so there's still about a gallon reserve.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #18673
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I have no experience with checking valves, so I'm going to have to make an appointment at my dealer for the 12K.

My plan was to take most everything off and ride it the 4 miles to the dealer. Then, I would have them just check the valves and electronically sync the throttle bodies and make sure the latest map is on there. Is this a good plan?
No. Valves have to be checked with engine stone cold (as in sat overnight, not started before valve check). So if you do your plan, you can figure on it sitting at the dealer overnight before they can do it.

If they're a crappy dealer, they'll just go ahead and do it on a warm engine. But you shouldn't do that to your bike.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #18674
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Question Chain Replacment

I did a seach on this thread and did not find my answer.

I am nearing 13,000 miles on my XC and preparing for a chain and sprocket change.

So how many miles are you inmates getting on your chain?

What are you replacing with?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #18675
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I am nearing 13,000 miles on my XC and preparing for a chain and sprocket change.
What condition(s) are prompting you to make a change?

I ask because I believe that the stock chain and sprockets should be good for a minimum of 20K miles, if properly adjusted. Personally, I'm thinking I can get 30K out of a set, as long as I:

1. Ensure proper alignment.
2. Ensure proper tension (I tend toward the loose side.)
3. Keep it relatively clean.
4. Lube as needed using a dry teflon type lube.

I don't make this claim without already having gotten over 30K miles on a much heavier, more powerful bike's stock chain and sprockets with only minimal discernable wear.