ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #18661
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
One of those things I keep forgetting to ask about... When opening or closing the gas cap, the key is fairly hard to turn- tighter than any other bike I've ever owned.

Is this normal, common, not unusual, not a big deal, or something to get fixed?
Squirt some Tri Flow in there and see what happens. Try TriFlowing the actual moving parts that are in the tank as well and see what happens.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #18662
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,594
Yesterday, washing the bike I noticed that the chain guard was broken. Specifically, the front-most tab that anchors it to the swing arm had broken off from the guard. The tab was still screwed in place, just not attached to the chain guard anymore.

Anybody else seen this? Maybe I'm keeping my chain too loose and it was able to strike the chain guard and break the tab off?
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #18663
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 98
No more wind buffeting from stock windshield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Dare I say, best free mod for the XC.
Here's with the extra bolts for the stock mounting holes.
This is working out nicely.
Special thanks to Browneye whose post convinced me to experiment a little to eliminate my windshield buffeting. I am 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I usually am wearing a Fox Titan Sport Jacket with chest armor. I also wear foam ear plugs. Stock the windshield made a lot of noise at speeds from 45mph to 70+ on my full face helmet even with the shield down. If I stood up on the bike I got into clean air and the buffeting stopped till I sat back down. So I just popped out the two middle bolts and tilted the shield back as shown below. Little to no buffeting. I tried the windshield in the the position Browneye used with his cut down shield but still got moderate buffeting. So I returned it back to the configuration shown below and now have almost no buffeting. A lot of air is on my chest now (a bit more than before) but I am in Texas and I like all the air I can get.

The only problem is now I am very tempted to pop open the face shield and just wear eye protection since the buffeting noise is much reduced in my helmet (perhaps none?).




jimhaleyscomet screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 06:41 AM
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #18664
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Special thanks to Browneye whose post convinced me to experiment a little to eliminate my windshield buffeting. I am 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam. I usually am wearing a Fox Titan Sport Jacket with chest armor. I also wear foam ear plugs. Stock the windshield made a lot of noise at speeds from 45mph to 70+ on my full face helmet even with the shield down. If I stood up on the bike I got into clean air and the buffeting stopped till I sat back down. So I just popped out the two middle bolts and tilted the shield back as shown below. Little to no buffeting. I tried the windshield in the the position Browneye used but still got moderate buffeting. So I returned it back to the configuration shown below and now have almost no buffeting. A lot of air is on my chest now (a bit more than before) but I am in Texas and I like all the air I can get.

The only problem is now I am very tempted to pop open the face shield and just wear eye protection since the buffeting noise is much reduced in my helmet (perhaps none?).



Why not just remove it and install a fly screen?



From here...
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=7649.0
"That's why i'm selling my Triumph flyscreen and visor. This screen works fantastic; no more helmet thumping but only a constant flow of wind. "

Another option, cut down stocker


http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781106
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #18665
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 301
I installed my OEM heated grips today and everything went very smooth and works perfectly however after buttoning it all back up fuel guage doesn't work anymore. I have unplugged and plugged the fuel guage connector on the tank and made sure it clicked when connected but nothing. Please help. Thanks!
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #18666
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,268
Kill switch is on, right? I keep forgetting the fuel gauge on this thing runs through the ECU, nothing works unless it's all ON.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #18667
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Why not just remove it and install a fly screen?
From here...
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=7649.0
"That's why i'm selling my Triumph flyscreen and visor. This screen works fantastic; no more helmet thumping but only a constant flow of wind. "
That's what I did.



I get the same weather protection (i.e., practically none, compared to the FJR), I still get my pockets filled with water, but at least I don't have a sore neck from the buffetting at the end of the day, and it's rare enough I can pick my Tiger out of a line-up.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #18668
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Kill switch is on, right? I keep forgetting the fuel gauge on this thing runs through the ECU, nothing works unless it's all ON.
When I turn the key on the fuel gauge bars go all the way to the top and after it cycles all the bars disappear. I start the bike and let it run and still no bars. Trip gauge, miles to empty. All of it says 0 now, too.
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)

jtmajors screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 12:11 AM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #18669
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
When I turn the key on the fuel gauge bars go all the way to the top and after it cycles all the bars disappear. I start the bike and let it run and still no bars. Trip gauge, miles to empty. All of it says 0 now, too.

Mine did the same thing when I pulled the tank to install the grips. Give it some time. I think mine figured out where the level was after a 15-20 or so mile ride or the next time I topped it off. I don't remember exactly but it was out of sync for a short time.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #18670
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I installed my OEM heated grips today and everything went very smooth and works perfectly however after buttoning it all back up fuel guage doesn't work anymore. I have unplugged and plugged the fuel guage connector on the tank and made sure it clicked when connected but nothing. Please help. Thanks!
Have you ridden it since reinstalling? It requires a short ride and it will come back just like normal. It has to do with the Canbus system and how the ECM processes all the data. There are more lengthy explanations previous in the thread.

p3
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #18671
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer
 
akaDigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Oddometer: 428
I just installed OEM heated grips and had no issue...but probably because I skipped step one. Step one: Disconnect battery.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Baja 2012, my first moto tour
Oaxaca, Estados Unidos Mexicanos
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #18672
btao
RIP Lilolita
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Have you ridden it since reinstalling? It requires a short ride and it will come back just like normal. It has to do with the Canbus system and how the ECM processes all the data. There are more lengthy explanations previous in the thread.

p3
Hopefully that works after some time. It's supposed to be back after 1/2 a tank or a few miles of riding. Mine was serviced at the dealer and it hasn't worked since. Still trying to get it in for long enough to diagnose, order parts and fix. My low fuel light still works at 120-130miles.
__________________
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #18673
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,632
After my ECU updates, my fuel gauge goes to full, until I ride the bike. Just running the engine with the bike stationary will not reset the fuel level indicator.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #18674
WIMAK
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Kenosha
Oddometer: 26
My 13' Tiger XC does the same thing. 1350 miles on it.
WIMAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #18675
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
I just installed OEM heated grips and had no issue...but probably because I skipped step one. Step one: Disconnect battery.
I skipped step two also: Remove the fuel tank.

I could see the connection without doing that. Made it quite easy.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014