Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #18811
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I've just been calculating the old fashioned way, fill up at the pump, look at the trip meter and divide the miles by number of gallons put in.

It may just be my own paranoia, but I don't fully trust the Tiger's gas gauge, with its delayed reaction after fill ups or fuel tank being disconnected, or its wildly fluctuating estimates of current MPG. Also, the bars seem to drop a lot faster at the top half of the gauge than the bottom, but that may just be my perception.

I didn't know about the ECU relearning itself--I did just get my 6k service not long ago. Hopefully it gets itself sorted. It does make me envy the simplicity and reliability of my carbed SV though, no gas gauge, but a rock steady 47-49 mpg, regardless if I was toodling along at commuter speeds or ripping it up in the twisties.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #18812
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Miles are miles. People shouldn't be estimating their mpg based off the computer anyway so whatever it's set to won't matter. Not saying you shouldn't check the setting, just don't base any mpg off of it.
The point is, the instrumentation should work to within the accuracy needed for operation. If you are trying to fill up your tank and then estimate exactly how many miles you have to go down to +/- 2 miles, you're fooling yourself. I paid $12k for a fairly sophisticated machine and it should work appropriately. The technology difference between motorcycles and cars seems like the grand canyon sometimes.

So, I disagree. The instrumentation should work properly and accurately for you to monitor your travel range and efficiency. I would be hard pressed to find someone that actually runs it to zero unless you planned it and had external fuel on board. It should also indicate where there may be a problem such as a sudden drop in fuel economy. If I didn't want any creature comforts and sophistication, I would have bought a new KLR!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #18813
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Instruments, fuel economy

I set mine on distance-to-empty on one of the two trips and never change it. Never.
My GPS keeps track of miles. Speedo is off by at least 3mph.

I haven't done long distance where fuel scarcity was an issue, so mileage hasn't been a concern. I can see where it could be for some though.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #18814
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
The point is, the instrumentation should work to within the accuracy needed for operation. If you are trying to fill up your tank and then estimate exactly how many miles you have to go down to +/- 2 miles, you're fooling yourself. I paid $12k for a fairly sophisticated machine and it should work appropriately. The technology difference between motorcycles and cars seems like the grand canyon sometimes.
Um, the on-board mileage computers in cars don't work any better or more accurately.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #18815
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Um, the on-board mileage computers in cars don't work any better or more accurately.
Agreed. I've had two cars with the mileage computer and they are both off more than the Tiger. I've not noticed any reduction in mpg through 3 different tunes. I am at 88 tanks calculated now. Averaging 54.7 mpg and 209 miles per tank.

My bike was bought in January of 2012 so if the plot shows anything it shows a cycle of lower mpg with winter gas which is expected. My commute changes next week to involve much more highway riding, it will be interesting to see the affect that has.

FWIW, I'm -3 in the rear.

swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #18816
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Okay, I just have to ask... Why on earth did you trade in a bike for the same model a year newer? There weren't any changes...

Or did you just HAVE to have a different color?

--mark
This post last month sums it up.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post22360085
Search my other recent posts in this thread if you need to fill in any gaps.

I'm not proud of my actions but I will live with them.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #18817
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
This post last month sums it up.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post22360085
Search my other recent posts in this thread if you need to fill in any gaps.

I'm not proud of my actions but I will live with them.
One of my favorite posts not from a ride report
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #18818
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Re:mpg

Some of the differences riders are seeing may be due to ethanol. On a 1700 mile trip last may on my goldwing I got 52 mpg the whole trip once I got out of Kalifornia and away from ethanol laden gas. Once back in CA, mpg back to 38mpg. Same pace, same type of roads
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #18819
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
2012 Tiger for sale

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...139472557.html
eram310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #18820
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Speaking of Tigers for sale

Haven't actually put mine up for sale but will in the spring. Just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso which will be my main bike now. I bought the Tiger hoping it would be my "ONE" bike for street riding and dual sport rides. Have taken the Tiger on several good dual sport rides and it's done well but I just have more fun on my DR when the pavement ends. When we do go on dual sport rides my wife is riding her DR200 so I sure don't need the Tiger to keep up with her on the highway.

So I was pretty much using the Tiger as my street bike and I was tired of packing tubes and tire irons on any kind of trip. Now I can just carry my plug kit and pump. I also just finished my 20K service and with the miles we ride I'm checking/adjusting valves quite often. Was looking for something with less / easier maintenance so the Griso should do that with shaft drive and easy valves to adjust.

No complaints with the Tiger it's been a good, fun bike but just time for something different. My Nero Diablo Griso...

bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #18821
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
One of my favorite posts not from a ride report
Thanks for the vote.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #18822
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Haven't actually put mine up for sale but will in the spring. Just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso which will be my main bike now. I bought the Tiger hoping it would be my "ONE" bike for street riding and dual sport rides. Have taken the Tiger on several good dual sport rides and it's done well but I just have more fun on my DR when the pavement ends. When we do go on dual sport rides my wife is riding her DR200 so I sure don't need the Tiger to keep up with her on the highway.

So I was pretty much using the Tiger as my street bike and I was tired of packing tubes and tire irons on any kind of trip. Now I can just carry my plug kit and pump. I also just finished my 20K service and with the miles we ride I'm checking/adjusting valves quite often. Was looking for something with less / easier maintenance so the Griso should do that with shaft drive and easy valves to adjust.

No complaints with the Tiger it's been a good, fun bike but just time for something different. My Nero Diablo Griso...

Damn you...I've been eyeballing this same bike for some time now.

Seriously...CONGRATS!

If I can't fine one in this color I would more than likely repaint whatever I got. What a killer bike.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #18823
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Anyone check out any of the new ECU maps at http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html ? I see there's a new one for my bike, 800 ABS (non xc) - tune 20768

Curious what's changed
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #18824
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Anyone check out any of the new ECU maps at http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html ? I see there's a new one for my bike, 800 ABS (non xc) - tune 20768

Curious what's changed
I upgraded from 20653 to 20769 a few weeks ago. I did a compare using TuneECU, and the mapping is identical, so the only changes must be stuff I can't see.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #18825
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Yeah, I just tried the map compare function as well. I've never used it before, so I wasn't sure I was using it correctly, but my findings seem to be the same as yours - they look exact/very similar.

I'll probably throw it on one of these evenings
elan is offline   Reply With Quote