Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #18811
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Anyone check out any of the new ECU maps at http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html ? I see there's a new one for my bike, 800 ABS (non xc) - tune 20768

Curious what's changed
I upgraded from 20653 to 20769 a few weeks ago. I did a compare using TuneECU, and the mapping is identical, so the only changes must be stuff I can't see.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #18812
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Yeah, I just tried the map compare function as well. I've never used it before, so I wasn't sure I was using it correctly, but my findings seem to be the same as yours - they look exact/very similar.

I'll probably throw it on one of these evenings
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #18813
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, I just tried the map compare function as well. I've never used it before, so I wasn't sure I was using it correctly, but my findings seem to be the same as yours - they look exact/very similar.

I'll probably throw it on one of these evenings
I just got the cable, going to give it a go on my XC. I need to adjust the speedo, the knobby is giving 3 under my GPS.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #18814
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I just got the cable, going to give it a go on my XC. I need to adjust the speedo, the knobby is giving 3 under my GPS.
Note that speedo correction only works on non-ABS bikes.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #18815
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Haven't actually put mine up for sale but will in the spring. Just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso which will be my main bike now. I bought the Tiger hoping it would be my "ONE" bike for street riding and dual sport rides. Have taken the Tiger on several good dual sport rides and it's done well but I just have more fun on my DR when the pavement ends. When we do go on dual sport rides my wife is riding her DR200 so I sure don't need the Tiger to keep up with her on the highway.

So I was pretty much using the Tiger as my street bike and I was tired of packing tubes and tire irons on any kind of trip. Now I can just carry my plug kit and pump. I also just finished my 20K service and with the miles we ride I'm checking/adjusting valves quite often. Was looking for something with less / easier maintenance so the Griso should do that with shaft drive and easy valves to adjust.

No complaints with the Tiger it's been a good, fun bike but just time for something different. My Nero Diablo Griso...

I ended up buying a DR650 this summer. I always knew the non-XC Tiger 800 would be far from ideal off-road, but I find I don't go off-road at all. The DR650 is indeed more capable and fun off-road and I don't have to worry about dropping it so much, which is bound to happen as my off-road skills are not developed.
I haven't found anything yet that I really want to replace the Tiger with though. It sport tours and corners really well now that I have the suspension done front and rear. I will keep it until something better comes along, but I haven't seen it yet. Hoping for a baby Yamaha FJR850 sport tourer with the new triple motor. That might make me switch.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #18816
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Haven't actually put mine up for sale but will in the spring. Just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso which will be my main bike now. I bought the Tiger hoping it would be my "ONE" bike for street riding and dual sport rides. Have taken the Tiger on several good dual sport rides and it's done well but I just have more fun on my DR when the pavement ends. When we do go on dual sport rides my wife is riding her DR200 so I sure don't need the Tiger to keep up with her on the highway.
Good looking bike. It's great to have so many choices!

When the pavement ends... When go dirt bike riding, I trailer my 450X (plated) and ride. The Tiger is my first adventure style bike and I've found that I'll either incorporate some dirt in my route or will end up finding some along the way. It doesn't always occur but it's great to have the option. For me, my 'regular' riding just isn't either/or -- pavement or dirt and I'm not interested in riding something like a DR on the pavement.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #18817
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I ended up buying a DR650 this summer. I always knew the non-XC Tiger 800 would be far from ideal off-road, but I find I don't go off-road at all. The DR650 is indeed more capable and fun off-road and I don't have to worry about dropping it so much, which is bound to happen as my off-road skills are not developed.
I haven't found anything yet that I really want to replace the Tiger with though. It sport tours and corners really well now that I have the suspension done front and rear. I will keep it until something better comes along, but I haven't seen it yet. Hoping for a baby Yamaha FJR850 sport tourer with the new triple motor. That might make me switch.
MV Agusta is supposed to show an 800 triple sport tourer at EICMA.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/10/1...nounced-eicma/
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #18818
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,771
I don't know why the 'street' tiger couldn't be outfitted for off pavement just like the weestrom, assuming the aftermarket parts are there.
springs/oil, crashbars, etc... signals that bend don't break, ditto mirrors, skidplate.

the venerable DR just keeps on winning 'em over. Its the only bike I ride at the moment - everything else I sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #18819
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
I don't know why the 'street' tiger couldn't be outfitted for off pavement just like the weestrom, assuming the aftermarket parts are there.
springs/oil, crashbars, etc... signals that bend don't break, ditto mirrors, skidplate.

the venerable DR just keeps on winning 'em over. Its the only bike I ride at the moment - everything else I sold.
It can, but has the same issues your favorite v-strom has - weight.
And the suspension is tuned for road going, that's why they made the XC. It's still a pig, but at least it has boingers for off road and a 21" front wheel.

The DR is a dualsport. Even if it is kind of heavy, it's still better off road. But you know all this.

I also have a TE630 that sees anything off pavement that is more than groomed dirt roads. But I wouldn't think of taking off for a distance trip on it in place of the Tiger. My XC was bought to be a road going adventure bike with the option of some off pavement adventure riding. For a big offroader I would point to KTM as a superior bike for such, although the XC can be made pretty darn competitive with them, but just not in stock form.

JMHO.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #18820
DennyMyBoy
Hoping for a Tiger

Oddometer: 34
Price for Oil change materials

Owner of a 2012 Tiger 800XC, and as the cold weather approaches I headed up to my local Triumph dealer today and purchased the items needed for the first oil change on the bike before I store it for the winter. Here's what I paid:

Triumph oil filter: $16.95

crush washer: $1.49

4 quarts of full synthetic Castrol Power RS Racing 4T, 10W-50: $16.50/qt

Grand total for everything, including tax: $90.35

Any suggestions on cheaper ways to purchase the same items? The price felt steep to me. I want to take good care of the bike, hope to keep it for a while, but not throw money down the drain. Thanks for any suggestions!

Denny
DennyMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #18821
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,690
I buy that same oil in 6-quart cases from Amazon. Usually, the price is between $45 and $48 with free shipping, so figure $8 a quart at the upper end of the scale.

I pick up the crush washers at a local Triumph dealer. He pretty much always gives me 2 for $1.00, and does not bother writing up an invoice.

The oil filter is available from eBay sellers for around $10 each.

So, with just a little bit of planning and lead time, you can get your oil change done for considerably less cost.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #18822
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Owner of a 2012 Tiger 800XC, and as the cold weather approaches I headed up to my local Triumph dealer today and purchased the items needed for the first oil change on the bike before I store it for the winter. Here's what I paid:

Triumph oil filter: $16.95

crush washer: $1.49

Grand total for everything, including tax: $90.35

Any suggestions on cheaper ways to purchase the same items? The price felt steep to me. I want to take good care of the bike, hope to keep it for a while, but not throw money down the drain. Thanks for any suggestions!

Denny
I buy Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil at Walmart, I think it's $10 a quart. I use either a Wix or Mobile 1 automobile oil filter, usually $10-12.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #18823
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
here is the oil on amazon: http://amzn.com/B008MISF54

$45 and free shipping, so $7.50 per quart.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #18824
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
I'm about to give you one of the best pieces of advice you'll ever hear in your life:

Do not ever buy oil at a dealership. Ever.

Ever.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #18825
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
local chain store

Go to O'riely's or some other parts chain store and you can do 3 oil changes for what you paid.