Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #18961
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Hey Browneye, these two posts of yours regarding the "new" dude remind me of when Alice in the Wonderland fell down the Rabbit Hole and into some bizarre shit. Where are you going with this?
Lol...that is funny.

Y'all take a chill pill emkay? This is the internet.

And the part about it should be a like a ride where everyone is the same is BS, we take all their clothes and ride off... lol
J/K
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #18962
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Just to give people an idea on the 2013 Explorer. Bought a regular model back in march of this year, Graphite. My mods so far:

SW Motech Kobra handgurds with LEDs installed
SW Motech crash bars
Triumph Crash bars
SW Motech skid plate and front pipe cover (the 2 piece set)
Michelin Anakee 3 tires
Triumph Top bag (textile)

Miles: 14400 (23174 km) or so
Dirt miles: sadly only about 500 (quickly putting A LOT more on)
Longest trip: 6200 miles San Diego to Seattle and back.

Pavement: It's a total freaking beast. Besides coming out of corners, I have no problem keeping up with sportbikes in the mountains. Heavy but I am still in control and it's very easy to handle.

Dirt: Cant say much, haven't been in it enough. I just know I haven't fell yet and I don't want to.

Facts:
-Original tires wore out at about 11k miles. Wore done in the middle pretty bad, but I do have a heavy wrist.
-Makes alot of weird noises, all of which I am told is normal.
-Very smooth acceleration
-Hard to handle on the dirt because of the size.

Crashes? None, but did have 3 close calls:

-Traveling between Campo, Ca and Yuma, AZ, I hit a coyote doing about 80. The back tire hopped back and forth while I was slowing down without crashing. He completely destroyed my plastic engine guard and my shifter internally. I had to drive home in 4th gear,120 miles.... fucking sucked.

-Riding down Palomar mountain and my front tire hit a rock. Hopped over a few feet and lost my balance driving me into the guard rail. Again somehow didn't crash, just rubbed the metal.

-This one is just embarrassing. Was in a parking lot and tried to turn around inside of 2 spots. Couldn't make it so I tried to plant my foot before I lost balance. I stepped on oil and fell faster than I could realize, Bike not far behind. Scratched my tank emblem and my hand guard.
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #18963
Birdseye250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Except

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
Ah my god.. People take a freaking CHILL PILL..
Thats fine until your in the middle of Canada!!

Firstly, It is not because that ONE or TWO people have an issue that the planet is going to crash into the sun. A shifing issue is hardly any reason to declaire a TRANSMISSION faliure. A transmission FALIURE would be when it explodes-- gears all over the place.. etc.

Bikes come with warranties. This is to compensate for the eventuality that there may be a problem.

Bikes are made up of throusands of pieces that are designed and built by human beings and like all things involving human beings sometimes something goes wrong. Get it fixed and move on and enjoy your bike.
Birdseye250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #18964
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post
Just to give people an idea on the 2013 Explorer. Bought a regular model back in march of this year, Graphite. My mods so far:

SW Motech Kobra handgurds with LEDs installed
SW Motech crash bars
Triumph Crash bars
SW Motech skid plate and front pipe cover (the 2 piece set)
Michelin Anakee 3 tires
Triumph Top bag (textile)

Miles: 14400 (23174 km) or so
Dirt miles: sadly only about 500 (quickly putting A LOT more on)
Longest trip: 6200 miles San Diego to Seattle and back.

Pavement: It's a total freaking beast. Besides coming out of corners, I have no problem keeping up with sportbikes in the mountains. Heavy but I am still in control and it's very easy to handle.

Dirt: Cant say much, haven't been in it enough. I just know I haven't fell yet and I don't want to.

Facts:
-Original tires wore out at about 11k miles. Wore done in the middle pretty bad, but I do have a heavy wrist.
-Very smooth acceleration
-Hard to handle on the dirt because of the size.

Crashes? None, but did have 3 close calls:

-Traveling between Campo, Ca and Yuma, AZ, I hit a coyote doing about 80. The back tire hopped back and forth while I was slowing down without crashing. He completely destroyed my plastic engine guard and my shifter internally. I had to drive home in 4th gear,120 miles.... fucking sucked.

-Riding down Palomar mountain and my front tire hit a rock. Hopped over a few feet and lost my balance driving me into the guard rail. Again somehow didn't crash, just rubbed the metal.

-This one is just embarrassing. Was in a parking lot and tried to turn around inside of 2 spots. Couldn't make it so I tried to plant my foot before I lost balance. I stepped on oil and fell faster than I could realize, Bike not far behind. Scratched my tank emblem and my hand guard.
Wrong forum...

Mods, please move. Cheers.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #18965
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
Ah my god.. People take a freaking CHILL PILL..

Firstly, It is not because that ONE or TWO people have an issue that the planet is going to crash into the sun. A shifing issue is hardly any reason to declaire a TRANSMISSION faliure. A transmission FALIURE would be when it explodes-- gears all over the place.. etc.

Bikes come with warranties. This is to compensate for the eventuality that there may be a problem.

Bikes are made up of throusands of pieces that are designed and built by human beings and like all things involving human beings sometimes something goes wrong. Get it fixed and move on and enjoy your bike.
Take a chill? LOL...Don't think I was panicking! I simply asked a question out of concern. I have every intention of riding my bike the way it was intended and without worry. I know stuff happens. I was only trying to ask if triumph actually addressed this issue sucessfully.......
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #18966
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I was only trying to ask if triumph actually addressed this issue sucessfully.......
The question should be:- "is this an inherent design fault?"
I don't know the answer. Maybe the components need to be stronger for an off road capable bike. One would have to compare the design to that of other manufacturers like BMW or KTM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #18967
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The question should be:- "is this an inherent design fault?"
I don't know the answer. Maybe the components need to be stronger for an off road capable bike. One would have to compare the design to that of other manufacturers like BMW or KTM.
My shifter mechanism failed. The little pin on the that plate broke. Had no return action so I had to reset the shifter with my foot after each shift. No off road riding involved.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #18968
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post

Considering your avatar and your location, you must be double happy today, after the Trojan's win over Stanford yesterday.

About your Tiger Explorer 1200 noises, I've read a few things about excessive top end noises on this motor that were not normal after all. May not necessarily be your case, but you never know...

Check this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933456

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #18969
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,895
Quote:
About your Tiger Explorer 1200 noises, I've read a few things about excessive top end noises on this motor that were not normal after all.
Yes. A lot of cylinder heads replaced under warranty due to incorrect tolerances in the holes that the valve buckets sit in.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #18970
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Considering your avatar and your location, you must be double happy today, after the Trojan's win over Stanford yesterday.

About your Tiger Explorer 1200 noises, I've read a few things about excessive top end noises on this motor that were not normal after all. May not necessarily be your case, but you never know...

Check this thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933456

I'm pretty stoked about both games. Hopefully we can hop up on the polls soon. Ive had my noises checked out a few times and I've always been told they were fine. I Pick who works on my bike so I usually trust what they say. that being said, I can't say for sure I want to believe him, but I haven't had any problems that lead anywhere so I can't do much.
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #18971
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,784
Milestone day today for the Tiger. No pun intended.

Two years, seven months, and two days.

This bike is just as fantastic now as it was the day I took delivery. More so, actually, because now it also has the sentimental value of having taken me to some amazing places.

And for anyone wondering... no, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. It's been through plenty of oil/filter changes, lots of tires, etc; only dealer service has been to do the shifter return spring recall.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #18972
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

BEAST!!!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #18973
rustynut2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Wow.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #18974
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 197
That is great news for all of us Mark as it speaks to reliability of the bike. Congrats on reaching the first 50,000 !!

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #18975
Haggs
Tigre Verde

Oddometer: 135
Thumb

Here's to 50,000 more!