Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #18961
Rharrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch180 View Post
I have a Tiger 800 roadie and have to use it every day for work ( riding instructor) I hate my bike and can't wait for it to sell !!! My advice would be, do not buy a Tiger....

PS. I have never felt this way about a motorcycle before
So what don't you like about it ? Why did you get it and tell me why I should not to get the Tiger 800?
Rharrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #18962
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
I have a Tiger 800 roadie and have to use it every day for work ( riding instructor) I hate my bike and can't wait for it to sell !!! My advice would be, do not buy a Tiger....

Alex, what is...."Something I would never write without explanation in a Tiger thread" for $800, please?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #18963
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:

So why did you buy it?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #18964
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 208
Quote:

Frankly, I can't imagine having any other bike. My 800 roadie is a fantastic machine. Now that I have it all set up and
the handlebars adjusted, it's a dream to ride. Just got done riding from WV to Orlando & back. 1881 miles and the
bike didn't complain once.

Me, on the other hand........

However, I can understand what he's saying. If I were a riding instructor, the Tiger wouldn't be my first choice. In my
opinion, 1st gear is too high to be putting around at those speeds (I'm guessing a BRC instructor?), and it's a bit top-
heavy. Stop and go/rush hour traffic is a nightmare on that bike sometimes.
CPORet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #18965
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post
However, I can understand what he's saying. If I were a riding instructor, the Tiger wouldn't be my first choice. In my
opinion, 1st gear is too high to be putting around at those speeds (I'm guessing a BRC instructor?), and it's a bit top-
heavy.
Mega-scooter, then?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #18966
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Mega-scooter, then?
When I ride into the city, 9 out of 10 times I take the Kymco 125 and leave the Tiger at home for the reasons listed above. Plus it's so much easier to just throw the scooter up onto the sidewalk. All those 40 mile downtown rides kill knobbies in short order too. Its a no brainer.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #18967
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Wtf!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
very intelligent post.

Never mind him...he's in Ireland.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #18968
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
When I ride into the city, 9 out of 10 times I take the Kymco 125 and leave the Tiger at home for the reasons listed above. Plus it's so much easier to just throw the scooter up onto the sidewalk. All those 40 mile downtown rides kill knobbies in short order too. Its a no brainer.
Oh hell! You should've seen me ripping the dealership parking lot on a scooter, when I worked in the biz. Me being a trackday nut, it was hard to not terrorize the employees on something so fun. I'd love to have a modern, ~125 scoot.

27mph on this doesn't get it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #18969
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I tried both settings, and I found it didn't help. The main problem I found, was the stock XC bars did not have enough sweep. I test rode an Explorer, and found the handlebars had about 1-1/2" more sweep and this cured the problem. The straighter bars kinked my wrists and once I got more sweep , the position was more natural.
+1 It's what I've been banging on about for a couple of years but nobody listens.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #18970
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
+1 It's what I've been banging on about for a couple of years but nobody listens.
The only people who are listening are the ones have issues. I have the stock bars (albeit with Rox Risers) and I have no issue with them at all.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #18971
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
800XC Bars??

Yep, 9K miles on stock stock bars. They're stock. No issues.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #18972
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yep, 9K miles on stock stock bars. They're stock. No issues.

16,000 no issues. Bars, pegs, seats, windshields are all ergo issues. As much related to how YOU are built as how the bike is. You will never solve the issue with one person without causing one for another.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #18973
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 930
And sometimes average isn't really average. What country are we talking about? If you want a custom tailored suit, expect to pay a little more for that perfect fit. I don't think it is a negative to triumph though as they just try to make the best guess for the market. Besides, everyone likes to complain and customize things so what's the big deal?

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #18974
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:

Is this your way of sarcasm??

I'm also a Motorcycle Safety Instructor and ride most days except when there is ice and snow (at least a few months here) and wonder how much advise and how helpful you can be to new riders based on the above vague statement.

I love my Tiger Roadie BTW. Haven't owned a lot of bikes as compared to others, but enough to know I will keep this bike for a while.

You are entitled to your opinion, however in a Tiger 800 thread, you should be able to substantiate the dislike of it.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #18975
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I tried both settings, and I found it didn't help. The main problem I found, was the stock XC bars did not have enough sweep. I test rode an Explorer, and found the handlebars had about 1-1/2" more sweep and this cured the problem. The straighter bars kinked my wrists and once I got more sweep , the position was more natural.
1-1/2" huh? That is quite a bit and will probably help me.I think the awkward angle of my wrists translates to a pain on the back of my shoulders. I have ROX risers which keep me upright and weight off my wrists so no pain there, but I do get pain at the base of my arthritic thumbs. I have most pressure at my thumb joint when pushing to turn and almost no pressure towards the outside of my hands. I can ride my DR650 all day for days with zero body aches and I want this Tiger to do the same for me. I think the Explorer bars may be the ticket. My question is this. I had the dealer install the heated OEM grips and though I remember some of the instructions, I don't know how difficult the swap would be to the Explorer bars. Probably a little more effort than the initial install because of changing the bars and the rest of the controls. Anything I should be aware of? I realize I could change to some Renthal Fatbars with some better aftermarket grips at this time instead and I am considering those options as well. I just don't have a lot of time these days so often the quickest solution is best for me. Looking forward to your input guys.