Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #19081
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
+100 I demoed a Scram once and it was the second most disappointing motorcycle ride of my life. First place belongs to my uncle's Harley.
Must explain why so many come up for sale. They look intriguing, though.

Agreed, on Harleys. I've never ridden one that I like. Though, I've not had the opportunity to take any variation of V-Rod for a spin.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #19082
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I believe that depending on how the various bolts are tightened it can cause the buzziness in the bars. When I first put my Barkbusters on the vibration increased greatly. Soon after I made some changes to bar position loosening the bolts in the ROx risers and the barkbusters and when I tightened everything up the vibration was gone. I think you need to try and keep the bars in a neutral, non-stressed position. Meaning don't do something like push or pull on them while tightening to get them into a position. I also think the amount of torque on each bolt and even the order of tightening them can be involved. I would try to loosen the bolts and then snug them each up slowly. Don't torque one down and move to the next. I bought the Barkbuster Storms in a kit specific to the Tiger 800, but the fit was very poor and ended up having to buy other hardware to clear cables. I recently ordered Explorer bars to try and get more comfortable and relieve thumb pressure and pain. Time to install it all again.
Yeah, this may be my problem. I'm using the Acerbis hand guards and I had to push and pull to get things lined up.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #19083
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8
I believe that depending on how the various bolts are tightened it can cause the buzziness in the bars. When I first put my Barkbusters on the vibration increased greatly. Soon after I made some changes to bar position loosening the bolts in the ROx risers and the barkbusters and when I tightened everything up the vibration was gone. I think you need to try and keep the bars in a neutral, non-stressed position. Meaning don't do something like push or pull on them while tightening to get them into a position. I also think the amount of torque on each bolt and even the order of tightening them can be involved. I would try to loosen the bolts and then snug them each up slowly. Don't torque one down and move to the next. I bought the Barkbuster Storms in a kit specific to the Tiger 800, but the fit was very poor and ended up having to buy other hardware to clear cables. I recently ordered Explorer bars to try and get more comfortable and relieve thumb pressure and pain. Time to install it all again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, this may be my problem. I'm using the Acerbis hand guards and I had to push and pull to get things lined up.
Not likely the bar mounting, more likely the left lower motor mount. Check the how-to thread on that.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #19084
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I had the one with the roadie part number. They are still plenty wide.

Still fiddling with the exact bar position, with two degrees of freedom it takes a while to nail it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Thanks for the input! Do you use the Explorer roadie or XC bars? Are they even different? A quick look suggests the two have different BikeBandit part numbers but I can't be sure - Google results are vague. If anything, I expect the Explorer XC bars to be wider than the roadie's.

I'm going to get the Explorer bars first and maybe put the risers on later. For the record, I like the bend of the stock bars but I just found them too low to stand up for extended periods (I'm 6'2.5 and I have shorty T-rex arms). My dad finds the height OK-ish but he hates the stock bend and it's his bike, so he calls the shots!

I was really impressed with how smooth the bike felt rolling over washboard gravel, so all-day standing probably isn't necessary unless one is continuously going over something rougher or more technical. Maybe I'll get him those anti-vibe risers as a Christmas present and shame him into putting them on!

If vibrations are an issue at any point, I might look into Bueller's insight on engine mounts but this bike is so smooth compared to anything else I've ever ridden! If it ain't broke, don't go pokin' around with your engine mount bolts.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #19085
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn

Oddometer: 3,291
Greetings. New guy here looking at buying a Tiger 800 XC. This would be my first time buying new from a dealer (unless I find a great deal on a used one, but thats doubtful), and first time owning a bike made after Ronald Reagan was president. This thread and others have been very helpful with making decisions on the purchase, farkles, off-road capabilities etc.

The big question is, is there a difference between 2013's and 2014's?

I'd like to try and beat them down on price by either getting a close-out 2013 or an end of the year inventory sale on a 2014.

The local dealer appears to have a couple in matte green but we all know phantom black is faster and that's what I want.

So I'm willing to travel a couple hundred miles, or order one, but ordering one probably screws my chance at getting an end of the year deal. And I could probably live with the matte green if the price is right.

Any tips on dealing with the dealer, leads on a phantom black model or anything in general is appreciated.

I'm in central TX, btw.
ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #19086
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
In a word; no.

Welcome to the forum.

Happy hunting.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #19087
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Greetings. New guy here looking at buying a Tiger 800 XC. This would be my first time buying new from a dealer (unless I find a great deal on a used one, but thats doubtful), and first time owning a bike made after Ronald Reagan was president. This thread and others have been very helpful with making decisions on the purchase, farkles, off-road capabilities etc.

I'd like to try and beat them down on price by either getting a close-out 2013 or an end of the year inventory sale on a 2014.

The local dealer appears to have a couple in matte green but we all know phantom black is faster and that's what I want.

So I'm willing to travel a couple hundred miles, or order one, but ordering one probably screws my chance at getting an end of the year deal. And I could probably live with the matte green if the price is right.

Any tips on dealing with the dealer, leads on a phantom black model or anything in general is appreciated.

I'm in central TX, btw.
Who's your dealer?

I want the green one, but my dealer only has white and black. We could probably arrange a dealer-to-dealer swap to liquidate their inventory.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #19088
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Who's your dealer?

I want the green one, but my dealer only has white and black. We could probably arrange a dealer-to-dealer swap to liquidate their inventory.
Lonestar Triumph in Austin TX shows one 2013 and one 2014 matte green 800XC on their website. I have not talked to them yet so I don't know if the web site is truly accurate. In my searching I'm pretty sure I saw several TX dealers with the matte green. You might get a swap with or without me in on the deal. When I talk to them I'll see if that becomes advantageous and I'll get in touch with you.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #19089
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
In a word; no.

Welcome to the forum.

Happy hunting.
Thank you, sir.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #19090
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:

I'm in central TX, btw.
Most buyers were able to get the dealer down about a thousand on the price. That should cover all the add-on fees and leave some profit for the dealer. Triumph was offering a $500 accessory credit for the previous year model, you might check into that.

If you're more flexible on color choice it will make bargaining easier, otherwise you may look high and low before you find the exact color you want. For example, the green color didn't even come out 'till last year, but there was a cool orange metallic one that is no more. And if you're handy with auto painting it's just the tank and beak that has color. I really liked the venom yellow (I call it bug-shit green) but it only came on the roadie, so I'm still thinking about painting mine.

And finally, there are enough of them around now that they are coming up for sale and you can save several thousand if you don't mind a low-time used one. You might have to fly and ride to take advantage though, and financing isn't as simple. Can be done though if you're determined. I didn't have that choice when I bought.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #19091
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Most buyers were able to get the dealer down about a thousand on the price. That should cover all the add-on fees and leave some profit for the dealer. Triumph was offering a $500 accessory credit for the previous year model, you might check into that.

If you're more flexible on color choice it will make bargaining easier, otherwise you may look high and low before you find the exact color you want. For example, the green color didn't even come out 'till last year, but there was a cool orange metallic one that is no more. And if you're handy with auto painting it's just the tank and beak that has color. I really liked the venom yellow (I call it bug-shit green) but it only came on the roadie, so I'm still thinking about painting mine.

And finally, there are enough of them around now that they are coming up for sale and you can save several thousand if you don't mind a low-time used one. You might have to fly and ride to take advantage though, and financing isn't as simple. Can be done though if you're determined. I didn't have that choice when I bought.
If the price is right I'm willing to compromise on the color, buy a low mile used one, fly and buy etc. All depends on the financing deal and the price, though.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #19092
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
If the price is right I'm willing to compromise on the color, buy a low mile used one, fly and buy etc. All depends on the financing deal and the price, though.

Thanks for the info.
There's a nice BLACK one for sale in the flea market.

Here: Tiger 800XC

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #19093
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
There's a nice BLACK one for sale in the flea market.

Here: Tiger 800XC
Oh boy...

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #19094
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Not likely the bar mounting, more likely the left lower motor mount. Check the how-to thread on that.
I'll take a look, but this happened after after I mounted them. Thanks
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #19095
Escape Orion
n00b

Oddometer: 6
new to the forum.
just completed the 800xc farkles, now reading the 800 thread.
Im looking for replacement bars for the roadie. the risers don't interest me.
I've adjusted the stock bars a couple different times, and just can't get comfortable. Maybe cause my other bike is an 1198, and I'm use to leaning forward.

Escape Orion screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 01:41 PM
Escape Orion is offline   Reply With Quote