Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #19096
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dogs View Post
Just dropping in to say hello. I just sold my 2012 DL650 and picked up a new 2013 800XC. $12.5K OTD for those that are in the market. A touring screen thrown in for good measure. Not too bad and I got the khaki green that I like.

Lovin the triple already!!
Congrats!
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #19097
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
No doubt.

A mostly boring video taken by a buddy of mine on an FZ1, but he couldn't keep up with me :). One of my favorite roads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfyUlQN-Ns
Wow. That was fun. Nice work. Bet your nails are nice too with all that time to work on them. His captions cracked me up.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #19098
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
No doubt.

A mostly boring video taken by a buddy of mine on an FZ1, but he couldn't keep up with me :). One of my favorite roads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfyUlQN-Ns
Now tell us you did that on knobbies.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #19099
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Now tell us you did that on knobbies.
Hah. OEM scorpions. I am sad to be on knobbies right now, I'm sure I'll be back on sport tires in the spring... Then back on knobs for the long dirt ride in Sept.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #19100
Motley
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,772
I've got to ask...how is the wind/weather protection on those things?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #19101
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
Neither the Scorpions nor the Shinkos have provided any detectable wind/weather protection for me.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #19102
Motley
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Neither the Scorpions nor the Shinkos have provided any detectable wind/weather protection for me.
Good to know.

Wiseguy.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #19103
Vegas800XC
lurker

Oddometer: 87
Talking vegas up blue diamond Kyle canyon

Vegas800XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #19104
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
With a Madstad screen on my thing it's excellent.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #19105
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Are you asking about the FZ1? If so, eh, 20% better than an R1, heh.

Quote:
You clearly have them installed incorrectly.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #19106
Motley
Lurker

Quote:
Are you asking about the FZ1? If so, eh, 20% better than an R1, heh.
Well, I was considering an FZ1 also. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to get something more suited to longer days in the saddle than my current Thruxton is. I'd like something more utilitarian and had been considering a Tiger. I'm justifying any future purchase to SWMBO by suggesting the weather protection will be worth the price. Is it?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #19107
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Well, I was considering an FZ1 also. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to get something more suited to longer days in the saddle than my current Thruxton is. I'd like something more utilitarian and had been considering a Tiger. I'm justifying any future purchase to SWMBO by suggesting the weather protection will be worth the price. Is it?
After riding the Tiger, it was hard to find the footpegs on the FZ1 (because the rearset position is much more aggressive). Riding my buddys' sportbikes lately has sealed the deal that I can't go back to one.... Especially because I can still keep up on the Tiger on the kind of roads I love riding.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #19108
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
The stock shield isn't bad, compared to most OEM offerings I've ridden behind. Many Tiger owners do get some buffeting on the helmet and some noise. I put an extender on the stock shield and solved the buffeting, and I wear earplugs anyway.

For another $300 or so the Madstad seems to be the 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed solution for noise and turbulence. There's a thread in the Beasts section dedicated to Tiger 800 windshields with a lot of info.

As for rideability, the Tiger is very nice for hundreds of miles at a time. The pillion might want an upgrade to that seat and the rider has a plethora of seat choices as well to make it even more comfy.

Seat Concepts now lists a Standard and Tall version of their foam/cover kits that can be installed on the OEM pan.

There is plenty of power for carrying two plus luggage and it handles very well.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #19109
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,979
Quote:
For weather protection I would recommend a car. No motorcycle is going to afford any kind of weather protection.

Is the Tiger 800 better than the Thruxton? Yes, immensely. The performance gain is worth the price of admission, for either model.

On the 'offroad' vid from Vegas....so now I understand what 'offroad' is.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #19110
Motley
Lurker

Quote:
The stock shield isn't bad, compared to most OEM offerings I've ridden behind. Many Tiger owners do get some buffeting on the helmet and some noise. I put an extender on the stock shield and solved the buffeting, and I wear earplugs anyway.

For another $300 or so the Madstad seems to be the 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed solution for noise and turbulence. There's a thread in the Beasts section dedicated to Tiger 800 windshields with a lot of info.

As for rideability, the Tiger is very nice for hundreds of miles at a time. The pillion might want an upgrade to that seat and the rider has a plethora of seat choices as well to make it even more comfy.

Seat Concepts now lists a Standard and Tall version of their foam/cover kits that can be installed on the OEM pan.

There is plenty of power for carrying two plus luggage and it handles very well.
Thank you.