Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #19336
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
what do you have in mind?
I'm between the 1190 and 1200gs. I may hold off and see what the new GSA costs... Today I'm leaning heavy towards the KTM. But, ask me again tomorrow!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #19337
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm between the 1190 and 1200gs. I may hold off and see what the new GSA costs... Today I'm leaning heavy towards the KTM. But, ask me again tomorrow!
The KTM looks to be the cat's meow. Their street stuff has really come a long way.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #19338
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
its worth every penny. way better than stock. Ohlins company are the suspension gods for a reason. Hows that?
Short, sweet, and to the point. I only asked because I was thinking I had missed a more long winded version. Pssst, go with the 1190.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #19339
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Guys I have a GPS Question. I am thinking about getting a Zumo 390 with a Touratech handlebar mount set up and I was wondering how you guys wired your GPS's up on the Tiger 800? I was thinking about using the powerlet outlet next to the ignition (assuming I would need some parts?) but not sure that is even an option. I see you can also get a power cable set up. If you go that route do you go straight to the battery? Just curious what my options are here. This will be on a 2013 roadie....
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #19340
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Guys I have a GPS Question. I am thinking about getting a Zumo 390 with a Touratech handlebar mount set up and I was wondering how you guys wired your GPS's up on the Tiger 800? I was thinking about using the powerlet outlet next to the ignition (assuming I would need some parts?) but not sure that is even an option. I see you can also get a power cable set up. If you go that route do you go straight to the battery? Just curious what my options are here. This will be on a 2013 roadie....

I have to assume you found this thread...if not here ya go... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917444

I don't know what kind of power they require, but either strategy works. For the powerlett outlet next to the ignition switch you just need a plug adapter, or maybe even the zumo comes with a powerlett plug - it is supposedly a motorcycle specific unit. In any case surely it has a cigar lighter plug and that will work with the proper powerlett adapter.

My technology is so old (60cs) it doesn't even apply anymore. It's hardwired to the parklamp so it's switched, but then it also has batteries so it doesn't shut off with the key. It does import offroad tracks tough.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #19341
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
You can go straight to the battery or to an Aux fuse box with this cable:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod113583.html

You can also use the Auto Power cable, but you'll need the Cig > Powerlette adapter, and then you'll have a lot of wires and (non-waterproof) hardware sticking out of that socket. IMO, the MC cable will be the cleaner install. If you think you may add another electrical accessory or two, you may want to consider the Eastern Beaver wiring harness - http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html. Both switched and non-switched options are available. Wire in the harness to the battery, add the connector to the end of the Garmin MC cable, route the wires, plug in, and you're all set.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #19342
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
I took a feed off the wiring for the accessory socket. Just splice into the wires as close to the plug as possible and it's all covered up by the, er, cover. I do leave the cradle on the bike.
If you want to take the cradle off, just cut the GPS wiring and put the appropriate plug on and plug it into said accessory socket.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #19343
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys! All makes sense......not sure what route I want to take yet because I won't have the GPS on the bike ALL the time, I may just cut off the Cigarette lighter plug and splice in a powerlet plug to make it easier I guess. Although I do like the idea of hard wiring it in. Gonna think on it. Thanks for the links and advice! much appreciated!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #19344
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Thanks guys! All makes sense......not sure what route I want to take yet because I won't have the GPS on the bike ALL the time, I may just cut off the Cigarette lighter plug and splice in a powerlet plug to make it easier I guess. Although I do like the idea of hard wiring it in. Gonna think on it. Thanks for the links and advice! much appreciated!
Careful with that. I'm pretty sure there's a power regulator circuit in the plug portion of that cable (the MC cable has it in the in-line box, I believe). Connect the wire with 12V running through it to the Zumo and you may very well fry it. You're better off adding the Powerlet plug to the MC cable.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #19345
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Careful with that. I'm pretty sure there's a power regulator circuit in the plug portion of that cable (the MC cable has it in the in-line box, I believe). Connect the wire with 12V running through it to the Zumo and you may very well fry it. You're better off adding the Powerlet plug to the MC cable.
Ahhhh...yeah you are right and I didn't think of that! Good catch! I think I will just get the MC cable harness and wire it straight to the Battery with some ring terminals as the GPS won't be in the cradle unless I need it will come off for overnight stays, etc.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #19346
becsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
I have just wired mine in to my new 2014 roadie. I installed a fuse box from Easter Beaver in the tail section and wired the GPS into that.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #19347
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 853
I wired my Zumo to an angle Powerlet plug. It takes 12v directly. The angle plug has a rubber grommet to keep it watertight too.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #19348
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
I have the Zumo 550 with an SAE plug and SAE to Cig lighter plug as I switch it between 3 bikes. Powerlet from outlet near the ignition to twin cig lighter sockets mounted on the risers lets me power the GPS and Sat Radio at same time.
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #19349
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
My Tiger is gone also and a deposit has been made on a KTM 1190 ADV. The 800XC is a fantastic bike....you won't ever hear me bad mouth it. But after 2 years and 20k miles I found I was looking for more power and better handling in the twisties. The squid in me is looking forward to 150hp w/traction control and I hope some of KTM's offroad legacy is found in the new 1190 ADV. Time will tell. Like the Tiger did, the 1190 will have a lot more dirt capability than me.

Here's a thank you to all that provided your insight on the 800XC.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #19350
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
My Tiger is gone also and a deposit has been made on a KTM 1190 ADV. The 800XC is a fantastic bike....you won't ever hear me bad mouth it. But after 2 years and 20k miles I found I was looking for more power and better handling in the twisties. The squid in me is looking forward to 150hp w/traction control and I hope some of KTM's offroad legacy is found in the new 1190 ADV. Time will tell. Like the Tiger did, the 1190 will have a lot more dirt capability than me.

Here's a thank you to all that provided your insight on the 800XC.
My vote would be 1190 or WC GS. I'd probly lean to the KTM - just get the 'R' version if you're gonna ride it off pavement.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote