Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #19336
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm between the 1190 and 1200gs. I may hold off and see what the new GSA costs... Today I'm leaning heavy towards the KTM. But, ask me again tomorrow!
My Tiger is gone also and a deposit has been made on a KTM 1190 ADV. The 800XC is a fantastic bike....you won't ever hear me bad mouth it. But after 2 years and 20k miles I found I was looking for more power and better handling in the twisties. The squid in me is looking forward to 150hp w/traction control and I hope some of KTM's offroad legacy is found in the new 1190 ADV. Time will tell. Like the Tiger did, the 1190 will have a lot more dirt capability than me.

Here's a thank you to all that provided your insight on the 800XC.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #19337
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
My Tiger is gone also and a deposit has been made on a KTM 1190 ADV. The 800XC is a fantastic bike....you won't ever hear me bad mouth it. But after 2 years and 20k miles I found I was looking for more power and better handling in the twisties. The squid in me is looking forward to 150hp w/traction control and I hope some of KTM's offroad legacy is found in the new 1190 ADV. Time will tell. Like the Tiger did, the 1190 will have a lot more dirt capability than me.

Here's a thank you to all that provided your insight on the 800XC.
My vote would be 1190 or WC GS. I'd probly lean to the KTM - just get the 'R' version if you're gonna ride it off pavement.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #19338
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
My vote would be 1190 or WC GS. I'd probly lean to the KTM - just get the 'R' version if you're gonna ride it off pavement FAST.

Fixed.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #19339
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
My vote would be 1190 or WC GS. I'd probly lean to the KTM - just get the 'R' version if you're gonna ride it off pavement.
For those of you going to either the WC GS or 1190 I am curious about something.

I have ridden both bikes and in my mind they are GREAT machines! Just amazing machines!

Granted I have some small 'cheap' DS bikes that I usually take on my knarly adventures that usually involve lots of mud, rocks, sand, and water. However my Strom has been known to make an appearance on some of those same paths (not often I grant you that and usually because I have lost my mind at some point during the day) on street orientated Battlewing tires. When this happens I am usually assured that both the Strom and I will be taking a nap at some point in the ride. Maybe better tires would help but I can say it is not as easy to take a 400+ lb bike through stuff like that.

I can see myself doing that same thing with a Tiger 800XC and maybe not struggling as much - the jury is still out on that.

The same goes for the 1190 and WC GS except for the fact that given the $$ invested into those machines I know I would think long and hard about crossing a creek that I have not been across before or trying to blast through a large mud puddle on a whim. In the end I think I would play it safe and not really enjoy the bikes since I would be afraid of loosing a good part of my treasure if something bad should happen.

Any one as messed up as I am?
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #19340
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
For those of you going to either the WC GS or 1190 I am curious about something.

I have ridden both bikes and in my mind they are GREAT machines! Just amazing machines!

Granted I have some small 'cheap' DS bikes that I usually take on my knarly adventures that usually involve lots of mud, rocks, sand, and water. However my Strom has been known to make an appearance on some of those same paths (not often I grant you that and usually because I have lost my mind at some point during the day) on street orientated Battlewing tires. When this happens I am usually assured that both the Strom and I will be taking a nap at some point in the ride. Maybe better tires would help but I can say it is not as easy to take a 400+ lb bike through stuff like that.

I can see myself doing that same thing with a Tiger 800XC and maybe not struggling as much - the jury is still out on that.

The same goes for the 1190 and WC GS except for the fact that given the $$ invested into those machines I know I would think long and hard about crossing a creek that I have not been across before or trying to blast through a large mud puddle on a whim. In the end I think I would play it safe and not really enjoy the bikes since I would be afraid of loosing a good part of my treasure if something bad should happen.

I'm in complete agreement but have to accept that there are people with a lot more money than me that are willing to accept that sort of loss.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #19341
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:

I made my mind up last night... I'm going the GS route. I'll go sign the papers today.

I think that you are referring to skill/comfortabiltiy (and some stupidity). Not saying that some with skills won't sit back and watch just because they don't want to get their bike dirty. When I buy a motorcycle I plan to ride it off-road more than on. Key word is "plan". I already have it in my mind that it will see roads that most will not take it on. I grew up on a dirt bike. I'm more comfortable off-road than on. This is my 5th street legal motorcycle and I'm still trying to get comfortable when leaned over in a curve. This is much like the argument of oil. No one ever wins and the opinions continue to flow. Besides, when it's all said and done... it's just a motorcycle. Everything on it is replaceable. I also think you would be very suprised of the capability with the right person in the riders seat.

I will know more later in the year, but the main reason I'm jumping ship is that there isn't enough motor in the Tiger XC. Sometimes the power is what I need. I found myself needing that extra 400 or so cc's. Getting the front wheel light on the XC is near impossible while off-road. The torque is just not there. I'm hoping the combination of more power and torque, will help me be even more comfortable off-road. My opinion of course. I ride with another guy that is an old road racer. He absolutley loves the XC. I don't think he's found one thing he doesn't like.

Cheers
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #19342
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I'm in complete agreement but have to accept that there are people with a lot more money than me that are willing to accept that sort of loss.
Yeah, not so much my problem. I'm in the stupidity category.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #19343
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
I made my mind up last night... I'm going the GS route. I'll go sign the papers today.

I think that you are referring to skill/comfortabiltiy (and some stupidity). Not saying that some with skills won't sit back and watch just because they don't want to get their bike dirty. When I buy a motorcycle I plan to ride it off-road more than on. Key word is "plan". I already have it in my mind that it will see roads that most will not take it on. I grew up on a dirt bike. I'm more comfortable off-road than on. This is my 5th street legal motorcycle and I'm still trying to get comfortable when leaned over in a curve. This is much like the argument of oil. No one ever wins and the opinions continue to flow. Besides, when it's all said and done... it's just a motorcycle. Everything on it is replaceable. I also think you would be very suprised of the capability with the right person in the riders seat.

I will know more later in the year, but the main reason I'm jumping ship is that there isn't enough motor in the Tiger XC. Sometimes the power is what I need. I found myself needing that extra 400 or so cc's. Getting the front wheel light on the XC is near impossible while off-road. The torque is just not there. I'm hoping the combination of more power and torque, will help me be even more comfortable off-road. My opinion of course. I ride with another guy that is an old road racer. He absolutley loves the XC. I don't think he's found one thing he doesn't like.

Cheers
More power to you!

That GS is a SWEET bike! While it does weigh a bit the weight seems to be carried low and you really don't notice it.

I grew up riding off-road as well but mainly on 2 stroke enduros. Just switching to a 4 stroke DS bike was a big change but that ride on the Beta really won me over.. no need to worry about lifting the front end on that bike!

You are correct that everything is replaceable on the this bike... I know my insurance covers off road mishaps on a couple of my bikes... well at least says it covers but the real truth is when you go to file a claim. The times I put the Strom down I did manage to break a couple of things on the bike but nothing major. However, I never have drowned the bike which would probably be my main concern. Did that to my WR250R in CO this summer and I still have nightmares about it but the bike seems to be over it.

In my case I think the big bike would still be relegated to more street than dirt but I like the option to take the road less traveled. I suspect this year my big bike will be an 800XC.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #19344
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
More power to you!

That GS is a SWEET bike! While it does weigh a bit the weight seems to be carried low and you really don't notice it.
I'm on an XC and my buddy rides a GS with me on lots of off road technical terrain. He did the 21" front wheel conversion and major weight reduction. Not sure if it weighs in less than my XC, but it sure feels like it does.
Good luck with the GS and have fun putting it through the paces

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #19345
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I'm on an XC and my buddy rides a GS with me on lots of off road technical terrain. He did the 21" front wheel conversion and major weight reduction. Not sure if it weighs in less than my XC, but it sure feels like it does.
Good luck with the GS and have fun putting it through the paces
I was on an XC and my buddy rides a GSA. Never takes anything off of it to lessen the weight. I couldn't keep up and probably still won't be able to. But when we jump on the dirt scooters it's a more even pace
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #19346
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Hey all...question for those of you that have an Altrider skid plate:

They say you need to remove the plate to change the oil filter...but in looking at pics it does not appear you need to? Can anyone who has it provide any input?
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #19347
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:

Me. I've taken my 1050 places where I shouldn't have. But, the weight, 17" wheels, and ease of getting down with it are troublesome. I've been dreaming 800, since they came out. Someday.....

Quote:
This is my 5th street legal motorcycle and I'm still trying to get comfortable when leaned over in a curve.
You owe it to yourself to go do some trackdays. Some organizations offer free track schools. Sportbike Track Time has the "Novice" group, which is an all-day track school. There are instructors all over the place watching everyone's progress. It's probably the easiest way to get started with asphalt comfort.

I'm exact opposite of you, in regards to this. I'd really like to own a dirtbike, sometime, to improve my offroad abilities.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #19348
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Me. I've taken my 1050 places where I shouldn't have. But, the weight, 17" wheels, and ease of getting down with it are troublesome. I've been dreaming 800, since they came out. Someday.....

You owe it to yourself to go do some trackdays. Some organizations offer free track schools. Sportbike Track Time has the "Novice" group, which is an all-day track school. There are instructors all over the place watching everyone's progress. It's probably the easiest way to get started with asphalt comfort.

I'm exact opposite of you, in regards to this. I'd really like to own a dirtbike, sometime, to improve my offroad abilities.
I've thought about track days before. I'm comfortable enough that I'm comfortable with how I feel. I'm just more comfortable off road. I'm a total comfort level rider. If I feel un easy I slow down. I still think I ride faster than most. I'm actually worried track days might give me a bigger head and cause more harm than good. Who know...
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #19349
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Hey all...question for those of you that have an Altrider skid plate:

They say you need to remove the plate to change the oil filter...but in looking at pics it does not appear you need to? Can anyone who has it provide any input?

Just recently changed the oil, did not have to remove the altrider skid plate. Oil will drip onto the plate, however... Took some towels to clean it up. Still easier than removing it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #19350
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Just recently changed the oil, did not have to remove the altrider skid plate. Oil will drip onto the plate, however... Took some towels to clean it up. Still easier than removing it.
Thanks! Mine is coming today...was supposed to be yesterday but we got socked with a massive snow storm.....:(
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote