Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #19336
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I think I used some acetone / paint thinner to do a final clean before applying the stickers and the 5200.
Two totally different chemicals. I hope you used acetone, as paint thinner (mineral spirits) leaves a residue. Lacquer thinner does not leave a residue, either.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #19337
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 180
I am a bit curious here.

I am seriously considering selling my 2009 DL650 and getting a Tiger this year. The simplicity, reliability, and my familiarity with the DL is one of the things holding me back.

Besides the DL I also have a WR250R, a Beta 520RR (plated), and a GasGas XC250. When it comes to spoke wheels I have been using Slime in the tubes whenever I mount up a new wheel. Usually I balance the wheel (on the DS bikes) before adding the Slime to the tube.

I usually put a new tube in whenever I am changing a worn tire and repeat the process. Then I save the old tube for a spare and carry it on the bike during a big ride event.

So far I never had a flat with the Slime in the tubes. I got the idea from a couple that were riding the TaT who flew in from New Zealand, bought, and prepped their bikes at my buddy's place. They use to have issues with pinch flats on some of their rides back home and that issue went away when they started adding Slime to their tubes.

Just would seem to be a lot easier and simpler to add Slime to the tube than to seal up the whole wheel.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #19338
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 166
I dont understand how slime helps with pinch flats. The damage to the tube is caused by the rim and is usually located on the rim side of the tube where the slime wont really be present due to the centrifugal action of a spinning wheel. I can see where it might assist with most of the other minor damage flats (small holes vs large tears) and perhaps even in keeping the wheel in balance at highway speeds.

WRT your original topic go for the Tiger. It is a ton of fun, especially on the pavement where you can turn that beautiful triple loose. Just dont expect to be able to toss it around on the dirt like you can with the rest of your stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
I am a bit curious here.

I am seriously considering selling my 2009 DL650 and getting a Tiger this year. The simplicity, reliability, and my familiarity with the DL is one of the things holding me back.

Besides the DL I also have a WR250R, a Beta 520RR (plated), and a GasGas XC250. When it comes to spoke wheels I have been using Slime in the tubes whenever I mount up a new wheel. Usually I balance the wheel (on the DS bikes) before adding the Slime to the tube.

I usually put a new tube in whenever I am changing a worn tire and repeat the process. Then I save the old tube for a spare and carry it on the bike during a big ride event.

So far I never had a flat with the Slime in the tubes. I got the idea from a couple that were riding the TaT who flew in from New Zealand, bought, and prepped their bikes at my buddy's place. They use to have issues with pinch flats on some of their rides back home and that issue went away when they started adding Slime to their tubes.

Just would seem to be a lot easier and simpler to add Slime to the tube than to seal up the whole wheel.
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #19339
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
I am a bit curious here.

Hey Bob, cool bikes there. Obviously you enjoy the more obscure models. I rode a plated '97 GasGas EC250 for 3 or 4 years. That was the first year and had the gear-driven counter balancer for the crankshaft - electric motor smooth! Those are great bikes, I just cannot undersand why they didn't catch on more. Motowest is local to me here, Steve was a real supporter of the brand out here on the west coast, with a motocross racing team and some enduro/hare scrambles racing as well.

The Beta would be a natural extension. I went KTM and Husky. My dualsport is a TE630.

Anyway, out here you get pinch flats on the big bikes from low air pressure and rocks. TKC's are notorious for them due their fairly flexible sidewall, but that makes them really good on pavement as well. So it's kind of a trade off. If you see a 990 in the group with an aggressive rider and he's anywhere under 35lbs with a TKC, figure he'll pinch-flat his front. I really haven't heard of problems with rear tires, just nail holes and cactus stickers.

For most of us slime is just a mess. I don't know anyone that applies it other than for an emergency fix. Everyone I know carries a patch kit and spare tubes, a front all the time, add a rear for any long distance. On a recent 200 mile two-track ride with 15 riders, one guy had two rear flats and another with one, both 990's. All were nails. What we can't figure out is where the nails come from way out in the freakin' desert!

So, if you like it use it, the rest of us will just keep our tubes ready, some will seal their rear rim for the Tiger and run tubeless. Being handy as I am I may just go that route and carry a plugger kit. I'm still on the fence, a flat with a tubless should really be properly patched IMO. But that can be done in the shop instead of in the field, so just plug and go.

As far as upgrading the DL, I had a '02 DL1000, then a Versys. Triumph just builds a nicer bike, they are very smooth. You must not have ridden one yet or you would already have made the upgrade. Based on your bike selection my take is you like to ride fast, and the Tiger is very high performance, way beyond what most of us can ride. Certainly a bike that will make a good rider even better.

My caution would be to not ride one unless you're ready to plunk down the $$ - once bitten you won't be able to get it out of your head. After I test rode both roadie and XC back to back I got on my Versys to ride home and I knew that was the end of it. Put it up for sale and got the new Tiger. I've put as many miles on the Tiger in a year as I did on the Versys in three. The Versys was way more fun that the DL, they are kind of a tank, at least the 1000 is. I liked mine just fine, but there was no Tiger triple adventure bike on the market at that time.

Good luck and keep us posted.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #19340
rsteiger
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TufelHunden View Post
I dont understand how slime helps with pinch flats. The damage to the tube is caused by the rim and is usually located on the rim side of the tube where the slime wont really be present due to the centrifugal action of a spinning wheel. I can see where it might assist with most of the other minor damage flats (small holes vs large tears) and perhaps even in keeping the wheel in balance at highway speeds.

WRT your original topic go for the Tiger. It is a ton of fun, especially on the pavement where you can turn that beautiful triple loose. Just dont expect to be able to toss it around on the dirt like you can with the rest of your stable.
Good point on the Slime and the pinch flats but they swore buy it and said when changing tires they could see where the Slime had sealed the tube. Maybe they messed the tube up during the original installation? Don't have a clue but I use it for that added precaution.

As far as the Tiger goes at one point I was thinking about selling the DL and the WRR to get the Tiger. Most of the riding I do on the WRR is long distance DS stuff where the bike is pretty heavily loaded. Loaded to the point that I don't do anything crazy with it.. in fact I think there are times that I should have taken the Strom with a decent set of dirt tires and it would have been more enjoyable. Based on that I think a Tiger 800XC could fill that nitch for me.

The Beta is more of my base camp style DS ride. I feel like Superman on that bike and it is very confidence inspiring. I just can't load it up for long camping style rides.

I have ridden an 800XC for about 100 miles and while the motor is nice it was the handling that really impressed me. My Strom has a Progressive rear shock and Race Tech Emulators up front with the correct springs for me. That setup was big leap from the stock Strom. The 800XC is a big leap from my current suspension setup on the Strom. I would never had guessed the XC weighs more then my Strom after riding it.

Decisions decisions...
2001 GasGas XC250
Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #19341
rsteiger
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hey Bob, cool bikes there. Obviously you enjoy the more obscure models. I rode a plated '97 GasGas EC250 for 3 or 4 years. That was the first year and had the gear-driven counter balancer for the crankshaft - electric motor smooth! Those are great bikes, I just cannot undersand why they didn't catch on more. Motowest is local to me here, Steve was a real supporter of the brand out here on the west coast, with a motocross racing team and some enduro/hare scrambles racing as well.

The Beta would be a natural extension. I went KTM and Husky. My dualsport is a TE630.

As far as upgrading the DL, I had a '02 DL1000, then a Versys. Triumph just builds a nicer bike, they are very smooth. You must not have ridden one yet or you would already have made the upgrade. Based on your bike selection my take is you like to ride fast, and the Tiger is very high performance, way beyond what most of us can ride. Certainly a bike that will make a good rider even better.

My caution would be to not ride one unless you're ready to plunk down the $$ - once bitten you won't be able to get it out of your head. After I test rode both roadie and XC back to back I got on my Versys to ride home and I knew that was the end of it. Put it up for sale and got the new Tiger. I've put as many miles on the Tiger in a year as I did on the Versys in three. The Versys was way more fun that the DL, they are kind of a tank, at least the 1000 is. I liked mine just fine, but there was no Tiger triple adventure bike on the market at that time.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey Chris!

First off Merry Chirstmas!

Thanks for the explanation on the Slime. I probably will keep using it till I find an issue with it. So far I haven't had a mess with it but I can imagine if a tube lets go there would be quite the mess.

Most of my riding out here is in the mountains and woods - not too much desert stuff around. So I would not necessarily call myself a fast rider but rather a lazy one! I use to have a KTM 450 EXC that I did some suspension work to and really had it set up well for me. Then a buddy of mine who is a Beta Dealer had an unsold 520RR and I made the mistake of riding it. It was so much easier to ride in the tight stuff than the KTM and that was right out of the box... then again maybe I just suck at setting up suspensions. He kept dropping his asking price and finally I could not resist the pull. Bought the Beta and sold the KTM.

The GasGas came to me by way of a friend who was trying to thin his herd. He has 24 bikes and pretty much never rode the GasGas even though he really loved the bike (he is a big time Husky and Duc rider). Made the mistake of riding that one too at an ORV park and bought it. It is a crazy fun woods bike to ride.

Unfortunately I have already ridden the Tiger 800XC and have been bitten so to speak. Another buddy who is a salesman at a dealer has a demo model that he has let me play with - a green one too (I like the green ones!). I has the Triumph luggage on it which I probably would pass on since I have found a decent top box and some soft saddle bags work the best for me when I am out on my adventures. If he drops the bags and takes some off the price it could be all over for me especially with Christmas out of the way.

As stated before I actually think the Tiger 800XC could fill the roles that my DL650 and WR250R are currently used for.
2001 GasGas XC250
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #19342
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Good point on the Slime and the pinch flats but they swore buy it and said when changing tires they could see where the Slime had sealed the tube. Maybe they messed the tube up during the original installation? Don't have a clue but I use it for that added precaution.
As I understand it, the sealants when used in tubes aren't as effective as when used in a tubeless tire. I think the flexibility of the rubber tube may be what can reopen a sealed puncture on a tube. That wouldn't be as likely to happen on the stiffer build of a tire.

Ride-On has this in their FAQ:
Q: Does Ride-On work in tube and tubeless tires?

A: Ride-On TPS will eliminate 85-95% of your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8” for tube tires) that penetrate the contact area of your tire. Ride-On’s efficiency in tube tires is reduced to 55-65% since puncturing objects often tear the tube. It is impossible for a tire sealant to seal a tear. It is vital to remove the puncturing object immediately from a tire containing a tube to prevent further damage that can result in tearing the tube.
Sealant probably works well in tubes for thorns and other small punctures, but might not seal a nail hole permanently. Then, when you need to patch it, you will have some cleanup to do prior to preparing the tube for the patch. After dealing with the mess and not being able to get a patch to stick, I quit using sealant in tubes.

If I'm running tubes I'll keep a spare tube and a full patch kit and be ready for multiple flats.

I've run sealant in tubeless with very good results and would recommend it in that application without reservation.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #19343
RonPogi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Yamaha FZ6 with 2 brothers exhaust vs Triumph 800XC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Ise08Dwjo

Enjoy!
RonPogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #19344
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Hey Chris!

First off Merry Chirstmas!

Thanks for the explanation on the Slime. I probably will keep using it till I find an issue with it. So far I haven't had a mess with it but I can imagine if a tube lets go there would be quite the mess.

Most of my riding out here is in the mountains and woods - not too much desert stuff around. So I would not necessarily call myself a fast rider but rather a lazy one! I use to have a KTM 450 EXC that I did some suspension work to and really had it set up well for me. Then a buddy of mine who is a Beta Dealer had an unsold 520RR and I made the mistake of riding it. It was so much easier to ride in the tight stuff than the KTM and that was right out of the box... then again maybe I just suck at setting up suspensions. He kept dropping his asking price and finally I could not resist the pull. Bought the Beta and sold the KTM.

The GasGas came to me by way of a friend who was trying to thin his herd. He has 24 bikes and pretty much never rode the GasGas even though he really loved the bike (he is a big time Husky and Duc rider). Made the mistake of riding that one too at an ORV park and bought it. It is a crazy fun woods bike to ride.

Unfortunately I have already ridden the Tiger 800XC and have been bitten so to speak. Another buddy who is a salesman at a dealer has a demo model that he has let me play with - a green one too (I like the green ones!). I has the Triumph luggage on it which I probably would pass on since I have found a decent top box and some soft saddle bags work the best for me when I am out on my adventures. If he drops the bags and takes some off the price it could be all over for me especially with Christmas out of the way.

As stated before I actually think the Tiger 800XC could fill the roles that my DL650 and WR250R are currently used for.

Get it!!!

And yes, since you have the plated dirtbikes, the Tiger will cover the DL and WR. The DL is too 'roadie' and the WR is too slow. You'll love the tiger, it's a phenominal motorcycle. IMO it's the best adventure bike out there. And I ride with them all, have checked out them all. Since everything is a compromise, Triumph has done a good job checking all the right boxes. The triple is a fantastic motor.

And yeah, tell them to hang the oem boxes on another one, they're junk. Wolfman, Ortlieb, or Kriegas for softbags, on any of the racks works just fine.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #19345
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Went out for a Christmas Day ride today. Put about 200 miles on the 800XC. Great ride, on a great bike. I notice that there's a vibration in the grips that didn't used to be there. I think I read somewhere on here about some engine bolts needing tightening when someone else experienced something similar. Time to dig up those messages and see what I can figure out...
SPX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #19346
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
I would never had guessed the XC weighs more then my Strom after riding it.
Stock I think the Tiger XC is 20 pounds lighter than the 'Strom. About 28 HP more too. What I wanted my Wee to be when I had it.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #19347
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Engine mounts checking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
....I notice that there's a vibration in the grips that didn't used to be there. I think I read somewhere on here about some engine bolts needing tightening when someone else experienced something similar. Time to dig up those messages and see what I can figure out...
Go Here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=353
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #19348
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
That's it...but the pix are gone.
Just be sure to click for the whole thread and read the other posts. It's easy to find and easy to do - I got about a quarter turn out of mine and it eliminated vibes I didn't know I had.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #19349
Jonathan_McK
Tony_the_Tiger

Oddometer: 3
XC Power Loss

Hey All, I've been riding my 2012 800XC for almost 2 years now and LOVE it.

Problem is about two weeks ago the characteristic silky smooth, even power went away, and now the bike feels %25 less powerful and growls and makes noises on acceleration. I asked a fellow Tiger rider to give it a ride without telling him my suspicion and he confirmed: power loss, engine doesn't feel good.

It still drives though.

Anyone come across this??? I've got 9500 miles on it. Had the 6k service at 7200. (including throttle body synch). Oil is good. Tires are good. Chain is clean as a whistle and oiled like a swimsuit model. No unusual smoke. Characteristics don't change as the engine warms up. MPGs are lower.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan_McK screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 04:49 PM
Jonathan_McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #19350
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPogi View Post
So that's the start, where's the finish?
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote