User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #19456
Vegas800XC
lurker

Oddometer: 62
+1
Two bars (low light) is a gallon left and no bars is about half gallon in my experience. I pay no attention to miles left because it is so wrong, especially when flogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
For those interested..

Ran the gas tank low yesterday... at 1 bar remaining the miles-to-empty read 4 then ---.... then the 1 bar disappeared and miles-to-empty said 0.

Rode another 3 miles or so and put in 4.45 gallons... so apparently you have .5 gallons beyond the 0 miles remaining.
Vegas800XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #19457
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The problem with trying to fit one inside the tank is that there isn't a pipe to fit it to.
I suppose we could fit one from the 955 http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/mah...0850-825-p.asp into the pipe under the tank.
I've yet to pull my tank off my Tiger, but to my understanding that would be too late in the fuel delivery process. Sounds like you're talking about putting that inline filter between the fuel pump output and the fuel injection system of the engine intake.

That won't do anything for when the in-tank filter clogs up and the pump can't get any fuel.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #19458
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas800XC View Post
I pay no attention to miles left because it is so wrong, especially when flogged
It seems to correct for current fuel usage pretty quickly (it probably calculates based on avg mpg for the past 5 miles or so, that's how most work). It's valuable if you have in your head "miles to empty (.5gal) is roughly accurate with current riding style / terrain."
Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #19459
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
I've yet to pull my tank off my Tiger, but to my understanding that would be too late in the fuel delivery process. Sounds like you're talking about putting that inline filter between the fuel pump output and the fuel injection system of the engine intake.

That won't do anything for when the in-tank filter clogs up and the pump can't get any fuel.
That depends on what sort of filter there is in the pump housing. My thinking is, that to last the lifetime of the bike, it's not that fine a filter so would need a 12K filter (much finer) before the efi to catch anything that might get through. Of course, it could be, hopefully, that Triumph, or Keihin, has done their research and determined that the filter in the pump is sufficient to protect everything. Then the concern is whether it clogs up. I suppose only time will tell.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #19460
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
So who wants ti be first to see if there's any chance of doing something like the DL650 filter mod on the Tiger?
You'll have to enlighten me mate.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 AM   #19461
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
You'll have to enlighten me mate.
Oh sorry. There's a mod that could be done on the pre 07 V-Strom - drilling a hole in the pump body to bypass the built in fuel filter. A car style in line filter could then be fitted external to the tank. Never did it myself but it was popular with the dusty climes.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 AM   #19462
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Oh sorry. There's a mod that could be done on the pre 07 V-Strom - drilling a hole in the pump body to bypass the built in fuel filter. A car style in line filter could then be fitted external to the tank. Never did it myself but it was popular with the dusty climes.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html
So that mod only works on early Stroms. Likely that we're like the later ones.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #19463
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
So that mod only works on early Stroms. Likely that we're like the later ones.
Yes only worked with pre K7 (1000 & 650), which I think is 07
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #19464
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Gas filter trend?

I was going to do some preventative maintenance on my 07 Chevy Colorado. So I went down to the local auto parts store and the guy behind the counter told me that I didn't have an external fuel filter. It's part of the fuel pump assembly.
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #19465
Ms.KAG
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
I also have the Alaska sheepskin and it is kick arse
Husband put one on mine and I have to agree it is nice and makes a difference on a long trip
Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #19466
lawdogmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Fog Lights on My Tiger 800

So with 10" of fresh snow, 3 degree temps, kids home from school, what better time to break down and install my LED lamps on my Tiger. I bought a set of 10W LED lamps from Amazon for just $18 for each light and an universal wiring harness for around $15.

The lights are here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and look like this:

When the box from Amazon arrived it tooke me a few minutes to sort out the parts of the wiring harness as it contained a pos and neg wire along with a relay,relay pos and neg, and a switch. A few minutes of internet research helped me figure out to run the positive from the relay to a switched source and the other positive to the battery. I would have run both to the battery but the switch has a red light that is on when power is to the switch.

I ended up pulling off the left side cover that says 800 and ran the wires to the lights and switch behind this panel and then over the radiator to the front of the bike. There was plenty of room under the seat to tuck in the relay and wires and the side panel hides the wires nicely.

I ran the switch up to the handlebars and fabbed up a small plate to mount to the left controls. I took the advice I saw on this forum and connected the positive from the relay to the post on the horn, it does fit snugly when the horn connector is slid over the wire and horn post.

As for mounts, I used a custom made, a $5 pack of shelf supports from Home Depot, spray painted black with an extra hole drilled in the middle. I mounted these to the sides of headlight cluster. The lights are nice and bright (off in the pictures) and I am still working on the aim but so far am happy for a $60 investment.

lawdogmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #19467
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 853
That bracket's looking pretty bad... need to cut down and round off some edges maybe. It's looking like a $40 mod.

Sorry, someone had to say it.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #19468
lawdogmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
That bracket's looking pretty bad... need to cut down and round off some edges maybe. It's looking like a $40 mod.

Sorry, someone had to say it.
Yeah, no worries. I have been thinking about trimming that down after a full shake down. I am also considering buying the full bracket from Twisted Throttle, putting the 15% IMS coupon to good use perhaps.
lawdogmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #19469
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogmd View Post
Yeah, no worries. I have been thinking about trimming that down after a full shake down. I am also considering buying the full bracket from Twisted Throttle, putting the 15% IMS coupon to good use perhaps.

I've got the SWMotech fog light brackets - very nice and dual mount points.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #19470
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Biggest concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogmd View Post
LawDog,
Looks are important to some... I may be one... BUT, the problem with the HD hardware is flexibility. They will give you a failure in time. I absolutely agree to go with some quality mounts for that reason.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote