ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #19456
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogmd View Post
Yeah, no worries. I have been thinking about trimming that down after a full shake down. I am also considering buying the full bracket from Twisted Throttle, putting the 15% IMS coupon to good use perhaps.

I've got the SWMotech fog light brackets - very nice and dual mount points.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate GETLOZT) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #19457
motonut
Old Guy
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Deep Woods
Oddometer: 62
Biggest concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogmd View Post
Yeah, no worries. I have been thinking about trimming that down after a full shake down. I am also considering buying the full bracket from Twisted Throttle, putting the 15% IMS coupon to good use perhaps.
LawDog,
Looks are important to some... I may be one... BUT, the problem with the HD hardware is flexibility. They will give you a failure in time. I absolutely agree to go with some quality mounts for that reason.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #19458
lawdogmd
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
LawDog,
Looks are important to some... I may be one... BUT, the problem with the HD hardware is flexibility. They will give you a failure in time. I absolutely agree to go with some quality mounts for that reason.
What can I say, I used to have a KLR. Old habits die hard.
lawdogmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #19459
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer
 
akaDigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
For those interested..

Ran the gas tank low yesterday... at 1 bar remaining the miles-to-empty read 4 then ---.... then the 1 bar disappeared and miles-to-empty said 0.

Rode another 3 miles or so and put in 4.45 gallons... so apparently you have .5 gallons beyond the 0 miles remaining.
Also for those interested..

I ran the gas tank dry. Bike began to sputter 20 miles after gauge read -- miles to empty. I rode the bike at a conservation pace during the 20 miles. I would say my findings corroborate klinquist's.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Baja 2012, my first moto tour
Oaxaca, Estados Unidos Mexicanos
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #19460
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer
 
akaDigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Oddometer: 501
Fuel Tank Weir Gone South

Okay, I knew there was an issue with this flimsy weir. I knew guys had complained about how easily they were knocked down into the tank. I still let random strangers fuel my bike during my just completed tour of Mexico. Now I will obviously have to get it out of the tank. No problem there. Can it be saved or is it f-ked? Any thing else I should know before I attempt to fix it?

I believe it was still in place when I took this photo.


I wish I had had my camera in hand when this attendant walked around the back of my bike and stuck the nozzle in the exhaust pipe. Don't wig out. I shut her down before there was any danger.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Baja 2012, my first moto tour
Oaxaca, Estados Unidos Mexicanos
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #19461
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GearHd6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ashford, CT
Oddometer: 166
I assume you're talking about the bars that block the fuel fill? Mine are metal and rugged, some are plastic and very fragile. I'd just leave the pieces in the tank. No big deal.
__________________
2015 Tiger 800 XCx
2004 CRF250X
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #19462
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer
 
akaDigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I assume you're talking about the bars that block the fuel fill? Mine are metal and rugged, some are plastic and very fragile. I'd just leave the pieces in the tank. No big deal.
If that piece is made of plastic I should be able to salvage it. They should have left the fill weir as it was on my '11, steel and rugged.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Baja 2012, my first moto tour
Oaxaca, Estados Unidos Mexicanos
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #19463
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 416
TuneECU and DealerTool

I've got DealerTool which came with the USB to OBDII cable.

Is anyone using that same cable for TuneECU or does it require a different one?

I know the software differences, just want to know if the DT cable is compatible with both.

Thanks
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #19464
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogmd View Post
What can I say, I used to have a KLR. Old habits die hard.
I say ride the thing until a great deal pops up for some mounts. Your mount is working



Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Okay, I knew there was an issue with this flimsy weir. I knew guys had complained about how easily they were knocked down into the tank. I still let random strangers fuel my bike during my just completed tour of Mexico. Now I will obviously have to get it out of the tank. No problem there. Can it be saved or is it f-ked? Any thing else I should know before I attempt to fix it?

.

The fuel tank filler guard on my wife's Tiger 800 did not last 3 fill ups before it ended up in the tank. Its still floating around in there and there is no plan to fish it out either.
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #19465
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
TuneECU and DealerTool

I've got DealerTool which came with the USB to OBDII cable.

Is anyone using that same cable for TuneECU or does it require a different one?

I know the software differences, just want to know if the DT cable is compatible with both.

Thanks
I have both, and must use specific and separate cables for each.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #19466
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kingofZroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Montrose, CO
Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I assume you're talking about the bars that block the fuel fill? Mine are metal and rugged, some are plastic and very fragile. I'd just leave the pieces in the tank. No big deal.

Metal ones fall out too!! I got mine out before it could bounce around in the tank and do further damage...



Sent from my iPhone using the "hunt & peck" typing method...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #19467
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
Metal ones fall out too!! I got mine out before it could bounce around in the tank and do further damage...



Sent from my iPhone using the "hunt & peck" typing method...

I believe those are in there to protect an otherwise vulnerable fuel pump. But as long as la chica doesn't crack your fuel pump with the next overzealous thrust, you should be okay.
__________________
Lusting for: Currently Sated with the new XCx
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2015 Tiger 800 XCx -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster, 2011 800 XC
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:09 AM   #19468
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer
 
akaDigger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I believe those are in there to protect an otherwise vulnerable fuel pump. But as long as la chica doesn't crack your fuel pump with the next overzealous thrust, you should be okay.
I began fueling it myself after I noticed it was knocked out for that very reason. I had to admit to my riding buddy (who always fuels his bike himself) that I had let it happen. I got a good "I told you" from him.
__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller
Baja 2012, my first moto tour
Oaxaca, Estados Unidos Mexicanos
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #19469
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Oddometer: 312
2013 Tiger 800XC: I broke the center plastic support rod that passes through the windshield mount.

Bikebandit's schematic here is incorrect, though:

http://www.bikebandit.com/2013-trium...5146#sch784281

Part #7 is the area that broke, but the way it is on their schematic, part #7 has two tabs that stick out from it. My bike, there is an integral rod to part #14 made of plastic. Those tabs pass through a hollow opening in part #7.

Anyone know any other place to get parts for a Tiger?
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
1993 XR600R
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #19470
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
IronJackWhitton's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 141
So far stateside the cheapest for accessories is "all things triumph" out of Detroit. Granted I only know about accessories from them, but they are a dealer I think so they may be able to get parts for you.
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015