Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #19456
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Hey Browneye:

About those hooks on the lid of your topbox:
- How do you prevent water from getting in the box?
- What are those, where did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #19457
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Hey Browneye:

About those hooks on the lid of your topbox:
- How do you prevent water from getting in the box?
- What are those, where did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
Lion
Those are strap-eyes, nickel plate, you can buy at any industrial hardware outlet, through bolted with flush head machine screws and nylocs. I suppose in a downpour or submerged they might leak, but these are plastic boxes so cinched down they are like their own gasket, and there's a flat washer on the inside. I've never had them leak washing the bike or after a stint of riding in the rain - I don't ride in the rain much.
If they did leak I'd probly put a dab of silicone on the backside or to bed them before you cinch them down.

I make up tie-down straps of 1" nylon with quick adjust buckles and a loop-end like a rock-strap so it's easy to tie down a tent bag or roli-bag or whatever. I have several pairs and they work great for tieing down a rollbag or gear bag to seat or rack.

Here's from a trip this last summer, I had a medium roli bag (wolfman) with a 6L dromedary bag for water, a sun shower, and probly an extra drink bottle in it. If we're gonna be off the beaten path sometimes we have to haul our own water. Sometimes I'll throw a tent bag on there but this time it got strapped to the top of the left pannier, the BIG sleeping pad on the passenger seat. This was a road trip so I didn't mind the extra bulk. Pretty lightweight setup though. I'll usually bungy-net my backpack back there instead of wearing it. If it's really hot it's a hydration pack and then I would wear it.

Notice there's a tow-strap and a A-lite chair tied down back there as well. I always have a big folding k-bar knife in a sheath fastened down on my luggage somewhere too. Good for food prep or perp prep.

In winter I'll put TWO sleeping bags and the big pad, longjohns and a down sweater, in a 35L roll-top bag (ortlieb) and tie that down on the passenger seat. Getting ready for this same annual trip coming up in about a week. Sunday morning it was 19deg. WTF???

These pics have my tent tied down on the topbox. It's a 2-man that weighs about 4lbs. I put the heavy stuff in the paniers.

browneye screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 06:41 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #19458
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Those are strap-eyes, nickel plate, you can buy at any industrial hardware outlet, through bolted with flush head machine screws and nylocs.
This place has them (calls them footman loops) in plastic, anodized, stainless, and powder coated. I've bought their stainless ones and they're nice (though I haven't seriously tested their corrosion resistance). Prices are good, bulk discounts, etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #19459
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
or whether synthetic blinker fluid is really better.
I always thought it was.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #19460
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Those are strap-eyes, nickel plate, you can buy at any industrial hardware outlet, through bolted with flush head machine screws and nylocs. I suppose in a downpour or submerged they might leak, but these are plastic boxes so cinched down they are like their own gasket, and there's a flat washer on the inside. I've never had them leak washing the bike or after a stint of riding in the rain - I don't ride in the rain much.
If they did leak I'd probly put a dab of silicone on the backside or to bed them before you cinch them down.
Thanks Browneye. I'll look into that. My setup is not waterproof, the Pelican Storm topcase is my only safe heaven for electronics. That's why I was wondering whether it would leak.

The bag on top of the pelican box was cinched with zipties in holes I made in edges of the box (then additional straps were added and connected to the bike for extra safety), that did not compromise the water tightness. I could open the box, but the setup is not as good as what could be done with strap-eyes like you have.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #19461
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post
This place has them (calls them footman loops) in plastic, anodized, stainless, and powder coated. I've bought their stainless ones and they're nice (though I haven't seriously tested their corrosion resistance). Prices are good, bulk discounts, etc.
Great. They have black ones as well.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 01:57 PM
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #19462
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post

That's a great site. Bookmarked for future use.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #19463
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
What size are your side cases Browneye? I am wrestling between Wolfman expedition dry bags and seahorse side cases. What ever I don't get I'll probably get later as alternative. I like the ability to have lockable cases for security but the dry bags would be great for back roads and forest trails/camping.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #19464
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
What size are your side cases Browneye? I am wrestling between Wolfman expedition dry bags and seahorse side cases. What ever I don't get I'll probably get later as alternative. I like the ability to have lockable cases for security but the dry bags would be great for back roads and forest trails/camping.

All three cases are seahorse se-720's.
I got them originally for my Versys primarily because they were cheap. But they've turned out to be so good and just the right size that I've never wanted slightly larger and slightly tougher Storm i2600 or Pelican 1550. These latter two are what twisted throttle and carribou cases sells. Check out the overall dimensions. That you can get them for about $50 is just icing.

They are pretty easy to fill up, but then that keeps one from packing too much junk.

A couple of small padlocks would be required to lock them properly. I've never bothered because I don't camp in the city.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #19465
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
All three cases are seahorse se-720's.
I got them originally for my Versys primarily because they were cheap. But they've turned out to be so good and just the right size that I've never wanted slightly larger and slightly tougher Storm i2600 or Pelican 1550. These latter two are what twisted throttle and carribou cases sells. Check out the overall dimensions. That you can get them for about $50 is just icing.

They are pretty easy to fill up, but then that keeps one from packing too much junk.

A couple of small padlocks would be required to lock them properly. I've never bothered because I don't camp in the city.
Thanks! Those are actually the models I was looking at and they can be ordered with metal flush locks so I can lock them while at work. I am looking at wolfman side racks as well. What do you have?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #19466
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
Thanks! Those are actually the models I was looking at and they can be ordered with metal flush locks so I can lock them while at work. I am looking at wolfman side racks as well. What do you have?
Happy Trails racks.
If you want wolfman you better get on the stick as they have been discontinued - Berg is no longer building racks for them so unless or until they get a new fabricator, which I'm guessing they will, stock will likely run out.

I wish I would have gotten the wolfmans but I had HT racks on the last bike so I already had the mounting pucks and the cases were drilled. They they changed the mounting so I had to re-drill the top holes anyway.

Wolfman bags will work on the ht racks as well, so if I want to go that route it's always an option.

The ht racks are very stout and protect the passenger peg brackets well. And there's space on the inside left for a fuel can, tool box, etc. They have their pros and cons. All of the racks and cases are pretty wide on the Tiger.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #19467
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Thanks Browneye. I'll look into that. My setup is not waterproof, the Pelican Storm topcase is my only safe heaven for electronics. That's why I was wondering whether it would leak.

The bag on top of the pelican box was cinched with zipties in holes I made in edges of the box (then additional straps were added and connected to the bike for extra safety), that did not compromise the water tightness. I could open the box, but the setup is not as good as what could be done with strap-eyes like you have.
That grey bag over the passenger seat is really interesting. Who makes it?

I like how it is much more narrow than a set of panniers. I imagine it costs a lot less than a pannier set, too.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #19468
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 258
Went into the local triumph dealership to moon over the Scrambler and ended up sitting on a Tiger 800. Despite the fact I prefer how the Scram looks, the Tiger sure felt good. I may have to revise my short list. They are also a BMW dealership and without causing the old Tiger vs F800 debate to rear its ugly head, the dealer all but came out and said if it were him he would buy the Triumph.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #19469
BDKrivit
Kriv

Oddometer: 81
[QUOTE=Lion BR;23176514]Thanks Browneye. I'll look into that. My setup is not waterproof, the Pelican Storm topcase is my only safe heaven for electronics. That's why I was wondering whether it would leak.

Nice Giant Loop; I am very pleased w/ mine.

It mount it on top of my tank bag so it's totally off the heat shield and the tank is clear for the long rides...
2013 Nutmeg 400
2014 Nutmeg 400
BDKrivit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #19470
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
Went into the local triumph dealership to moon over the Scrambler and ended up sitting on a Tiger 800. Despite the fact I prefer how the Scram looks, the Tiger sure felt good. I may have to revise my short list. They are also a BMW dealership and without causing the old Tiger vs F800 debate to rear its ugly head, the dealer all but came out and said if it were him he would buy the Triumph.
Interesting honesty from a dealer.

It's a no brainer though, just go ride both back to back.

Bike choice for scrambler vs tiger would be how you're gonna ride, where you're gonna take it. The scrambler is a cool bike but it's a retro conventional roadbike. Again, ride them back to back and see which one makes you smile.