ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #19936
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Seems excessive - I was always under the impression is was more like 3 or 4, NOT 40

Its a Girlie that only takes 3 or 4 cycles to reset.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '14 Street Triple, '00 KLR 650(current project), and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #19937
mltp
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Bloemfontein, RSA
Oddometer: 9
Tiger 800xc rebuild

Hey Guiltyparty, if you wouldn't mind could you keep us updated every now and then on your rebuild? Love to see how the FrankenTiger turns out
mltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #19938
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys
 
Wandering Dane's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Lone Tree, Colorado
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Seems excessive - I was always under the impression is was more like 3 or 4, NOT 40
What can I say; the service manual says 40 for all resets.
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #19939
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dane View Post
What can I say; the service manual says 40 for all resets.
I guess I need to take shorter rides. Fewer miles, but more resets. Maybe I can find out where the nearest biker bars are and just go from bar to bar every day. Probably get it knocked out in a few days.

Makes you wonder if the programmer was a Harley rider.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.


MotoTex screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 06:45 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #19940
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Its a Girlie that only takes 3 or 4 cycles to reset.
And pretty much every other Triumph....40 still seems excessive to me.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #19941
GuiltyParty
drifter
 
GuiltyParty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: London
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltp View Post
Hey Guiltyparty, if you wouldn't mind could you keep us updated every now and then on your rebuild? Love to see how the FrankenTiger turns out
hey mltp, I'll post more of an update this weekend. It seems the more I do to it the more I find something else to do It's getting there though. here's a grainy pic when I mounted the light just to see how it's shaping up

__________________
Triumph Tiger 800 xc
Walkabout in Russia and Central Asia http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877576
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #19942
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
And, the check engine light will stay lit for weeks, and thousands of miles.

It finally went out a couple of weekends ago while I was riding five to ten hours a day over three days and 1100+ miles. Nice to see that it was eventually made happy about the state of things.

Or the perfect time to buy another tool...it's called DealerTool!!
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #19943
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Or the perfect time to buy another tool...it's called DealerTool!!
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. If they sold the cable/software at Autozone or BestBuy I'd probably have it and the other program/adapter too. It's one of them 'roun tuit sitcheations.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #19944
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TxLoneRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 343
Cush drive

So, I just put a new rear on the bike, and the found it took A LOT of effort to re-seat the sprocket carrier into the rim.

Any ideas???

Lubricate the rubber with some water? White Lithium grease?

Or, do I just need to suck it up, buttercup??
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #19945
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. If they sold the cable/software at Autozone or BestBuy I'd probably have it and the other program/adapter too. It's one of them 'roun tuit sitcheations.
You got eBay over there, right? http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/vag-com-kkl-409-1 Download Tuneecu and reset the fault code. Sorted.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #19946
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
So, I just put a new rear on the bike, and the found it took A LOT of effort to re-seat the sprocket carrier into the rim.

Any ideas???

Lubricate the rubber with some water? White Lithium grease?

Or, do I just need to suck it up, buttercup??
Check you've got the rubbers the right way round. Mine goes in easy.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #19947
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TxLoneRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Check you've got the rubbers the right way round. Mine goes in easy.
Sadly, my bike only has about 6,000 miles on it. I've noticed on previous bikes, it gets easier and the cush drive rubber breaks in over time. My old ZX9r, at 16 or 20k miles had a cush drive rubber sufficiently "experienced" there was slop in it, and putting in the sprocket carrier would result in a thud as the spacer hit the bearing

But yeah, I am pretty sure it is in there correctly, won't fit if you flip it over (IIRC that is).

hmmm.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #19948
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Sadly, my bike only has about 6,000 miles on it. I've noticed on previous bikes, it gets easier and the cush drive rubber breaks in over time. My old ZX9r, at 16 or 20k miles had a cush drive rubber sufficiently "experienced" there was slop in it, and putting in the sprocket carrier would result in a thud as the spacer hit the bearing

But yeah, I am pretty sure it is in there correctly, won't fit if you flip it over (IIRC that is).

hmmm.
OK, just throwing it out there as I did it once but realized before I tried to fit the sprocket carrier.
Other than that just try a bit of loob.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #19949
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TxLoneRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 343
Rubber lubricant

So, on another forum, one of the motoheads there suggested I look for Ru-Glide. He uses it for everything where there is a tight rubber fitment, including cush drives.

And, best of all, for the lazy, available at Amazon
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #19950
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,158
I use Ru Glide for tire mounting. Wish I had had it when I mounted my E07s. Works great for tires. Its available by the gallon at Napa!
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '14 Street Triple, '00 KLR 650(current project), and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014