RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #19939
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Yeah, but mine's a Roadie..
Ok, you can stay, then. But that other guy has got to go...

lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #19940
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
That dual batter switch think looks pretty good right now. Given the size of the battery, I would probably not try to charge it through a 5-15A fuse.

Seriously, after more though, switch/charging circuit is probably a decent solution. You will just need to play with the wiring, get some 6 or 8 guage (what ever the bike uses) cable, and crimp on the appropriate connectors to get to the switch.
I really don't like the idea of a dual battery switch. It may be the only solution but before I do that, I want to see if I can avoid battery side wiring and use a safe circuit out of the powerlet or the SAE connector.

I'm not sure what term is correct, but a relay/voltage controller I could install in the auxiliary battery bag to shut off if the voltage gets low would be my preferred solution. That way I'm not screwing with the bike. It would just be plug and play from the powerlet which is fused, or the SAE which is a direct connect to the bike battery.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #19941
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827565

Seems like you could use that to rig up a circuit off the fuse block to provide the necessary power (15A?) to charge the 2nd battery when the bike is running.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #19942
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
Gents, thank you for the recommendations. I ended up getting Roger from Onroad Offroad (a RaceTech Service Centre) in Austin to sort it out. Fitted an 18.5kg spring with Race Tech Gold valve
Took 2 weeks to get the mega heavy spring fitted, valving is not spot on but ... it rides like a real bike now
Sorry for the delay in letting you know how it panned out

Now which way to Alaska???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
He didn't. But two other posters followed up with suggestions for valving packages.

Actually, on the XC I needed harder springs and softer valving to get it right. The OEM valves are very harsh, presumably to make up for the light springs. This is what made the stock such a pain for my greater weight. I didn't revalve the shock and I can feel the harshness more now with a spring that gives me 30% sag with no preload. Springs support the load, valves control how the suspension moves through the travel. If the spring is right the valves can usually be lighter than OEM and perform very nicely. At least that has been my experience.

Plus, there is the valve stack to consider. I prefer it lighter on the fast hits and slower on the hard hits. This can be achieved by adjusting the shim stack to respond appropriately.

I had good luck with the Pro-Action franchise in Austin on a KTM950ADV. It was a one-trip service that produced results beyond my expectations. Unfortunately they didn't have a recipe for the Tiger.

RaceTech has service centers in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana. Following the criteria in the Tiger Suspension thread it might be possible to have the work completed at any of those stops in a day, or three if they have to order parts.

He started in Utah, and posted while in Tuscon. So, yes he has plenty of East between him and Florida.

I figured he had in mind the sooner, the better. So someplace in New Mexico, Texas, or thereabouts would likely be preferable to Alabama. I know it would be if I were in that situation and hating the ride. With that load it is probably borderline dangerous on the OEM setup. I know I'm glad to be rid of the rocking horse suspension on mine.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #19943
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Well come on over. June is the best time!!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #19944
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827565

Seems like you could use that to rig up a circuit off the fuse block to provide the necessary power (15A?) to charge the 2nd battery when the bike is running.
If not that one I've seen one similar to it. It's pretty cool and an elegant solution but I think it's way overkill for what I want to accomplish. Plus, I would like to be able to move the battery from vehicle to vehicle. Might not always be motorcycle camping.

I talked to a local mechanic today and I'm looking at putting the battery, whatever protective relay/device, and charger/cables into a pelican case I can mount to the passenger peg brackets. Plug and play.

Might as well throw a solar panel in there, put it on kickstarter and make a fortune while I'm at it.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #19945
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Ask him to make you a set of his custom hand-guards while he's there.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #19946
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Is that why the capital is named June-o?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #19947
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Gents, thank you for the recommendations. I ended up getting Roger from Onroad Offroad (a RaceTech Service Centre) in Austin to sort it out. Fitted an 18.5kg spring with Race Tech Gold valve
Took 2 weeks to get the mega heavy spring fitted, valving is not spot on but ... it rides like a real bike now
Sorry for the delay in letting you know how it panned out.
Roger did my work as well. He is very accommodating and a good wrench, but my valving on the forks isn't as plush as I had hoped for either, though it is worlds better than stock for certain.

I had to have him replace the fork springs several times while working our way toward the 30% sag I had specified. We got to 25% and could go down one more step to get there, but I grew weary of doing the disassembly, making a two hour round trip to drop the forks off, and a week without a bike, then a two hour round trip to pick them up each time. I'll get it dialed in some day.

Overall I'm pleased with Roger's assembly work and his willingness to keep at it until I was satisfied, but having had work done on the KTM at another shop in Austin (that didn't have data on the Tiger) I came away from there with exactly what I asked for, the first time. The guy at T.J.'s asked all the right questions and really has a feel for stacking the shims to get it the way you wanted. Just wish his franchise had the Tiger in their database. I would love for it to feel more like the 950 Adventure's front end did after that rework.

I'm glad to hear you have it working for you now. Hopefully some of the work done on my bike helped Roger get yours the way you needed. Have a great trip!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #19948
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
If not that one I've seen one similar to it. It's pretty cool and an elegant solution but I think it's way overkill for what I want to accomplish. Plus, I would like to be able to move the battery from vehicle to vehicle. Might not always be motorcycle camping.
You lost me... The fuse block would be mounted on the bike, but one circuit would have an SAE pigtail (or similar). You'd just plug your battery in whenever you need to. No need to have the battery permanently connected...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #19949
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
You lost me... The fuse block would be mounted on the bike, but one circuit would have an SAE pigtail (or similar). You'd just plug your battery in whenever you need to. No need to have the battery permanently connected...
And the relay/protection would walk away with the auxiliary battery, making it portable to another vehicle. No modification needed to the bike's wiring. Which is what I'm hoping to achieve.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #19950
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
Roger did say he had done 1 other Tiger, not sure he recorded what he did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Roger did my work as well. He is very accommodating and a good wrench, but my valving on the forks isn't as plush as I had hoped for either, though it is worlds better than stock for certain.

I had to have him replace the fork springs several times while working our way toward the 30% sag I had specified. We got to 25% and could go down one more step to get there, but I grew weary of doing the disassembly, making a two hour round trip to drop the forks off, and a week without a bike, then a two hour round trip to pick them up each time. I'll get it dialed in some day.

Overall I'm pleased with Roger's assembly work and his willingness to keep at it until I was satisfied, but having had work done on the KTM at another shop in Austin (that didn't have data on the Tiger) I came away from there with exactly what I asked for, the first time. The guy at T.J.'s asked all the right questions and really has a feel for stacking the shims to get it the way you wanted. Just wish his franchise had the Tiger in their database. I would love for it to feel more like the 950 Adventure's front end did after that rework.

I'm glad to hear you have it working for you now. Hopefully some of the work done on my bike helped Roger get yours the way you needed. Have a great trip!