User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #20056
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
What Did You Pay OTD for 2014 Tiger 800 ABS

I am looking to buy a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS. Although I'm in Central Florida, just wondering what others have paid for their Tiger. Finally narrowed my dealer choice to St. Pete Motorsports. Read pretty poor reviews on other Triumph dealers nearer me and these guys seem to have the best reputation.

I'd appreciate hearing from other Tiger buyers on their best price. Thanks in-advance. Good riding.
CaptMako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #20057
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMako View Post
I am looking to buy a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS. Although I'm in Central Florida, just wondering what others have paid for their Tiger. Finally narrowed my dealer choice to St. Pete Motorsports. Read pretty poor reviews on other Triumph dealers nearer me and these guys seem to have the best reputation.

I'd appreciate hearing from other Tiger buyers on their best price. Thanks in-advance. Good riding.
Paid $12,300 OTD on my 2013 800XC at Magic City. Sale was easy enough as I knew what I wanted, they didn't have to sell me anything. Had a LOT of warranty work done there already. Would I recommend them? 50/50. Would I buy from them again? Probably not since I won't be getting another Triumph. They matched my quote from St Pete and that saved me a 2 hour drive. Otherwise I would have gone to St Pete.

I wouldn't really be concerned where you buy from, but rather where you will get warranty work done. Are you doing to drive back to St Pete each time you need something fixed? Would have been a weekly trip for me.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #20058
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
Finally got around to installing the HyperPro shock. I was dreading it but it wasn't that bad. You just had to have an assortment of tools.

To remove the links - 16mm & 17mm
Shock lower - T55 Torx bit & 17mm
Shock upper - 8mm Allen & 14mm

I also installed some raising links (+1 inch) while I was at it to save wear and tear on my boot toes in the turns. No problem for the side stand. In case you wanted to see the difference in links.

Remote preload adjuster option.

I took the bike for a short test ride today. Very interesting and hard to describe. It felt like I had new tires, very fluid. The ride didn't seem as harsh. I'm 250lbs geared up and I think I was over taxing my stock shock. I also ordered some progressive fork springs & 10W oil from the same place so now I need to get those installed pronto.

I went ahead and removed the rear tire for the install to give me some extra room and that was when I noticed my rear brake pads, WHOA. The outboard pad is a little thin. Ordered some new pads tonight.

I have about 16,500 miles on the 2011 Tiger.
Straight rate spring or progressive? I added the Hyperpro spring kit in mine and that has helped a lot but eventually I want better suspension. One of those was on my list of options. Worth the buy?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #20059
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Paid $12,300 OTD on my 2013 800XC at Magic City. Sale was easy enough as I knew what I wanted, they didn't have to sell me anything. Had a LOT of warranty work done there already. Would I recommend them? 50/50. Would I buy from them again? Probably not since I won't be getting another Triumph. They matched my quote from St Pete and that saved me a 2 hour drive. Otherwise I would have gone to St Pete.

I wouldn't really be concerned where you buy from, but rather where you will get warranty work done. Are you doing to drive back to St Pete each time you need something fixed? Would have been a weekly trip for me.
Thanks for the input Cory1848. I am very close to Daytona BMW/Triumph. Who, as you probably know, own Magic City, too. I ride a BMW now and will not publicly dog them, but let's say I don't care for them. Point taken on proximity to me here in New Smyrna Beach relative St. Pete. I'll see what St. Pete allows and if I can snag a good deal on a Tiger 800 ABS then I'll check to see what Magic City could do. Oh, I looked at the XC, too, but I rarely do any dirting much anymore. Cory1848 - you happy with your bike as you indicate
you wouldn't buy another Triumph?

CaptMako screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 08:16 AM
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #20060
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
Finally got around to installing the HyperPro shock. I was dreading it but it wasn't that bad. You just had to have an assortment of tools.

To remove the links - 16mm & 17mm
Shock lower - T55 Torx bit & 17mm
Shock upper - 8mm Allen & 14mm

I also installed some raising links (+1 inch) while I was at it to save wear and tear on my boot toes in the turns. No problem for the side stand. In case you wanted to see the difference in links.

Remote preload adjuster option.

I took the bike for a short test ride today. Very interesting and hard to describe. It felt like I had new tires, very fluid. The ride didn't seem as harsh. I'm 250lbs geared up and I think I was over taxing my stock shock. I also ordered some progressive fork springs & 10W oil from the same place so now I need to get those installed pronto.

I went ahead and removed the rear tire for the install to give me some extra room and that was when I noticed my rear brake pads, WHOA. The outboard pad is a little thin. Ordered some new pads tonight.

I have about 16,500 miles on the 2011 Tiger.

Looks good! Lots of fun getting the stock shock out isn't it? I thought I was going to have to remove the reservoir to do it.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #20061
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the input Cory1848. I am very close to Daytona BMW/Triumph. Who, as you probably know, own Magic City, too. I ride a BMW now and will not publicly dog them, but let's say I don't care for them. Point taken on proximity to me here in New Smyrna Beach relative St. Pete. I'll see what St. Pete allows and if I can snag a good deal on a Tiger 800 ABS then I'll check to see what Magic City could do. Oh, I looked at the XC, too, but I rarely do any dirting much anymore. Cory1848 - you happy with your bike as you indicate
you wouldn't buy another Triumph?
Let me just say there are a number of post where I bitch about it...lol.

Without any problems, it is a great bike. Fits me well, love the seating position. Rides well, plenty of power for what I need. 2-up is comfortable. Overall great bike. My issues are with quality control. I have had more warranty work billed out to Triumph than the bike is worth. New engine cases for a leaky engine, tires and front end work to try and solve a bouncing front end, fuel pump/gauge issues, and the list goes on. I have 8k on it now and I am now finally able to enjoy it, but it has already soured me. I have owed it for a year, and once the warranty is up in another year, I will probably look for something else.

If I had not experienced any of the issues I have had, I would be recommending this bike like most others have. Guess I got a lemon. If Florida had a lemon law for bikes, it would have been gone long ago. I like the dual sport aspect of it and that is why I really went with it. I never considered the roadie as if I were to go in that direction, I would have bought a sport touring bike.

I don't care for the Daytona shop either. They wouldn't give me the time of day when I went looking to buy. Too busy to talk to me even with no customers in the building.

Check out http://www.mcenthusiasts.com/ as well.

They were a very close second on my dealer choice. Didn't have the XC in stock when I was ready and I wasn't patient enough to wait.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #20062
Meteos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:

I know it is bit of a haul, but I recommend the Triumph shop in Pompano. They are super friendly, helpful, and love to chill and talk bikes. I live in Miami and head there way anytime I need to buy anything. I just bought an OEM center stand from them 2 weeks ago. Avoid motorcycles of Miami like the plague. And while you're at it...avoid Miami too.
Meteos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #20063
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteos View Post
I know it is bit of a haul, but I recommend the Triumph shop in Pompano. They are super friendly, helpful, and love to chill and talk bikes. I live in Miami and head there way anytime I need to buy anything. I just bought an OEM center stand from them 2 weeks ago. Avoid motorcycles of Miami like the plague. And while you're at it...avoid Miami too.
Mateos.... What kind of problems have you had with Motorcycles of miami? I got mine serviced there for the 500 mile service and it was a good experience.

granted it wasn't any major job but just curious what your experience was for future reference.
'02 Kawasaki KX250 (Sold)
jpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #20064
Meteos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Mateos.... What kind of problems have you had with Motorcycles of miami? I got mine serviced there for the 500 mile service and it was a good experience.

granted it wasn't any major job but just curious what your experience was for future reference.
Service folks there are great, just the overall floor experience is a little too sales-y. The atmosphere is rich guys on rich bikes... Good experiences from the parts crew.
Meteos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #20065
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Let me just say there are a number of post where I bitch about it...lol.

Without any problems, it is a great bike. Fits me well, love the seating position. Rides well, plenty of power for what I need. 2-up is comfortable. Overall great bike. My issues are with quality control. I have had more warranty work billed out to Triumph than the bike is worth. New engine cases for a leaky engine, tires and front end work to try and solve a bouncing front end, fuel pump/gauge issues, and the list goes on. I have 8k on it now and I am now finally able to enjoy it, but it has already soured me. I have owed it for a year, and once the warranty is up in another year, I will probably look for something else.

If I had not experienced any of the issues I have had, I would be recommending this bike like most others have. Guess I got a lemon. If Florida had a lemon law for bikes, it would have been gone long ago. I like the dual sport aspect of it and that is why I really went with it. I never considered the roadie as if I were to go in that direction, I would have bought a sport touring bike.

I don't care for the Daytona shop either. They wouldn't give me the time of day when I went looking to buy. Too busy to talk to me even with no customers in the building.

Check out http://www.mcenthusiasts.com/ as well.

They were a very close second on my dealer choice. Didn't have the XC in stock when I was ready and I wasn't patient enough to wait.
Thanks Cory. I'm sorry you got a sketchy bike. I would be pissed if I had to go to a dealer more than about 1 time on a new bike. I may have to just keep riding my airhead. Thought a more modern bike might attract my wife riding with me as the airhead is a single rider machine. I may have to ponder my decision on the Tiger much more. I do wish you good things in the future with your Tiger. Thanks greatly for all the information, too.

Meteos - you say avoid Miami. I do and I will. Used to drive a lot for a sales
mgr. position I had and Miami even a few years ago must have given me too many ulcers. They will never finish I-95 there. Only time I cast a shadow in Miami is trying to get through it to go to the Keys. Thanks for your tip about Triumph of Pompano.

Sign me, in conclusion, may be getting too old to give up my half a VW.

Safe riding gents.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #20066
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,298
Quote:
Thanks Cory. I'm sorry you got a sketchy bike. I would be pissed if I had to go to a dealer more than about 1 time on a new bike. I may have to just keep riding my airhead. Thought a more modern bike might attract my wife riding with me as the airhead is a single rider machine. I may have to ponder my decision on the Tiger much more. I do wish you good things in the future with your Tiger. Thanks greatly for all the information, too.

Meteos - you say avoid Miami. I do and I will. Used to drive a lot for a sales
mgr. position I had and Miami even a few years ago must have given me too many ulcers. They will never finish I-95 there. Only time I cast a shadow in Miami is trying to get through it to go to the Keys. Thanks for your tip about Triumph of Pompano.

Sign me, in conclusion, may be getting too old to give up my half a VW.

Safe riding gents.
I hate to be a negative-nellie and sound like an asshat (which I probly am so my apologies in advance), but sheesh, we got one guy on a internet forum that futzed around with his bike for a year and should have just sold it and moved on and that's enough to stop you from buying one? Whatevs.

Never mind the thousands of other riders that love them, and have put tens of thousands of miles on them without a single issue. It was adventure bike of the year with at least one motorcycle magazine, and has taken the market by storm. Deemed 'highly successful' by just about everybody in the business.

The closest bike to it on the market is the F800 BMW and it kicks the crap out of it easily. Often said to be one of the nicest riding motorcycles on the planet.

But that's okay, make your decision based on mr. Cory1848.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #20067
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I hate to be a negative-nellie and sound like an asshat (which I probly am so my apologies in advance), but sheesh, we got one guy on a internet forum that futzed around with his bike for a year and should have just sold it and moved on and that's enough to stop you from buying one? Whatevs.

Never mind the thousands of other riders that love them, and have put tens of thousands of miles on them without a single issue. It was adventure bike of the year with at least one motorcycle magazine, and has taken the market by storm. Deemed 'highly successful' by just about everybody in the business.

The closest bike to it on the market is the F800 BMW and it kicks the crap out of it easily. Often said to be one of the nicest riding motorcycles on the planet.

But that's okay, make your decision based on mr. Cory1848.
Not making a decision - just digesting it all. I know there are plenty of owners who rave about their 800s. I would not buy a new BMW either. Only
thing that gives me pause is that I can usually find a solution to repairs to my airhead although I'm not an expert wrencher. I plan on riding an 800 this Saturday, too. Glad you are enjoying yours.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #20068
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Well, I just ordered an 800 Roadie from an out-of-state dealer since we have none in this State. I'm hoping I get a good one and won't need any trips back to the Dealer anytime in the near future; like hopefully ever.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #20069
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Not making a decision - just digesting it all. I know there are plenty of owners who rave about their 800s. I would not buy a new BMW either. Only
thing that gives me pause is that I can usually find a solution to repairs to my airhead although I'm not an expert wrencher. I plan on riding an 800 this Saturday, too. Glad you are enjoying yours.
Of course, it could be said, ride a Triumph (or Japanese brand) and you won't have repairs to do
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #20070
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXfile View Post
Well, I just ordered an 800 Roadie from an out-of-state dealer since we have none in this State. I'm hoping I get a good one and won't need any trips back to the Dealer anytime in the near future; like hopefully ever.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
There really is no triumph dealer in all of AL?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote