Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #20071
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXfile View Post
Well, I just ordered an 800 Roadie from an out-of-state dealer since we have none in this State. I'm hoping I get a good one and won't need any trips back to the Dealer anytime in the near future; like hopefully ever.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Don't worry, mines never been back to a dealer in 2 years and 30,000kms. One inmate said to ask about recalls being done, I thought they weren't allowed to sell a bike until all outstanding recalls were done.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #20072
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
There are a couple of TSBs, but nothing major (turn signals, for example). If it's a '14, it probably doesn't even apply. The dealer should have all the TSBs done and the latest ECU map flashed. Otherwise, pretty bulletproof.

(And yes, the blue is the fastest...)
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #20073
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
The Tiger is now 7 months old and shows 11,000+ miles. I ditched the OEM Scorpions for my preferred Conti TrailAttacks early on. I left the TrailAttacks w/5000 miles on them in Tucson AZ in favor of TKC80's front and rear for the excursion into Mexico's Copper Canyon. Besides tires, oil, chain maintenance and cleaning the stepper motor once it has been trouble free all the way.
From my home to AZ to Mexico and back was 5300 or so miles. Not even a loose screw!
The Tiger seen below with four of the seven GS1200s I rode with. Not one snarky comment from any of the GS riders. When I took this photo six days into the Copper canyon portion of the trip it hit me as to what an advantage I had over the bulkier GSs. My hats off to the BMW guys though. I would not have been riding where I did without their support.

Climbing out of the Barranca de Rio Batopilas, a 7000 ft climb

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #20074
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 925
So I've finished the break-in period and discovered that my XC has a knack for finding narrow, twisty, & fun WV back roads.
A forecast rainy weekend will provide the opportunity to tinker a bit and I'd like to know if anyone has mounted a Scot-oiler, and if so, where did you connect the vacuum line?
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #20075
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 671
I stopped by the Triumph dealer in Albuquerque a couple of days ago to swap out the tires on my Scrambler. While I was waiting, I realized it was the perfect time to take a test ride. Wanted to test out the Explorer, but they didn't have any available to demo. Sold the last one a day or two prior. Instead they let me take out a 800XC, the same Matte Khaki as my Scrambler. I think the Scrambler wears it better though.

Anyways, after I signed the release and they handed me the keys, I hopped on, and took a little tour of the city. Maybe I'm used to my fully loaded up Scrambler, but the Tiger felt surprisingly light and nimble for a relatively big bike. Felt comfy for my 6'4" frame too. All in all, I really liked it, (except for the sound: kinda reminded me of a circular saw,) and a small part of me wished I was doing my cross country on it instead of the Scrambler. Would probably make the luggage situation easier.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #20076
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
The sound of the Tiger 800 is what sold me. My neighbor came by to check out my new 800 Roadie and was impressed how smooth it was.
He rides a Buell thou..
Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #20077
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Hyperpro info

blacktiger

At the time of my internet search the Hyperpro was a bargain compared to the others out there. Still a chunk of change though.

On my sales order:
It is a Hyperpro 460 Emulsion Shock $619.00
15% Online Order Discount -$ 92.85
Hydraulic Pre Load Adjuster $269.00
15% Online Order Discount $ 40.35
Shipping & Handling – Domestic $ 30.00

Total $784.80

The compression and rebound damping are both completely adjustable with high and low speed adjustments for compression damping.
Allen wrench compression adjustment on top and the gold dial on the bottom for rebound adjustment.
We use a rising-rate full progressively wound spring for better absorption of small bumps and pavement "chop" while still offering good control on bigger bumps or for higher rates of speed.

cory1848

Progressive Spring.

The shock did smooth out the ride on my initial test run. Now I need to start tweaking the adjustments.

Crab bait

Thankfully I had the standard 800 (no shock reservoir). I don’t know how you got the reservoir out, I could just barely fit the adjustment knob through that hole!
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #20078
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
I stopped by the Triumph dealer in Albuquerque a couple of days ago to swap out the tires on my Scrambler. While I was waiting, I realized it was the perfect time to take a test ride. Wanted to test out the Explorer, but they didn't have any available to demo. Sold the last one a day or two prior. Instead they let me take out a 800XC, the same Matte Khaki as my Scrambler. I think the Scrambler wears it better though.

Anyways, after I signed the release and they handed me the keys, I hopped on, and took a little tour of the city. Maybe I'm used to my fully loaded up Scrambler, but the Tiger felt surprisingly light and nimble for a relatively big bike. Felt comfy for my 6'4" frame too. All in all, I really liked it, (except for the sound: kinda reminded me of a circular saw,) and a small part of me wished I was doing my cross country on it instead of the Scrambler. Would probably make the luggage situation easier.
You mention that you may be facing challenges on luggage on the Scrambler. Happy Trail has a rack for the Scrambler now, so you could mount large aluminum panniers.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #20079
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
You mention that you may be facing challenges on luggage on the Scrambler. Happy Trail has a rack for the Scrambler now, so you could mount large aluminum panniers.

Interesting. But I've got a Metal Mule rack and a Kreiga Overlander system that I'm pretty happy with. It was just hard and expensive to find a setup that worked, and now it's just interesting finding ways of strapping everything else to the seat.

I was just saying that it might've been easier on a bike meant more for touring than the Scrambler.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #20080
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,289
Quote:
Interesting. But I've got a Metal Mule rack and a Kreiga Overlander system that I'm pretty happy with. It was just hard and expensive to find a setup that worked, and now it's just interesting finding ways of strapping everything else to the seat.

I was just saying that it might've been easier on a bike meant more for touring than the Scrambler.
I saw a similar set-up at the Triumph dealer (staff bike). Metal Mule pannier rails, Tiger 1050 handguards, givi screen with MRA spoiler, gel seat + bead cover.

The owner was planning some long-distance touring.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #20081
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I saw a similar set-up at the Triumph dealer (staff bike). Metal Mule pannier rails, Tiger 1050 handguards, givi screen with MRA spoiler, gel seat + bead cover.

The owner was planning some long-distance touring.

Nice. I have the 1050's hand guards and a national cycle deflector screen, but both of those are in a storage unit due to a move that never happened. I do have an air hawk seat though. And except for some time at 70mph with a 20mph direct crosswind, I've been comfortable enough for the past 3700 miles across the US.

How adjustable is the screen on the Tiger? When I took the demo out onto the interstate, I felt a lot of buffeting and think it's from the screen. Though there's not much you can tell from a 15-20 minute ride on an unfamiliar bike.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #20082
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Nice. I have the 1050's hand guards and a national cycle deflector screen, but both of those are in a storage unit due to a move that never happened. I do have an air hawk seat though. And except for some time at 70mph with a 20mph direct crosswind, I've been comfortable enough for the past 3700 miles across the US.

How adjustable is the screen on the Tiger? When I took the demo out onto the interstate, I felt a lot of buffeting and think it's from the screen. Though there's not much you can tell from a 15-20 minute ride on an unfamiliar bike.
Have a browse through here...

Tiger Windshield thread

should answer your questions, although shields are a very personal thing, what works for one inmate even though your height, reach etc. may drive you nuts.

I tried the Triumph High Adjustable screen, mainly for wind noise as I rarely get buffeting but it was no better than the stocker so I settled on a CalSci medium which was way better, but still crap compared to my Scrambler. I love naked bikes and I never have problems with buffeting or wind noise on them.

Tiger is actually best with no shield at all but looks sh!t, a few riders have just put a Speed Triple fly screen on which works well.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #20083
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
I have the OE Touring Screen and have practically no buffeting. But then I am 5'9"/175cm and found exactly the same on an 1150GS with one of the cheapest screens around (ermax).

It's noisy but I wear a Shoei XR1100 and that has lots of venting, so I think it's the helmet.

There are lots of screens available across a wide price range; for a sporty/naked look I think powerbronze do one for £60 here in the UK. At the other end there are sports screens for £320..
IBA #40578

Old 04-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #20084
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Tiger is actually best with no shield at all but looks sh!t, a few riders have just put a Speed Triple fly screen on which works well.
Any pics? I was told that wouldn't fit.
IBA #40578

Old 04-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #20085
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Nice. I have the 1050's hand guards and a national cycle deflector screen, but both of those are in a storage unit due to a move that never happened. I do have an air hawk seat though. And except for some time at 70mph with a 20mph direct crosswind, I've been comfortable enough for the past 3700 miles across the US..

IBA #40578