Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #20596
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,453
Stock exhaust, stock tune...get almost 50 at 75-78 hiway. No guessing for offroading.

So my regular Saturday when we're not traveling by bike or RV is Cars & Coffee in Irvine at 7am and walk the show, some awfully cool stuff to see that one could drive, even the new Toyota FT1 was there last week. By 8 to 8:30 everyone is pulling out so then I ride down to Laguna Beach and up PCH to Newport and home - it's about an hour ride. Today up PCH in Corona Del Mar I cut a few cars at one of the lights to another bike and it's a Tiger XC. Whoa. Then I realize its DOXBIKE but I dont' think he realizes who I am. He stopped said he was riding to Malibu to ride the canyons and wanted to know how long I had my bike.

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #20597
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If anyone has a spare passenger seat I am interested in buying it.
PM BajaDad. He replaced his w/ a fuel tank, so he might still have the seat.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #20598
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
No, I didn't reaize it was you. I saw the hint of a mustache, so that threw me. Besides, your bike was obscenely clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Stock exhaust, stock tune...get almost 50 at 75-78 hiway. No guessing for offroading.

So my regular Saturday when we're not traveling by bike or RV is Cars & Coffee in Irvine at 7am and walk the show, some awfully cool stuff to see that one could drive, even the new Toyota FT1 was there last week. By 8 to 8:30 everyone is pulling out so then I ride down to Laguna Beach and up PCH to Newport and home - it's about an hour ride. Today up PCH in Corona Del Mar I cut a few cars at one of the lights to another bike and it's a Tiger XC. Whoa. Then I realize its DOXBIKE but I dont' think he realizes who I am. He stopped said he was riding to Malibu to ride the canyons and wanted to know how long I had my bike.

doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #20599
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
And Rob, resetting the adaptions is the wrong thing to do. That feature is there to allow the ECU to learn and adapt to things like altitude.
So, letting my Tiger idle for 12 minutes is the wrong thing to do? I live at sea level.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #20600
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
So, letting my Tiger idle for 12 minutes is the wrong thing to do? I live at sea level.
I think it's only necessary if your bike is running poorly after some change (physical or atmospheric) and doesn't seem to be improving. Normally the adaptation happens by simply riding.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #20601
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
No, I didn't reaize it was you. I saw the hint of a mustache, so that threw me. Besides, your bike was obscenely clean!
Ha...we should'a stopped for coffee!

Hope your ride was a good one!

Oh, and last trip was 1500 miles with a lot of dirt and the bike was obscenely dirty, so it got a full detail.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #20602
Bogus Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Guys, I switched from the arrow tune back to the standard tune a few days ago. I'm using the Leo can always have the quite core installed. All I can say is "I should have done this a long time ago". Immediately after installing the newest standard XC ABS tune, I rode hard. I revved out the gears & rode 80+ mph for over 2hrs. This exact type of riding would get me 28 mpg average w/the old arrow tune. This tank of gas I got just over 42 mpg.
I get similar mileage, Leo w/ standard tune, 42-45mpg @ 75-85mph and 50-55mpg @ 65mph.

But, does anyone have a quiet insert (52mm) for the Leo can they'd be willing to sell? If so, PM me. Leo parts seem really hard to find these days. I bought a used Tiger with Leo exhaust, it's a bid too loud for me without the insert.
Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #20603
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Well last Tuesday I did not change out the rear tire. I was lucky enough to get an AltRider engine bar in stock and get it into the shop on no notice the day before Dust 2 Dawson so had them mount the rear TKC while there. It looked like a royal pain in the ASS with the tech doing, but showed me a little trick. I got home and switched back to the Scorpions yesterday. An hour and a half for both wheels including eating lunch. Tires broke from the bead easily, rear not as easy as front. Used a 2x4 to get the wheel in place while holding spacers in place and wheel assembly went right in. Maybe 5 minutes of work.

Dust 2 Dawson 2014 was renamed Slime 2 Dawson. Very glad to have the TKC 80s. 110 miles of rain and nasty mud and calcium chloride. Had to wash the bike at both ends of TOW HWY. The Poker Run was bone dry though and got to wring out the Tiger. The KLR is now up for sale!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #20604
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 405
That Rally sounds like a lot of fun, I'll try and organise things better next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Well last Tuesday I did not change out the rear tire. I was lucky enough to get an AltRider engine bar in stock and get it into the shop on no notice the day before Dust 2 Dawson so had them mount the rear TKC while there. It looked like a royal pain in the ASS with the tech doing, but showed me a little trick. I got home and switched back to the Scorpions yesterday. An hour and a half for both wheels including eating lunch. Tires broke from the bead easily, rear not as easy as front. Used a 2x4 to get the wheel in place while holding spacers in place and wheel assembly went right in. Maybe 5 minutes of work.

Dust 2 Dawson 2014 was renamed Slime 2 Dawson. Very glad to have the TKC 80s. 110 miles of rain and nasty mud and calcium chloride. Had to wash the bike at both ends of TOW HWY. The Poker Run was bone dry though and got to wring out the Tiger. The KLR is now up for sale!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #20605
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 449
XC tubeless rear wheel

Three weeks and several hundred miles ago I converted the real wheel on my 2012 800XC to tubless. Speeds in excess of 100 mph and no leaks!
Sorry I did not take pictures of the process. I used the method promoted by robm-951 on Supermotojunkie.com. Link-see post #327.

Here is a couple of his pics:

I did not use the rim strip as in his photo.

One area that needs attention on the Excel wheel used on the XC is in the weld area of the wheel. It is ground down lower than the rest of the wheel in one area and has a bump in another. I filled the low area with J-B weld and then filed it and the weld bump down even with the rest of the bead area.

Ride Safe, Ride Often

FatBob screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 10:11 PM
FatBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #20606
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,586
Hmmmm

I've always thought there should be some industrial tape that would do the job quickly and easily. The 3M 4412N looks like the right stuff, above.

Considering it's price, and me being a cheapskate, I wonder if a self-fusing silicone tape would work.

The specs seem like it would be perfect for tubeless conversion.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #20607
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Hmmmm

I've always thought there should be some industrial tape that would do the job quickly and easily. The 3M 4412N looks like the right stuff, above.

Considering it's price, and me being a cheapskate, I wonder if a self-fusing silicone tape would work.

The specs seem like it would be perfect for tubeless conversion.
The short answer is: nope. It only fuses to itself, not the rim.

After reading most of that thread, many people have tried many things, and the 3M 4412 is the only thing that's reliable, and works every time the first time.
btao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #20608
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
FatBob, what size did you need for the XC Excel rims, the 3"? Did you have to trim the front? Have any left over I can buy off ya?

-btao
btao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #20609
FatBob
The name says it all

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
FatBob, what size did you need for the XC Excel rims, the 3"? Did you have to trim the front? Have any left over I can buy off ya?

-btao
I used the 2" width. The valley in the XC wheel is clolser to 2 1/2" wide though(much wider than the wheel in the pic), next time I change tires I think I will buy 3" wide tape and trim it to 2.5"

I did not do the front wheel, it does not have the safety bead to support tubeless tires. Besides it is much easier to field repair than the rear. On the next tire change I think I will seal the front but still run a tube. That should make a puncture flat bleed air out much more slowly giving more time to shut down.

BTW I installed two new Mitas E07's so it will be a while before I change anything.

I am carrying a spare 17" tube with me "just in case".

Ride Safe, Ride Often
FatBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #20610
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,574
Little beak meets bigger beak.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote