Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #2266
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Okay, I think the two mystery indicator lights are the alarm/immobilizer (the ringing bell) and a water temperature warning light (the one immediately above the 2).

Nice to see that there are apparently mileage functions too. It'll be interesting to see how accurate they are.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #2267
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I must say this bike is growing on me. Might have to take one for a test ride when I next get the chance.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #2268
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
I'd take the Tenere 660........IF they sold the bloody thing in the US. This should be broken down further into "ownership cost and parts replacement"! I think it would be something like;
KLR 650/Tenere 660
800XC
F800GS
Just say'in!
The 660 Tenere' is pretty expensive in Europe. I'd bet it would not be cheap if brought into the USA. Probably $8 to $9000 USD as a guess. A new KLR can be had for about $5200 new.

Also, the 660 is no light weight single dirt bike ... not even close to a KTM or even the Honda XR-L or DR650. This mainly due to the very old (about 15 years) design motor. Good reliable motor for sure, but a very heavy lump by all accounts. MUZ Baghira used them for a while, and a few Yamaha Quads. Europe got several models with the same motor ... all off- shoots of the Tenere' ... all F.I.

The 660 Tenere's modern chassis and suspension are clearly better than most of the competition out there but for the money ... my DR650 Suzuki beats them all. I've got an Ohlins rear shock and a revalved front fork. The bike weighs about 385 lbs. WET. (5 gallon IMS tank). Very low initial buy in (under $4000 used) and very low maintenance costs. (mostly tires, oil and fuel) Yes, it looks ugly and dated ... but it just flat works ... everywhere.

The wide array of farkles available for the Tenere' 660 is impressive for such a new bike. Tourtech and other overpriced suppliers already have lots of doo-dads for well healed 660 owners. But has anyone priced any of these items? BMW territory from what I've seen.
Check out posts by Jennie Mo and her bike Piglet. (J-mo & Piglet) (660 Tenere') She has ridden it all over, including across the US and even raced the Dakar. Her bike was for sale a while back.

I'd love to see Yamaha bring the 660 into the USA ... but lets not have any illusions.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #2269
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
It is really obscene what touratech charge for some of their stuff isn't it!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #2270
Xrdolittle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Check out posts by Jennie Mo and her bike Piglet. (J-mo & Piglet) (660 Tenere') She has ridden it all over, including across the US and even raced the Dakar. Her bike was for sale a while back.
Yikes... I wouldn't want to buy a bike that's done the Dakar. That race is pretty abusive to a bike.
Xrdolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #2271
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrdolittle
Yikes... I wouldn't want to buy a bike that's done the Dakar. That race is pretty abusive to a bike.
Not to mention rider

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #2272
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
The 660 Tenere' is pretty expensive in Europe. I'd bet it would not be cheap if brought into the USA. Probably $8 to $9000 USD as a guess. A new KLR can be had for about $5200 new.

Also, the 660 is no light weight single dirt bike ... not even close to a KTM or even the Honda XR-L or DR650. This mainly due to the very old (about 15 years) design motor. Good reliable motor for sure, but a very heavy lump by all accounts. MUZ Baghira used them for a while, and a few Yamaha Quads. Europe got several models with the same motor ... all off- shoots of the Tenere' ... all F.I.

The 660 Tenere's modern chassis and suspension are clearly better than most of the competition out there but for the money ... my DR650 Suzuki beats them all. I've got an Ohlins rear shock and a revalved front fork. The bike weighs about 385 lbs. WET. (5 gallon IMS tank). Very low initial buy in (under $4000 used) and very low maintenance costs. (mostly tires, oil and fuel) Yes, it looks ugly and dated ... but it just flat works ... everywhere.

The wide array of farkles available for the Tenere' 660 is impressive for such a new bike. Tourtech and other overpriced suppliers already have lots of doo-dads for well healed 660 owners. But has anyone priced any of these items? BMW territory from what I've seen.

I'd love to see Yamaha bring the 660 into the USA ... but lets not have any illusions.
Very interesting, did not know that about the 660.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #2273
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,360
I am not sure why, but here, in Europe Tenere 660 is absolutely not too expensive. You need to compare real prices. Tenere is between 8000 and 8500 Euro including VAT "usual" price. However, I can buy it new for 7900 Euros right now and for 7300 if I drive 50 km further to dealer that offers them from 2009 stock. This is cheap. Not THAT cheap, but cheap. To give you an example - KLX250S costs 4900 Euros here.

Saying that nothing beats prices of 2nd hand DR650s :)

Ah, and forgot to say - this price would bear no relation to how Yamaha would price it in US. It never direct conversion.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #2274
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiannis
While I would prefer an analog speedo to match the looks of the headlights, I'm ok with it, at least they included a gear indicator.
I have never been a fan of digital speedo's. I'm old enough to remember when they were first introduced and the response from the motoring public was very underwhelming.

The Daytona 675 comes with a gear indicator. This was the first bike I had with this device and to honest I couldn't figure out what the hoopla was about. If you're racing sure, but why do I need it for everyday riding and why do people get so hung up on it?

Besides that, the instrument cluster looks good.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #2275
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWITCHER
I have never been a fan of digital speedo's. I'm old enough to remember when they were first introduced and the response from the motoring public was very underwhelming.
Indeed. Is it a cost saving thing? Space saving on cluster? The F800GS has traditional speedo and rpm guage but also has computer info on a tight cluster.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #2276
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Indeed. Is it a cost saving thing? Space saving on cluster? The F800GS has traditional speedo and rpm guage but also has computer info on a tight cluster.
It's certainly a lot cheaper to produce. And there are not enough people to complain about it. I like the analog speedo of the R1200GS I have but the "computer display" must have been designed by a complete user interface moron who has never ever ridden a motorcycle day to day before. The waste of space is ridiculous, the arrangement is pretty dumb and the information that is always available is just not enough.

Maybe it does change you working for a company that is about the craziest in the world with their UI / industrial design ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #2277
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWITCHER

The Daytona 675 comes with a gear indicator. This was the first bike I had with this device and to honest I couldn't figure out what the hoopla was about. If you're racing sure, but why do I need it for everyday riding and why do people get so hung up on it?

Besides that, the instrument cluster looks good.
Agree. BUT I must say that the [OD] display ion the Strom is usefull.

It is just telling you that "that is it, no more gears", so I don't go hunting for seventh gear. While the Strom DL1K is pretty tall geared in sixth so not to be a big issue, on smaller bikes I have owned I was constantly trying to get Seventh gear, so I do find that usefull, although definatley low on the list of things to give a toss about.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #2278
speedysheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Agree. BUT I must say that the [OD] display ion the Strom is usefull.

It is just telling you that "that is it, no more gears", so I don't go hunting for seventh gear. While the Strom DL1K is pretty tall geared in sixth so not to be a big issue, on smaller bikes I have owned I was constantly trying to get Seventh gear, so I do find that usefull, although definatley low on the list of things to give a toss about.

Cheers
Graham
Don't you know what gear you're in by what RPM the engine's turning? One glance at the tach will tell you if you're in top gear w/ or w/o the gear indicator.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #2279
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,295
Sales expectations; Triumph say 7500, on a par with the Speed Triple.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #2280
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysheep
Don't you know what gear you're in by what RPM the engine's turning? One glance at the tach will tell you if you're in top gear w/ or w/o the gear indicator.

Yeah, but when I am blasting away in the twisties I tend to be looking at the road. The [OD] flashes up in the peripheral vision so it's obvious.

I must spend more time looking at the speedo and tacho and less time looking at the road.

That's what the police in this country are trying to teach us.

Bad habit of mine.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote