Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #3031
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Nice, looks like it would handle anything I'd throw at it, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I didn't get 100% ... Chilean Spanish is tough for me, but I got a few bits and pieces. Basically the guy was gushing over the bike ... felt it rode lighter than its true weight. Felt even experts would be happy ... but the bike was so easy to ride that even novices would get along fine. He liked the engine and handling.

Like most first time reviews ... lots of praise, not much critic. Still, can't deny the guy was pleased with the bikes performance, his enthusiasm was obvious in any language.
Big thumbs up, best off road review and footage I've seen so far.
+1 and agreed !!!!!!!

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #3032
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,781
I have $14K set aside and ready to spend for a new motorcycle. The Tiger 800XC is tops on the list at the moment.

In late February or early March I'll get some hands on time. After that I'll know if I've found what I want or need to keep shopping.

It looks good, but I've learned that looks do not translate into a bike that fits.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #3033
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Good video -- and note the bike was shod with Battlewings. If it did that well with street tires, imagine how it would do with knobbies!

Could any Spanish speakers provide a translation of the commentary? All I could gather from it was that he liked it.

--mark
I can translate exactly what he says as I'm on disc 2 of learn Spanish the easy way.....

He says he is going to ditch his wife and all his goats as he is in love with this bike.

I'd do the same but unfortunately I have no hair.

Bike looks suitable for dwarves too....note the dismount!

I reckon I have to have one.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #3034
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

I don't speak Spanish so anybody have an idea of what he is saying at the end - he seems like the bike....

I missed some words with his accent, but he says basically "truthfully, I enjoyed this bike in the most amazing manner, I highly recommend it for a rider that doesn't want a heavy bike (or something like that), it goes well on road, it goes well off road and congratulations to the engineers at Triumph, etc, etc".

Also, before that, he says essentially "Really, something like a pleasure to be able to ride this bike, it is going to do well especially with riders who aren't professional, isn't experienced, but want to go out and ride with safety, security and contentment, on both asphalt and dirt. With this bike, they'll do really, but really well"

John Ashman screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 05:24 PM
John Ashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #3035
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Having recorded many hours of helmet cam video and wanting exactly the same as you, I can guess and say that the wind noise ruins the sound track and you end up just throwing some music over it to drown out the wind noise. I've been playing with this for awhile and haven't come up with a good fool proof system yet.
You have discovered what most people discover when they start making their own videos.

"Audio doesn't matter until you notice it and its usually when its bad." (Audio guys love this!) 5% of the content - 95% of the problems...

Anyway, the only way to fix the problem is to stop the wind rushing over the mic. A foam type wind sock helps a lot and is pretty standard. Once a foam sock is overwhelmed, you need a better one, this usually means a big one commonly known as a "dead cat" due to their shaggy, fluffy construction.

If you don't want to go that far there are a bunch of short cut type remedies but they will always be a compromise and fall short somewhere.

You might also notice that your audio of the bike is lacking a lot of the bottom end frequencies and the engine note in particular, sounds high pitched or "whiny." Cheap microphones are the culprit here.

Anyway, I have heard a whisper that a Tiger 800 will be at my dealer soon. I can feel a test ride coming on.

(Closely followed by an argument with my partner as to why I need yet another bike. I still don't understand the question...)
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #3036
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Why oh why do people who do these kinds of vids insist on laying a techno soundtrack over the video - WHY ? I want to hear the motor NOT the goddamn music..
Beacouse they are sick of laying down death metal and Bon Jovi?

And that whine that the Triumphs make is just as annoying. Nice Motor with an annoying little whine.

I ride bikes to get away from the whining. Is there a De-Whine device you can get for these things

Cheers
Graham

Whining about the Whine.
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #3037
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Is there a De-Whine device you can get for these things

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #3038
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:

And that whine that the Triumphs make is just as annoying. Nice Motor with an annoying little whine.

I ride bikes to get away from the whining. Is there a De-Whine device you can get for these things

Cheers
Graham

Whining about the Whine.
Sounds just like my Daytona at low revs. Open mine (and I can only suspect, it) up, and boy it sounds sweet.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #3039
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post

But then you miss out in the good stuff as well.

Don't worry I can prolly cope
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #3040
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
MotoTematicos - XC playing around off road ... gravel, water, sand, holes, jumps ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAZfy0qmBY
That vid should be subtitled "How many times can I ride around the same dam without getting dizzy?"
The guy is obviously having a lot of fun in the same way we used to have fun riding around in circles as kids but I don't think it adds much to the pool of knowledge about the bike. Anybody can look okay riding familiar ground repeatedly. I'd rather see somebody riding a track and coming around a corner and handling an unexpected obstacle be it a pile of rocks or a descent or ascent or a water crossing. Those sort of real world snap decision situations are when you find out just how good the power delivery or handling or braking of a bike are.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #3041
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
I missed some words with his accent, but he says basically "truthfully, I enjoyed this bike in the most amazing manner, I highly recommend it for a rider that doesn't want a heavy bike (or something like that), it goes well on road, it goes well off road and congratulations to the engineers at Triumph, etc, etc".

Also, before that, he says essentially "Really, something like a pleasure to be able to ride this bike, it is going to do well especially with riders who aren't professional, isn't experienced, but want to go out and ride with safety, security and contentment, on both asphalt and dirt. With this bike, they'll do really, but really well"
Thanks John
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #3042
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:

Cheers
Graham

Whining about the Whine.
Nothing wrong with the sound of that engine. If it bothers you that much, maybe a Triumph triple is not for you - they all do it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #3043
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Nothing wrong with the sound of that engine. If it bothers you that much, maybe a Triumph triple is not for you - they all do it.
Again, the close voice mics these guys use will NOT pick up the low notes coming from the exhaust and will over emphasize the valve train noise. It won't sound like that in real life. Nor will craaaaaappy computer speakers play it if the mic picked it up.

These 'manly' adventurers just love to complain about nothing.
John Ashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #3044
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
Again, the close voice mics these guys use will NOT pick up the low notes coming from the exhaust and will over emphasize the valve train noise. It won't sound like that in real life. Nor will craaaaaappy computer speakers play it if the mic picked it up.

These 'manly' adventurers just love to complain about nothing.
Correct. I still maintain a triple (not just Triumph - the Benelli's etc. also do it) with a pipe is the best sounding engine out there. YMMV and all that....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #3045
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,917
Quote:

Cheers
Graham

Whining about the Whine.
Wow, the whine is one of the things I really like about the bike.
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote