User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #3031
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Sooo...

I guess this thread has finally lost its way then...?
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #3032
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWITCHER View Post
Sooo...

I guess this thread has finally lost its way then...?
Until people start riding these bike... probably...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #3033
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Of course if you can't think of anything else just start whining about someone's use of language, how very mature, not everybody's english and understanding of it is as perfect as yours....there are those in this world that do not use it daily.
If I was making a joke in another language and it fell a little flat, I'd want to know.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #3034
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
wow...

just caught up on this thread after the christmas break and what a lot of informed, on topic, useful, welcoming and generally pleasant discussions... hang on, no, that's not what i meant to say...

umm...

what a lot of crap.... yep that's better...

i'm unsubscribing from this until people start recieving their bikes and, hopefully, start actually talking about the bike instead of how fast they can type and how someone with less than 1000 posts can't possibly know anything..

gone..
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #3035
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
wow...

just caught up on this thread after the christmas break and what a lot of informed, on topic, useful, welcoming and generally pleasant discussions... hang on, no, that's not what i meant to say...

umm...

what a lot of crap.... yep that's better...

i'm unsubscribing from this until people start recieving their bikes and, hopefully, start actually talking about the bike instead of how fast they can type and how someone with less than 1000 posts can't possibly know anything..

gone..
Here here.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #3036
bigfish5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
All you need is 2 images of similar size....one 800gs one 800xc and flick between the two....it's an easy choice

im 6;3' and 265 so i might just lean toward the beefier suspension to start. I am sure i will have to get a stronger rear shock either way though. And i meant use this sight to choose between the f800 and the 800xc.
bigfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #3037
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,499
If you configure the XC for a center stand, does that remove the side stand?

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #3038
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
People actually have started riding these bikes over in Europe (many dealers have had demo bikes for a few weeks now), but oddly enough none of them have posted about their demo rides here. They all seem to be posting over on the Tiger 800 site instead where people are less likely to be mean to them.

For what it's worth, the demo ride reviews seem to be matching up with what the journalists were saying...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #3039
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
People actually have started riding these bikes over in Europe (many dealers have had demo bikes for a few weeks now), but oddly enough none of them have posted about their demo rides here. They all seem to be posting over on the Tiger 800 site instead where people are less likely to be mean to them.
Link?
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #3040
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm guessing you were sick that day in 4th grade...
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #3041
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 923
This thread has.....

.....jumped the shark.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #3042
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Link?
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?action=forum
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #3043
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
Unfortunately 'Tiger800.co.uk' seems to be offline at the moment. I found this review from a rider not a journo on a mainy Brit populated ADV bike site. It's probably everything you expect to hear, but at least it's something...

"Is it a Beemer beater?

Spent the morning on an XC test drive and if I had never ridden a GS I would probably buy one, but it does feel like a road bike with a 21 inch front wheel.

As we know the GS pulls from very low revs but the XC coughs a bit under 3000 as the engine “spools up” but thereafter it’s electric. 60mph in 1st and almost a ton in 3rd - 10,000 red line. There is little difference in weight but the GS feels more “planted”. The Triumph tank is in the conventional place so maybe the lower centre of gravity effect on the GS actually works! The roads were damp and greasy so a dry day might see the XC edge it as it is more responsive to bar input than the GS. The handlebars are narrower and lower and for me at 6ft too low when standing up. Brake lever is fine but the gear lever is too high but looks like it can be adjusted down although the linkage up to the gearbox looks very flimsy and exposed to an off as is the radiator hose.

The standard sump “guard” like the GS is as useful as a chocolate teapot. I have seen pictures of the factory upgrade but it doesn’t look like there is enough protection for the oil filter and that radiator hose although crash bars should solve the latter. The bottom of the rear suspension linkage is in line with the bottom of the sump ie a bit close to the deck and unless the upgraded sump guard comes back far enough to protect it they will be having the same problem as the early boxer twins with the linkage getting “rocked”. The whole rear subframe is welded on, not bolted like the GS, and although the welds look substantial we won’t know how strong this is until someone takes it to Mongolia and throows it down a lot! There is a peculiar “gold” after thought held onto the frame with circlips (chrome plated admittedly!) which turns out to be the oil reservoir for the rear shock.(see photos)

The seat is adjustable and the lower setting allows much better foot contact with the ground than the standard GS ride height. The seat is very comfortable (BMW please note) but the pegs are higher and slightly more set back so the overall riding position is not as good as the GS for me at any rate. The standard screen is marginally larger than the standard GS and does a very good job – I got it up to 115mph and it was the cold not the wind blast that made me back off. The Triumph “barkbusters” are very nasty bendy plastic items that won’t give you much protection in an off. The grab handles for the pillion are truly “heroic”! Front brakes didn’t seem to dive as much as the GS but given the greasy road and no ABS on the demo bike I wasn’t exactly yanking them on. The back brake however locked up at the slightest provocation.

It comes with Bridgestone Battlewanks so I didn’t venture into the New Forest trails which are currently a heady combination of icy sand and mud but looking at the videos on you tube it will do the biz off road.

In summary – stick the XC engine in the GS – although on reflection do you need a 10,000rpm screamer when you are “doing” Mongolia?! It is a great bike; however the BMW has been there and done it and I wouldn’t buy a Triumph until it has been "crash" tested it!(Have rated it a 5 as I just dont know)

PS If you do want one I have an option on an ABS version in black with an estimated delivery date of June!!! Sans ABS you might get one a little earlier unless you have already made a small deposit! In the show rooms mid January."
link to full review and ratings(..?)
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/co...er-800-xc.html

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #3044
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
It works fine for me.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #3045
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote