Would really rock with some blink tags.
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #3182
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Neat looking bike for 2011, but the website is possibly the worst EVER!

http://www.triumphadventure.com/

Seriously, animations and music? It's more like a cheesy video game than a professional looking website.

That was the teaser site. If you want "professional," go to Triumph's regular website.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #3183
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,483
So I had the chance to sit on and check out the 800 and 800 XC at the New York motorcycle show yesterday.

I like. I think the 800 is for me. I know it's only 40 lbs or so lighter than the 1050 but it felt significantly lighter. The 800 XC seemed to have a slightly higher seat height than my 1050 meaning that I could tippy-toe it on both sides. The 800 was a great height - I could comfortably flat-foot it with both feet. I don't know if the seats were in their low or high settings.

Did anyone else notice that Triumph mounted the regulator/rectifier on the 800s directly behind the radiator fan? Guess they wanted to make sure it had plenty of cooling airflow.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #3184
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
So I had the chance to sit on and check out the 800 and 800 XC at the New York motorcycle show yesterday.

I like. I think the 800 is for me. I know it's only 40 lbs or so lighter than the 1050 but it felt significantly lighter. The 800 XC seemed to have a slightly higher seat height than my 1050 meaning that I could tippy-toe it on both sides. The 800 was a great height - I could comfortably flat-foot it with both feet. I don't know if the seats were in their low or high settings.

Did anyone else notice that Triumph mounted the regulator/rectifier on the 800s directly behind the radiator fan? Guess they wanted to make sure it had plenty of cooling airflow.
Yup saw that when I had my 1st look. Still a shunt type though. The down side is the long cable runs from alternator to R/R and R/R to battery.
Didn't put me off though. My Venom Yellow is arriving the end of February
KildareMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #3185
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
I'm going to get so jealous when you folks start posting pics of your new bikes
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #3186
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think Triumph corporate are letting some young and creative web guys do their thing, without much supervision from 50 year old know nothing dead wood Ad Man types.

Sure, its hard edged ... but quite hip I thought. Like I said, no accounting for taste. I think the last thing Triumph want are "professional". What the fuck? Are they IBM? Or Harley? They're selling motorcycles mate ... and who do you think their buyers will be?
Same question to you. Who is, in your mind, the demographic that Triumph is aiming for with the Tiger 800?
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #3187
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Talking :y0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Same question to you. Who is, in your mind, the demographic that Triumph is aiming for with the Tiger 800?
It's me, it's me! I want one!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #3188
Oriondk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Maybe me, too. Still haven't seen one yet. That's why the maybe.

DAVE
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #3189
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
It's me too. Always had a dirt bike, sometimes a street legal dirt bike also, always had a street bike, sometimes a sport touring bike. One of my riding buddies who is my fathers age has had an adventure bike in one form or another for at least twenty years, I always thought why would I want an overweight dirt bike? Now at age 50, having a comfortable bike that you can go anywhere on is appealing. Likewise having hard bags or storage space that stays on the bike. I'm in line for the XC, if it turns out to be as comfortable and capable as I expect it to be, the Concours 14 will probably be up for sale. Can't yet see any reason to sell the Street Triple R or the DR350, but who knows, after I've had the XC for awhile, maybe that will change too. Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #3190
Yuros
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eh? Bit the bullet.

Went down to GP Bikes (Toronto) on Saturday and put a down payment on the Tiger 800 XC ABS Orange.
Had a nice chat with the rep. From what I gathered, there will be very limited number released the first year. GP Bikes are Canada's top dealer and they're only getting 6. I guess Triumph's strategy is trying to build up the demand and desire for these bikes.
I tried to clarify weather the bike will be UK or Thailand built, I was told that all bikes will come with UK VINs meaning final assembly takes place in UK, but bikes bound for Canada will have Thailand made parts.
Can anyone clarify this please?
Warranty is 2-years, unlimited mileage.

To answer the demographics question above:
I'm 30, been riding all kinds of bikes for 12 years. I use the bike for everything from daily commuting to continental tours. As much as I wish it wasn't true, 90% of my riding is on the pavement. But I need that dirt option. When I plan my tips, I always pick side roads and hope for dirt or gravel. I need a bike that is comfortable on long highway rides, yet able to take a detour on a fire-road. At the same time it needs to be a practical daily city machine. VStrom 650 filled that need.. until now.

If anyone cares, here's my reasoning for buying this bike.
I currently ride a Vstrom DL650. Love the bike. Put over 30k on it and it never let me down. Last summer I did a tour of Scandinavia on a Tiger 1050 that I rented in Hamburg. After that three-week "affair" things with me and the VStrom were never quite the same. Yes, triumph has a lot of nice "premium" details over the Wee, but it's that triple engine that sealed the deal for me.

Until this new Tiger came out, BMW 800GS was my going to be my next bike. I saw both at the Toronto bike show. Aesthetically and ergonomically I found very little difference between the two. Price is almost buck for buck. So it was a difficult choice. There aren't many reviews of the Tiger, yet all of them are positive. All materials agree on one thing; the spirit and smoothness of the new Tiger engine outshines BMW twin. So that's it; the engine is what sold me. Everything else is a bonus.

I never bought a new bike...let alone a first year of production new bike. I am a bit worried that they will have some teething problems, I guess thats what the warranty is for. Accessories are very limited, but I hope by April third-party shops have more Tiger-specific farkles.

Now, on to sad business of prepping the Strom for sale

Yuros screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 08:05 AM
Yuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #3191
ThumperGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote Price is almost buck for buck. unquote

how much is the 800 in Toronto, o can't get a price in Nova Scotia yet.

thanks
ThumperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #3192
Yuros
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperGuy View Post
Quote Price is almost buck for buck. unquote

how much is the 800 in Toronto, o can't get a price in Nova Scotia yet.

thanks
ABS is $13,600 including all dealer fees. After HST its just above 15,000.
Yuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #3193
tankara fishing
tierra encantada

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
It's me, it's me! I want one!
56 year old female weighing in... The 800 looks perfect for me!
tankara fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #3194
EDG1911
Banana Cream!

Oddometer: 59
Thumb I want the "Dirty bike"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Smile factor is huge on this clip, not sure what he's saying most of the time but worth a watch. Just some good goofing off for those of us wanting to see anything on the new 800XC

I want the "Dirty bike"
EDG1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #3195
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
I checked out the Tiger 800 at the Long Beach MC show in Dec. I liked what I saw and felt, but honestly, I would have preferred if they had gone for a 675 or 700cc size and made the entire bike just a bit smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

I'm riding a KLR650 now. I just rode a Kawi Versys 650 last weekend and have looked at the WeeStrom. I haven't convinced myself that I really need a 800cc Adventure Bike and I'm sure I don't need the extra heft and price tag. I looked at the Super Tenere at the show also and the size and price set me back a few paces.

That Versys has PLENTY of power for me, but like the WeeStrom, it's missing the Adventure Bike accoutrements I'm looking for. If Kawi made a proper twin cylinder adventure bike by combining the the KLR with the Versys engine and kept the price under $10k, that would get my $$$ vote. If Triumph made a true baby Tiger it would be a strong contender also. It's not entirely the price I'm concerned about, but as much the overall size and bulk. Bulk is bad off-road and the higher the price the less I want to subject it to off-road thrashing.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote