Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #4111
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
The peg/struts aren't structural, so this modification shouldn't be an issue. Does anybody see an issue with this mod...????

I was considering doing the same thing (in the end, though, I don't think I'll bother). Shouldn't be an issue except for people who want to mount certain types of luggage racks -- the Touratech ones, for example, seem to have a strut that clamps to the passenger footpeg hangers.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #4112
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Welcome Calvin, and welcome to the world of tiggers

I find mine to be the best bike I have tried. But of course I only go up to 50mph because of the 21" front, I am sure you found the same which is why you bought one

As you can see there are some friendly folk on here and a lot of useful information too, but sometimes you have to take what you read with a pich of salt!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #4113
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Wally's that use them the way they are intended, well the XC at least.

Crashing at moderate speed is one of the things that happens. Some things survive well, some things don't. It's something you plan not to do but sometimes happens.
That's a fair point Graham. It's true Triumph have designed the XC to go off road from the start. I'll admit the pillion peg loop design caught my attention. Lets hope they've done some testing on this. I'm thinking they have. A bolt on piece would have been better, IMHO, But lets see how strong the current design turns out to be.

Talk of bent subframe's brings up a bike many of us here on this thread know ... the Suzuki DR650. On the big DR650 thread in Thumpers (40,000 posts deep) I can't think of one report of a bent sub frame ... and I'm guessing the DR see's tougher crash duty than the XC will ever see. The DR650 subframe, like the Tiger 800XC is designed for a passenger and luggage ... so it's pretty damn strong. Lets hope the Tiger one is too.

So ... depends how it's made. For sure it's going to be tested ... as you say, falling down off road is part of the experience. Just happens.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #4114
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a fair point Graham. It's true Triumph have designed the XC to go off road from the start. I'll admit the pillion peg loop design caught my attention. Lets hope they've done some testing on this. I'm thinking they have. A bolt on piece would have been better, IMHO, But lets see how strong the current design turns out to be.

Talk of bent subframe's brings up a bike many of us here on this thread know ... the Suzuki DR650. On the big DR650 thread in Thumpers (40,000 posts deep) I can't think of one report of a bent sub frame ... and I'm guessing the DR see's tougher crash duty than the XC will ever see. The DR650 subframe, like the Tiger 800XC is designed for a passenger and luggage ... so it's pretty damn strong. Lets hope the Tiger one is too.

So ... depends how it's made. For sure it's going to be tested ... as you say, falling down off road is part of the experience. Just happens.
I just can't believe people are still worrying about this whole peg thing and complaining they should have been bolted on? Unless you unbolt the footpeg hangers then there's no bloody difference? If the subframe is gonna bend with Triumphs design (welded on), then the subframe is gonna bend with them bolted on. And if you were one of the one's that would unbolt the hangers, then cut the bloody things off and ride.

Personally looking at how thin those hangers are, as many people before me have said. If you wipe out bad enough to bend the subframe because of those hangers then there's going to be a lot more damage than just a bent subframe. Damn I wish it would stop snowing so I could ride.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #4115
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I was considering doing the same thing (in the end, though, I don't think I'll bother). Shouldn't be an issue except for people who want to mount certain types of luggage racks -- the Touratech ones, for example, seem to have a strut that clamps to the passenger footpeg hangers.

--mark
The footpeg hangers look like the only logical place to get a third mounting point for a rack. I'm pretty sure the Motech's mount to that point as well. Is there a rack that doesn't do that?

That's my main concern with the hangers... What will a simple tip over with luggage mounted do to them? Time will tell I guess.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #4116
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Looking at the rear hangers on mine, there is no doubt they would bend long before the frame does, and yes if they were bolted on they would bend the frame just the same. It seems several Tiggers have been thrown down the road by testers in the UK, and so far there have been no reports of any damage other than minor scuffs and the odd broken indicator.

If you're that worried wait until the 2012 model which will have bolt on hangers apparently. Personally I dont see it being a problem.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #4117
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Agree with others... bolted on or welded on, really doesn't matter as far as the subframe being subject to damage or not and the overall strength and performance of the bike. Bolt on would be nice to have the option.

IMHO, the biggest drawback with the weld-on approach, as mentioned quite awhile back, is the potential impact to insurance rates and perfectly good bikes getting "totaled". Sure, a lot of us will beat a tweaked hanger back into service or fab up something new, but a whole lotta owners could gently drop or lay down the bike, do no more than put some heavy scratches in those hangers, and the ins companies will have no choice but to replace the frame to repair the damage.

Not enough of an issue to keep me from buying one though
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #4118
sreynard
noob

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
cut the bloody things off and ride.
Bross, that sounds like common sense! Are you sure that's allowed on this forum?

With that 21 inch wheel it won't even go above 50 MPH without exploding into flames and everybody is worried about foot pegs?!?

sreynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #4119
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbum77 View Post
EVERYONE (except for a select few who actually rode/own a 800) are arm chair warriors on this thread....

Agreed!

Triumph UK have been specifically questioned about this and they say they stand by the design, in the sense that the frame is incredibly robust and they think it will take some serious abuse.

If some lawyers get all wonky about it I'm sure the design will be changed, but I'd kinda hate it if some arseholes thought they could make a buck. In all the feedback from Triumph, and across many owners, I get the impression that Triumph genuinely listens to customers.

That's key: they will listen to customers, not randon twats on the internet .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #4120
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots View Post
*delurk*

For what it's worth, someone's had the foresight to politely crash a Tiger 800 at low speed:

http://www.visordown.com/the-grapevi...ash/15492.html

Maybe a sacrificial slider can be fitted to the pillion peg to prevent the steel from being chipped/scuffed. :P
I'm really glad you didn't de-lurk to call me low life scum and quit the site..
IBA #40578

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #4121
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Thanks for posting your thoughts, man, and welcome aboard.

It's nice to read what people who have ridden the bike think.
Paragraphs wouldn't have gone amiss though
IBA #40578

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #4122
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada View Post
Not nearly enough pictures on here

You know I hate you right now, OK?
IBA #40578

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #4123
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post

It is clear that this bike is totaled because the passenger footpeg has hit the ground..

Given where the footpeg mounts are welded to the frame and the angle at which they're attached, I don't think it very likely that just a tipover or low-speed drop is going to tweak the frame to any great extent. Weld points are adjacent to structural components to help with rigidity. Much ado about nothing...

'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #4124
sreynard
noob

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I'm really glad you didn't de-lurk to call me low life scum and quit the site..
Glad you didn't call the new guy a s'wad, etc this time
sreynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #4125
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thank Mr Grifter but just to clarify...

My whole point for others that have missed it is LOCATION specific. IE NSW in Australia where the powers that be have introduced new laws regards write offs in JAN 2011. It may or may not apply to the rest of the world.
I don't know.

I am going to write to the RTA for a bit of clarification regards registration inspection rules etc.

The only thing I want to find out is whether to get any possible "sub frame" damage fixed before the insurance company or OR inspectors see it separately, therefore avoiding a write off on some stupid grounds.

OR

Am I even allowed in this state to modify anything on that whole section legally. Am I going to get problems if I cut and modify something just on the pillion pegs.

As far as I am aware this is specific to NSW Australia. So B4 anyone gets carried away it has little to do with reality and a lot to do with bureaucratic processes and definitions.

May end up being a storm in a teacup. Many people do turn a blind eye to bureaucratic gobbledygook if they think it to be ridiculous anyway.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote