Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
^Really starting to like Venom Yellow.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #4112
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 749
Dealer called like 10 minutes ago. My phantom black, non-ABS XC is "in transit."

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #4113
Ronbum77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
Yeah. You're destrying resale value for a reason that implies you don't wear proper off-road hear. I've had the entire might of the R1100GS strike my foot just above the ankle (right pass peg -> halfway up my boot). It was painful, bruised the boot (MX-class gear), my leg was sore for a few days, but no injury. I don't consider myself lucky - simply well equipped.

How does it imply that he isn't wearing proper offroad gear when he rides? He was only implying the that he was actually thinking about his safety taking it off-road, which probly most xc's will never see true off-road time anyway (especially if you're sooooo concerned about the resale value ). And as far as your get off, was it higher speed, regular riding, moab, baja, or did you drop it on your foot in a starbucks parking lot? where you're rhinocerous fell on your ankle, those are always some of the most protected places on a "mx-class" BOOT. Do all crashes end up on your foot? Don't be so ignorant. What about above the boot? What about a kidney shot? rib shot? (and dare i mention spine shot...)

I think Breeze's mod would be a good and SAFE one... i've been stuck with a peg before (a triumph peg none the less!), and its not pleasant. I've removed all my passenger pegs on my bikes for this reason. One less fork to stick into your pig. But regardless, no bike can be 100% safe 100% of the time. The only time it really is safe is when its on its side, that way it can squish ya if it falls... especially them there big ol' 'venture bikes.

If Breeze wants to mod his bike to how he see fits AWESOME... just means hes serious about his motorcycles AND HIS RIDING... not his resale. But to be honest, his mod might actually be desired, and not affect the potential hypothetical buyer anyway since it has become such a huge issue on this thread.

ronbum77
Ronbum77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #4114
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
It can be a hazard. I dumped my 800gs in the mud in Northern Nevada. The end of the passenger peg mount landed right on my outside ankle bone with enough force to cause an indentation in the boot. I was pinned in such a way I could not even reach the bike, much less try to raise it. Thanks to the mud I eventually got loose. Of course if it wasn't for that it would have been the hot mid pipe, so I don't know which would have been worse. Maybe the motivation would have been greater.

On other thread there is a poster that has 3 bent 800gs sub frames. I have seen a couple of comments re this bike on how thin the tubing is on the passenger peg mount. Maybe Triumph has taken that into consideration.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #4115
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
On other thread there is a poster that has 3 bent 800gs sub frames. I have seen a couple of comments re this bike on how thin the tubing is on the passenger peg mount. Maybe Triumph has taken that into consideration.
I hate being pinned! Glad no broken bones!

On the F800GS with bent subframes ... how did this happen? Simple low speed low side? Or major Loop out? Serious crash?

If a bike flips up into the air ... like with a major high side or looping it out on a hill climb ... then lands its full weight with bike upside down, I could see about any frame being bent ... and a bunch of other stuff too.
If it bends from a 15 mph low side ... then I'd be worried.

Is this Chi Town's bike? Triumph should give him a free bike and send him out for a year on the road. Now THAT would be a real long term torture test.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #4116
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Is this Chi Town's bike? Triumph should give him a free bike and send him out for a year on the road. Now THAT would be a real long term torture test. [/QUOTE]

But he's just done that.... and the bike failed IMHO.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #4117
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin T View Post
I wish I had read this thread before I bought mine, I would have thought twice about the front wheel and back pegs. I gave the test bike a good coat of looking at before I took it out and thought, blimey those clever bods have built crash protectors into the back pegs, that will save my panniers, exhaust leg if I slide off. If I had really thought about it I should have realised that it could bend the frame too. I suppose I did a little but maybe the force needed to bed the frame would leave me fairly well screwed as well, and when I start thinking like that all sorts of not required thoughts start popping into my head. As with the front wheel, I thought a 21" road tyre, sounds and looks bizarre but blow me if it doesn't work and work well, as sticky and sorted as any sports bike I have riden.

Oh why oh why didn't I come here first? I could have saved myself loads of cash, I had not idea it was a pile of crap, certainly riding it gave me no clues, damn you Triumph grrrr!
sarky Limey nooby trumpet basher, aren't u

Gonna change that big fat can for something noiser & smaller anytime soon - I want a hear what a proper can sounds like on one.

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #4118
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I hate being pinned! Glad no broken bones!

On the F800GS with bent subframes ... how did this happen? Simple low speed low side? Or major Loop out? Serious crash?

If a bike flips up into the air ... like with a major high side or looping it out on a hill climb ... then lands its full weight with bike upside down, I could see about any frame being bent ... and a bunch of other stuff too.
If it bends from a 15 mph low side ... then I'd be worried.

Is this Chi Town's bike? Triumph should give him a free bike and send him out for a year on the road. Now THAT would be a real long term torture test.

I did not know there was going to be a test. Not Chi Towns bike. The poster's name with pics is Mark......?, Marc.....?, Marq....? can't remember. Some European dude building up a F650 twin along with a dozen others in the past few years. Doesn't own an 800 so guessing he is either straightening them or using for parts.

I wouldn't think it would take all that much to tweek a frame if all the members are the same size and thickness. Thats why there are handles for sockets. I do know if you stick your ankle under it it will lessen the effect.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #4119
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Yep. They look pretty thin-walled to me.

--mark
Footpeg tubing from an earlier post
Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #4120
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I remember the pic. Smaller diameter and thin walled. I just wished they did not weld them on, makes straightening hard to impossible.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #4121
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Dealer called like 10 minutes ago. My phantom black, non-ABS XC is "in transit."
"In transit" as on the boat from England or on the truck from the USA distribution center ??????
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #4122
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 749
I don't know and it's driving me nuts!

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #4123
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
I don't know and it's driving me nuts!
They are going to drive us all nuts with this "next week, no two weeks" stuff.

Whats the name of that game with the 3 walnut shells and the pea???

r
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #4124
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,102
Another bike that is tempting me.

I would like to see a set of 19"/17" spoked wheels as options for the non XC version. I think they look a lot better than the cast alloy ones.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #4125
Trip
Unkempt

Oddometer: 31,123
Howdy Gents,

My bike is HERE! Picking it up on Saturday. 800XC White, non-ABS.

I'll be sure to let y'all know if it's a piece of shit
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote