Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #4681
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm wondering if the Tiger XC could do the tougher areas of the Andes, Southern Patagonia, Trans Amazonas mud and the Salar de Uyuni.
Tonight?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #4682
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
why RTW? Wouldn't most want to see this bike do a trip that more can do then the few who are able to RTW? I would love to see this bike in action in the real world...Like the Washington Back Country Route....ummmm.....doing all the keys points up north in BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska....the Continental Divide? Most of us get only one decent vacation year...so for me the true test of a bike like this is a 2 - 4 week adventure going on and off road but roads that this bike was made for...not single track stuff or even difficult ATV tracks...just good clean ADV riding.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #4683
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Just hoping the summer this year is just better....we can deal with heat and cold...we are ready...should be awesome and who knows maybe we will be on the Tiger XC to try them out...would be a great ride for the new ADV bike on the block eh?
That would be a good break-in ride. Just be prepared fr any type of weather. Before I retired I rode a bike to work, Wasilla to just outside of Anchorage, from the first of May, to the end of Sep. During the average summer I would have no more than 15 days with the temp about 45 F on the way in to work. If I go in May I will be prepared for temps ranging from 100 in the southern US to well below freezing about the Circle. Hell, you could see the same range of temps going in July. Will you guys be camping or staying in motels?
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #4684
soph9
Bike Addict

camping as much as we can....and we have heated gear and gloves and good waterproof gear too....my one hope is that the majority of the Dempster stays dry but we will sludge though the slippery snot if we have too!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #4685
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Got to love the internet. So two guys have their bikes remapped in Canada, ride them to BF South American. They both get gas and both bike engines destroy themselves. It is all BMW's fault because they won't digest whatever comes out of a hose. Very deductive reasoning Watson.
Hundreds of riders ride all over S. America on crap fuel ... and in more remote areas ... and NONE had an engine gernade due to "bad" fuel far as I know.

I've run 1000's of miles at speed on Baja Barrel gas ... never a problem.
(it does leave deposits on your valves and top of pistons)That crap gas is loaded with water, Diesel and dirt ... it's amazing the bikes ran ... but no one in our groups of 10 to 15 riders ever had a meltdown due to fuel.

It is ODD that TWO brand new bikes expired ... inexplicable actually.

"Zes ist nict possible mit BMVay! It hass never 'appened before! Jou are ze first!" (isn't that how the usual response from BMW goes? )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #4686
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
camping as much as we can....and we have heated gear and gloves and good waterproof gear too....my one hope is that the majority of the Dempster stays dry but we will sludge though the slippery snot if we have too!
We spin the wheel and take out chances. I'm looking forward to your RR since you'll be making the trip a year ahead of me.

OK, time for my old body to hit the sack. Talk at you later.
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #4687
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
why RTW? Wouldn't most want to see this bike do a trip that more can do then the few who are able to RTW? I would love to see this bike in action in the real world...Like the Washington Back Country Route....ummmm.....doing all the keys points up north in BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska....the Continental Divide? Most of us get only one decent vacation year...so for me the true test of a bike like this is a 2 - 4 week adventure going on and off road but roads that this bike was made for...not single track stuff or even difficult ATV tracks...just good clean ADV riding.
True, not many can do RTW. Takes lots of time/money. But a few can sneak away for 3 or 4 months and do a S. America run or a ride through India on a rental. Call this a "mini" version of a RTW ride.

I did most of AK and Canada 20 years ago. I'm sure there is more to see
but I'm looking for a bit of culture shock. Some avoid that I guess. I've traveled a bit so appreciate the challenge of foreign travel on a bike.

Doing RTW or S. America has nothing to do with single track. You'll most likely never find any. But the Adventure is there nonetheless. I'm hoping the Tiger XC is tough enough and reliable enough to cut it.

Read Jamin' Jay's RR and check out the kind of abuse his bike has taken and the wide variety of roads he has been down. Impressive stuff. He's no
"Extreme Rider Hero" type either ... as mild mannered as Clark Kent ... but a Super man lurks in there somewhere!

2 to 4 weeks would be one country for Jay. (out of about 12 he's been to) And remember, unless you really try .... you'll likely be on pavement 60% to 70% of the time. But bikes are tested; from extreme rain to 100's of miles of nasty washboard/potholed roads, to temps over 35C with 90% humidity ... and lots of just plain stupid drops due fatigue, mud, animals or oncoming buses in your lane.

I would like to think the Tiger XC could handle this without the pilot being Stephanne Peterhansel or David Knight.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #4688
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post

I rode mine for six hours today. I'm still breaking it in. Mostly it was slow and easy.

The riding position is WAY different from my KLR. At the end my back and arms were a little sore. Also the stock seat started to get a bit uncomfortable towards the end. Probably should have left the gel seat on my list of accessories.

This is interesting - On a demo I noticed the XC was a bit more of a reach forward than some of the other bikes I am considering buying. I coming from a sportbike background, so it should still be a big boost in comfort for me.

I am torn between the XC and the KTM 990 Adventure - has anyone owned both / ridden them back to back? I know similar comparisons have been beaten to death, but I will take whatever input I can get.
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #4689
soph9
Bike Addict

if I owned this bike I know i would need risers....but that is no big deal....they also sell pull back handle bars for this bike...that would make I think for a real comfy riding position too!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #4690
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

So what about RTW Adventure riders? Will the Tiger XC cut it?
Plenty take big BMW GS's and KTM's ... and most seem to make it OK.
The F800's have been out there too, but not that many.

I'm wondering if the Tiger XC could do the tougher areas of the Andes, Southern Patagonia, Trans Amazonas mud and the Salar de Uyuni. An unloaded bike is one thing. But what happens when you add 120 lbs. of gear ?? (spare tires and camping and cooking gear?)
After seeing a RTW presentation by Austin Vince (of the Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa films)last weekend and talking with him, my choice would be the trusty DR650. I've gotten into enough over-my-head situations on my Tiger 955 to now know better. A torn ACL or broken leg is just one misstep away while riding a pig in the sand or mud. Still looking forward to some Tiger 800 off road ride reports though.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #4691
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lurkster- View Post
This is interesting - On a demo I noticed the XC was a bit more of a reach forward than some of the other bikes I am considering buying. I coming from a sportbike background, so it should still be a big boost in comfort for me.

I am torn between the XC and the KTM 990 Adventure - has anyone owned both / ridden them back to back? I know similar comparisons have been beaten to death, but I will take whatever input I can get.
You can turn the Triumph risers round 180 degrees for less of a forward lean.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #4692
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Triumph Detroit had an unsold white Tiger 800XC on the floor a week ago Saturday. I think it was the ABS model. They're a great shop with excellent service.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #4693
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkSlayer View Post
Triumph Detroit had an unsold white Tiger 800XC on the floor a week ago Saturday. I think it was the ABS model. They're a great shop with excellent service.
I believe that is their demo, although non abs. I took it for a spin :). They truly are an amazing dealer.

Dmarino screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 09:02 AM
Dmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #4694
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
So today I canceled my order. What I described above is exactly what left me unsure after the first test ride, everything about this bike just FEELS like a sportbike, except the upright position....

... just wish the balance of the bike was more what I was hoping for.
So Dave, the search goes on? I'm in the same boat. I was really exicted about the Versys too... until I owned one.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #4695
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,324
Triumph promotion for veterans

So, I got an email from Triumph (America) yesterday regarding a new promotion for veterans. It gives up to $750 off a new bike (depending on model) for active military and honorably discharged veterans. It's $500 off on all the Tigers. Called my dealer today to confirm that this would apply to my T800, and he immediately said "Sure, you just need a copy of your DD214." Hooray! Free farkles I hadn't counted on.

He also said we now have a VIN # for the bike, but he couldn't tell where it was physically located at the moment. It could be on the way from the UK or already in the US.

Edit: Details on the promotion are here http://www.rideatriumph.com/hero

davevv screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 10:29 AM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote