Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #4771
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Nothing against you Pitpass, but this is bullshit. I feel like such a jackass.
"Put a thousand dollars down, & that puts your name on a bike to be delivered in March. That's the only way to get a new Tiger in 2011." That's what I was told back in November. Triumph USA customer service is horrible. I hate to think how they will act after I buy the damn thing.

If anybody knows of a Black XC in the southeast, then please pass along the info thru PM.

wow that sucks. You put a deposit for the bike in November and still don't have the bike, while this other guy goes and picks up the bike you want instantly. Major customer service fail.

I would definitely try to let someone at Triumph USA know what happened and ask them what the heck the deal is
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #4772
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
wow that sucks. You put a deposit for the bike in November and still don't have the bike, while this other guy goes and picks up the bike you want instantly. Major customer service fail.

I would definitely try to let someone at Triumph USA know what happened and ask them what the heck the deal is

The deal is simple -- a lot of dealers made up fake preorders so they could get early floor stock. They totally abused the system.

Hopefully Triumph will learn from this, and next time they have a preorder process for a bike that's sure to be popular, take a page from BMW's book -- apparently BMW personally contacted all S1000RR preorder customers to confirm the order precisely so a situation like this couldn't happen.

Rob, call Triumph back and give them hell.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #4773
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
The boxes look like they would survive almost anything, they are a lot more sturdy than they appear in photos. Think Pelican cases.
The mounting system I'm not so sure about. Although it works well, it's mostly plastic-none of the usual metal tubing systems we usually see on these bikes. With the cases off, it's hard to see the mounts..

If the aftermarket produces a conventional metal mounting system, I would probably buy it.
I had a good look and not sure they are as sturdy as the Pelican cases to be honest. I would love to see a Triumph test video of their people dumping the Tiger with these bags on ans see what happens not only to the closing mechanism on the bags but definitely the mounting system. They say everything is tested for at least 120,000 miles...but what does that mean? Luggage has to take a dump and if damaged needs to be able to "fixed" to keep the ride going.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #4774
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The deal is simple -- a lot of dealers made up fake preorders so they could get early floor stock. They totally abused the system.
Rob, call Triumph back and give them hell.

--mark
I'm trying, but they want take my call or call me back. If something doesn't happen this week, then I'm going to bail & buy something else. This is total bullshit.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #4775
sreynard
noob

Oddometer: 38
Bluhduh

Quote:
I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't really trust a dealer that played such games. If they cheat their suppliers, why would you think they wouldn't cheat their customers. I certainly wouldn't qualify them as "a straight shooter!"

Quote:
I'm trying, but they want take my call or call me back. If something doesn't happen this week, then I'm going to bail & buy something else. This is total bullshit.
Feel your pain! T800 ABS promised by mid March, then end of March, then April 14th ETA, then end of April. It looks like my dealer is following all the rules. They are really pissed about the situation. So far, I've been telling them it's OK, it's a new bike. I'll give Triumph until the end of the month, but if floor bikes show up at the other local dealer before the preorders come in, I'll be buying a different brand.
sreynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #4776
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreynard View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't really trust a dealer that played such games. If they cheat their suppliers, why would you think they wouldn't cheat their customers. I certainly wouldn't qualify them as "a straight shooter!"

Feel your pain! T800 ABS promised by mid March, then end of March, then April 14th ETA, then end of April. It looks like my dealer is following all the rules. They are really pissed about the situation. So far, I've been telling them it's OK, it's a new bike. I'll give Triumph until the end of the month, but if floor bikes show up at the other local dealer before the preorders come in, I'll be buying a different brand.

From what I've heard, the problem is not only with dealers faking orders to have bikes on the floor. It is also a problem with bikes not being produced or dsitributed according to what were the specific orders (color, XC or not, ABS or not). Then there are the changes being made as Triumph transitioned from 2011 models to 2012 models after just a few months pf production. And on top of that, there is disinformation and the blame game going on as well. Difficult to point where the problem started...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #4777
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:

Damn. In that case, if I were you I would call around and find a dealership that has the bike you want. My dealer got in a black non-ABS XC at the end of March (already picked up in the meantime by the guy who ordered it), so a few of them obviously made it out there. The bike is worth the effort to track one down.

And once you have it, if I were you, I would write an angry but polite letter to Triumph UK -- directly to John Bloor if you have to -- and explain the situation and how poorly Triumph US has handled it. The fact that they're not even taking your phone calls at this point is total bullshit.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #4778
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
I don't understand the not taking your phone calls thing. I called the other day and within 20 seconds I had a customer service person on the phone.
'12 NC700X/D

gkgeiger screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 10:50 AM
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #4779
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Damn. In that case, if I were you I would call around and find a dealership that has the bike you want. My dealer got in a black non-ABS XC at the end of March (already picked up in the meantime by the guy who ordered it), so a few of them obviously made it out there. The bike is worth the effort to track one down.

And once you have it, if I were you, I would write an angry but polite letter to Triumph UK -- directly to John Bloor if you have to -- and explain the situation and how poorly Triumph US has handled it. The fact that they're not even taking your phone calls at this point is total bullshit.

--mark
For what is worth, Triumph is pretty much aware of what is going on with the sales and distribution of this bike in the US.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #4780
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Not quite there yet.
I am a "rookie" on dirt trails so I'm open to all tips
TKC80 up front, Heidenau K60 rear. This will be a good combination for gravel roads. The TKC80 will feel a bit "weird" for first 200 kms. on paved roads, but once it wears in a bit, should be fine.

Also look at :
Mefo
Mitas

Front is most important on dirt/mud/gravel. The Heidenau last a long time.
Very tough tire but not cheap (here in USA)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #4781
Masi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
TKC80 up front, Heidenau K60 rear. This will be a good combination for gravel roads. The TKC80 will feel a bit "weird" for first 200 kms. on paved roads, but once it wears in a bit, should be fine.

Also look at :
Mefo
Mitas

Front is most important on dirt/mud/gravel. The Heidenau last a long time.
Very tough tire but not cheap (here in USA)
Thanks!
I scrolled through the local "mud" forum and they were recommending Heidenau K60 too but the price at our local importer is round 175 ~ 250 USD
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #4782
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,861
Quote:
Holy Crap! That sounds serious. Details posted anywhere?

Found the square end of a rut and took a soil sample.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #4783
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post

Found the square end of a rut and took a soil sample.
I've only seen or heard of one other KLR breaking in half like that. Years ago there was a ride report on ADV from a traveler riding through Mexico.
His frame broke in nearly the same place, IIRC. He caught it before crashing ... had it welded up locally and continued.

The only worrying thing here is the fact that BOTH the KLR and the Tiger 800 frames are made in Thailand. Kawasaki have been there for over 10 years with KLR production. Lets hope Triumph have beat on this bike enough to properly test it's strength!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #4784
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,861
Quote:
The only worrying thing here is the fact that BOTH the KLR and the Tiger 800 frames are made in Thailand.
That's a Japanese made frame... bought it new in 1998, they went Thai in 2001....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #4785
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
I've only seen or heard of one other KLR breaking in half like that. Years ago there was a ride report on ADV from a traveler riding through Mexico.
His frame broke in nearly the same place, IIRC. He caught it before crashing ... had it welded up locally and continued.

The only worrying thing here is the fact that BOTH the KLR and the Tiger 800 frames are made in Thailand. Kawasaki have been there for over 10 years with KLR production. Lets hope Triumph have beat on this bike enough to properly test it's strength!
There was a time when European consumers complained of American made products. Maybe they still do? OK, bad example. Once we complained about the Japanese made cars and bikes. Now we praise them as best in all classes and we've forgotten how bad we once claimed them to be. We also complained about the South Korean made cars and electronics. Now they are all good and ranking very high on consumer reports. Now your computer is made in China (unless you operate an expensive Mac), your external drive is made in China. And they are all good. And the made in China cars will soon hit the American market. Can we really claim "made in China" or "made in Thailand" is really *still* synonymous for low quality across the board? It is just a question...

I'd rather be riding!