ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #4816
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Had a seat on my local Triumph dealers 800 demo machine. Nice bike, the shop was a bit busy so, I'll arrange a demo in a few months time. Good sized bike, very similar to my Wee, but felt a bit lighter. One thing to look out for will be corrosion - the bike I sat on was VERY corroded for a two month old bike (wheels, brake discs mainly). So for those who are buying one in the UK its definately worth using some sort of anti-corrosion spray (we use a lot of salt/grit in the UK). Still no worse than the corrosion on a Wee, if you ignore things and run it in the winter.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #4817
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,986
I've never owned a bike that I didn't have to do something about the wind protection/buffeting, and I expect that to be an issue here as well.

I see Palmer has brackets out now, and those worked well on my Uly. What about the Triumph adjustable bracket and tall screen?

I know it's still very early, but does anyone have any problems/solutions yet?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #4818
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 622
Does anyone have the factory panniers yet? I would love to see some pics. Especially the inside. I assume they are side opening and not top. Are there hooks and straps inside? Thanks in advance.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #4819
JSjKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Another tank of gas, and another solid 52.5 mpg here. That includes about 50 or so miles of dirt road on the way back from my first service last Friday.

God, I love this bike!
Fuel economy tends to get better with elevation. You being fortunate enough to live in New Mexico should experience better than average fuel mileage as its average elevation is around 4700' above sea level.
http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif
JSjKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #4820
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSjKL View Post
Fuel economy tends to get better with elevation. You being fortunate enough to live in New Mexico should experience better than average fuel mileage as its average elevation is around 4700' above sea level.
http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif
Good point. I get significantly better mileage -around 10-20%- in Colorado and Utah (4500-13000 feet) compared to riding here in Ohio/PA/WV (1200-4500 feet).
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #4821
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
I'm certainly not babying the bike. I'm probably a bit lighter than most of the other riders here, but my hubby is getting very similar mileage on his Tiger (51mpg or so).
Excellent. I got 43mpg on my first refill, 44mpg on my second (which included 20-30 miles of around-town riding and a spirited backroads ride with plenty of hard acceleration). And I'm a 260lb fat-ass.

Engine's not even broken in yet, so I expect it will get a fair amount better.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #4822
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I've never owned a bike that I didn't have to do something about the wind protection/buffeting, and I expect that to be an issue here as well.

I know it's still very early, but does anyone have any problems/solutions yet?

For what it's worth, I'm quite satisfied with the stock screen as is. I'm 6'4", and while I do get wind noise as on any bike, I'm not getting any helmet buffeting at all, from in-town speeds up to highway speeds. Airflow is smooth, and earplugs take care of the wind noise (I always wear them on longer rides anyway).

I may get the tall screen for cold-weather riding, but won't bother till next fall.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #4823
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
More of my accessories have arrived, beak and low seat. ...
I would really like to hear your comments on the low seat. Do you think it will be comfortable for 10 hour days or did they just shave the padding to make it lower? Also, how much lower is it?
TIA,
jc
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #4824
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Added bonus, also collected the centre stand as well as beak and low seat. Beak & seat now on and hopefully centre stand tonight.

KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #4825
nurider
Doug

Oddometer: 13
Accessories Delayed.

Bike is prepped but the Pannier Kit(Saddle Boxes), Sump Guard. Radiator Protector and Center Stand are not in and expected to be delivered late May. Did get the Aux Lights, Engine Guard and bags for the Saddle Boxes.
Anyone else run into the same delays on accessories?
nurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #4826
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
For what it's worth, I'm quite satisfied with the stock screen as is. I'm 6'4", and while I do get wind noise as on any bike, I'm not getting any helmet buffeting at all, from in-town speeds up to highway speeds. Airflow is smooth, and earplugs take care of the wind noise (I always wear them on longer rides anyway).

I may get the tall screen for cold-weather riding, but won't bother till next fall.

--mark
good to know. thanks. I'm 6'1" and usually end up with a rattley head
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #4827
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
My dealer was able to get a center stand and the gps mount for me but the engine guards, hand guards and heated grip kit were all delayed.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #4828
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider View Post
Bike is prepped but the Pannier Kit(Saddle Boxes), Sump Guard. Radiator Protector and Center Stand are not in and expected to be delivered late May. Did get the Aux Lights, Engine Guard and bags for the Saddle Boxes.
Anyone else run into the same delays on accessories?
Been getting mine in small deliveries since collecting the 800 on the 3rd of March, some came fitted - heated grips, hand guards.

Am only waiting on the radiator guard and front mudguard extension (fender extender) now.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #4829
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 433
Here in Utah we have 2 BMW/Triumph dealers. One dealer I will call Dealer 1 has finally received one white Demo xc nothing else. The other one Dealer 2 was promised there demo bikes and the preordered ones weeks ago. Never have arrived.
I want to put down on a preorder with dealer 2 but they say there is a list over 35 people after the original preorder. Which means they think if the first 2011 shipment comes in they are all spoken for so then the next 5 people on the list will get the 2012 due the end of this month...What, they don’t even have 2011 yet!
So basically the dealer told me if I put my name on the list I might get a bike in October or early November some time.. Then the dealer started pushing the 800gs on me and told me I should purchase it and when the Tiger xc has been out for a year or two and all the bugs are fixed then sale the GS and get the Tiger.

So I went to Dealer 1 and they said they don’t do any preordering and that they want people to ride the 800gs and then the tiger to see what is best for them and then decide. Which was pretty cool of them. But none of their bikes have shown up for public sale either.

I get the feeling from both dealers that their loyalty and number one priority is BMW first. As both dealers are pushing to give the GS a shot before your decision and the dealer 2 wanted me to buy the gs that day right then and there..

Why does Triumph sale their bikes with now their #1 competitor BMW shops??
I would be interested to know if all of you who have your bikes were they purchased from a full Triumph dealer? Just to see if Triumph is not releasing their bikes to BMW dealers until last?

My main question to the forum is what would you all advise on how I could get one under my belt = vin# established etc.. And have one by July at least as I want to ride this year before 2012 and the winter months come on again.
Do I call Triumph? Do I look for a full Triumph dealer and call them and do a long distance purchase? What would you do if in my position.

Thanks,
Bouldertag

bouldertag screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 08:05 AM Reason: Advice please:
bouldertag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #4830
TunisianRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
My dealer was able to get a center stand and the gps mount for me but the engine guards, hand guards and heated grip kit were all delayed.

Where did you buy your bike from?
I've been told that the dealer in Soho closed. Is there any other place in the city to go see the bike up close?
TunisianRider is offline   Reply With Quote