Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #5371
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
I get my XC tomorrow. The nearest dealer is 5 hours away and bike is being delivered. I want to do an oil change after 25 miles. (Not starting a break in debate here. Please leave me to my methods) What oil filter does this take? Is is a shared part number with another model that has been out for awhile? Can I get one locally at an auto parts store or have I screwed myself?
It's probably too late, but I changed my oil at 230 miles & there was only a tiny amount of metal (compared to a new thumper). The T8 uses SemiSyn Oil for break-in & Full Syn at 500 miles.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #5372
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Thankfully this is my bike and all I care about is me . I'd like a windscreen but cant stand that incredibly loud "tarp flapping in the wind" sound. Hopefully the aftermarket has some good options soon. To your point if i was going 100 or maintaining 100mph, yes I'd want a windscreen. For me its the 55-75mph area where it's troublesome. Also by stating "sounds like a bike" I simply mean I can hear the engine over the wind.
I guess we both agree that the aftermaket better come through. Either with louder pipes or better screens
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #5373
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Dear aftermarket, please please please offer a FULL exhaust system for this bike.

That is all..
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #5374
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
I get my XC tomorrow. The nearest dealer is 5 hours away and bike is being delivered. I want to do an oil change after 25 miles. (Not starting a break in debate here. Please leave me to my methods) What oil filter does this take? Is is a shared part number with another model that has been out for awhile? Can I get one locally at an auto parts store or have I screwed myself?
I just ordered one for my 500 mile service. The local parts guy told me that it uses the same filter as the 1050. He also said that most Triumphs use the same oil filter. Don't forget the crush washer!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #5375
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
I just ordered one for my 500 mile service. The local parts guy told me that it uses the same filter as the 1050. He also said that most Triumphs use the same oil filter. Don't forget the crush washer!
Back in my noob days, I had 4 oil changes without replacing the crush washer. The P.O. also had three. Without new crush washers. So at least 8 oil changes with the same crush washer. No leaks.

For being dirt cheap, I replace them if I do a full service but don't sweat over it if I'm in a hurry.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #5376
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
[...] Also by stating "sounds like a bike" I simply mean I can hear the engine over the wind.
+1. When test riding this bike, at about 40 mph the nice engine sounds were completely overcome by wind noise.

And I don't plan to be riding this bike at a constant 100mph...

So Dmarino, I'm following your progress, hopefully you will find a solution before I get my bike.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #5377
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,389
Touratech has a nice short videos showing what they have to offer for the XC

http://youtu.be/SrCA6AxmKb0?hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqHIV...eature=related

soph9 screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 07:05 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #5378
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's probably too late, but I changed my oil at 230 miles & there was only a tiny amount of metal (compared to a new thumper). The T8 uses SemiSyn Oil for break-in & Full Syn at 500 miles.
I was talking to my dealer yesterday and he said Triumph now runs the bikes on dynos for 15 minutes at the factory, then dumps the oil and changes the filter and refills with semi-syn before they send it off to the dealer. This might explain why the oil was so clean ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #5379
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
I was talking to my dealer yesterday and he said Triumph now runs the bikes on dynos for 15 minutes at the factory, then dumps the oil and changes the filter and refills with semi-syn before they send it off to the dealer. This might explain why the oil was so clean ...
I knew it was something like that. I was not sure if my dealer did it, or Triumph. But I knew somebody already did an oil change.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #5380
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's the same filter Triumph uses on most (all?) of their current bikes.

Make sure you also pick up a crush washer. I've been hearing that reusing old crush washers results in oil leaks on this bike.

Also make sure you've got the right-sized Allen socket for the oil drain plug. I think it's an 8mm but don't remember for sure now. Yes, Allen socket, not normal hex socket.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #5381
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's probably too late, but I changed my oil at 230 miles & there was only a tiny amount of metal (compared to a new thumper).

Yeah, I changed mine at 215 miles and found the oil to be very clean too. Filled with regular 10W40 motorcycle oil and changed again at 600 miles; even cleaner. Filled with Spectro Gold motorcycle oil, and will change it again this weekend for Mobil 1 in preparation for my trip that kicks off at the end of next week.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #5382
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB450 View Post
Got a chance to ride the 800xc today. The demos were at Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA. Beautiful machine and sweet ride. Very smooth and linear acceleration. There is a fair amount of engine braking. I have never ridden a triple before... Very impressive. Wish I could have ridden a little longer.

Riding position is more comfortable and it is easier to touch the ground than on the 950se. I'm 6'2" and the 950se was tall even for me.

I didn't get to stand up, as we were not supposed to, and the demo guy was riding right behind me.

I still have to ride the 800gs and the 990adv so I can decide which ones for me.
Then forget about that bunch of wanna bes at "euro" and stop by hermys. Real motorcyclists with real demo bikes. Both Ts and Fs. No KTMs though, but if you keep going north on 61, there is a KTM dealer not too far from Hermys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
Cinco de Mayo. Today was the day I was to pick up my new Tiger 800 XC....
... Unfortunately it tipped over as they were bringing it around from the back, and it fell on its side, driving the passenger foot peg into the concrete and bending the frame on the bike....
Then my alarm went off. Time to get up and pick up my bike! More later ...
Joking aside, that's the first thing that came to mind when I first saw one in the flesh about a month ago. Would that "legally" total the bike? I wonder why didn't they bolt on the pegs......

Elefant screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 08:15 AM Reason: multiple quoting
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #5383
twinpower
1200R Sportster

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Thankfully this is my bike and all I care about is me . I'd like a windscreen but cant stand that incredibly loud "tarp flapping in the wind" sound. Hopefully the aftermarket has some good options soon. To your point if i was going 100 or maintaining 100mph, yes I'd want a windscreen. For me its the 55-75mph area where it's troublesome. Also by stating "sounds like a bike" I simply mean I can hear the engine over the wind.
Its amazing how different the same windscreen performs from rider to rider. I loved how smooth and quiet the air was for me when test riding a T800 - I could leave my visor open at 70 mph and it was fine!
It probably helps that I'm only 5'7". I could feel/hear some turbulence if I lifted myself up in a higher than usual position. They need to make all bikes like this with a range of adjustments on the height/angle of the windshield.
Speaking of which - is there any adjustment available on the T800's?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5384
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
Its amazing how different the same windscreen performs from rider to rider. I loved how smooth and quiet the air was for me when test riding a T800 - I could leave my visor open at 70 mph and it was fine!
It probably helps that I'm only 5'7". I could feel/hear some turbulence if I lifted myself up in a higher than usual position. They need to make all bikes like this with a range of adjustments on the height/angle of the windshield.
Speaking of which - is there any adjustment available on the T800's?

Take it off! I usually trim windscreens as far down as the fairing will allow. No more buffeting.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #5385
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
Take it off! I usually trim windscreens as far down as the fairing will allow. No more buffeting.
Cutting out the buffet also helps with the power to weight ratio.
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote