Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #5416
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
It's probably too late, but I changed my oil at 230 miles & there was only a tiny amount of metal (compared to a new thumper).

Yeah, I changed mine at 215 miles and found the oil to be very clean too. Filled with regular 10W40 motorcycle oil and changed again at 600 miles; even cleaner. Filled with Spectro Gold motorcycle oil, and will change it again this weekend for Mobil 1 in preparation for my trip that kicks off at the end of next week.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #5417
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB450 View Post
Got a chance to ride the 800xc today. The demos were at Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA. Beautiful machine and sweet ride. Very smooth and linear acceleration. There is a fair amount of engine braking. I have never ridden a triple before... Very impressive. Wish I could have ridden a little longer.

Riding position is more comfortable and it is easier to touch the ground than on the 950se. I'm 6'2" and the 950se was tall even for me.

I didn't get to stand up, as we were not supposed to, and the demo guy was riding right behind me.

I still have to ride the 800gs and the 990adv so I can decide which ones for me.
Then forget about that bunch of wanna bes at "euro" and stop by hermys. Real motorcyclists with real demo bikes. Both Ts and Fs. No KTMs though, but if you keep going north on 61, there is a KTM dealer not too far from Hermys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
Cinco de Mayo. Today was the day I was to pick up my new Tiger 800 XC....
... Unfortunately it tipped over as they were bringing it around from the back, and it fell on its side, driving the passenger foot peg into the concrete and bending the frame on the bike....
Then my alarm went off. Time to get up and pick up my bike! More later ...
Joking aside, that's the first thing that came to mind when I first saw one in the flesh about a month ago. Would that "legally" total the bike? I wonder why didn't they bolt on the pegs......

Elefant screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 08:15 AM Reason: multiple quoting
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #5418
twinpower
1200R Sportster

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Thankfully this is my bike and all I care about is me . I'd like a windscreen but cant stand that incredibly loud "tarp flapping in the wind" sound. Hopefully the aftermarket has some good options soon. To your point if i was going 100 or maintaining 100mph, yes I'd want a windscreen. For me its the 55-75mph area where it's troublesome. Also by stating "sounds like a bike" I simply mean I can hear the engine over the wind.
Its amazing how different the same windscreen performs from rider to rider. I loved how smooth and quiet the air was for me when test riding a T800 - I could leave my visor open at 70 mph and it was fine!
It probably helps that I'm only 5'7". I could feel/hear some turbulence if I lifted myself up in a higher than usual position. They need to make all bikes like this with a range of adjustments on the height/angle of the windshield.
Speaking of which - is there any adjustment available on the T800's?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5419
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
Its amazing how different the same windscreen performs from rider to rider. I loved how smooth and quiet the air was for me when test riding a T800 - I could leave my visor open at 70 mph and it was fine!
It probably helps that I'm only 5'7". I could feel/hear some turbulence if I lifted myself up in a higher than usual position. They need to make all bikes like this with a range of adjustments on the height/angle of the windshield.

Take it off! I usually trim windscreens as far down as the fairing will allow. No more buffeting.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #5420
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
Take it off! I usually trim windscreens as far down as the fairing will allow. No more buffeting.
Cutting out the buffet also helps with the power to weight ratio.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #5421
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Not with the standard screen. You can get just the adjustment mechanism for the standard or you can buy the touring screen. I've the touring screen.
Touring screen

All the way up

All the way down
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #5422
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
They need to make all bikes like this with a range of adjustments on the height/angle of the windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Not with the standard screen. You can get just the adjustment mechanism for the standard or you can buy the touring screen.
So can you change the angle of the standard screen so it's angled more torward the rider using the accessory adjustment mechanism?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #5423
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
So can you change the angle of the standard screen so it's angled more torward the rider using the accessory adjustment mechanism?

KildareMan, from what you can tell, will the adjuster mechanism from the bigger touring screen also work on the stock screen? I think I'll get the touring screen to try but would be nice if the adjuster would work on both and I can switch screens back and forth as the trip warrants.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #5424
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Anybody know the size of the Allen key/socket needed for the front wheel? It's smaller than the 1050 and smaller than all 3 sizes on my nifty combo tool.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #5425
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSF View Post
Cinco de Mayo. Today was the day I was to pick up my new Tiger 800 XC. I awoke early in the morning and drank some Triumph KoolAid then headed via bus on down to my local dealer to get an XC fix. I got there before they opened and sat in the sun and waited. It was already in the low 70's. It was going to be a gorgeous day.

Once opened, they finished up the prep on the XC that was going to be mine - once I rode it and agreed to purchase it, since I hadn't yet had a chance to demo the bike. Unfortunately it tipped over as they were bringing it around from the back, and it fell on its side, driving the passenger foot peg into the concrete and bending the frame on the bike. It was a mild bend, so we figured I should at least test ride it anyway - I mean what more damage could be done?

The bike kept dying but if I kept my throttle up over 2500 rpms then it was ok. I did some inadvertent wheelies but it was all good. I also noticed it making all these strange sounds (whining and clunking), but once I got my earplugs in, I didn't notice it. The brakes were making strange noises too, but after a few stoppies, they settled down. I decided to head down to the the local state park and hit some off road trails. Everything was fine until headed down a steep loose section the front wheel dove in because the rake was so severe that and I and the whole bike bike did a header down the hill. Fortunately, outside of a broken headlight housing, the rest of the damage was to the accessories like the fog light brackets and the disintegration of the panniers and mounts. And the rear shock remote reservoir fell off the frame and was just dangling down. But. most of the bike was fine and it still started and ran fine. I really love the engine.

I worked back up the hill, spraying dirt and gravel all over the undercarriage of the bike, pretty much tearing up the finish on the rear shock, swingarm, chain, brake calipers, etc. The ABS ring got so trashed, that the ABS stopped functioning. But, I really don't like ABS anyway, especially in the loose stuff.

I was having so much fun I got a bit carried away and railed down this gravel and loose rock section of road throwing the back end out sliding around, and generally being a hooligan. Unfortunately, the front tire must have thrown up some rocks because the oil filter was punctured, and that was pretty much the end of my day While checking out the damage while I waited for the shop truck to arrive to pick up the bike, I notice that because I had aired down the rear tire to about 12 pounds, the tube tore out of the tire as well Bead locks next time

Then my alarm went off. Time to get up and pick up my bike! More later ...

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #5426
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Free Farkle... almost.

Well, I was pretty much all in to spring for SW Motech's Givi adapter plate, when I realized; "Holy Crap" they want ~140.00 plus ~40.00 shipping, and according to them I would need to get a new Givi Nylon plate to fit on the Givi adapter plate, and that was another ~50.00 (all values US currency). WTF!!! I canceled that order when the extra charges became apparent in our back and forth communications.

So I did what any Dutchman would do. I built the damn thing myself out of Polycarbonate.
Sheet cut to size with holes (~9"x8.5") = ~15.00
Mounting hardware (steel spacers, crown bolts, washers, wall bracket) = ~18.00
(Including an the unnecessary steel wall bracket bar)
Total cost: ~33.00
Total savings: almost 200.00

took 20 min instead of two weeks shipping.
The most expensive pieces were the steel spacers but they were a perfect fit.
The steel reinforcement bar is not needed and I plan on taking it off after some more testing (it does make it look beefy though)

Future Mods to plate:
I intend to drill two holes in the corners for bungie hooks and round the corners to clean it up so it looks more natural (particularly in the rear near the seat). It has an extra benefit of being a bit wider than the SW plate and makes a nice flat surface for mounting other things besides that Givi Nylon plate. Like my GoPro camera. It can be adjusted forwards or backwards, left or right by changing the mount holes used. In addition it does not block the hand rails in any way.

I figure this will last me nicely until I get the three piece luggage set I want (possibly tourtech), and I did it without jacking up any of the original parts on any of the equipment (bike or case).

Attached Images

forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #5427
forkt
Adventurer

More plates pics

different view
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #5428
forkt
Adventurer

from the rear. I might replace the crown bolts with some flush fitting bolts so I can ditch the washers altogether, but was unsure how the bolt would sit and wear inside the polycarbonate (and I couldn't find it before my planned ride date). Once I get a hold some it will look even better.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #5429
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Don't drop your pillion!

Got the call yesterday but couldn't pick the bike up. I went first thing this morning and rode it home. I popped the pillion off to check things out and it fell off the front seat hitting the concrete floor. One of those wimpy tangs on the front went flying across the garage. Boy was I pissed. I just glued it and hope it holds. BE CAREFULL!
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #5430
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Got the call yesterday but couldn't pick the bike up. I went first thing this morning and rode it home. I popped the pillion off to check things out and it fell off the front seat hitting the concrete floor. One of those wimpy tangs on the front went flying across the garage. Boy was I pissed. I just glued it and hope it holds. BE CAREFULL!
I noticed the tip of one of mine was broken after getting the bike home and removing the seat.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote