Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #5491
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Hmmm, spoke to a dealer in Kennesaw Ga Saturday and he said he had 14 800's arriving mid June. BTW, I asked him if one of them was a black ABS, he said yes and it wasn't spoken for. If I wanted it let him know, he would put my name on it for a $1000 deposit. I asked him if it was an '11 or a'12, he didn't know.
Really? Very interesting. Just sent them an email... Do let me know what you're thinking as I would hate to scoop the bike out from under you!

Anyone else hear of an unclaimed black 800 ABS somewhere in the states?

RollinOnShabbos screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 04:23 AM
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #5492
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos View Post
Really? Very interesting. Just sent them an email... Do let me know what you're thinking as I would hate to scoop the bike out from under you!

Sorry, can't help with finding an unclaimed one, but you have probably figured out by now that your dealer is bullshitting you. I got my 2011 black T800 ABS two weeks ago in New Orleans. They did not have any pre-orders two weeks ago when I bought mine and mine was not pre-ordered by me. I did leave a deposit on it though as it had not come in yet. They told me they have a XC scheduled to arrive that also was not a pre-order. Probably worth calling them as they seem to have T800s arriving that are not ordered. Dealer contact info is on the web site
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #5493
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Sorry, can't help with finding an unclaimed one, but you have probably figured out by now that your dealer is bullshitting you. I got my 2011 black T800 ABS two weeks ago in New Orleans. They did not have any pre-orders two weeks ago when I bought mine and mine was not pre-ordered by me. I did leave a deposit on it though as it had not come in yet. They told me they have a XC scheduled to arrive that also was not a pre-order. Probably worth calling them as they seem to have T800s arriving that are not ordered. Dealer contact info is on the web site
Yeah, he's definitely full of shit. I had a feeling he really just isn't interested in the sale which both sucks and is strange considering I was being an extremely understanding client... Plus, I was feeding HIM info about things like the frame color change which just made the whole thing feel even more wrong.

I'm assuming there's only 1 Triumph dealer in NOLA so I'll definitely shoot them a mail now.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #5494
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Got to ride markbvt's T800XC on Saturday, and I have to say it is an amazing machine. When I am in the market for another bike it is easily the #1 choice right now. Coming from a Sprint 1050 with -1 in the front, I noticed:

1) Amazingly light throttle, very easy to dial in exactly how much throttle you want. The throttle on the Sprint feels remarkably heavy after riding the Tiger.

2) Far more tractable motor than the 1050. At low speeds and on/off throttle transitions, the Sprint can be a bit lurchy (made worse by the smaller front sprocket) but the Tiger shows now signs of this. It really does seem happy in any gear, but it also has an exhilarating top end. It doesn't have as much grunt as the 1050, but the top end makes you forget which bike you are riding. I thought I would miss the 1050 if I got rid of it for a Tiger, but now I'm not so sure.

3) Feels far lighter than the weight would suggest. The tank was nearly empty though, so that probably was a factor. Still a very nimble and flickable bike, and the 21" front wheel wasn't even noticeable.

4) Love the layout of the cockpit. I'm just about 6', with a 31-32" inseam, and the bike was perfect. I could just barely flat foot it (seat in the high position), there was tons of room to the pegs (rubbers out), the reach to the bars was spot on, and standing put me in a very neutral position. Seat was also very comfortable (short ride though, and he has a sheep skin so it's almost like cheating anyway). I have absolutely no complaints and found it one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden.

And then I got back on the Sprint and remembered why I don't want to get rid of it. That means that I either have to wreck the Sprint or pay off my car and save up for awhile, but either way I foresee having this bike in my garage within the next few years.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #5495
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
The reflectors on the front forks of US bikes look hideous. Can they be easily removed? Not fitted on my 800 thank god.
I took mine off. Replaced the bolts with shorter ones from a 2007 Harley I had.

Rear ones really easy with the removal of just one bolt.

Next project is to get rid of those ugly grab handles.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.

Porky screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 06:12 AM
Porky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #5496
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,155
test ride

I put about 20 miles on an 800XC on Saturday, impressions?

Love the motor, it's electric in it's smoothness and torque.

I'd appreciate a bit more legroom, had seat on high and the peg rubbers out but I think I would need the "Tall" seat. Has anyone seen one of these yet?

More heat coming off the motor than my TDM.

I'd have to do something with the handle bars. Higher, straighter and further fwd.

Oil leak evident off the front of the head and something from the rear as well.

Yes, I heard the burble from the exhaust as well, not sure if this bothers me, though I would want the Arrow exhaust or something aftermarket anyway.
Anybody notice this noise with the Arrow?

More later

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #5497
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos View Post

Go for it. I already have a white roadie. I spoke to Tim there at Freedom Powersports. They really stick it to you there with dealer fees.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #5498
andoulli
CAJUN

OK, not read through the whole thread yet, so please excuse if this has already been asked. I did not see my T800 until I picked it up, PDI already done, a few farkels installed, full tank, ready to ride home. I noticed that there was not a single warning sticker on it. Did the dealer remove them, or is the T800 shipped with no warning stickers? I guess I kind of miss the little guys, and the new bike ritual of burning out a hair dryer getting them off.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #5499
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
OK, not read through the whole thread yet, so please excuse if this has already been asked. I did not see my T800 until I picked it up, PDI already done, a few farkels installed, full tank, ready to ride home. I noticed that there was not a single warning sticker on it. Did the dealer remove them, or is the T800 shipped with no warning stickers? I guess I kind of miss the little guys, and the new bike ritual of burning out a hair dryer getting them off.
Your dealer peeled them off. They come with two stickers on the tank and one on the windscreen. Also I don't know why triumph can't use an adhesive for those that just comes off clean.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #5500
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Your dealer peeled them off. They come with two stickers on the tank and one on the windscreen. Also I don't know why triumph can't use an adhesive for those that just comes off clean.
Interesting, i don't have a problem with it, but that has got to be against some law on the books, no? Yikes, if that happened in California the dealer would be fined enough to put the state back in the black!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #5501
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just got off the phone with my dealer. I can pick up my Black Road ABS on the 20th. Its been in 3 weeks already and triumph have called to find out why its not registered yet. (I was out of the country) Then 10 days to get a slot in the workshop for PDI and such.
FWIW I put down £100 in October as a deposit...which the dealers computer system counted as credit and used it to buy farkles for my Scram. Weird.
Hallwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #5502
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddle View Post
I rode the Tiger 800 street version today. Too good and too smooth! No doubt! It definitely makes the BMW feel like a tractor.
I had an opportunity to ride both back to back this past Saturday and that was my thought as well. On pavement the Tiger street was WAY nicer. Didn't get a test ride on the XC so no idea how that comparison would be in the dirt. I loved the Tiger street though and handed my keys over to the salesman to work up the numbers on my 1050 Tiger.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #5503
Fastbrit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I haven't read anything in this thread about this problem. How about it?

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1548.0.html

I have the noise but I quite like it sounds like my old MZ250 I had back in the day
Attached Images

Fastbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #5504
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Go for it. I already have a white roadie. I spoke to Tim there at Freedom Powersports. They really stick it to you there with dealer fees.
Ha, okay, good to know.

As for the "dealer fees" how bad were they? I worked the dealer in Cali down a bunch since I was buying a good number of accessories... Hope I can do the same with this one.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #5505
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Just picked up a white 800 XC Saturday. It was a demo bike with 14 miles on it; it had actually never been demo'd by a customer, only the dealer had ridden it. Anyway, here are my first impressions:

For me (5'5") the windscreen is adequate. Noise isn't too bad, but I'll have to ride in calm air to make a better assessment. This morning on the way to work (~60 mile commute each way) the wind was blowing pretty good, so it's hard to say if I'll replace the stock windscreen or not.

Love that engine! The exhaust note with the Arrow is beautiful music.

Thought I can't reach with both feet, the height of the XC vs. the F800GS is one of the reasons I chose the XC. I like the ergonomics better too. I feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit rather than atop a motorcycle.

I'm not sure if I like the bend of the handlebars or not. They seem a little too wide for me. Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to an Aprilia Futura...time will tell.

I fully understand now why folks call BattleWings "DeathWings." They are absolutely horrible on anything but hardpack dirt roads. They seem to be pretty good on the street, but when I took a telephone road they couldn't handle light gravel or sand. She took a dirt nap because of those @#$% BattleWings!
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote