Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #5536
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Yeah - well...will let you know what happens here. Supposedly being 'shipped' from Georgia this Friday...give or take a few months. Pretty simple test really - it will either be on the truck...or it won't. No guessing involved. The dealer said I had VIN # assigned...I think that means "Vehicle In Nottingham" ? Suffering is the difference between expectations & reality - my reality is 'flexible' - thus no suffereing. KLR just sold, but still got a Uly to sell & my Girlie in the garage (which aint for sale) Just wanted to get down to 2 tigers - will eventually. More will be revealed. Now about those Black / Silver frames - Still curious as to differences...anyone...??
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #5537
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Supposedly, Triumph switched to darker frames because they are easier to powder coat. Easier to hide imperfections.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #5538
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I'm all for substituting quality for thicker paint. Good strategy !! Wish I'd thought of that. Could have avoided the expensive dry rot repairs on my house!
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #5539
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Good news I hope!
My dealer was invoiced for my bike Monday, so it should really be on it's way. I just hope it's a ABS roadie, don't really care about the color anymore.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #5540
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot
The stock seat gets a little "lumpy" after riding for a few hours. It's like I can feel the plastic bits underneath the foam.

Low seat is nice and firm.

I'm going to order the gel seat as soon as I can. Hopefully that will be better for longer rides.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #5541
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Yep, paid my deposit on a yellow 800, non ABS, on March 26. After the first two promised delivery dates were missed (including a change to white for the second one), I was told a yellow 2012, that they provided a VIN for, would be delivered within ten days. The tenth day was yesterday and still no bike at the dealer.

What's interesting is that I'm not sure this delivery problem is limited to the new T800. Triumph USA had an open house event last weekend at most dealerships that was supposed to show off the new models. I was there Saturday and the Triumph portion of the showroom (dealership sells four euro brands) was as empty as I've ever seen it. No Tigers, Speed Triples, Scramblers, Thunderbirds, or Rockets at all. Those they had in stock have been sold and ones that were ordered haven't arrived. Dealer was not happy, as it's hard to show off or sell new models when the bikes he has ordered don't come in. I suspect our delays may be due to the effects of the disaster in Japan as much as poor planning for the T800 intro? Just speculation. I have no proof, but it seems like a possibility to me.

I did get a free tee shirt though.
UPDATE: The dealer called this morning. A white 800 ABS was listed in his inventory by Triumph USA today. He had not ordered this bike, so obviously it wasn't spoken for. He still had no news on my yellow one and asked if I wanted this one as it would definitely be here in the next two days. I said not only yes, but hell yes. Two hours later he called and said he had just unloaded it from the truck and it should be ready for pickup tomorrow.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #5542
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
UPDATE: The dealer called this morning. A white 800 ABS was listed in his inventory by Triumph USA today. He had not ordered this bike, so obviously it wasn't spoken for. He still had no news on my yellow one and asked if I wanted this one as it would definitely be here in the next two days. I said not only yes, but hell yes. Two hours later he called and said he had just unloaded it from the truck and it should be ready for pickup tomorrow.
It's a beautiful white

Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #5543
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Haven't finished the entire thread but thought I'd throw this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
... The fiance really wants the Wee Strom, maybe can talk her into the regular 800. Hopefully she can touch ground on that.
My 3/4" lowered Wee has a higher seat than the T800. In all fairness, it does have the Suzuki gel seat which is a bit higher than the stock Wee seat...
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #5544
outactrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Picked up my Black 800 ABS yesterday Took the long way home, 60 miles and not at all dissapointed. I'll post some pics after my ride this weekend.

The dealer (Myers Motorcycles in Asheville, NC) has two ABS XC's on the floor that are not spoken for. One white and one orange if anyone is interested.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #5545
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
It may not be just looks. It could effect stability if the luggage is not balanced from side to side. If one bag sticks out farther than the other, there would be more drag on that side, especially at speed. When I had my F650 with Vario bags I rode with the luggage telescoped in to the smallest width whenever possible. That reduced drag enough to improve fuel efficiency by 4 mpg.
The dealer I test drove an 800XC at said the luggage rack system has some sort of load/self balancing setup.
Still seems like a waste of space to have the pipe up that high.
The boxes are nice and sound like a Tupperware container being burped when you close them.
I still prefer a top loading box.

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #5546
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Well finally a bit of good news. Thanks to the leads on here I was able to find a Black 800 with ABS down in NOLA and as of today, it's officially mine.

Now the real waiting begins for me. Almost 2 months between now and when I can actually go pick it up.

Still, I'm super happy that I was actually able to secure a bike I pre-ordered MONTHS ago. to
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #5547
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
The dealer I test drove an 800XC at said the luggage rack system has some sort of load/self balancing setup.
You need to find a new dealer. They are on fixed mounts. The only self balancing system is yourself packing equal weight on both sides even though the right side is smaller.
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #5548
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave View Post
Still seems like a waste of space to have the pipe up that high.
The boxes are nice and sound like a Tupperware container being burped when you close them.
I still prefer a top loading box.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/triumph...0-luggage.html
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5549
TriplePete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Oldman View Post
You need to find a new dealer. They are on fixed mounts. The only self balancing system is yourself packing equal weight on both sides even though the right side is smaller.

I think he is referring to Triumph's goofy sway balancing rod under the rear seat. My old Sprint 1050 was similar design - allows panniers to push against each other... i dunno, it's weird. The design might be good for paved roads and sportbikes but i dunno about bumpy trails. The smaller right pannier is a bit of a waste with the muffler there.

The adventure starts when things stop going as planned.

http://fury.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
TriplePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #5550
TriplePete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I ordered an 800XC ABS April 21. Didn't specify color. My white one is ready tomorrow. Picking up this Friday the 13th

The adventure starts when things stop going as planned.

http://fury.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
TriplePete is offline   Reply With Quote