Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #5536
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
When I picked mine up there was some residue on the cylinder, which concerned me. The dealer said it was just an anti-corosion product. They cleaned it off and it hasn't returned. Fortunately it didn't look like yours does. I hope it isn't going to be a problem.
Ahh, unfortunatly not my bike, I was just test riding it...
I think I will wait for the 2012 model, Dark frame and hopefully bolt on passenger peg brackets and a couple more color choices.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #5537
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
When does Triumph typically put the next year's models on their web site?
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5538
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Usually about 6 months after they show up at the dealer.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #5539
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
LoriKTM - Very helpful "tool list" - Thanks, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #5540
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,123
The stock seat gets a little "lumpy" after riding for a few hours. It's like I can feel the plastic bits underneath the foam.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #5541
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Ahh, unfortunatly not my bike, I was just test riding it...
I think I will wait for the 2012 model, Dark frame and hopefully bolt on passenger peg brackets and a couple more color choices.
The "2012" model, ie black frame is already here as far as I'm aware.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #5542
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post
The stock seat gets a little "lumpy" after riding for a few hours. It's like I can feel the plastic bits underneath the foam.

Low seat is nice and firm.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #5543
bdx
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos View Post
He's claiming that no black 800s were made in the 2011 model
Erico Motorsports in downtown Denver has a black xc demo. Saw it, sat on it. What I've been hearing from dealers is that white and black are the only colors they can get. Orange is way off in the misty future.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #5544
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
Erico Motorsports in downtown Denver has a black xc demo. Saw it, sat on it. What I've been hearing from dealers is that white and black are the only colors they can get. Orange is way off in the misty future.

I saw a black XC in Pittsburg and my dealer (Canton, Ohio) had an orange XC which was traded to get my White ABS Std.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #5545
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 287
Alternator 550w or 645w?

Did we ever get a final answer on alternator capacity? The US site doesn't list specs anymore, though the UK site lists alternator capacity at 645w.

645w would be awesome - plenty for powerful aux lights, heated jacket liner and gloves/grips, no worries at all!

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5546
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Oldman View Post
They look nice, where do you buy them?
Depends on where you live...we get ours through MTR Sports....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #5547
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
I saw an orange XC in the flesh at Rockwell a couple weeks ago when I picked up my bike. It looked great! But it was a pre-sold bike.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #5548
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 116
Just put a deposit down on an orange XC, but I'm told it won't be here until August. Which is ok, life's got me pretty busy at the moment and I'm not in a big hurry, as I'm sure this will be the last bike I buy for a long time. After reading about / drooling over the XC since last year, I finally rode the demo last weekend and fell in love. My opinions on the ride don't fall into the 'expert' category by anyone's measure, but I was very impressed with this bike. I got to ride the demo on a good mix of roads, from interstate highway to twisties, but unfortunately no gravel.

I'm 5'9" and pretty well used to one-footing tall dirt bikes, but I ordered the low seat to come with my XC. It was no problem to u-turn this thing on narrow residential streets, poke around a parking lot, and run it up to 80+ in a hurry on an entrance ramp. Coming from a moped, then a 125cc Chinese dual-sport, then a V-Star, then my WR250R, I wasn't sure what to expect from the Tiger when I left the dealer parking lot, having never ridden a large 'adventure' bike. But it felt right, very easy to maneuver. I can see it being a handful on the slippery stuff, but that's probably just because I'm used to throwing around much lighter machines.

The transmission was fine, the clutch was smooth as butter, and the power was nice and smooth as well. Didn't feel jumpy or twitchy, and I never felt afraid of accidentally lifting the front wheel. Just enough power in a bike for me, not too much and not too little. As others in this thread have noted, the Tiger would be fine with a 3-speed, there's enough torque even at the sub-5000 rpm range to keep you moving.

I'm on the fence about an aftermarket pipe like the Arrow, because the stock exhaust note somewhat disappointed me. More whistle than growl. But that's not even a real complaint, and it's also easy to fix. My only other gripe was the loud 'drumbeat' of air passing by my head from over the windscreen. If I tucked my head down a few inches, it was silent. So I ordered the adjustable high screen to go with my XC, and hopefully that fixes it. This will be my first ride with a windscreen, and I'm pretty pumped about it.

Yes, the Tiger costs a lot of money. But it's sooooooooooo purdy, and its a pleasure to ride. I will keep my WR250R as well, and between the two, I'll have everything I need. I don't plan on jumping the XC over logs on gnarly singletrack like the demo videos. It will see its share of gravel and two-track, but most of its use will probably be on pavement. It may sound stupid, but the XC looks better than the road version (in my opinion), and I like spoked / tubed wheels.

So now the waiting game begins... if anyone wants a white one right now, Motoprimo in Lakeville, MN has one sitting on the floor. They had a black one too, but it sold yesterday I think.

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #5549
Moore_Power
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
The "2012" model, ie black frame is already here as far as I'm aware.
In the US there isn't any black frames, Yet.....At least not that I'm aware of. According to my dealer, 2012 models won't be released until July here in the United States.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #5550
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore_Power View Post
In the US there isn't any black frames, Yet.....At least not that I'm aware of. According to my dealer, 2012 models won't be released until July here in the United States.

I've been told by my dealer, Erico Motorsports in Denver, that the black XC that I put a huge deposit on over a month ago will arrive by end of May as a 2012 model, with a black frame. I really hope you are wrong. If I'm waiting this long for a 2011 with the silver frame, and the promises from the dealer don't prove true, I'll be one pissed off customer.

I've purchased 2 other new Triumphs with nowhere near any of this waiting crap. Triumph have really screwed up the launch of this bike.
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )

Deano955 screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 05:59 PM
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote