Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #5581
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I was at the dealer (Transportation Revolution) in New Orleans for my 500 mile service on my T800 and they told me you had called. Glad you were able to work a deal. Glad I was able to help.

Tim
Yeah man, can't thank you enough. They agreed to match the price I had originally settled on, which made me even more happy I stuck with the Tiger.

If you're around the second week in July I'll ride through and buy you a beer.

How is the dealership? I actually had to conduct the whole deal over email and never got a chance to actually talk to anyway. But like I said, it sounds like they're taking good care of me. Happy with them so far.
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #5582
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos View Post
Yeah man, can't thank you enough. They agreed to match the price I had originally settled on, which made me even more happy I stuck with the Tiger.

If you're around the second week in July I'll ride through and buy you a beer.

How is the dealership? I actually had to conduct the whole deal over email and never got a chance to actually talk to anyway. But like I said, it sounds like they're taking good care of me. Happy with them so far.
I don't have any history with this dealer other than my T800 ABS purchase. In fact it was the eminent release of the T800 that got me to drive the 70 miles down to N.O. a few months ago to see the dealer for the first time. I was happy with the set up of my T800. Happy with their installation of the accessories that are available so far. Installed bags, fog lights, heated grips, and center stand. I have had problems with the center stand as have others, so I don't think it is an installation problem.

Anyway, the dealer is in a strange location, middle of downtown New Orleans. Well, seems strange to me. Seems to be owned and operated by enthusiasts, personally owned race bikes on track stands mixed in with Triumphs and Ducatis for sale. Looks like they are doing well. Nice but small service area. They have a dyno room, thought that was cool. So far they have treated me well.

Heck yeah you can buy me a beer.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #5583
klrider99
I know a shortcut........

Oddometer: 28
Hi guys n gals, I'm a relative newbie to the forums and a total newbie to Triumph. Took the plunge and picked up a Tiger 800 XC a little over a week ago at Hermy's in PA. Just now putting a few miles on it and getting 'er sorted out. What a nice, easy to ride machine!

Been looking at luggage for the bike. Didn't care much for the oem panniers, as I prefer top-loading, and am considering the Touratech, or maybe waiting for Jesse to make their's available (they say maybe June-July).

Has anyone fitted his or her Tiger 800 with the T-tech Zega panniers? They are listed in the catalogue but not on the website. I like the Jesse Odyssey panniers, too, have them on the Wee Strom, but Al Jesse says a different pannier will be on the Tiger, or I would just use those.

So, any happy Zega pannier users out there?

I guess patience is the thing most needed for farkling a new model bike. Where do we get that!?
klrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #5584
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 608
Looking for someone who purchased a diiferent seat

If you bought a low or gel seat, I'd like to talk to you about your stock seat. I want to send mine to be rebuilt but can't wait till winter to do it. If you have one laying around please PM me. I'd like to buy, borrow or rent. Thanks in advance,
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #5585
bdx
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Sacrifices

I would like to pose a question to those with experience on these bikes. I am not a serious "off road" rider. I do not do single track but I like taking jeep and atv trails and passes in the mountains. Some of which can get kind of hairy. I am willing to sacrifice some "highway" comfort for better trail performance. I have been looking seriously at the 800XC, but am concerned about what I hear is a lack of low end grunt. When turning one of these heavy, highly geared bikes up a rocky switchback, it is nice to be able to roll the throttle on from idle and climb out. I test drove the F800GS and it "seems" to have that kind of power.

I really like the F800GS but my current beemer has been nothing but trouble and was extremely unhappy with customer service I got. So I don't really want to buy another bmer but will if the Tiger has a serious lack of low end torque. BTW: the KTM Adventure is not an option for me. I rode my buddies and it felt like a monster in comparison to the bmer.

Anyone like to weigh in???

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #5586
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
Demo One
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #5587
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Demo One
Yeah, that question is really hard to answer in a way that would be accurate and satisfy you. We can't really know what your expectations are for low end torque. Anyway, I agree, Demo one.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #5588
RollinOnShabbos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Heck yeah you can buy me a beer.
PM me roughly where you're at and I'll definitely give you a shout.

My plan is to head northward as I break in the bike. Haven't decided if I'll get the 500 mile service back in NOLA or head towards another dealer, perhaps MS. Either way my route and plans are totally unmade at this point. Just the way I like it.
RollinOnShabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #5589
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
...I like taking jeep and atv trails and passes in the mountains. Some of which can get kind of hairy. I am willing to sacrifice some "highway" comfort for better trail performance. I have been looking seriously at the 800XC, but am concerned about what I hear is a lack of low end grunt. ...
The BMW only has 4 lb ft more of max torque and it hits max 2,000 rpm lower. I don't know where it comes on for either bike. As the others have said, give one a test ride. If nothing else, if you know in advance you will be headed into the hard trails you could always change your counter shaft sprocket. One tooth can make a good difference.
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #5590
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 480
+1

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #5591
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Fuel questions

Are the two bars across the filler hole a standard feature on the 800 XC? Other than posing a nuisance, what is their purpose? Has anybody had any problems running 89 octane (US) fuel? The service manager told me I should run premium (91 octane here), but the manual says 87 octane is adequate. I don't want to spend unnecessarily, nor do I want to crater an engine prematurely.
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #5592
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,484
The manual says 87 so use 87. It won't hurt anything. Triumph knows what they designed the bike to run on better than the service manager at your dealer does.

I suspect the bars are there to keep you from jamming the pump nozzle into the fuel pump housing which appears to be just below the bars.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #5593
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
I would like to pose a question to those with experience on these bikes. I am not a serious "off road" rider. I do not do single track but I like taking jeep and atv trails and passes in the mountains. Some of which can get kind of hairy. I am willing to sacrifice some "highway" comfort for better trail performance. I have been looking seriously at the 800XC, but am concerned about what I hear is a lack of low end grunt. When turning one of these heavy, highly geared bikes up a rocky switchback, it is nice to be able to roll the throttle on from idle and climb out. I test drove the F800GS and it "seems" to have that kind of power.

I really like the F800GS but my current beemer has been nothing but trouble and was extremely unhappy with customer service I got. So I don't really want to buy another bmer but will if the Tiger has a serious lack of low end torque. BTW: the KTM Adventure is not an option for me. I rode my buddies and it felt like a monster in comparison to the bmer.

I'll throw out my opinion. I want my XC for exactly the same type of roads you mention but admit I have not had it off road much yet. Just some gravel and have played around on my pitbike mx track. It would be really hard to judge the off-road capability on a street demo. Hopefully more folks will start getting their 800XC's off road and give some detailed impressions, myself included. I do ride/race a lot of single track (but not on the 800XC!). I do think I'll miss some right off idle torque with the XC that a guy probably gets with the 800GS or a thumper. If it's gnarly, I know I'll need to use the clutch. No biggy, my main woods race bike is a 125. The 6 speed trans on the XC is a really sweet box, but if I was the engineer... 1st would be lower (which would tremendously help with rock crawling) and 6th would be just a tick taller. It's a really close ratio box IMHO. In the last month I spent a week riding my KTM in Moab and I think the Tiger could have done about 70% of what we rode out there. I was also on the Broken Arrow jeep trail in Sedona, AZ and really thought I could do everything we were on on the 800XC. All with knobblier tires of course. If I knew I was going to spend a high percentage off road for a trip, I'd think about trying to find a rear sprocket with 2-3 more teeth to get 1st to be a bit lower. A group of us are planning to ride the Trans Wis Adv Trail (TWAT) this summer and I'll probably do it on the 800XC so my buddy can ride my XR-L.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #5594
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Don't think you'll have to sacrifice much ... but keep in mind the 800XC will not be as nimble or able off road as your X Challenge. Probably 100 lb. weight difference.

On steep, loose switch backs the key is momentum. (you've probably already figured this out ) But if you were starting on a steep, loose up hill the F800GS will have more torque right off idle .... but guess what that means? More Wheel Spin.

The Triple requires more revs and a bit more clutch slipping, but will actually spin the wheel LESS then a high torque twin. This is a good thing.

Once moving just 5 or 10 mph, you'll be fine on either bike. But neither one will launch as elegantly as your X Challenge off a dead stop start ... but hey ... different bikes! You won't know how this will work on a demo test ride but you can probably get a good sense of how the Tiger feels in general.

I think getting more off road experience will get you there. That is really key ... no matter the bike. Getting to know the bike, it's weight and balance and getting confident makes all the difference, IMHO.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #5595
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
On steep, loose switch backs the key is momentum. (you've probably already figured this out ) But if you were starting on a steep, loose up hill the F800GS will have more torque right off idle .... but guess what that means? More Wheel Spin.

The Triple requires more revs and a bit more clutch slipping, but will actually spin the wheel LESS then a high torque twin.
Weird rationale that less torque at low RPM is better for slow speeds... which basically makes no sense.

This is not a difficult principle - twin or triple, more low-RPM torque gives you a better shot at walking up steep slopes without clutch slipping. You can compensate to some extent with gearing, but then you compromise the higher-speed cruise.

I think the 800GS would be a better bike in tough terrain, but whether the difference is significant enough to make it the better overall bike would be tough to say and depend on the mission and rider. And how much you're willing to abuse the clutch.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote