Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #5671
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 131
She's a pretty one Tom. Did you get it local? I've been avoiding Janesville as I don't want to see one in person.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #5672
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
She's a pretty one Tom. Did you get it local? I've been avoiding Janesville as I don't want to see one in person.
And if you go, don't let them talk you into a test ride ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #5673
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Yes, the S1000RR has a lean angle gyro and adjusts ABS and traction control intervention based on the mode the bike is in (Rain, Sport, Race, and Slick) and the lean angle. AFAIK, this is the only production bike that uses lean angle as an input to the bike's electronics. (Many bikes have tipover sensors that shut off the engine after an accident, but these are much simpler non-gyro systems designed only to shut the engine down and protect it from damage after a fall.)

The S1000RR ABS and DTC are both switchable (independently) and when in the most aggressive mode (Slick), the ABS system is disabled on the rear only to allow rear brake slides while leaving it in place in the front. Slick mode also turns off the anti-wheelie system for up to five seconds. In terms of street electronic packages, the S1000RR is probably the most sophisticated at the moment.

What you may be remembering on the Yamaha Super Tenere is that the brakes are linked, but if you apply the rear first, the electronics disable the link and can give you rear-only braking. This is to handle things like a steep gravel driveway where you don't want to use the front brake. (As I understand it, the Tiger's brakes are independent, so this isn't an issue with it.) As per Yamaha, the ABS system is permanently on, so I don't think there is any way, at least stock, to disable the rear ABS. However, there are ways to fault the entire ABS system or you can get a kit that adds an ABS off switch.

The Super Tenere's ABS system is controversial as Yamaha has made the claim that it is so good, there is no need to ever switch it off, even in technical dirt riding. It does appear to have progressive application characteristics and cycle times that lessen the need for turning it off, but I personally doubt that Yamaha has re-invented the wheel to the point where there is no situation where it might not be beneficial to have it off. This gets to be a religious discussion, as most ABS discussions tend to devolve to.

- Mark
Mark and Adv Grifter: great conversation and information about ABS.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #5674
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Yep, went to Team Triumph in Janesville. Todd and Darcy are great folks. They've got both the regular 800 and XC demo bikes. I bet they'd sell you one.

I'm just right over here in Cherry Valley, yell at me if you want to come over and take a look. Maybe you can show me some good roads around here.

2013 Super Tenere
2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #5675
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

The Super Tenere's ABS system is controversial as Yamaha has made the claim that it is so good, there is no need to ever switch it off, even in technical dirt riding. It does appear to have progressive application characteristics and cycle times that lessen the need for turning it off, but I personally doubt that Yamaha has re-invented the wheel to the point where there is no situation where it might not be beneficial to have it off. This gets to be a religious discussion, as most ABS discussions tend to devolve to.

- Mark
The YAMAHA system does have the ability to predict expected deceleration and compare it to actual. It has not removed the necessity to switch it off in extreme situations but many owners have decided not to bother with the off switch, after trying it in the real world as it now can probably do a better job than a few riders on a bg ADV bike could do.

It has just moved the goal posts. It's also very smooth in its action but you can not walk the S10 on water. All I have read from the owners is mainly the surprise, and disbelief that you can just haul on the front brake and not end up on your ass. That doesn't mean that certain 6 1/2 Foot tall Dakar pros wouldn't decide it needs switching off though. I am sure they would.

YAMAHA have decided to take the impending Euro regulations and designed around that. I assume that means that if the regs all come to naught they can just install an off switch. The power output of the bike is also closely aligned to the new regs.

Most of the target demographic will be happy with the way it is now though.

I assume also that the Newer GS' will be getting an S1000R style system as well.

At present I would put YAMAHA's system as better then the current GS but a bit behind the S1K. How useful the full S1K style system would be on a big ADV bike I don't know.

All good for the segment though.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-14-2011 at 04:49 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #5676
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrat View Post
A thing of beauty! Congratulations.
Congrats Tom.
Looks mighty clean for riding in the rain today. You didn't wash it did you?

Hope to see her soon.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5677
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
You've seen plenty of pics of a white T800 by now, so I thought I'd show you (crappy cell phone pic) what I rode mine 140 miles to get today.

Coconut cream pie.

Picked the bike up Thursday afternoon. Managed to sneak away yesterday for about 40 miles worth of riding on what is normally a six mile round trip to the office supply store. Then today added another 140 to get pie. And yes, I completely agree that these bikes are brilliant. I may need to add some bar risers, but not totally convinced yet. Otherwise, couldn't be happier with it.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #5678
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Dadgum, you guys are killin' me with all the ride reports, i keep trying to figure out how to come up with the moola, sell blood? or myself to little old ladies( that part from Kingpin, however come to mind, the one where Woody is curled around the toilet after banging his landlady) i guess i will hang on to my 1998 steamer

I test rode one a couple a weeks back, an Black XC, loved it felt very light, wonder how it would do as a round the world bike
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #5679
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killboy View Post
Dropped off the XC this morning for its 500 mile service. Absolutely faultless, and running brilliantly.......

That black frame, black body look fantastic. Way better looking than the silver frame.

Now I know what mine should look like. If only it would friggen get here!
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #5680
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I got mine today! ( ABS road)
The dealer didn't finish the PDI untill just before 6, and it started rainig shortly after that so I didn't ride it much. I know, its an adv bike and it's going to get dirty, but not before my wife see's it!

So far I agree with nearly everyone here, it is one fantastic motorcycle except for the screen. I get lots of wind noise from 40mph up, but minimal buffeting. The adj acreen bracket wasn't in stock so I may just take it off for now.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #5681
TriplePete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314

The adventure starts when things stop going as planned.

http://fury.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
TriplePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #5682
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Yep, went to Team Triumph in Janesville. Todd and Darcy are great folks. They've got both the regular 800 and XC demo bikes. I bet they'd sell you one.

I'm just right over here in Cherry Valley, yell at me if you want to come over and take a look. Maybe you can show me some good roads around here.
There's a good reason I've been avoiding Janesville.. And you showed a photo of it!!

If possible, I wouldn't mind getting a chance to look at it up close and talk to you about what you like and don't like about your new scoot???
Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #5683
wanderlust1967
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Some pics from the other side of the pond

Hi everyone:
Some pics from my last solo ride to Cabo de Gata, in Spain. 5000 km so far and still impressed. Much better than expected in the dirt, but Metzeler Karoos are mandatory. Its like having a second bike.
Still wondering why white ones are faster

wanderlust1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #5684
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
There's a good reason I've been avoiding Janesville.. And you showed a photo of it!!

If possible, I wouldn't mind getting a chance to look at it up close and talk to you about what you like and don't like about your new scoot???
PM me and come on over or I can meet you somewhere.

2013 Super Tenere
2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #5685
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Temptation, Temptation, Temptation.........

Wow! Have been reading this thread. Seems everyone is impressed so far.
And here I was thinking about a BMW F800GS. You guys are tempting me.
Is Jainesville open on Monday? Of course not!