Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #5671
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Yes, I would agree that fifteen minutes is not long enough ... It is a start, but still some serious work to be done to both bed in the valves and then the rings ... I like the break in process actually ... I just finished the first 500 miles and I am beginning to miss it already ...

PaulSF screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 11:06 AM
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #5672
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Anyone read the other thread about fuel mileage? Seems people are reporting around 45 mpg (US). I am a little dissapointed it's not better. Oh well, the triple is an amazing engine, there has to be some trade off I guess.

I really like the fact that I can go sometimes almost 250 miles on the measly 4.2 gallons in my F800GS... it does get great mileage (55-65 depending on speed and elevation).

If I were buying today it would be a very hard choice between the two bikes.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #5673
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28 View Post
Anyone read the other thread about fuel mileage? Seems people are reporting around 45 mpg (US). I am a little dissapointed it's not better. Oh well, the triple is an amazing engine, there has to be some trade off I guess.

I really like the fact that I can go sometimes almost 250 miles on the measly 4.2 gallons in my F800GS... it does get great mileage (55-65 depending on speed and elevation).

I am not buying today either, but I was three weeks ago and it was not a difficult choice for me. Actually I have a local BMW dealer, and the Triumph dealer is 70 miles away, still the Triumph won hands down for me.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #5674
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Cool2 Ride to the Redwoods

Another 1200 miles and nothing but smiles.
A ride that would have had my rear end crying on my KTM 950, was a dream on the Tiger 800xc. Next ride will be knobby enabled, but for a get to know you ride it was sublime.
Attached Images

forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #5675
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28 View Post

I am sure that I would get better gas mileage if I could let it loaf along ... But is is sooo much fun from 6 to 9 k ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #5676
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I am surprised at the mpg so far reported. My '99 Legend with carbs gets 40-45 US mpg nearly every tank, and it weighs about the same I believe. I would think fuel injection would give better figures? My 899 triple is 69 HP at 8000 rpms versus the T800's 799 triple output of 94 HP(?), so perhaps that is the difference. I do know that different cams with different overlaps can affect fuel mileage significantly, so perhaps the detuning Triumph chose for this application was designed with priorities other than just mpg?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #5677
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post

Keep it coming... Excellent read
Updated! http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=10
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5678
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice bags ... I like the tank bag best. Nice size.

The loop bag looks very lightly loaded. I'd like to see how it works on a rough road when jam packed the way most end up doing going on the road with camping gear. Seems like you'd have to balance the load left to right or risk things shifting and sagging on one side. These bags look good for clothes and light, unbreakable stuff. But on longer, more serious rides I'm not sure how things would survive dumped down in one of the low hangin lobes. Also, when heavy, the side lobes will most likely put Pressure on the pipe and shield. OEM Stainless pipes get very very hot. I've set a few bags on fire .... so that's why I ask.

I've melted A LOT of plastic through the design and engineering process with all of our saddlebags. That's why they come with a tidy stainless steel heat shield that allows air to pass between the bag and the pipe which eliminates melting. (Some bikes require two)

Serious rides? Like a couple thousand miles of western US off road or perhaps 4500 kms of Africa? Self contained, unsupported back country riding is what Giant Loop is all about but we've also spent many weeks on the pavement too. 'Safely' testing our gear well over 100 mph has been part of the criteria as well. In the owners manual for our F800 GS it states,
"do not exceed 80 mph when using hard luggage as the adverse handling of the machine creates a dangerous situation" or something to that effect and it's true. A typical hard box with all the racks and hardware weighs around 40 pounds - empty. Couple that with the cantilevered location far away from the bike's center of gravity and it's no wonder the motorcycle handles poorly for the majority of riders.

Certainly, there's a case for hard boxes, we just thought it might interest some of the more adventurous out there that there is a bomber solution that will allow you to carry your camping outfit and still enjoy excellent handling of this fine new machine!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #5679
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Yep maxed it out before leaving. While solo I left it 30 clicks in (max). An extra observation is that the rebound damping is a bit short fully loaded. That being said it never felt dangerous. I wouldn't expect a rear shock to work for both a 130lb guy and two up + luggage. Much like on my Street Triple we will address this with an aftermarket unit. Thus far though we are very happy with the bike.
FYI, there's a guy named Jay in Boise, calls himself Sasquatch Suspension, who rebuilds OE shocks and adds a pressure port so they can be inexpensively rebuilt in the future. He did a great job on my Wee's shock, complete rebuild & revalve, heavier spring and added a floating piston between the gas & oil for ~$450. If I'd known about him a few years ago, I might have kept my T1050.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #5680
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I am surprised at the mpg so far reported. My '99 Legend with carbs gets 40-45 US mpg nearly every tank, and it weighs about the same I believe. I would think fuel injection would give better figures? My 899 triple is 69 HP at 8000 rpms versus the T800's 799 triple output of 94 HP(?), so perhaps that is the difference. I do know that different cams with different overlaps can affect fuel mileage significantly, so perhaps the detuning Triumph chose for this application was designed with priorities other than just mpg?
Your Legend is the original 885 cc motor, it's heavier, at over 500 lbs. I had a '95 Tiger (same motor) which typically returned about 38 to 40 MPG.

The new Tiger 800 should get better fuel economy despite it's 90 odd HP, IMHO. But there it is.

According to Simon Warburton from Triumph, they put the Tiger 800 in a relative mild state of tune to suit adventure travel use, stressing ultimate reliability over outright performance. (That will change in future models) IIRC, the Tiger 800 will run on piss poor fuel of very low octane. This is a plus for a real travel bike and both BMW and KTM have had switchable ECU's for years to allow low octane fuel.

Triumph could have upped compression quite a bit, used a lighter flywheel and probably used more radical cams and got another 10 to 15 HP out of the motor. That would have cost even more fuel economy I expect and probably hurt drive-a-bility off road and in City traffic. The other concern is compliance with ever stricter Euro III/ IV regulations and EPA/CARB regs.

If nothing else, BMW have done really well regards fuel economy. But the bikes and technology are rarely ready for prime time and it means they create more Lemons than any other OEM, have more warranty claims and more recalls. But when things work ... they work good.

Even the R1200GS gets close to 50 MPG. I know they have some proprietary software and additional equipment in the BMW F.I. systems to help achieve this. Wake up Triumph!

Fuel is roughly $8 to $9 usd a US gallon in the UK and most of EU.
One would think fuel economy would be more of a concern at Triumph. With fuel in the USA headed for $5/ US gallon, fuel economy will become more and more of a selling point. 30 mpg, 600cc sport bikes will soon be OUT.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #5681
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
After 10 refils my fuel consumption averages at 51 mpg (imperial) 42.6 US
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #5682
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687795
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #5683
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,636
Laugh

Nice pic, but the red TA is gonna get all the attention.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #5684
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Absolutely, I agree.

Does anybody know where I can buy a 15 front sprocket on this side of the pond? I'm looking for Renthal part #289-525-15. I don't care what brand, that's the only one I've found, but it's in the UK.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #5685
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Yea, 500 lb., 45 HP vintage bikes always draw a crowd!
Looks like the boys down there have already voted with their wallets; I see THREE V-stroms lined up there.

Any bets at least one of the V guys will buy a Tiger 800 in the next year?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote