Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #5821
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm thinking the dealer may not be purging the system properly or completely. On the 1050 there are a couple steps to do this right. If you don't ... it could have trapped air somewhere in the system. I don't think it's a physical blockage ... as it would overheat idling and at low speed. I'm guessing air in the system.

Drain coolant ... start over and add new coolant and do all proper bleeding procedures. There is a little bleed valve on the bike and it is part of routine for refilling with coolant, IIRC.

Good luck.
If it's one of the silver framed "1st edition" 800s it'll have a brass bleed screw on the top left hose.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #5822
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
I'm thinking the dealer may not be purging the system properly or completely. On the 1050 there are a couple steps to do this right. If you don't ... it could have trapped air somewhere in the system. I don't think it's a physical blockage ... as it would overheat idling and at low speed. I'm guessing air in the system.

Drain coolant ... start over and add new coolant and do all proper bleeding procedures. There is a little bleed valve on the bike and it is part of routine for refilling with coolant, IIRC.

Good luck.
It's definetly not air in the system and yes I'm familiar with the brass bleed screw on the top radiator hose.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #5823
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Good advice ... with one caveat. I've never changed oil on a Tiger 800 but I'm guessing it uses some sort of one time use washer or Copper washer under the drain bolt....
While your concerns are technically valid, literally thousands of oil drain washers are re-used every day and the vast majority never leak a drop. Worst case, the leak is typically very minor.

For an oil change, I'd certainly recommend a new one, but to just drain a few ozs of oil, I wouldn't let not replacing the washer deter one from using the drain plug. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that it will re-seal fine.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #5824
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
While your concerns are technically valid, literally thousands of oil drain washers are re-used every day and the vast majority never leak a drop. Worst case, the leak is typically very minor.

For an oil change, I'd certainly recommend a new one, but to just drain a few ozs of oil, I wouldn't let not replacing the washer deter one from using the drain plug. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that it will re-seal fine.

- Mark

Every time I change my oil I tell myself I'm going to get a new washer...after 20,000 miles and 6-7 oil changes on my Speed Triple 1050 there is still no oil leak from using the stock washer. I just flip it everytime to make myself feel better:oP
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #5825
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I haven't posted here about my overheating problem on my T800R and thought I'd share. I seem to be the only one that's had a problem.
Symptoms seem to indicate a lack of coolant flow.
Maybe the impeller on the water pump isn't working?

WAG.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #5826
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
I was at the Triumph Demo event this morning in Akron, Ohio. I rode the 800xc. The 15-20 minute loop totally sucked. Other than the intersections, we only encountered 1 real curve. The posted limit on the whole route was 35 mph. WTF kind of demo loop is that? At the beginning of the ride, as we were crawling through the parking lot, I was standing on the pegs to assess the standup ergos and general balance (trials slow). I was quickly "advised" by the one of the staff members that standing was not allowed. WTF, are you serious??

I was not overly impressed with the suspension. It would soak up the broken pavement reasonably well, although it felt a little harsh on some of the bigger sharp edge stuff (potholes). Somehow I managed to drag the toe of my boot on a right hand intersection turn. That was a real shocker considering I thought this bike had more clearance than my DL650, although my suspension is heavily modified. The shock preload must have been dialed all the way out (I weight 220 lbs), or the shock spring is simply too light. There was a good amount of dive under braking, similar to a KTM Adventure. I suspect the fork springs are pretty light (like most stock suspensions). There was way more dive than my modified DL650 forks.

On the plus side, I thought the bike felt very light and turn in was extremely easy. This was the best thing about the bike, IMO. The ergos were decent, although the seat has quite a slant when set to the tall position, pushing my junk into the seat and tank The seat height could have been higher for me still (I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseem).

The motor is very smooth, even at very low revs. It has a lot of low end torque, but I was shocked how docile it was in the mid-range. I guess I expected mid-range power delivery closer to my old 950 Adventure or FZ1. The power delivery would be great for offroad riding, but it's not inspiring as a street bike. I can't really comment on the top end, thanks to the super shitty, traffic laden, demo route. Perhaps my opinion of the motor would change if I had an opportunity to wind it out a bit more.

There was a rattling noise from the motor or exhaust upon deceleration. I've read about this from other users. Wonder what's going on with that?? The exhaust note was very quiet. I bet it would sound sweet with an aftermarket can

OhioPT screwed with this post 05-20-2011 at 01:25 PM
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #5827
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 602
There's a graphite framed black XC for sale, on the floor, at Team Triumph in Janesville, WI. It's the first black framed 800 I've heard of in this part of the world. Who wants it?

Sorry, I forgot to ask if it has ABS.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #5828
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I was eagerly waiting for the launch all throughout the prolonged hype period and was glad to finally try both models at a dealer demo day a few weeks back. Due to getting lost I got a an extra 30 mins on the road version, but only a short ride on the XC. I absolutely loved it and a Tiger 800 is #1 choice for my next bike.

Road version owners, did the front suspension soften as it broke in?

The XC version has longer travel, but no adjustability up front right?

Basically, if I'm mostly (+90%) on tarmac, is the front suspension difference a good reason to pick the XC instead?

The road version felt quite harsh, the XC seemed plusher but with a bit more brake dive.

Given the rather nice price of the bike, I suppose they had to save it somewhere, but the non-adjustability of the front end is a bit disappointing.
Ola M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #5829
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I have 1K miles on my Roadie and it seems less harsh. I also backed out the preload all the way and I added the Triumph bags which I think helps.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #5830
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I have 1K miles on my Roadie and it seems less harsh.
Perhaps all your teeth are rattled out? Good to know. Aftermarket will catch up anyway, it seems to sell pretty well.

Race Tech didn't much approve of the 1050s setup:

Quote:
Fork
The stock fork cartridge on the Tiger is one of the worst designs we've ever seen. The forks cavitate massively and because they push a huge amount of fluid through tiny ports, they are extremely harsh.

Our solution for the forks is the G2-R Fork Gold Valve Kit. The outstanding kit completely replaces the stock compression and rebound mechanisms and in turn makes the forks work awesome. With the G2-R Gold Valve Kit and the proper High Performance Forks Springs installed, the Tiger is completely transformed.

Shock
The rear shock is made of high quality material. The problem is setup. Once the shock Gold Valve Kit and proper spring are installed the shocks performance is as good or better than anything in the world. guaranteed!

For the shock we offer the new G3-LD Shock Gold Valve Kit along with a HP Rear Shock Spring!
http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/triumphtiger.HTML

The 800 isn't in their database just yet, I'm sure it will be soon enough. But da-yum do they need a team of commando web designers to sort out that mess of a site.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #5831
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I don't have enough mileage to know on the forks to know for sure, but they seem to be breaking in quickly.

For me, it was an easy choice rd or xc. I don't want anything to do with tube type tires on a bike that is going to see very little dirt use. When you get a puncture with a tubliss tire it's going to go down slowly, and you can put a plug in it and keep going. On a tube tire, a nail will cause it to go flat very quickly, and often you will have a torn tube. That means carring extra tubes, and having to remove the wheel and dismount the tire for repair. If I was really going to do alot of off rd I'd reconsider, but I have a D/S bike for that.

I traveled plenty of dirt rds with my girlie which had tubliss tires, and it worked just fine. I expect the 800 will be even beter with it's lighter weight and better suspention.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #5832
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
How could I get this over to seattle???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
There's a graphite framed black XC for sale, on the floor, at Team Triumph in Janesville, WI. It's the first black framed 800 I've heard of in this part of the world. Who wants it?

Sorry, I forgot to ask if it has ABS.
]

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #5833
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Picked this up today:

2012 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #5834
Ola M
Gnarly Adventurer

Good point on the tubes TooBadBrad. Sells me on the road version. And congrats Meles meles! That lovely color is the only thing that still makes me lust for the XC. I wonder what Triumph has planned for next year...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #5835
Atticum
Seeking Arete

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Picked this up today:

2012 Tiger 800 XC ABS

NICE!!!
Atticum is offline   Reply With Quote