Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #5986
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
So who, after owning now, doesnt like their tiger? Been trying to keep on eye on this thread but been working a lot.
I bought a T800 four weeks ago tomorrow. It's been in the shop going on 3 weeks trying to fix an overheating problem. If I ever get it back or hopefully Triumph will do the right thing and give me a new one I'll let you know. I seem to be the only guy in the world that has had a serious problem.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #5987
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Hey ZZ4Blazer,
Your explanation is also my explanation for getting this bike. I've actually ordered mine already. I'm patiently waiting.
Lion
You guys are killing me. I cant afford mine...yet But Im determined to get one. I just wanna grab some gear, hop on, and ride west! I live in ne ohio, and farthest west Ive been is north west OHIO.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5988
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I bought a T800 four weeks ago tomorrow. It's been in the shop going on 3 weeks trying to fix an overheating problem. If I ever get it back or hopefully Triumph will do the right thing and give me a new one I'll let you know. I seem to be the only guy in the world that has had a serious problem.
Yeah man it seems like you caught a bad break. I'm guessing some sort of casting or manufacturing defect resulting in a blocked coolant passage somewhere causing your problem. Hope they get to the bottom of it soon and get you taken care of one way or another.

I know it sucks for you but at the same time I'm glad to see that it sucks only for you, know what I mean?
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #5989
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
And hopefully yours has a casting problem or something else truly unique, that is found and fixed or replaced quickly (or at least soon), but does not lead to any larger problem that will be common for the rest of us with Tigers. Good luck! (Seriously) Ken

"The Jerk" and I had the same idea at the same time, I hit enter and see his post, interesting... Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #5990
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
So who, after owning now, doesnt like their tiger?
Apparently this guy....
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=triumph
Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #5991
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
lowered exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
I don't know the specifics but as I picture this mod, it would bend the pipe enough to let the exhaust can sit below any luggage. (Maybe slightly higher than this picture)/Users/paul/Desktop/Picture 8.png

I would take the bike to a shop and have them cut/bend or shape the exhaust and fabricate a different hanger bracket location.

Right now I am leaning toward the remus carbon exhaust just for simplicity, but if I had more shop skills would do the relocation. Just raise it slightly to allow shallow water crossings.

Paul
Picture didn't show. I'll try again.

Paul
Attached Images

wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #5992
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
One last luggage option

Previously sent a couple ideas I ma tossing around for luggage. The easiest of all would be to modify one of the light Givi racks designed for the street triple.
(See below) Would need to re-bend the lower support arm that goes to the foot peg bracket to suit the new Tiger, but these did work well on my Street Triple.

Paul
Attached Images

wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #5993
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
So who, after owning now, doesnt like their tiger?
Not me! Nearing the end of a two-week trip, now have over 5000 miles on my XC, and it just keeps getting better. Fantastic bike. My only complaint is the seat -- it's comfy at first, but eventually the foam compresses too much and leaves my ass hurting.

The XC excels at backroad and highway riding alike, and devours twisties. It's been a lot of fun on this trip. Ride report to come.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #5994
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
2 weeks in and I'm happy. The only complaint I have is common to all bikes of this type, and that is the noisy windscreen.
Compared to my 05 Girlie, I'd give the edge to the 800 in everything. the 800 is smoother, shifts better, handles better, ect.
But was it worth the 7K price difference? Only if the ABS saves my a** someday. It makes me realize how good the 955's are. I think I could have upgraded the suspension on mine and been very happy, but still wouldn't have had ABS, and new is always nice!
I use this bike mainly on the road, and likley would feel differently if I used it more off rd.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #5995
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 550
Micatechs here and on

After some concern about getting the mounts, they are here and on the bike. The quality is great and the people (Sue especially) have been very helpfull. I didn't even realize that the SW-Motech brkts were quick release. No biggy for me because they will most likely always be on the bike. Very pleased with the product and the service.

'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #5996
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
After some concern about getting the mounts, they are here and on the bike. The quality is great and the people (Sue especially) have been very helpfull. I didn't even realize that the SW-Motech brkts were quick release. No biggy for me because they will most likely always be on the bike. Very pleased with the product and the service.
Oooo! My silver 8" and 10" get here Friday . What position do you have the cases mounted in?

Dmarino screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 05:45 PM
Dmarino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #5997
The Jerk

Quote:

Comic Sans deleted for sanity.

Now, what sort of mount have you got going on for your top case? I am dying to get a top case mounted but it seems like Motech is dragging on getting their top rack to the U.S.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #5998
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
Oooo! My silver 8" and 10" get here Friday . What position do you have the cases mounted in?
I guess you could call it low rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Comic Sans deleted for sanity.

Now, what sort of mount have you got going on for your top case? I am dying to get a top case mounted but it seems like Motech is dragging on getting their top rack to the U.S.
I'll take some pics of what I made and post soon.
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #5999
The Jerk

Quote:

I'll take some pics of what I made and post soon.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #6000
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
(Exclusive spy photos!)

The hubby and I were lucky enough to have our Tigers used for the prototype Jesse luggage system. We've been riding our bikes to work this week, with bags mostly empty. Can't even tell they are there once you are riding. It's a bit of an adaption for me getting on and off the bike with luggage. This will be my first bike with hard bags. We have a pavement/dirt camping trip planned, and we will post an update on how everything works out.

For those familiar with the Jesse luggage, you know how well it is made and how slick everything works. 5" adjustment travel (forward/back) to get the weight balanced right where you need it. Plus a bit of tilt adjustment as well. Matching locks. Top loading!

These are the 10" Odyssey bags.

Overall width on the Tiger is about 37". You can bring them in another inch closer if you have an aftermarket pipe. (Stock pipe on ours)

And a very cool touch on the mounting bracket:

The mounting brackets are painted prototypes, so I'm sure the final powdercoated versions will be awesome! Plus, it looks like you could flop over a set of soft bags and tie them to the mounting brackets pretty easily.

I don't know the what the going production price will be for the bags and brackets, but I believe Al Jesse said he would be ready for orders in early June. http://www.jesseluggage.com/

Oh, and he's also going to be making a top plate system for the rear rack, and probably a couple other nifty things for the new Tiger as well!
The Jesse bags are the best we think and you can fit a roto pax on both panniers on the back...really handy when you need two extra gallons of gas at times! great job AL!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote