Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #6001
Smallj
Dirty Traitor

Oddometer: 9
I had an 800ST for 18000 miles before I bought the Tiger 800. Even though I was on the ST, the F800 engine was better suited for off road work and the smooth triple 800 is super nice on the road.

Over the years I've put a collective 100,000 miles on various BMW bikes and never had a mechanical breakdown. Resale (trade in) has always been very reasonable. The Tiger is the first non BMW I've owned since I traded my '85 Magna in for an '01 R1100R. I bought the roadie and I'm a big fan, not sure the engine is one I'd want off road though, it's much too good on it.

If Triumph comes out with a 800R race bike complete with ABS and TC, maybe I will replace my S1000RR... The triple is soooo good!
Smallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #6002
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
First day:

Breaking in slowly...

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #6003
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
You guys are killing me. I cant afford mine...yet But Im determined to get one. I just wanna grab some gear, hop on, and ride west! I live in ne ohio, and farthest west Ive been is north west OHIO.
NE Ohio?
I lived for many years in Columbus, when I went to school (OSU) and actually worked at the University for several years.
This bike would do well in the Hocking Hills...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #6004
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
this does wonders to any bike it's used on
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2468/.f

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBadBrad View Post
2 weeks in and I'm happy. The only complaint I have is common to all bikes of this type, and that is the noisy windscreen.
Compared to my 05 Girlie, I'd give the edge to the 800 in everything. the 800 is smoother, shifts better, handles better, ect.
But was it worth the 7K price difference? Only if the ABS saves my a** someday. It makes me realize how good the 955's are. I think I could have upgraded the suspension on mine and been very happy, but still wouldn't have had ABS, and new is always nice!
I use this bike mainly on the road, and likley would feel differently if I used it more off rd.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #6005
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
nice micas.
another side loading option...the bomber pelican cases.
http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000363
if you go with the 1550 pelican, caribou has drop in case liners.
you can pack your clothes seperately in the hotel/tent and then drop em in and go. much nicer imo then thing disapearing at the bottom of a top loader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
After some concern about getting the mounts, they are here and on the bike. The quality is great and the people (Sue especially) have been very helpfull. I didn't even realize that the SW-Motech brkts were quick release. No biggy for me because they will most likely always be on the bike. Very pleased with the product and the service.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #6006
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Comic Sans deleted for sanity.

Now, what sort of mount have you got going on for your top case? I am dying to get a top case mounted but it seems like Motech is dragging on getting their top rack to the U.S.
Hepco & Becker with their Junior 45 Litre box

KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #6007
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
NE Ohio?
I lived for many years in Columbus, when I went to school (OSU) and actually worked at the University for several years.
This bike would do well in the Hocking Hills...
Wow quite a move. Yep NE ohio, akron to be exact. And farthest west Ive been has been toledo. Ive always wanted to go west on a bike.
ZZ4Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #6008
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Wow quite a move. Yep NE ohio, akron to be exact. And farthest west Ive been has been toledo. Ive always wanted to go west on a bike.
Blazer first off where you live has some of the best riding roads around they don't call it "the switzerland of ohio" for nothing. Second your 5 hours from some more of the greatest roads around the "blue ridge parkway" is one that's comes to mine. Take a weekend and go for it.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #6009
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
Is it safe to come back....

I had decided to wait a year or so before getting a new Tigger but a recent life event had me re-thinking (life really is short....) so I went to the dealer yesterday to see what the scoop is.

I want an orange non-ABS XC and, of course, they didn't have one in stock (which I figured would be the case) and they are looking into getting me one as soon as they can.

Got to test ride a 'streetie', the motor is a real peach. Been riding triples for a while now so I figured I wouldn't be too impressed with the motor - I was wrong. Super smooth, pulls from way down low with no jerkiness at all. I did find there was a bit of jerkiness at low throttle - could be I just need to get used to it and/or adjust the throttle cables. I did hear the infamous 'tinny' sound on the over-run - got to say it sounds horrible so I hope there is a solution to that. At first I thought the whole bike was huge but then I figure I'd just hopped off my XR so of course it felt bigger. Soon got used to it and it really is very flickable - did I mention the motor is a gem ? Think I did.... Screen was also too low - if I dipped my head just a couple inches it got a lot better so a new/adjustable screen would be much better.

Anyway, I am sold and I am now on the hunt for an orange, non-ABS XC.

They also had an XC there with the bags (white and ABS so I wasn't interested) and I have to say, those bags felt very plasticky and cheap - I wasn't thinking of getting the bags anyway but they really didn't feel at all substantial.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #6010
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I have had integral cacses on BMWs, vario cases on BMWs, and aluminum boxes on BMWs, and Givi V35s and monokey cases on Japanese motorcycles and the Triumph bags feel every bit as sturdy as those offerings if not more. I'm not sure it has been mentioned here how well they seal, it can be difficult pulling the lid open at times if the temp. drops because of the vacuum that develops. I also find the attachment mechanism functions easily. They are extremely easy to remove from the motorcycle. Everyone has different criteria for judging luggage. For me it is pretty important that my luggage be keyed to the bike. Is it possible to key aftermarket bags to a Triumph?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #6011
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
this does wonders to any bike it's used on
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2468/.f
Amen to that. I've been testing the T800 Madstad windshield for a month (2,000 miles) now and no way I could go back to the OE shield.
Took a 1,000 road trip last week, it transformed the Tiger into a great touring bike.

I believe he has started shipping.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #6012
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallj View Post
I had an 800ST for 18000 miles before I bought the Tiger 800. Even though I was on the ST, the F800 engine was better suited for off road work and the smooth triple 800 is super nice on the road.

Over the years I've put a collective 100,000 miles on various BMW bikes and never had a mechanical breakdown. Resale (trade in) has always been very reasonable. The Tiger is the first non BMW I've owned since I traded my '85 Magna in for an '01 R1100R. I bought the roadie and I'm a big fan, not sure the engine is one I'd want off road though, it's much too good on it.

If Triumph comes out with a 800R race bike complete with ABS and TC, maybe I will replace my S1000RR... The triple is soooo good!
Come on gang, give this guy a great big HALLELUJAH!

Regards, Paul
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #6013
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
Micatech top case rack (prototype)

Additional photos can be found here:

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,2168.0.html
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #6014
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I have had integral cacses on BMWs, vario cases on BMWs, and aluminum boxes on BMWs, and Givi V35s and monokey cases on Japanese motorcycles and the Triumph bags feel every bit as sturdy as those offerings if not more. I'm not sure it has been mentioned here how well they seal, it can be difficult pulling the lid open at times if the temp. drops because of the vacuum that develops. I also find the attachment mechanism functions easily. They are extremely easy to remove from the motorcycle. Everyone has different criteria for judging luggage. For me it is pretty important that my luggage be keyed to the bike. Is it possible to key aftermarket bags to a Triumph?
If that is one of your key (sorry...pun very much intended ) criteria then I can see how you like the Triumph bags. Me? I don't care about that and even leaving that fact aside, they still felt flimsy. I have a Givi top box and to me, they seem both more sturdy and they seem to be able to flex - the Triumph bags didn't.

YMMV....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #6015
NewWorldMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Amen to that. I've been testing the T800 Madstad windshield for a month (2,000 miles) now and no way I could go back to the OE shield.
Took a 1,000 road trip last week, it transformed the Tiger into a great touring bike.

TampaJim,

I am 6'1 and getting killed by turbulence although I figure some of it can be blamed on my nolan n90 modular helmet which is noiser than I had hoped for. Does the windshield mount to already existing areas of the bike or does it require me to drill new ones to mount it?

Thanks, Im desperate for a solution and if anyone has any experience with it or other screens for a tall rider.