Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #6121
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
I really want to pull the trigger on a black frame 800 road. Aside from peoples issues here with overheating the only worry I have is the lack of suspension adjustment on the 800. I'd like to be able to stiffen it up a bit for riding canyons hard or carrying a passenger.

Are you aware that you can adjust the spring pre-load? I cranked it up yesterday and had the wife on the back. She said it wasn't bad but likes the RT better.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #6122
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
I really want to pull the trigger on a black frame 800 road. Aside from peoples issues here with overheating
One person's. It does not seem to be a widespread issue at all, no one else has complained of overheating issues besides that one person.

Quote:
the only worry I have is the lack of suspension adjustment on the 800. I'd like to be able to stiffen it up a bit for riding canyons hard or carrying a passenger.
I think you'll find it plenty stiff enough as is. The rear is adjustable for preload as well, which help with your wanting to stiffen it up for passenger transport.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #6123
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
thanks....now want to hear a secret....why I have been lurking here even though I ride a Beemer....check this out...and don't throw stones...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693154
Nice Soph9, really nice!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #6124
ttfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
t8 vs f8

MCN review!! unbelievable

.... Finally someone said it: Tiger got the edge off road over the f800....!!! !

Can somebody please send this article to the "Parallel Universe"?????
Ok... so I am the first one throwing stones to our beemer pals!!!
ttfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #6125
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Nice Soph9, really nice!

thanks!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #6126
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
One person's. It does not seem to be a widespread issue at all, no one else has complained of overheating issues besides that one person.

There's a big thread on the tiger800Uk forum about engine heat. I put in my 2 cents. I don't think it's any worse then any other water cooled bike.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #6127
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
There's a big thread on the tiger800Uk forum about engine heat. I put in my 2 cents. I don't think it's any worse then any other water cooled bike.
Words have meaning. The op said "issues with overheating" Now you are talking about engine heat. Which is it?
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #6128
ttfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
ADVriders are ADVriders... I respect all bikers disregarding what they ride.. after all... it doesn't matter if you ride a very off road capable bike, with a perfect performance triple engine and a robust front end... a bike which feels very light and is impressivelly maneuverable or....... a F800gs...
ttfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #6129
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
if one were to mount a Zumo 660 on the Triumph mount what other attachment do you need?
I used the lockable rubberized touratech mount for protection from vibration and prying hands ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #6130
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Engine heat ≠ overheating.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #6131
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Engine heat ≠ overheating.
I really have no problem with moderate engine heat but I had though there was another person on here reporting overheating.

I just worry because I live in Phoenix and plan to ride in the summer. So an already hot engine in 115 degree weather might be potential for problems.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #6132
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
I really have no problem with moderate engine heat but I had though there was another person on here reporting overheating.

I just worry because I live in Phoenix and plan to ride in the summer. So an already hot engine in 115 degree weather might be potential for problems.
You'll feel heat off the engine of any bike in that temperature.

Some more than others.

It's an airflow issue, I reckon.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #6133
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
thanks....now want to hear a secret....why I have been lurking here even though I ride a Beemer....check this out...and don't throw stones...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693154
Sweet! Hope to maybe run into you guys this summer. AFAIK I own the only XC in the state so far. There is a roadie that just made it up but, I don't know the owner. Be nice to see more of them here even if just for a visit.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #6134
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
The Tiger engine is SWEET. Sounds great, pulls nicely, is genuinely a delight to ride... down the highway. The tranny is also a dream. With knobbies on rain grooves I didn't feel a single bobble. It is firmly planted and inspires confidence...on the highway.
Here is what I didn't like.
The riding position - pulls me forward more than I like which makes standing awkward and gives me that pain between the shoulder blades.
Low speed maneuvering - Bike became heavy & awkward and did not change direction easily.
Width It may not be much wider than the F800, but it FEELS much thicker between the knees and I feel a little claustrophobic like I am locked into one riding position.

I am a BIG dude and I know that has a lot of effect on handling issues and I know each rider has their priorities. Personally I would sacrifice some highway comfort for off-road capability. I know when I sat on the F800GS, it fit ME perfectly. It made me giggle when I rode it. It didn't flinch at parking lot figure 8's or full lock circles at idle.

So while many people will buy the Triumph and be very happy. I'm buying the beemer.
That's funny.

I had my 1050 in for service, dealer gave me a Tiger 800 as a loaner overnight (dropped my bike off at 7pm, picked it up after work the next day).

I found the seat to peg distance to be pretty short, but the riding position was OK. If I was to be picky, I'd like the bars rotated back toward me a bit.

Low speed handling? I found to be very good, easy to ride circles with the bars at full lock.

I will agree with you on the width. The seat seems to lock you into one position and it's with your legs pretty wide apart...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #6135
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Sweet! Hope to maybe run into you guys this summer. AFAIK I own the only XC in the state so far. There is a roadie that just made it up but, I don't know the owner. Be nice to see more of them here even if just for a visit.
Well if you see 2 WHITE XC's together that would be us....matching bikes how cute eh?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote