Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #6151
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
" Just a few more days in the shop and it will be classified a lemon under Ohio law which would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]"

I'd wait out and make 'em give you a new one in a couple of days....
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #6152
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/10124/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Middleweight-Adventure-Touring-Comparo.aspx

GS800 -800XC comparison
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #6153
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #6154
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Much as I hate to distract from the GS/XC banter....I just took delivery of my XC this week, and it is fantastic. Beautifully made, great handling, and the throttle is much smoother than the demo bike I rode a couple of months ago.

I did notice a warning in the manual that the stock exhaust does not have a spark arrester. I live in southern California, and have noticed the odd sign requiring this for trail access. Basically, are there any XC compatible USFS-approved after-market spark arresters yet?

-lurkster- screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 11:08 PM
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #6155
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lurkster- View Post
Much as I hate to distract from the GS/XC banter....I just took delivery of my XC this week, and it is fantastic. Beautifully made, great handling, and the throttle is much smoother than the demo bike I rode a couple of months ago.

I did notice a warning in the manual that the stock exhaust does not have a spark arrester. I live in southern California, and have noticed the odd sign requiring this for trail access. Basically, are there any XC compatible USFS-approved after-market spark arresters yet?
for real? No spark arrester?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #6156
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
If a ranger wants to be a dick about a sparky, then tell him your Tiger has a cat. The cat would extinguish any spark or flame way before it gets to the muffler.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #6157
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Sounds like they're trying to work their way through all possible causes before writing off the engine, which makes sense. Just browsing through the service manual it's interesting to note that the oil pump and water pump are one unit and according to the manual cannot be separated, hence why the sump has to come apart to take the water pump out.

Inexcusable for them not to be calling you back with updates though.

Hopefully you will be able to get it lemon-lawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Here's my post from 5/19:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5803

Since then they tried a new radiator, didn't work, still overheated. The next plan of attack was to pull the water pump which I guess involves pulling the exhaust and bottom sump and I don't know what all. I don't have a service manual. I haven't talked to the service manager since Saturday May 21st when the radiator swap didn't work. I've called Triumph customer service in Georgia 3 times last week and everytime was promised a return call by Pete, head of customer service apparently. He has not once called or tried to call. I want a new bike. I don't want a bike that's been torn apart by some 20 something kid training on my Tiger 800. Just a few more days in the shop and it will be classified a lemon under Ohio law which would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #6158
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
If a ranger wants to be a dick about a sparky, then tell him your Tiger has a cat. The cat would extinguish any spark or flame way before it gets to the muffler.
That's a good call Rob. No sparks will be getting past the CAT converter.
The only problem with a CAT is how bloody HOT they get. We've all seen CAT's on cars set brush on fire if the car is parked on top of it.

The Tiger has a nice guard around the CAT but if dry brush contacts it ... could ignite I suppose.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #6159
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a good call Rob. No sparks will be getting past the CAT converter.
The only problem with a CAT is how bloody HOT they get. We've all seen CAT's on cars set brush on fire if the car is parked on top of it.

The Tiger has a nice guard around the CAT but if dry brush contacts it ... could ignite I suppose.
The Triumph upgraded aluminum Skid works well at covering the Cat & wouldn't want to risk going offroad without it. Without proper protection why risk a stone punching a hole in your engine case...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #6160
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
On a separate note the bike has developed a slight clunk under hard braking. This can be felt through the bars but not the brake lever (not abs kicking in). Does anyone have an fsm yet that cares to comment on the headstock adjustment procedure?
You know, I've noticed this as well (only 500mi on mine) but haven't taken any time to diagnose. Hasn't seemed dire at this point. On mine, it's very light, almost a 'click' more than a 'clunk', but as you said, can feel it in the bars not the lever. Since I don't have my centerstand yet, I haven't been motivated to get it perched up on something to check the head bearings. I've also felt similar things on other bikes from sticky fork seals, springs moving around inside the fork, and calipers shifting when applying the brakes.

All if someone knows specifically what's causing it on the Tigers.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #6161
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
for real? No spark arrester?
Page 10 of the owners manual.

Considering the fire trouble we have had in my area over the last few years, I wont be venturing into the desert without following the letter of the law with regards to spark arresters.

I have the Triumph aluminium bashplate on backorder which sounds like it will help shield the heat from the cat, but I will be looking at bolting on a USFS approved screen. Anyone know of one?
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #6162
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
If you do not remove the original muffler, you are legal. Here is the real skinney:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693270
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #6163
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
That seems to be a pretty good comparison. At least as it pertains to the F800, it is pretty accurate, except for 2 comments. I find the trans to be very smooth, but maybe their example has been abused or does not have the proper clutch adjustment.
I don't think their issue with lack of low speed control is too much torque, but the light switch throttle control at slow speeds. Luckily there is an aftermarket fix, but you should not need one IMO.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #6164
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
That seems to be a pretty good comparison. At least as it pertains to the F800, it is pretty accurate, except for 2 comments. I find the trans to be very smooth, but maybe their example has been abused or does not have the proper clutch adjustment.
I don't think their issue with lack of low speed control is too much torque, but the light switch throttle control at slow speeds. Luckily there is an aftermarket fix, but you should not need one IMO.
But they also liked the engagement of the BMW clutch better. Plus one for BMW there. Also, they said the BMW wheel spin issue would be much less an issue with proper off road tires.

Seems the biggest down side for the BMW is the front forks. I kind of liked the softly sprung F800GS front when I rode the bike. But I was going slow, over rocky terrain. Bike did pretty well, IMHO.
At speed, maybe not so much. On paved roads it did dive ... but I'm used to that. I just use more rear brake. I rocked on the BMW on our nasty roads. Loved it. But I loved the Tiger too!!

But the lack of front feedback and steering confidence on the F800, is IMO, serious criticism ... and both reviewers brought it up. An unsure front end means ... crashes!!

The other surprise for me was that they were adamant about how light the Tiger 800 felt even though it's apparently a heavier bike. This is good news. Most success and happiness riding off road is in your head. With confidence, good feedback and control, you will be happy.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #6165
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
But they also liked the engagement of the BMW clutch better. Plus one for BMW there. Also, they said the BMW wheel spin issue would be much less an issue with proper off road tires.

Seems the biggest down side for the BMW is the front forks. I kind of liked the softly sprung F800GS front when I rode the bike. But I was going slow, over rocky terrain. Bike did pretty well, IMHO.
At speed, maybe not so much. On paved roads it did dive ... but I'm used to that. I just use more rear brake. I rocked on the BMW on our nasty roads. Loved it. But I loved the Tiger too!!

But the lack of front feedback and steering confidence on the F800, is IMO, serious criticism ... and both reviewers brought it up. An unsure front end means ... crashes!!

The other surprise for me was that they were adamant about how light the Tiger 800 felt even though it's apparently a heavier bike. This is good news. Most success and happiness riding off road is in your head. With confidence, good feedback and control, you will be happy.
I don't have time to go into detail at the moment, but I test rode an 800XC and a Super Tenere yesterday.

The point I will bring up is front forks ... we all know that the F800GS has too soft forks as standard, can be improved with progressive hyperpro springs, and so on. One point I will make about the Tiger is that it has almost the opposite problem as the GS. I found the XC front end was very uncomfortable on the crappy tar roads around here. It felt too stiff and then sort of hydrolocked. On the gravel it was alright. I think that Hyperpro will make some progressive springs with a softer initial rate and suggest lighter weight oil when they get around to the XC. By contrast the Super Tenere was very comfortable on the same roads.

More later!