Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #6211
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
apparently even the f800gs guys are reading about tiggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
BMW, ShmeeMW. I don't care. I cruise this thread to read about Tigers....

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #6212
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
it's always good to peruse other makes and models....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #6213
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I just received word from Triumph today that they are going to replace my T800 with a new one. Thank you Triumph for doing the right thing. I will sleep better tonight.
Sleep indeed! Good for you Jim! and big kudos to Triumph. I'd love to know the gory details of what really went wrong at the factory ... but I guess that's too much to ask.

On a forum like ADV, this kind of good will gesture endears people to Triumph and builds trust ... this credibility spreads like wild fire on line. All good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #6214
motorcyclenut1964
Another Motorcyclenut

Oddometer: 24
I have had my Tiger 800 2 days now. Rode 190 miles today, My fuel light came on at about 170 miles. When I got fuel, it took 4 gallons, which means I had a gallon left. I am happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highball View Post
The Tiger 800 street model sounds about perfect for what I'm looking for.
------
The only negative I have read seems to be fuel economy/range and non-adjustable suspension.

If it gets 200 miles on a tank, it's probably fine for me.

I'll probably pop for one this Fall.
Look forward to something with some zip and comfort on the street.
motorcyclenut1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #6215
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I just received word from Triumph today that they are going to replace my T800 with a new one. Thank you Triumph for doing the right thing. I will sleep better tonight.
Way to go Triumph, Jim i'm very happy for you , and glad triumph is a stand up company. It makes it much easier waiting for my XC. Rod
Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #6216
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
"Ashamed" ?! Really ? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Hell, the Germans complained about Russia & the Ural in 1943... It'll blow over.
That and the Triumph has 3 cylinders ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #6217
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
On The Truck

My Dealer just called and said that my 800xc (Orange non-abs) is on the truck, and will be here tuesday, now for the long weekend. Rod
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #6218
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Ordered my Jesse panniers today (in black, liners are on backorderd). Kind of ironic that I will likely get the Jesse stuff, which has been designed and fabbed after the Tigers got to the US, BEFORE I ever get any of the Triumph accessories I've ordered which were designed months (years?) before Jesse got ahold of one.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #6219
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,953
Went for a test ride today....

2011 800XC, non-ABS (pic attached).

I wanted to see what all the hubub was about. From all the reports, this bike sounded like The Maker's Gift To Motorcycling . Being a card carrying member of the Skeptics Society (we don't wear funny hats with tassels, but we do have a great secret handshake ), I wanted to see/feel for myself what this bike was like.

First, a quick background check: I'm an offroad guy. Grew up around, on, and sometimes under dirt bikes. Did the competitive motocross thing for a while, etc. I'm possibly looking for something that will slot in between my Duc and my WRR, and will be set up for dirt (knobblies, all the crash protection, etc.).

So, with that out of the way, let's get on with it. I'm gonna jump right in re. the motor. It really is just as everyone says. In first gear, zero throttle input, it will pull you along at idle. Twist the grip a little or a lot, and it pulls cleanly with zero drama. Re. pulling, this was surprising. It was pretty slow to spin up. Check that, I'm not trying to win friends here, just report what I felt, so truth be told it was REALLY slow to spin up. This may be good or bad, depending on your personal preference. To me, the combo of pulling me along at idle and very slow spin up means a really heavy flywheel. Again, not saying goodness or badness, just whatisness (tm) . The combo of a totally flat power delivery and slow spin-up made my brain say "slow", but just hopping off my 150HP Multistrada 1200, anything would make my brain say that. On back roads, this was all fine, and I think this motor would be a freakin' cheater offroad. Big flywheel and linear power = traction, and I can't imagine a better power delivery for pure hill climbing, rock crawling, gotta-get-up-this-f'ing-mountain than what the wee Tigger provides. Put a big 'ole knobbly on the back of this bike and you should be able to climb trees.

Out on the open road (aka freeway), things change a bit IMO. That linear delivery really does translate to better-think-ahead-to-pass brain activity. Again, I'm sure I'm being unfair since my Duc will power wheelie in 3rd if I'm wreckless with my throttle input, but still, out here in CA where the freeway speeds are pretty high, I'd be a little nervous that I couldn't "goose it" to get out of a bad situation in a hurry.

Other stuff:

-Wind protection for my lower body was much better than I anticipated. Excellent for this type/size of bike.
-I found the wind screen to be very good (6'0", 33" inseam, so long legs, short(ish) torso).
-Even on the high setting, the seat/peg distance was too small. It felt cramped. After I hopped off the XC I hopped on a BMW F800GS and that bike fit me MUCH better in the seat/peg dimension.
- WTF is up with the bars?!?! I hope the guys at the shop just didn't know how to set them up, because they were nearly in my lap. Standing while riding was nearly impossible. Easy fix, but sheesh. The for-sale XC they had on the floor was set up the same way, as was the roadie they had.
- Vibes in the bars!!!!! The high frequency vibes coming from the grips was immediately noticeable, and after I got off the bike my hands were tingling. And I was wearing my heavy gloves!!! Not good. Since this was an XC with hand guards, I don't think weighted bar ends can be fitted but something would have to be done about this.
- Suspension. I read where folks say it's too stiff. ROFL. You want stiff? Try my Duc w/ Ohlins in Sport mode. It's wayyyy stiffer than the Tigger. I thought the suspension was fine, and was a nice combo of cushy plus damped, so it did a pretty decent job of limiting front end dive when I got on the binders but still soaked up the crappy roads perfectly.
- 21" front wheel. Really?!?! I had to look like 5 times. No way! Never have a I felt a bike with a 21" front wheel handle so quickly (in a good way, at least on the road). If a person was blindfolded before being put on this bike, they would never guess it was anything other than a 17". How this might translate offroad is unknown to me, but on the road it was awesome.

Yikes! This is getting too long (sorry), so I'll wrap it up. In summary, for me and the type of riding I do, this bike is a mixed bag. I'm going to take the F800GS out for a test spin before I make any decisions, that's for sure. All I can say at this point is that it's great to have some choices in this space, and good on Triumph, because they have created an excellent motorcycle.

-SM
Attached Images

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 02:08 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #6220
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
My Dealer just called and said that my 800xc (Orange non-abs) is on the truck, and will be here tuesday, now for the long weekend. Rod
Lucky you. My dealer just told me I will be lucky to score an orange ABS in June...Hope he is wrong. Seems to be quite a few white bikes here in FL, but no orange deliveries yet.
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #6221
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-Even on the high setting, the seat/peg distance was too small. It felt cramped. After I hopped off the XC I hopped on a BMW F800GS and that bike fit me MUCH better in the seat/peg dimension.

-SM
The seat on the picture with your post is the low seat and it appears to be on the high setting. So even on the high setting, the low seat should be equivalent to low position of the regular seat. Did I make any sense?

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #6222
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The seat on the picture with your post is the low seat and it appears to be on the high setting. So even on the high setting, the low seat should be equivalent to low position of the regular seat. Did I make any sense?

Lion
You're probably right. I know zero about the seat choices on the XC. All I asked was if they would mind putting it in the high setting. They said something about it being gel. Does that mean low?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #6223
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
-Even on the high setting, the seat/peg distance was too small. It felt cramped. After I hopped off the XC I hopped on a BMW F800GS and that bike fit me MUCH better in the seat/peg dimension.-SM
Taking the rubber pads off the foot pegs helps a lot, but it is still a bit cramped.
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #6224
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
You're probably right. I know zero about the seat choices on the XC. All I asked was if they would mind putting it in the high setting. They said something about it being gel. Does that mean low?

-SM
I'm going by the shape and the light gray/dark gray color scheme that is on the low seats I've seen. And I know the low seat is a gel seat. And looking by how it matches the rear seat and the tank, one can see it is on the high setting.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #6225
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Check that, I'm not trying to win friends here, just report what I felt, so truth be told it was REALLY slow to spin up. This may be good or bad, depending on your personal preference. To me, the combo of pulling me along at idle and very slow spin up means a really heavy flywheel. Again, not saying goodness or badness, just whatisness (tm) . The combo of a totally flat power delivery and slow spin-up made my brain say "slow", but just hopping off my 150HP Multistrada 1200, anything would make my brain say that.
I rode the T800XC after getting off my 1050 Tiger, so I understand the feeling of "slow" you describe. I don't know where you rode ... but the Tiger really comes into it's own on our knarliest Bay Area roads ... roads where your big Multi gets tied in knots. (too stiff, too wheelie prone, funky ABS and odd steering, with a 17" inch front tire I never totally trusted on sand covered, wet roads in Marin at speed. Way stiff suspension, IMO. Not a back road bike for me.

Once I was on the XC a while I got used to it's modest power. Ever owned a 600 Japanese four? I've owned about 6 or 7 since 1985. I quickly learned the XC needs to be ridden just like a 600 Sport bike. Keep 'er on the boil, like 7000 rpm or higher ... that's where the fun starts. Some riders like that, others not. The Triple is like a really torquey 600. Shifts perfectly and does require a bit of gear box rowing ... unlike your one gear Multi. (90 mph in 1st gear! )

I found supreme corner confidence in the front end and good side grip through bumpy, grit covered, rutted and wet roads in Marin and Sonoma. The quick turning 21" front at work. I've not ridden the XC on the freeway at all, only back roads. Pretty much all good ... but I did miss the torque of the 1050.

Did you ride any tight roads on the little Tiger ... or just ride vineyard roads and freeways? Try riding through a series of tight S turns, or try coming in hot under hard braking over bumps. The little Tiger does pretty well in all those conditions, IMO. If I had another hour to learn the XC I'm thinking I could have really picked up the pace a bit and had some fun.
Nice.

Off road? Better stay on your WR!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote