Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #6226
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I just received word from Triumph today that they are going to replace my T800 with a new one. Thank you Triumph for doing the right thing. I will sleep better tonight.

Congrats!

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #6227
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I rode the T800XC after getting off my 1050 Tiger, so I understand the feeling of "slow" you describe. I don't know where you rode ... but the Tiger really comes into it's own on our knarliest Bay Area roads ... roads where your big Multi gets tied in knots. (too stiff, too wheelie prone, funky ABS and odd steering, with a 17" inch front tire I never totally trusted on sand covered, wet roads in Marin at speed. Way stiff suspension, IMO. Not a back road bike for me.

Did you ride any tight roads on the little Tiger ... or just ride vineyard roads and freeways? Try riding through a series of tight S turns, or try coming in hot under hard braking over bumps.

Off road? Better stay on your WR!
I won't defend my Multi but to say with a button press I can go from tame to wild, plush to stiff, which is what I really love about it.

Re. the lil' Tigger, I was on a little of everything, including one of the better biking roads in these parts (from slow switchbacks to fast sweepers). It was very composed, good turn in, not too heavy, and held its line well. Some of the roads were under construction, so that was a nice (albeit very short) test of dirt, gravel, and decent sized potholes. Thanks CalTrans!

7k RPM +??? Not sure what the break-in procedure is on these, but with 800 miles showing on the clock, I tried to keep it off the limiter (just.... ). Besides, I really didn't feel much difference in the performance wringing it's neck....it had the most linear power delivery of any bike I've ever ridden. There seemed to not be a "happy place" like most motors, where you can sit just below the mid-range kick and wick it up to get that rush for passing or just being a goon. The whole rev range seemed to be a happy place....just a mild one. Again, not bad or good....just what it was.

As for offroad, yeah, my WRR is a great bike for that, but in this size/class of bike (800cc), I think the XC would do just fine. I can't wait for all the ride reports from inmates over the summer taking these things all over the place. I bet that motor turns out to be a gem offroad. Just from what little I rode it, I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere I'd take any other 500lb DS bike, which pretty much covers anything from fire roads to moderate single track. I'd have to keep it off the MX course though. It would create seismic events every time it landed.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #6228
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...I found supreme corner confidence in the front end and good side grip through bumpy, grit covered, rutted and wet roads...
I'm curious how the road version of the Tiger 800 would compare on these bumpy twisty back roads. Anybody road tested both?
I like the variety of road biased rubber in 19" sizes and I love to plug tubeless tires when they go flat. And shouldn't the comparable tubeless tire run cooler and therefore last longer?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #6229
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
I'm curious how the road version of the Tiger 800 would compare on these bumpy twisty back roads. Anybody road tested both?
I like the variety of road biased rubber in 19" sizes and I love to plug tubeless tires when they go flat. And shouldn't the comparable tubeless tire run cooler and therefore last longer?
I haven't ridden the XC but I do own the Road version. IMO it does great on rough bumpy back roads. I've actually taken it down some washed out dirt roads with 12" deep washouts and as able to get through it no problem. So far I think it's plenty capable of running on and off road. If you're a mostly on road guy like me that likes to mess around here and there on some dirt roads then I say the Road version is the way to go.
GearHd6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #6230
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,877
Orange XC ABS ordered

Should be here Aug or even Jul the dealer told me. 13K out the door (2012 models went up on price a little....)

Kinda excited now
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #6231
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,846
Just got back from the dealership, and saw the 800XC in the flesh for the first time...what a lovely bike! Felt nice between me legs as well...don't know if I'll be trading my GSA in anytime soon...but this may be the perfect thing to trade it in for...
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #6232
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I won't defend my Multi but to say with a button press I can go from tame to wild, plush to stiff, which is what I really love about it.
No need to ... the Multi is an awesome bike. (I'm just jealous!!) I never had time to fiddle with the controls on the S version I rode ... never figured it out in the few hours I had on the bike. On Marin's back roads it was a bit tough, but out on highway one it rocked, easily getting into Go To JaiL mode with instant spurts over 100 mph at a whim. It did everything well. Stunning bike. I'm sure when adjusted plush it would improve on tight back roads but as it was I was limited ... and SO MUCH POWER! YIKES!
Quote:
As for offroad, yeah, my WRR is a great bike for that, but in this size/class of bike (800cc), I think the XC would do just fine. I can't wait for all the ride reports from inmates over the summer taking these things all over the place. I bet that motor turns out to be a gem offroad. -SM
I agree. I look forward to off road reports as well. My WR comment only related to the idea of trashing a such a beautiful new bike doing serious off road riding. I'd hate to do that on my own bike ... but I guess some owners will be hammering the new Tiger XC's off road.

IMHO, anything super steep, loose, muddy or rutted will challenge even a decent rider riding the Tiger XC. I know I'm challenged on my DR650 in such conditions ... and it's about 100 lbs. lighter than the Tiger 800XC.

I've been on rides where the BMW guys try to macho it out doing someplace like Goler wash. Smashing new GS1200's to bits. Even with 5 guys helping the F800GS guys beat the crap out of their bikes, doing lots of damage to virtually new bikes. Bent rims, busted plastic, broken bars, levers, shields. They laughed it off and got pics standing on the wrecked bikes flipping the bird. Ha Ha.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #6233
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 839
Bought her to ride offroad....time will tell!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #6234
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
WE hope to help with off road reports

We will be taking out two 2012 T800XC bikes on our next trip for those who do not know...they are being loaned to us by Triumph and in no way shape or form is Triumph paying for anything on this trip. We are BMW owners and look at this opportunity as a way to really demo the Tiger...so, instead of a 45 minute demo we get 45 days.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #6235
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
We will be taking out two 2012 T800XC bikes on our next trip for those who do not know...they are being loaned to us by Triumph and in no way shape or form is Triumph paying for anything on this trip. We are BMW owners and look at this opportunity as a way to really demo the Tiger...so, instead of a 45 minute demo we get 45 days.
I was thinking of you two when I wrote that I was waiting for RR's from "all over". Can't wait (bet you guys can't either!).

Safe travels. And no pressure....there will only be 49,862 of your closest internet friends following your every move.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #6236
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
I was thinking of you two when I wrote that I was waiting for RR's from "all over". Can't wait (bet you guys can't either!).

Safe travels. And no pressure....there will only be 49,862 of your closest internet friends following your every move.

-SM
just wait..after Triumph announces it....but you know what? We are ready and we are going to just do what we did last year...ride and have fun!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #6237
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
Looks GOOD! Did you have any trouble mounting the handguards (stock bars, I assume??)
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #6238
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
Tiger 800XC Ride Report, work in progress: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694465

900+ miles, highway, twisties, gravel, off pavement. Tiger 800XC=Triple sport.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #6239
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I've got to admit, that bike looks pretty bad A$$ with those knobby tires on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
GearHd6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #6240
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Looks GOOD! Did you have any trouble mounting the handguards (stock bars, I assume??)
Tha bars are stock & made by Neken(same as KTM) they handguards fit with some tweaking & a spacer needed at bare-ends other than that, the install is straight forward..