Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #6241
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
I do agree the bike looks awesome. What tires do you have on the XC?
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #6242
CavScout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
800 vs. F800

Not sure if this is the place for this but here you go.

I took a BMW F800 and a Tiger 800 for test rides today, back to back. The 800XC wasn't available, but I have sat on it and looked it over. I've never ridden BMWs or Triumphs, and currently ride a V-Strom 650.

I was completely surprised. I thought I would love the F800, that it would be "the" bike. The winner can best be summed up this way:
I rode the F800 for an hour, and got off sore and ready to be off of it.
I rode the Triumph 800 for 2.5 hours and only returned to the dealer because I was almost out of gas.

On the road, and for long hauls, the Triumph is hands-down the winner. The off-road capability of the F800 may be slightly better, but I don't think it could overtake the pleasure that the Triumph is to ride. I'm sold.

Adventures of Man

The Previous Big Trip
CavScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #6243
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoRider View Post
The bike does look badass with the knobbies. What brand/model tires are they? Have you considered raising the front fender for mud clearance? I'll be watching for ride reports.
I'm gonna say TKCs, or the Kenda Big Blocks .......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #6244
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 866
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post

G.
TKC 80's , & they are miserable offroad...can't compare them to anythjing else as this is my 1st ADV bike & regularly ride offroad with real knobbies.
Rode the bike offroad proper today, as mentioned the tires were the only diaspointment, I was expecting more traction. They make more road noise over stock Battlewings, that I eXpected. Changed my style a little & kept the bike more up right (90 degree rule of traction) & the TKC's did better, however they slide all over the place if you lean the bike & ride it like MX bike. The Guys I rode with, were all on Enduro bikes.
The bike it self was great, it handle the deep thick sand in Fl very well & when launched off jumps,flys level & lands well. Turned the ABS off & the brakes were very reponsive. The stock suspension handled the whoops well, gotta remember this bike is a big girl. Overall not many Folks would have taken her where I rode today & not only was I impressed, but my riding Buds couldn,t believe how well she did.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #6245
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
OK so I went to install my new Rox Risers today (seemed like it would be easy enough) and ran into a little snag:

How the F-ity F are you supposed to properly torque (or even tighten) the original clamp bolts with the mother F-ing Rox Risers in the way? Anybody? I feel like I'm having a stupid day and missing something obvious.

You can angle them so that the hole in them is over the lower bolt and you then have access to the upper bolt by way of the angle, but what if that's not the angle you want them at?

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 05:51 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #6246
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
Wicked

Looks like you're going to have to cut off the short end of your Allen wrench enough to get access. Or install external wrenching capscrews. Don't panic.
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #6247
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
OK so I went to install my new Rox Risers today (seemed like it would be easy enough) and ran into a little snag:

How the F-ity F are you supposed to properly torque (or even tighten) the original clamp bolts with the mother F-ing Rox Risers in the way? Anybody? I feel like I'm having a stupid day and missing something obvious.

You can angle them so that the hole in them is over the lower bolt and you then have access to the upper bolt by way of the angle, but what if that's not the angle you want them at?
Use bolts with a different head so you can use a box end.
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6248
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Rox Risers

I got those same risers had the same problem you did and thought I was missing something. Installed them tilted almost all the way back where one can get at the bolts and surprise, they were right where I would have set them had I been able to adjust.
Was going to return or at least call customer service to bitch but since everything fit me so well, just shut up and kept them. Nice to know i wasn't the only one that couldn't figure out how to install them though. .
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #6249
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I got those same risers had the same problem you did and thought I was missing something. Installed them tilted almost all the way back where one can get at the bolts and surprise, they were right where I would have set them had I been able to adjust.
Was going to return or at least call customer service to bitch but since everything fit me so well, just shut up and kept them. Nice to know i wasn't the only one that couldn't figure out how to install them though. .
Yeah I suppose I'll go that route first and hope for the best. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #6250
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
TKC 80's , & they are miserable offroad...can't compare them to anythjing else as this is my 1st ADV bike & regularly ride offroad with real knobbies.
Rode the bike offroad proper today, as mentioned the tires were the only diaspointment, I was expecting more traction. They make more road noise over stock Battlewings, that I eXpected. Changed my style a little & kept the bike more up right (90 degree rule of traction) & the TKC's did better, however they slide all over the place if you lean the bike & ride it like MX bike. The Guys I rode with, were all on Enduro bikes.
The bike it self was great, it handle the deep thick sand in Fl very well & when launched off jumps,flys level & lands well. Turned the ABS off & the brakes were very reponsive. The stock suspension handled the whoops well, gotta remember this bike is a big girl. Overall not many Folks would have taken her where I rode today & not only was I impressed, but my riding Buds couldn,t believe how well she did.
Great review! Nice to hear from a real dirt rider ... but can't imagine where you could ride in FLA where Sugar Sand does not dominate the landscape. I lived in West Palm for six months and went all over looking for off road/dual sport. You could say I'm spoiled with our luxurious California trails through the redwoods. I did get good at sugar sand. I had two bikes,
a borrowed old 360 Husky 2-Stroke Auto did really well there. My XL600R was more a struggle. That Husky ATE sand like it wasn't there.

I'm so glad you told the TRUTH about TKC's off road. Too many with little off road experience think they are the Holy Grail ... they ain't. To the uninitiated i'm sure they seem fine and a big improvement over street tires of course ... but as you pointed out ... they are miserable compared to any true, modern knobby ... like the D756's on my WR250R.

I learned the limitations of TKC's several years ago in Baja on my DR650. I did "adjust" after a few hours however and can't argue with just how damn tough those TKC's are. They last! The front TKC leaves a lot to desired off road.

I'm a retired AMA B enduro rider and am glad to hear you put the Tiger through some stuff and it did well. One thing about TKC's ... on pavement anyway ... as they wear a bit they will work a bit better. Always noisy so no joy there but once well scuffed in some they feel a bit more natural on pavement.

I'm guessing you could try a number of 21" fronts on the Tiger for better off road performance. Knobbies for the rear 17" sizes will be rare for a while, but I'm betting a 140 or even a 130 will do OK on the XC. So that might open up a few options ... but few are DOT and most will dissolve on pavement in a 1000 miles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #6251
Edtorc11
n00b

Oddometer: 2
rox riser

Hi! i'm a newbie here and found so many interesting things and amazing people sharing ideas on the same passion. I'm looking on the rox riser for my new 2012 TT800 abs and trying to gather some informations here and if i'm right it is the ROX riser with the product No. : 3R-P2PPL. Maybe i'll wait until someone give a good feed back. Thanks.
Edtorc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #6252
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
IMHO, anything super steep, loose, muddy or rutted will challenge even a decent rider riding the Tiger XC. I know I'm challenged on my DR650 in such conditions ... and it's about 100 lbs. lighter than the Tiger 800XC.
I have to agree. I have put 6,000 miles on my XC since I got it April 15th. I bought the XC version because it fit me better (6' 1" 235#) and because of the somewhat longer suspension. I did not want the long suspension for off road, I wanted it for what we in the Northeast laughingly call paved roads. I ride a LOT of dirt roads. Well maintained dirt roads. I have put a lot of miles on these kinds of roads on Harley touring bikes, a Honda ST1300, a Buell S3T (Sport Touring), and even a Honda GL650 in Argentina. Any bike is good for these kinds of roads, but longer suspension and tougher tires is a huge advantage to comfort and safety..

I have had the XC on what might be considered to be off road. These were dirt roads that had deteriorated into ATV roads. On level roads, it was not too bad even if rock strewn. The suspension was pretty good for it, if a bit stiff. First off, I am NOT an off-road rider. Never cared for it. I know enough, I just don't like it. On hills, with loose large rocks, gravel, mud and limited safe paths, the XC kinda sucks. The thing that sucks about it IMO, other than it's weight, is the tall gearing. I was doing some of these roads yesterday, alone. I turned tail and road back to safety after almost dumping the bike after it stalled. It was just not geared low enough to take on these conditions at anything other than too high of a speed. Well, too high for me. I am sure a good off-roader would be able to do it, but I am not interested.

Now, on fire trails, well maintained dirt roads, and crappy tarmac, the bike is a blast. For me, this is a wonderful bike. Maybe not everyone's cup of English Breakfast Tea, but I like it.

Bob L
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #6253
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post

G.
Does anyone have anything to say about the Kenda Big Blocks, I was think that might be the one for the xc. The only other problem I have is the bike is still on order.
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #6254
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
The K784 doesnt get rave reviews for mileage. I was considering as alternative to K60 Hiedi's (since I still cant get a 150). They're priced right & I've had Kendas on my KLR with good results. But I'm looking for at least 6k mi - Don't think 'big blocks' will do it (seem to be about same mileage as TKC80s - but much less expensive) For now I'm sticking with the 140 Heidi & see how it does.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #6255
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
the Heidenau Scouts are out and some have stock...up here Pacific Powersports in Richmond, BC got 10 sets....MTR Sports who sells in Washington State may have some left too....just fyi

We are putting the Scouts on the Tigers we are getting on loan for our trip. I am really curious if they can last the trip...not a great tire in mud/slippery stuff but they do really well in most other ADV riding terrains.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote