Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #6256
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,279
the Heidenau Scouts are out and some have stock...up here Pacific Powersports in Richmond, BC got 10 sets....MTR Sports who sells in Washington State may have some left too....just fyi

We are putting the Scouts on the Tigers we are getting on loan for our trip. I am really curious if they can last the trip...not a great tire in mud/slippery stuff but they do really well in most other ADV riding terrains.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #6257
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Thanks soph9 - I'm taking 800 in Tue for 500 mi service - then off to oregon desert for 'trials' (my skills will likely be 'tried' more than the tires) Got the 140 here now - so will probably just go with what i got. But just for fun - I'll give MTR a call. Appreciate the 'tip'. When is blast off for the northland?? Toodles j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #6258
soph9
Bike Addict

check out my signature some good info there..if I can get off work a few more days we leave June 29th instead of July 3...should be an interesting trip with brand new bikes that we barely know and will most likely only have if we are lucky to get some riding in about 500 KM maybe a bit more on them before we leave.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #6259
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Soph9 - Hopefully those XCs are going to have the low gel seats ? I found my gore-tex Danners have very thick vibram lug soles, that allow 50% contact with terra-firma (BOTH FEET !!) - but dont have the protection I want for off pavement. my Sidi Canyons have protection - but not the 'elevator' sole the Danners do...Quandry. Anyway - One needs good traction on boot soles as well as tires - we depend on both to stay rubber side up. My motocross boots are fine in the desert, but have entirely inadequate bottoms for any kind of muddy conditions. Me and my old Girlie tiger have taken 2 tipovers together, on dismount, as a result. Ya think I'd know better - I live in the NW! Just something to consider for adventure ahead. I will look at sig page. Toodles, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #6260
soph9
Bike Addict

My partner is getting the regular gel seat I am getting the low gel...she has a long inseam and is almost has both feet down...but I am used to not having both feet down on my Beemer...I hear you about good boots and soles...we have Alpinestars Scouts...will be warm on hot days but overall they are a great boot for us.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #6261
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
The bike it self was great, it handle the deep thick sand in Fl very well & when launched off jumps,flys level & lands well. Turned the ABS off & the brakes were very reponsive. The stock suspension handled the whoops well, gotta remember this bike is a big girl. Overall not many Folks would have taken her where I rode today & not only was I impressed, but my riding Buds couldn,t believe how well she did.
Excellent! Good to hear you putting the Tiger through its paces. Any pictures from the ride?
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #6262
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
I am shocked at the extremely poor design of handguards so those will be going soon.
Just picked up a new XC and really like the black frame - big improvement imho.
Oh and the de-baffled Arrow is superb!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #6263
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 724
↑↑↑ ↑↑↑

Is that the touring screen or standard with the adjusters? Was it difficult to pull the baffle out of the Arrow can? Does it need a re-map after pulling the baffle?

I am soooo jealous of the black frame!
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #6264
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Screen is standard.
Got the 'can with the bike and already had the baffle removed (they know me well!!). It's only held in with 1 screw.
The sound is absolutely fantastic and constantly crackles and burbles on the over-run

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #6265
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Rox Riser issue/ Tire choice

I put them on my 06' Tiger, and had to grind down an allen wrench just for the Rox Risers. It works fairly well. I keep it in my tank bag for adjustments when needed.
I'm looking hard at getting an XC, so I keep reading this thread every chance I get, it's addictive.
Again, not getting rid of my 06', thing is a freight train and my North Georgia twisty lover.
I've also been looking at tire choices, possibles anyway, Pirelli Scorpion Rally, Metzeler Karoos, Shinko 705's, any others?

TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #6266
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
TKC 80's , & they are miserable offroad...

Yeah, the tread pattern just isn't aggressive enough for true offroad riding. But the beauty of the Tiger is that you can fit pretty much any 21" dirt tire you want to the front. And in back you can throw on a Metzeler Karoo 2 (much more aggressive than a TKC, though it'll wear out quickly on pavement) or even one of the 130/80-17 dual-sport tires like a Dunlop D606 or something, as long as you don't mind the profile flattening out a bit.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #6267
soph9
Bike Addict

Heidenau good 50/50

Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #6268
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Anybody find a pdf of the service manual? I've heard they're upwards of $100US and I'm trying to avoid paying that price! How about a step-by-step oil change procedure? I haven't done it yet and won't need to for another couple of months...would prefer to have some instructions the first time I do it.
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #6269
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
Accessories coming soon...

Some are even available for pre-order now.

where are these sexy black panniers for the tiger on the site? I can not find them! Someone help me internets!

Also, are the Tiger pans any good?
BaronVonDarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #6270
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Anybody find a pdf of the service manual? I've heard they're upwards of $100US and I'm trying to avoid paying that price! How about a step-by-step oil change procedure? I haven't done it yet and won't need to for another couple of months...would prefer to have some instructions the first time I do it.
To paraphrase: "Would one of you please spend $100 and buy the manual, and then take the time to scan it into a pdf and make it available so cheap bastards like me can illegally download it?"

There are a great many of us who wish we could afford the damn BIKE, and you already own one and are whining about buying the manual? ESAD!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote