Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #6271
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I didn't like the MultiStrada 1200 for various reasons. One of them the engine that was pretty much unusable in my day to day traffic (abysmal fueling below 4k rpm) during commute or on slow backroads.

As far as I know Ducati wanted to address some of those issues, not sure they actually did, I never checked again. Not worth it for me, too many things I didn't like.

Here's my blog post from that test ride in 2010 and please keep in mind that this is my private, personal opinion, based on an early 2010 MultiStrada that was potentially not set up properly:

http://www.event-s.net/entry/2010/06...geId=2&batch=3

I did test ride the Tiger 800 for a very short ride and liked it quite a bit. I liked it more than the MultiStrada. Might have to take out a 2011 MS and do a longer test ride on the Tiger.
I read your review and had some similar issues. The fueling on the examples I've ridden was not bad at all ... and I loved the power ... on the right road. Someone had fiddled with the handle bar position from the stock position and screwed up the balance of the bike.

I later rode another S version ... much better and suspension was more plush than my first try. The first bike was set pretty stiff so was not good on bumpy back roads but was very nice on smooth more open sweepers. I've owned about a dozen sport bikes and done lots of track time so the HP was no big deal but had to be managed carefully on tight roads.

I agree about the riding position. Limited movement fore and aft. I traded off with a fast guy who had been riding my Tiger 1050, got back on the Tiger for the most technical and tight part of the ride ... I took off and never saw him.
Something to be said for riding a bike you "know well". On the smooth roads he was gone ... I couldn't keep up ... but he was breaking 120 mph and I quit the Sunday Morning ride years ago because of that. Seen too many KIA. $20,000 is a ton of dough and frankly I really had more fun riding the Tiger 800XC. I prefer a slightly underpowered bike where I can use ALL the power to one that scares me every 5 minutes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #6272
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Has anyone considering a Tiger 800 Road considered the Ducati Multistrada 1200 as well?

I want a road touring bike and was nearly set on the Tiger 800, but now I've been eying the MTS 1200. It's hard to ignore a bike like that. It's looking like about $4000 difference between the T800 and the MTS.

Since I don't plan on doing any off-road it just might be worth it.. Any thoughts?
Well, I just test rode a 800XC a few days ago and posted my impressions a few pages back.

To address a few misconceptions.....the EFI updates plus allowing the motor to break in a bit have the MTS12 running great. My bike never exhibited any fueling issues even when new (2010 Sport S), but I know others have had fueling problems that have since been sorted. As far as maintenance goes, with valve adjusts at 24k km and oil changes at 12k km, I'm not really sure what the issue is here.....

As for the comparison between the two bikes, they are very different beasts. You really need to ride both. The MTS12 can be anything from a comfy, docile commuter (in 100HP Urban mode) to a raging, power-wheelie-in-3rd-gear license losing beast (in 150HP Hi Sport mode). You pick. It's all there at the press of a button. It's also a fantastic long-distance tourer. I've only had it on fire roads and the like, but it eats that stuff up. Switch off ABS, switch off DTC (or just set Enduro mode to DTC=1), and drift the corners, shoot rocks the size of baseballs at your buddies behind you, and be happy. Again, don't believe me, just go ride it and see for yourself if it's for you. Start off in Urban mode, then get into some open road, switch to Sport, and twist. You'll figure out in about 1 microsecond why there's a hump between the rider and pillion seats.

Having said that, the 800XC is a VERY capable motorcycle. It's just not a 150HP superbike-inspired motorcycle, nor was it designed (or priced) to be. It is what it is, which is a great do-anything bike (commute, tour, ride back roads or dirt roads)....it just does it with less velocity (which may be a good thing.... ).

If there are any specific questions you have comparing the two, shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them. The good news is both are great....very different, but great!

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 08:59 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #6273
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
As far as maintenance goes, with 24k valve adjusts and 6k oil changes, I'm not really sure what the issue is here.....

If there are any specific questions you have comparing the two, shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them. The good news is both are great....very different, but great!

-SM
After reading about the 15K mile major services I didn't understand the maintenance comments either. Although I admit I have no experience when it comes to Ducati dealer shop work.

As far as price. Tiger 800 MSRP is $10,000 while the base MTS 1200 is $15,000. I suppose that's quite a jump...

I'll definitely shoot you a PM or two if I have questions.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #6274
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Vibes???!!!

Sock Monkey,

Just read your original post/ride report of the 800XC. Have to say, that I'm really bummed to hear about the vibrations in the bars..

I've got my money down on a black on black 800XC. I am specifically buy this bike because of the supposed lack of vibrations Did you experience the vibes continuously at high speeds, or at just certain speeds and/or rpm's???

Turns out that I have a WR250R as well. Mine has a high frequency buzz...especially at high speeds. But, I kind of expected that to occur because it's a thumper. How would you compare the vibes you experienced on the 800XC to your WR250R?

Thanks,

The Breeze
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #6275
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Sock Monkey,

Just read your original post/ride report of the 800XC. Have to say, that I'm really bummed to hear about the vibrations in the bars..

I've got my money down on a black on black 800XC. I am specifically buy this bike because of the supposed lack of vibrations Did you experience the vibes continuously at high speeds, or at just certain speeds and/or rpm's???

Turns out that I have a WR250R as well. Mine has a high frequency buzz...especially at high speeds. But, I kind of expected that to occur because it's a thumper. How would you compare the vibes you experienced on the 800XC to your WR250R?

Thanks,

The Breeze
I was very surprised by that as well since I had not read any other reports of this. Given that, I would suggest that maybe there was a problem with the bike I test rode and you should ride one yourself and see if you experience the same thing. Basically it was a constant high-freq vibe from around 3k RPM on up. I was trying to be kind to the new(ish) motor, so I didn't take it up to redline, but the vibes were basically present everywhere.

I know some people are much more sensitive to this than others, and certain frequency vibes will cause one rider's hands to go numb and not even bother another rider, so this was just my experience and other's may be very different. The question for me if I were going to buy one would be is there a solution (bar end weights, different bars, etc), because I would not be able to ride the bike for very long as-is (after about 1hr it was getting uncomfortable).

By comparison, my WRR has zero vibes. Seriously. I can ride my WRR all day (and have) in my thin off-road gloves with no issues at all. I have the stock bars w/ Acerbis handguards, so maybe that dampens the vibes a bit, but honestly the WRR is one of the smoothest thumpers I've ridden. My KTM 520, on the other hand, was like a paint shaker. It was always a race to see what would happen first with that bike: would arm pump turn my arms to stone or would the vibes numb them up to my ears. But oh the power.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #6276
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Vibes???!!!

Thanks for the feedback Sock Monkey.

Ya, I think it's like you say...what bothers some people, isn't an issue for others.

I was able to test ride an 800XC. But it was brand new, and they wouldn't let me take it over 60 mph...and they followed me to make sure I did drop it down several gears, while going 60 (i.e., to rev the engine), and it remained smooth as glass.

Hope it stays the same at higher speeds....time will tell.

Just wish my dealer would call me with a delivery date!
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #6277
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Has anyone considering a Tiger 800 Road considered the Ducati Multistrada 1200 as well?

I want a road touring bike and was nearly set on the Tiger 800, but now I've been eying the MTS 1200. It's hard to ignore a bike like that. It's looking like about $4000 difference between the T800 and the MTS.

Since I don't plan on doing any off-road it just might be worth it.. Any thoughts?
To me, the Multi is how babies are made. I would've bought one if I had the dough... The Tiger isn't a bad second choice though!
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #6278
papachiax6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have ridden both the tiger 800 and the mts12. As stated before, completely differnt beasts. So understand that I ride a wee daily, the mts12 was a rocketship which was very enjoyable to launch. I sat down to write it up. I was sold. That will be $25,600 sir. This was the touring model loaded with t&l and setup. After some introspection and remembering that I still had one more child to send to school,I left. Glad I did,jumped on the wee and rode home. Last week rode the tiger for the morning. Great power band. Comfortable! And better yet,only around 13 all set up and out the door. Seriously thinking of jumping ship if the new Suzuki dosent meet up to expections.
papachiax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #6279
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
went with the English box

Attached Images

bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #6280
CDTSTR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Debaffling???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada View Post
I am shocked at the extremely poor design of handguards so those will be going soon.
Just picked up a new XC and really like the black frame - big improvement imho.
Oh and the de-baffled Arrow is superb!

How did your dealer remove the baffle? Would it be possible to have a pic of the end of the muffler? I would really like to make this improvement because the Arrow exhaust just doesn't have the right note. It would be nice to hear my bike.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #6281
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTSTR View Post
How did your dealer remove the baffle? Would it be possible to have a pic of the end of the muffler? I would really like to make this improvement because the Arrow exhaust just doesn't have the right note. It would be nice to hear my bike.
Mine used a slide hammer to break the tack-weld.

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #6282
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Arrow Baffle removal

I used a metal cutting wheel on a dremel to cut the bead holding the stainless steel screw to the baffle, then unscrewed the screw. I couldn't get the baffle to slip out, and then drilled a 5/16" hole at 12 o'clock above the main exhaust exit so that I could use a cotter pin puller like a slide hammer to encourage the baffle to come out. If I ever wanted to put the baffle back in, a stainless steel button head screw could fill the hole that I drilled in the baffle. But even with the baffle out, the exhaust tone is very civil, no reason to put the baffle back in as far as I'm concerned. Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #6283
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTSTR View Post
Don't have a picture yet but there is a single screw that holds the baffle in place and is accessed just inside the opening - dealer did it for me and was told that refitting would take 1 minute.

Still running mine in but already sounds fantastic - can't wait to wind it round to 10k+
Also, it constantly pops and crackles on the over-run - even better!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #6284
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,351
Can I Play?
Just picked up last Friday. Loving it!
Attached Images

AllOrds screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 04:00 AM
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #6285