Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #6331
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
another review here
Safari tanks developing a extended range tank?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #6332
Evomx971
Wave as you fly over

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
'Tubeliss' Looks like an option worthy of consideration. Doesnt appear to be available in 17" rear though. ??

No... no 17" yet, hopefully next year... and while I'm sure their current 21" front isn't DOT approved... I wonder if there is anything else (balancing perhaps) that would prevent using it now on an 800XC? Would have to drill a second hole in the rim. I tried to ask that in my email but didn't get a straight response, only that it's not DOT approved (no surprise).
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #6333
ttfrank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Comparativa maxienduro Motociclismo 2011

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/...topicseen.html

I don't speak Italian, I speak Spanish but they are somehow alike, so this is what I understand about this review:

"The first 2… 1200 gs and 800 gs they have performed in an excellent way during this test; both the small 800 and the larger 1200 did excellent. The 800Gs had shown to be very, very efficacious in this trip, however the fuel consumption was a downside for this bike. Of course the 1200 gs happened to show better results as far as the fuel consumption and comfort.. good on road, good off road.

“The Comfirmation” and “The Surprise” in this test in Sicily were: “ The surprise” was the yamaha tenere, which despite being a mono-cylinder bike performed really well on road (of course, its off road behavior is superb)… “The Confirmation” was the KTM 990, it is really, really something off road with a good “globe trotter” (touring??) quality….

The last bikes in this group are this three “maxi-enduro” …. The Super Tenere, despite the Name it carries, showed that “off roading” it’s not the proper use for this bike, but its performance on road was outstanding; it’s a very “fluent or fluid” bike and a very protective bike as well (I am guessing he is talking about wind protection when he says “protective bike”) with a better comfort than the legendary r1220gs…
Next is the Honda, Transalp, very easy bike to drive.. Noobie proof.. it is almost like a scooter!! It is a bike that gets the job done.. very god bike

And then is the Triumph, the new Tiger 800…. Which did not convince everybody as far as the cylcistic (I don’t know what he meant with “cyclistic”… I think he meant “ERGO”... according to the context). However its 3 cylinder engine is something that we did fall in love with"

Again..... Italian is not my tongue so this is not a word by word translation but I think we all get the idea...
ttfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #6334
ttfrank
Adventurer

^^^^^

Great video....

... but the poorest reviews I've heard about some of this bikes...
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #6335
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
'Tubeliss' Looks like an option worthy of consideration. Doesnt appear to be available in 17" rear though. ??
I've read a few reviews where the Tubeliss system melted and came apart just riding off road. IMHO, they have a ways to go to perfect this fiddly system and make it operational. I doubt they can afford the liability involved for claiming their system safe on highway. Giant leap.

I'd be more inclined to let a pro like Woody's Wheel works seal the spokes and convert the wheels to tubeless ones. Up front, I would always run a tube
(which is what Woody recommends) but the rear needs to be dealt with as repair is a PITA out on the road.

Tubeless conversion are not new ... has been done before.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #6336
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfrank View Post
I don't speak Italian, I speak Spanish but they are somehow alike, so this is what I understand about this review:

"The first 2… 1200 gs and 800 gs they have performed in an excellent way during this test; both the small 800 and the larger 1200 did excellent. The 800Gs had shown to be very, very efficacious in this trip, however the fuel consumption was a downside for this bike. Of course the 1200 gs happened to show better results as far as the fuel consumption and comfort.. good on road, good off road.

“The Comfirmation” and “The Surprise” in this test in Sicily were: “ The surprise” was the yamaha tenere, which despite being a mono-cylinder bike performed really well on road (of course, its off road behavior is superb)… “The Confirmation” was the KTM 990, it is really, really something off road with a good “globe trotter” (touring??) quality….

The last bikes in this group are this three “maxi-enduro” …. The Super Tenere, despite the Name it carries, showed that “off roading” it’s not the proper use for this bike, but its performance on road was outstanding; it’s a very “fluent or fluid” bike and a very protective bike as well (I am guessing he is talking about wind protection when he says “protective bike”) with a better comfort than the legendary r1220gs…
Next is the Honda, Transalp, very easy bike to drive.. Noobie proof.. it is almost like a scooter!! It is a bike that gets the job done.. very god bike

And then is the Triumph, the new Tiger 800…. Which did not convince everybody as far as the cylcistic (I don’t know what he meant with “cyclistic”… I think he meant “ERGO”... according to the context). However its 3 cylinder engine is something that we did fall in love with"

Again..... Italian is not my tongue so this is not a word by word translation but I think we all get the idea...
Nice Job TT! Close enough. I speak a bit of Spanish but only got about half a dozen things. Super knarly conditions and obviously some super talented riders on those bikes. The Italians are almost always in the top ten in ISDE and World Enduro.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #6337
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
LoriKTM - I've always been able to use side stand foot to break bead. I'm replacing Battlewings with Heidi's - dont imagine they will be any more compliant for removal. So... are you saying side stand is insufficient for task ? If so - guess I gotta add a bead breaker to kit. Im going to have to get a side car just to haul all the tools.
In fact, we had to use the sidestand trick at home to break the bead on the rear Battlewing. My 200 pound husband got on his Ulysses, while I placed the rear Tiger wheel under the sidestand. It took several minutes of working the sidestand against the bead and rotating the tire, but the bead finally....finallly! broke. We've changed many, many dirt bike tires and dual sport tires over the years (DR 650, KTM 640) and this was the first one that required the sidestand trick. Once the bead was broken (both sides) it was easy enough to extract the tube and replace it with a new one.

Me, I'd rather have a bit more elegant solution to break a bead while out in the field, so a bead popper or C-clamp is going in the tool kit. And I don't know that the sidestand trick is that useful if you are out alone.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #6338
ttfrank
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice Job TT! Close enough. I speak a bit of Spanish but only got about half a dozen things. Super knarly conditions and obviously some super talented riders on those bikes. The Italians are almost always in the top ten in ISDE and World Enduro.

Agree... great conditions to test this bikes...

But I don't know... a lot of super 10 fans can feel aggraviated by comments said (or suggests) like the new Super Tenere is "only the name stampted on it", implying that the "name"was the only legacy that this bike took from the legendary dakar super tenere.... what?.... come on.... you have seen what a skilled guy like Francesco Catanese can do over this new Super10...

Personally (tiger lover) felt very disapointed with his "comments about the tiger... in few words he said "excellent engine but weird cyclistic (something to do with ergonomics and design i guess)" ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

After driving this bikes more than 1000km across Sicily I was expecting a review more realistic, more objective and more professional than that.... something like: "beemer 1200 and 800 good bikes... ktm good off road not that confortble for long roads... and tiger 800 definetly, with no doubts, the absolute quintessence of the enduro bikes... simply outstanding..." Now, that would have been a great review.....

Shame on you Motociclismo Magazine reviewers...!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #6339
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
First oil change

After checking the oil level in the sight-glass today I noticed the oil looking at bit dark, so I just did the first oil / filter change on the Tiger XC at 380 miles. I recall someone commenting earlier in the thread on how clean the oil was at the first change, but I don't think that was the case with mine- the drained oil was somewhere between Stone IPA and Guinness in appearance (I opted not to confirm this with a taste test). Is this similar to other people observations or should I be watching out for something?
-lurkster- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #6340
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
Agree... great conditions to test this bikes...

But I don't know... a lot of super 10 fans can feel aggraviated by comments said (or suggests) like the new Super Tenere is "only the name stampted on it", implying that the "name"was the only legacy that this bike took from the legendary dakar super tenere.... what?.... come on.... you have seen what a skilled guy like Francesco Catanese can do over this new Super10...
Well The S10 is easy to pick up, works well on dirt and road, has lots of safety features that work really well, BUT if you get stuck uphill on Greasy mud you still have to push and extract 268Kg worth of bike and no amount of clever COG engineering makes it lighter to lift and push. Maybe they should install a winch as standard on the big PIGS. It's not an MX bike. Neither is anything that big.

The Triumph scored low because it's not Italian. The poms were on the wrong side in the war and they're still pissed about it.

(that was a joke, An insensitive one but still a joke)

Anyway, whatever. The Triumph is still a good thing that seems to make lots of people happy and it's not as heavy as the BIG Boys.

Did anyone notice that the tests are now FULL of adv variants rather than BMW vS BMW Vs KTM.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:52 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #6341
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Personally (tiger lover) felt very disapointed with his "comments about the tiger... in few words he said "excellent engine but weird cyclistic (something to do with ergonomics and design i guess)" ARE YOU SERIOUS??????
I don't know ... I kind of agree with him ... lots of tall people think the bars on the XC are too close for them and 5'11" me (after a test ride) thinks the bars are way too far away and very uncomfortable. It's probably possible to adjust the bars but ...

I also thought the engine was very nice (over about 3,000 rpm) but the gear ratios are a bit off (way too tight, with too high a first gear) ... I am also one of the few people who don't like the forks very much, but they might bed in I guess.

To be honest GrahamD I test rode the Super Tenere straight after the XC (and taking into account intended usage) I actually surprised myself by liking the ST10 more! Its very comfortable and has nice suspension ... still very heavy though and the motors really a bit of a yawn (especially compared to the Tiger XC).

Okay finished being devils advocate!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #6342
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,389
has anyone added the Touratech 20mm handlebar risers yet? Or the front fender riser? We ordered bar risers for me and I got the front fender riser, just a little metal piece that raises the front fender a bit more if you are using some sort of knobby or DS tire. I think the fender riser is an interesting accessory to have and hope it will help with any Dempster highway mud we might encounter or any other crappy roads that we hope are not wet but might be on our trip.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #6343
Guldur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
has anyone added the Touratech 20mm handlebar risers yet? Or the front fender riser? We ordered bar risers for me and I got the front fender riser, just a little metal piece that raises the front fender a bit more if you are using some sort of knobby or DS tire. I think the fender riser is an interesting accessory to have and hope it will help with any Dempster highway mud we might encounter or any other crappy roads that we hope are not wet but might be on our trip.
Mounted the front riser, perfect, waiting the stock tires to worn out before mounting K60.
I still have to mount Rox risers.
Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #6344
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,658
If the oil doesn't get dark, something is wrong with the bike. Color of the oil is not a valid indicator of its lubricating properties or of whether it needs to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lurkster- View Post
After checking the oil level in the sight-glass today I noticed the oil looking at bit dark, so I just did the first oil / filter change on the Tiger XC at 380 miles. I recall someone commenting earlier in the thread on how clean the oil was at the first change, but I don't think that was the case with mine- the drained oil was somewhere between Stone IPA and Guinness in appearance (I opted not to confirm this with a taste test). Is this similar to other people observations or should I be watching out for something?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #6345
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Have the 20mm risers, changing them for the XC risers, I have an 800. The xc risers raise the 800 30mm. Of the 20mm risers. Easy fit and work well. On the XC will make it that much easier to stand.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote