Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #6331
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Tampajim, what did you use for highway pegs? If my engine guards ever show up, then I want to do the same thing.

Pegs are black Rivco- they are the only ones I found that work because they have a angle adjustment.
The mounting clamps are a problem because the Triumph guard is only 7/8". Rivco makes this size in black but I used this one from Twisted Throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4665
because it allowed me to fabricate 4" extensions from 1.5" bar steel (Home Depot).

I'm not concerned about a side drop as the pegs will fold up behind the engine guards but I probably would be concerned about using those homemade 4" forward extensions if I were a serious off road rider. Then the stock 1.5" Rivco clamps might be the better solution.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #6332
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The VIN number tells what is your bike's model year. The 10th digit of the VIN is the international code for model year. If the 10th digit on your bike's VIN is a "B", the bike is a 2011 model. If it is a "C", it is a 2012 model year. So, for you guys with black frame bikes, is the 10th digit a B or a C?

Thanks
Lion
Graphite frame and I have a 'B'
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #6333
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
3Putt is that a aftermarket centerstand? Mine is a OEM Roadie, is black and doesn't look like that.
I have plenty of clearance but you do have to put the sidestand down first .
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #6334
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
I put the Touratech foot on too, but it made contact with the centerstand so I sent it back. A guy on the UK board had the same problem, said all he had to do was grind away 5mm.

That was me. Cut as required, for me about 5mm, off the corner nearest the centre stand. You still have to have the side stand out to use the centre stand, but to me that makes sense anyway.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #6335
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Yeah - my Touratech "foot" for side stand sticks on centerstand. Will need to do 'hatchet job' on offending foot part. Need bigger footprint here in the soggy NW - so dont want to send back. But...ya'd think Touratech would have gotten this right in first place - I'm sure were not the only ones with "sticky foot".
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #6336
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
3Putt is that a aftermarket centerstand? Mine is a OEM Roadie, is black and doesn't look like that.
I have plenty of clearance but you do have to put the sidestand down first .
Yes, OEM center stand.

Could post some pictures of your pegs?

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #6337
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Yeah - my Touratech "foot" for side stand sticks on centerstand. Will need to do 'hatchet job' on offending foot part. Need bigger footprint here in the soggy NW - so dont want to send back. But...ya'd think Touratech would have gotten this right in first place - I'm sure were not the only ones with "sticky foot".
Touratech told us to just use a dremel and grind it down 5mm where it hits...i am sure when they made this foot print extender they did not have the center stand on the bike. 2nd generation will be improved.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #6338
Harry Seaward
n00b

Oddometer: 9

Painted windscreen with r/c car paint along inside trim line.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #6339
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds View Post
Can I Play?
Just picked up last Friday. Loving it!
Beautiful.
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #6340
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,525
Couple of notes on the 800 XC:

1) If you need to change a flat out in the field, bring your best bead breaker. The rear Battlewing has a stiff carcass and is a mutha to break the bead. Details here by my husband after our last trip. Linky.
We had tools on the bike for changing tires out in the field, but hadn't taken into account the stiff Battlewing bead. Good thing we were at home when we changed the tube. We're adding a bead popper to our on-bike tool kit.

2) Just recorded my best tank of fuel so far (at 2600 miles on the odo). At 214.5 miles I took on only 3.92 gallons. For a whopping 54mpg!
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #6341
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
I don't think they had a centre stand available to check it against.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #6342
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Looking further into this...

Thanks for everyone who has replied so far. My guess based on more research is that the US VIN codes have the Model Year on the 10th digit, and the European VIN codes have this number on the 11th position. And that would make sense for all of you to have a "C" representing model year 2012 in either the 10th or 11th positions according to whether your bike was built for US or Europe. Of course, this may really not be right...

US VIN code:
Digit 1: Country of Origin
Digit 2: Manufacturer
Digit 3-8: Miscellaneous: body type, car line, restraint system, engine, braking system, etc.
Digit 9: Check Digit (1-9 or X)
Digit 10: Model Year
Digit 11: Assembly Plant Location
Digit 12 17: Sequential Vehicle Number

EU VIN code:
Position 1-3: World Manufacturer Identifier
Position 4+10: Body Type
Position 5-6: XX
Position 7: Line
Position 8: Assembly Plant
Position 9: Model
Position 11: Year
Position 12: Month
Position 13-17: Production Sequence Number
Well done for clearing up the differences. My registration paperwork has :-
"Product Range...................UNITED KINGDOM - 2012MY"
"Model...............................Tiger 800XC A1"
So I guess I've got a 2012 model.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #6343
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
Couple of notes on the 800 XC:

1) If you need to change a flat out in the field, bring your best bead breaker. The rear Battlewing has a stiff carcass and is a mutha to break the bead. Details here by my husband after our last trip. Linky.
We had tools on the bike for changing tires out in the field, but hadn't taken into account the stiff Battlewing bead. Good thing we were at home when we changed the tube. We're adding a bead popper to our on-bike tool kit.

2) Just recorded my best tank of fuel so far (at 2600 miles on the odo). At 214.5 miles I took on only 3.92 gallons. For a whopping 54mpg!
I am pleased to see more reports of high mpg, including myself. I got 51 yesterday on my roadie. That was a huge jump from the previous tank's 38.9 and numerous tanks at 40 to 43 before that. I did nothing different. I even got 50 going the opposite direction on the way home. I was trying to hold it around 65 going both directions. I have a little over 1400 miles.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #6344
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I am pleased to see more reports of high mpg, including myself. I got 51 yesterday on my roadie. That was a huge jump from the previous tank's 38.9 and numerous tanks at 40 to 43 before that. I did nothing different. I even got 50 going the opposite direction on the way home. I was trying to hold it around 65 going both directions. I have a little over 1400 miles.

Yeah, as you get more miles on the bike, it should continue to settle in. When my XC was new, I found myself getting in the 30s on the highway at 80-85mph even without luggage. Now, with almost 7000 miles on the bike, I'm regularly getting around 50mpg, +/- a couple of mpg depending on how aggressively I'm riding.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #6345
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Engine heat

Ok, I think I do have my first serious nit-pick on the bike. As many of you know, it's been pretty warm across the U.S. Mid 90's here in Iowa. My 800XC is definitely the hottest bike I've owned to ride in the summer. I'm 6'2" and I'm primarily feeling it on my knees and slightly below. It's the worst at around town speeds 25-45 but can still feel it at interstate speeds. My right knee gets slightly warmer than my left, but that's somewhat dependent on wind direction.

I'm primarily a jacket and jeans rider in the summer.

Last night The Girlfriend was on and she was complaining of heat she could feel, especially on her right (and she's not much of a complainer). I don't think it was from the exhaust, I think it was still engine heat coming back and hitting her up higher, more on her right arm.

If the temps are mid-80's and lower, really don't notice as much.

Anyone come up with any good solutions yet? Spring, fall, and winter it will be fine, but it's a cooker right now in the summer heat. It really looks like it's the air coming through the radiator and dumping out right on my knees around the cylinder head. This is actually my first water cooled street bike (kinda weird when I thought about it). Where do most water cooled bikes actually try to get the heat to go? Where is it actually going on an 800GS or a V-Strom? Do they try to run it more down under the motor or more straight out the sides around the rider?
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is online now   Reply With Quote