User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #6421
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
More first impressions

I brought my T800 home last weekend. It's used with about 2000 miles on it. I have been reading this thread and looking for a Tiger for a couple of months so I thought I knew what to expect. I was prepared for harsh suspension and a windshield that was more of a torture device than a wind deflector. Wasn't looking forward to either of these as I used to own a DL1000 that I spent way too much money on correcting these things.

Windshield:

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I think the windshield is almost as good as I ever got the Strom to be and I went through about 5 different windshields on the Strom. I know this is a very subjective thing, but I think it's safe to say that the OEM screen on the T800 is way better than the OEM screen on the Strom. I don't feel the need to start buying stuff to make it better.

Suspension:

I had to install Race Tech Cartridge Emulators in the forks of my Strom and a Wilbers shock on the back to get it to ride like I wanted it too. These transformed the Strom into a wonderful machine. I think the suspension on the T800 is just about 90% of what I was able to achieve on the Strom. If you think the front end is harsh, let it break in a bit before you start throwing money at it.

Overall:

I feel like I have finally found the bike for me. The Strom was nice but I never became fond of it's looks and it was too top heavy for me. The Tiger feels way lighter than the Strom. I have ordered Rox risers to help with my short reach. I want to add hand guards but haven't found exactly what I want yet. A luggage rack of some sort is in it's future and maybe some luggage but I may go the soft route this time. And lastly, a Fenda Extenda if it ever becomes available for the Tiger.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #6422
FlatlanderInVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I brought my T800 home last weekend. It's used with about 2000 miles on it.
Aren't there people still waiting for their preorders? Yet you managed to already find one for sale used! That's incredible to me.
FlatlanderInVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #6423
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,113
Quote:
Suspension:

I had to install Race Tech Cartridge Emulators in the forks of my Strom and a Wilbers shock on the back to get it to ride like I wanted it too. These transformed the Strom into a wonderful machine. I think the suspension on the T800 is just about 90% of what I was able to achieve on the Strom. If you think the front end is harsh, let it break in a bit before you start throwing money at it.
Why and how would you install cartridge emulators on a bike with cartridge forks?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #6424
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlanderInVT View Post
Aren't there people still waiting for their preorders? Yet you managed to already find one for sale used! That's incredible to me.
Keep your eyes on the flea market.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689225
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #6425
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Inverter

We will both be traveling with inverters on the Tigers...using one powerlet plug to constantly keep our iPhones charged so always plugged in and the inverter will use a cable made for the second aux plug we are getting installed by having a 12 volt cable with a powerlet plug in to be connected to our inverters that will be in our tank bags. This way if we are without electricity we can keep our cameras, intercoms, laptops all charged off our batteries.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #6426
Romulux
Next exit

Oddometer: 156
Hey, good to hear you finally brought it home and you like it!

Did you ever get a chance to demo or did you bring the Tiger home without having ridden one?

Quote:
I brought my T800 home last weekend. It's used with about 2000 miles on it. I have been reading this thread and looking for a Tiger for a couple of months so I thought I knew what to expect. I was prepared for harsh suspension and a windshield that was more of a torture device than a wind deflector. Wasn't looking forward to either of these as I used to own a DL1000 that I spent way too much money on correcting these things.

Windshield:

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I think the windshield is almost as good as I ever got the Strom to be and I went through about 5 different windshields on the Strom. I know this is a very subjective thing, but I think it's safe to say that the OEM screen on the T800 is way better than the OEM screen on the Strom. I don't feel the need to start buying stuff to make it better.

Suspension:

Overall:

I feel like I have finally found the bike for me. The Strom was nice but I never became fond of it's looks and it was too top heavy for me. The Tiger feels way lighter than the Strom. I have ordered Rox risers to help with my short reach. I want to add hand guards but haven't found exactly what I want yet. A luggage rack of some sort is in it's future and maybe some luggage but I may go the soft route this time. And lastly, a Fenda Extenda if it ever becomes available for the Tiger.
Romulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #6427
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Just got back from test riding a (black framed) white 2012 Tiger 800XC. First off, the engine heat was excessive, especially on this 90+ degree day. Standing on the pegs provided relief, which I did often. The standing position actually felt doable on this bike. I was wearing Mountain Hardware rock climbing pants which are close to Cordura in terms of airflow and abrasion resistance. Riding home from the dealer on my 2005 Girlie Tiger was much cooler and I never felt the need to stand up. Anyway, I was impressed with the engine's grunt and the way the bike felt for our 35+ miles together. I never took it over 5k because its new, but it was easy to tell this mill has plenty of balls for a medium displacement triple. The front end had a very pronounced pogo effect between 35-50 mph, probably from the Bridgestone Battlewing being improperly balanced, which is an easy fix. I hope the dealer took my advice to get it right. The only glaring fault, which is a deal breaker for me, is the tingling through the bars. My throttle hand was asleep by the time I pulled back into the dealer parking lot. I had gone over there fully prepared to write a check for that bike. Today. Anybody else experience this problem?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #6428
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Why and how would you install cartridge emulators on a bike with cartridge forks?
I think he was referring to former Vstrom.

100% agree on letting the suspension break in for a 1000 miles or so before getting creative ... but after that if it's not right you could:

Do a Re-valve ... could help with harshness/add plushness, improve rebound damping ... all equals better control, more confidence on a bumpy road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #6429
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Agreed. Also, keep in mind current Tiger 800 demos at dealers will be sold off once 2012 models begin to arrive. Must be a hundred or so demos about ... all will be for sale by October or November I'd think. Most dealers offer full 2 year warranty on demo bikes.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #6430
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
The only glaring fault, which is a deal breaker for me, is the tingling through the bars. My throttle hand was asleep by the time I pulled back into the dealer parking lot. I had gone over there fully prepared to write a check for that bike. Today. Anybody else experience this problem?
I experienced the same thing on my demo ride. Check out my report a few pages back. Given that very few people are reporting this, either we are really sensitive to the frequency of the vibes this engine puts out (doubtful), or we both rode bikes with a common "issue". I'm leaning towards the latter, especially given how poorly my bike's bars were set up (turned wayyyyy down, so much so that standing resulted in an uncomfortable hunched over affair).

Personally I would NOT let this make or break my decision on this bike. There are a ton of solutions for this, from different bars (Twinwall, Fastway Flex, etc.) to bar end weights to vibe isolating risers (this would likely be my choice since I'd need risers on this bike anyway....2 birds, one stone ). If the rest of the bike fits your needs, I say go for it!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #6431
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Windshield:

Suspension:

I agree about the screen because it took me far too many years and far too much money sorting the screen on my Girlie. Although with my Schuberth C3 I get terrible wind noise generated in the chin vent. So, I tried a Touratech wing that I had laying around and it transformed the bike. You can see it in this photo....

I'm now thinking that I may need the bigger screen.

Suspension on my XC is superb. A bit stiff at the moment but it works great when you start pushing the bike through bumpy corners at speed. The whole bike is so stable it inspires great confidence.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #6432
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I experienced the same thing on my demo ride. Check out my report a few pages back. Given that very few people are reporting this, either we are really sensitive to the frequency of the vibes this engine puts out (doubtful), or we both rode bikes with a common "issue". I'm leaning towards the latter, especially given how poorly my bike's bars were set up (turned wayyyyy down, so much so that standing resulted in an uncomfortable hunched over affair).

Personally I would NOT let this make or break my decision on this bike. There are a ton of solutions for this, from different bars (Twinwall, Fastway Flex, etc.) to bar end weights to vibe isolating risers (this would likely be my choice since I'd need risers on this bike anyway....2 birds, one stone ). If the rest of the bike fits your needs, I say go for it!

-SM
Found your post. Now I remember why I expected the motor to feel gutless. Surprisingly, it exceeded my expectations. Sounds like we both rode XCs that were similarly set up in regards to the bars. The local Triumph dealer is a chopper shop so the bike looked like a cruiser with buckhorns. Maybe I'll go back, but not until they get the front tire balanced and adjust those bars to a more upright position. It was too damn hot to wait around today and I've got a nasty sinus infection which excacerbated the heat. The bike temp display stayed between 94 and 100. I thought it was the odometer at first.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #6433
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:

The bike temp display stayed between 94 and 100. I thought it was the odometer at first.

My tiger ain't got no temp display. Is that sometning new on the 2012's???
Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6434
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
My tiger ain't got no temp display. Is that sometning new on the 2012's???
From what I understand there is not an ambiant temperature display on these bikes or is there? The dealer where we are getting the loaners from could not show us there was one nor could we find one like we have on the Beemers.

Does someone know something we don't know? if so, where is the temperature display?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #6435
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
From what I understand there is not an ambiant temperature display on these bikes or is there? The dealer where we are getting the loaners from could not show us there was one nor could we find one like we have on the Beemers.

Does someone know something we don't know? if so, where is the temperature display?
Something tells me all this ... and more ... would be covered in your owner's manual. Who knows what else you might learn about the bike!

If you're writing a review on the Tiger I'd suggest asking Triumph for a press kit. Then maybe do some follow up emails to Simon Warburton's office to address specific technical questions/issues you may have ... you know ... so as to avoid embarrassment in the review.