Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #6421
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,620
You can get to the odometer without having to turn the bike off and back on, but bike has to be stationary and in neutral. Hit the top button until it says "setup" in the display, then press the bottom button to select setup. Then hit the top button until the odometer is visible.

BTW this is covered in the owner's manual, page 26.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #6422
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
You can get to the odometer without having to turn the bike off and back on, but bike has to be stationary and in neutral. Hit the top button until it says "setup" in the display, then press the bottom button to select setup. Then hit the top button until the odometer is visible.

BTW this is covered in the owner's manual, page 26.

Come on.................who reads the owners manual? We need forums and dumb questions to give us something to do when it's lashing down outside.

Actually I skipped over "Set up" because I figured it was all set as I wanted it and I don't want to change anything.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #6423
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,261
Ri-ga-ma-role
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #6424
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,530
Personally, I never use the ODO on any of my bikes. It's always set on the trip meter, which gets reset every fill up. That way I know how many miles I have left to go before pushing. Only thing I use the ODO for is when to change the oil, so the odd glance at it every few months is good enough. A non-issue for me.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #6425
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Back looks like a TKC but front doesn't.
Looks like a TKC to me. Don't know if some of you are maybe thinking about what the 110/80-19 TKC looks like, but the 90/90-21 TKC has smaller, closer-spaced knobs than the 110 -- exactly the the tire in the photo.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #6426
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
540 Mile Report

As noted previously, I picked up an 800XC on Friday afternoon and the plan was to put 500-600 miles on it this weekend so that I could get the first service done on it early this week. Did about 70 miles on Friday afternoon/evening, 350 on Saturday and another 120 or so today.

Friday was all street, mostly some twisty two-lanes with a little bit of super slab. Took it pretty easy both on throttle and brakes to let things settle in.

Saturday I ran up to Tellico Plains to buy some new riding gear and since I was in the area, I did the Cherohala East and then back to Tellico Plains and then back home...was a good mix of twisties and sweepers. I did get in a little section of forest road that was pretty rocky and gnarly in places, only about 3 miles up and back...not enough to really learn much other than the throttle is really twitchy at low speed in 1st...oh, and the kickstand rattles in the rocky or heavy rutted/washboard section.

Today was about 25 miles of FS roads in the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest, West of Dahlonega which dumped me out on GA60 almost to Morganton...nice run back down 60 to Dahlonega and home...25 miles of tight twisties and great road, other than the descent from Woody Gap which is covered with tar snakes. They've been there a while, so really not much of a problem.

Yesterday I really found my comfort level with the bike in terms of street riding, got a good feel for the handling and brakes doing GA60 from Dahlonega to Morganton on the way up and pushed it pretty hard in the turns on the Cherohala...kickstand is showing some wear! Definitely a lot easier to ride fast than my RT. The standard 800 ought to be a blast with sticky street tires!

Today I wanted to put some miles on some FS roads and get a feel for the potential. The first 5 miles or so were mostly uphill on marginally maintained gravel with a lot of tight switchbacks and washboard sections as you'd climb away from the switchback...kickstand rattling and rear end chattering...need to tweak the damping a bit and see if that helps. Since I was riding alone, I didn't really push it...some guy went off the road and down a ravine a year or so ago...they found him expired a few days later. When I got to the parking area where the AT crosses and several of the FS roads intersect, I ran into a group of guys on typical DS bikes that were part of the this weekend's "Hooch" ride put on by Dixie Dual Sports. Fell in with a few of them and wicked it up a bit (good to have back up)...was able to keep up with them pretty easily once I got comfortable with the handling of the bike.

I had commented after my test drive a couple months ago that I didn't think the XC had all that much snap to it...well, it does when you're in dirt or gravel with the Battle Wings...doesn't take much to break the rear loose cornering, very easy to point it where you want to go. I'm looking forward to putting some knobs on this thing and having some fun! One thing I forgot to do was turn the ABS off, I didn't know what to expect, but it actually seemed to work pretty well when setting up for tight switchbacks, either uphill or downhill, but you couldn't really lock the rear up and slide it to turn if necessary. Because of the weight, you can't flick it around like my DRZ (and it's no petite thing), but I was impressed by the way it handled and how quickly I got comfortable on it. Short of gnarly single-track and doing whoops, I think this is going to be a very capable bike and do exactly what I bought it for without having to make a lot of spendy mods.

Looks like I'm getting a little over 200 miles to a tank if I fill up when there is one bar left...takes a hair over 4 gallons, so about 50mpg in mixed riding and keeping mostly under 75mph. Speaking of gassing, what dimwit put the two metal bars in the fuel filler mouth??? You have to be very careful not to let the nozzle stream hit those (almost impossible to do) or you'll get gas blown back out the filler!!! By the way, according to my GPS, the speedo is about 3mph fast, but mileage seems to be just about dead-on.

Some others here have commented about vibration in the bars and pegs...I don't notice it at any of the speeds I've been running...a non-issue with me and this bike. Keep in mind I've kept revs below around 5K up until now.

Heat...yeah, it gets hot when the temps are mid-90's or above and you're in stop and go traffic, especially when the fan comes on, gives you a good blast right on the legs when it kicks in. I don't see any way to mitigate the problem without having a fairing to duct it somewhere.

What I'd change...

Throttle response...riding off-road, the throttle is way to twitchy, almost like an on/off switch. I heard something about a new FI mapping that might fix this...can anyone confirm. I'll ask the dealer when I take it in on Tues or Wed for the 500mi service. One other thing I'm going to try is putting an o-ring between the throttle grip and the bar-end, I'm thinking it will help reduce sensitivity when standing and riding rocky or washboard sections. Anyone tried this?

Suspension...adjustable forks would be nice, but I've got more of an issue with the rear, perhaps some adjustment can fix that.

Handlebars, not enough sweep and need risers, to raise and move back in inch or so. Easy to fix.

Grips, too small and combined with leaning to far forward onto my hands, it's painful after an hour or so...I think another easy fix.

Grab handles...always banging into them when I get on/off the bike...I'll learn, but probably not before I look at removing/replacing them.

Tires...Battlewings are not bad on the street, but marginal off-road, not sure what I'll replace them with, open to suggestions, but I don't think I'll go full knobs unless temporary for a specific trip/ride that would be 90% off-road...and not so far away that they'd be toast by the time I got there.

Transmission...can't really change it, but whoever made the call on transmission ratios blew it! If I'm on the street, there is way too much shifting going on...no need for a six-speed tranny. Hell, this engine would be fine mated to a 4 speed, it's sooo tractable! A lower first gear and an overdrive 6th would be just the ticket.

I'm sure I'll think of some other things, but that will do it for now.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #6427
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I honestly can't remember if the Strom had cartridge forks or not.
DL650 : No cartridge forks, damper rod forks.
DL1000: Yes, Cartridge forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I've installed Race Tech valves in the last three bikes I've owned. They are worth every penny! Makes me wonder why the OEM's can't make their suspension work as well as the aftermarket can.
Plus One on Race Tech ... they can also work wonders on Cartridge forks with revised shim stacks, extra holes drilled, fork coatings and better oil.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #6428
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
As noted previously, I picked up an 800XC on Friday afternoon and the plan was to put 500-600 miles on it this weekend so that I could get the first service done on it early this week. Did about 70 miles on Friday afternoon/evening, 350 on Saturday and another 120 or so today.

Cheers,
We saw ya on Sat afternoon going along HWy180 headed towards 60 on the White XC?.
I rode the XC800 2 up on the Hooch ride this weekend, including OHV park. I've got TKC80's & they hooked up great on the pavement & pretty well on the Gravel & hardpacked dirt trails in the OHV park. They suck when they hit mud.
Bike performed great & it needs to be ridden hard...they come with a bunch of slop/ extra play in the Throttle cable, 2 minute adjustment & get the slop out & the jittery throttle reponse will be gone. The 1st gear is a little high for Single track, especially 2 up, however I don't think many folks will ride this bike on single track. We rode 200 miles on Sat with ABS turned on & even in the dirt/ gravel, I had zero issues with the ABS.
This morning we ran down 180 towards Blairsville & across the Richard Russell Parkway, talk about fun...my tire pressures were low from the Sat. DS ride & pulling thru the gears & getting her up inthe 8 to 9k range she really shines, the kickstand will drag on the asphalt & clatter a lot offroad.
I really enjoyed this bike this weekend!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6429
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bluhduh

Stupid me....Meant to post my first ride pic here, instead of the general thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697053
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #6430
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,380
so our loaner bikes have come in and will be built this week, two 2012 Crystal White Tigers XC w/ABS...and have them in our possession by the weekend. not really leaving a lot of time to break them in or get familiar with the bikes. but we will have 45 days on the Tigers and we are sure they will be a total blast to ride...

If anyone is interested we are going to try to do a live report from the road. Link in my signature...this trip should put about 14,000 KM on the bikes and we will get a good feel of the off road handling on this trip to Alaska.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #6431
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
Transmission...can't really change it, but whoever made the call on transmission ratios blew it! If I'm on the street, there is way too much shifting going on...no need for a six-speed tranny.

Cheers,
Nice report, very thorough.

Regarding the transmission, once you get past break-in, don't bother shifting so much.
The bike pulls from 3000rpm to 8000 rpm in any gear. Shortly after I got my bike, I was riding some twisties and was shifting all the time. Then I said "waitaminuite" and left it in 3rd gear for just about everything. Works great, and is easy. I can concentrate on setting up for the corner and not worry about what gear I'm in.

I concur about the grips-- I thought the stock grips were pretty small. I installed the Triumph heated grips, which are actually a bit larger diameter, and I find them more comfortable than the narrow stock grips.

I'm probably going to go with the Rox risers as well. But at over 2600 miles on my bike, I'm having too much fun to worry about it too much.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #6432
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Looks like a TKC to me. Don't know if some of you are maybe thinking about what the 110/80-19 TKC looks like, but the 90/90-21 TKC has smaller, closer-spaced knobs than the 110 -- exactly the the tire in the photo.

--mark
Thanks, Mark. I looked at a few pix online and it does look like a TKC to me, too. Guess I'll find out when I get out there to pick up the bike.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #6433
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I agree about the screen because it took me far too many years and far too much money sorting the screen on my Girlie. Although with my Schuberth C3 I get terrible wind noise generated in the chin vent. So, I tried a Touratech wing that I had laying around and it transformed the bike. You can see it in this photo....

I'm now thinking that I may need the bigger screen.
Soon you'll be able to reuse your 955i screen and brackets

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #6434
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada View Post
Soon you'll be able to reuse your 955i screen and brackets
You know what old mate. I was thinking of just bolting the medium on top of the standard screen just to try it. Space it out a bit so that it creates a laminar effect between the two screens.
I've seen your adjustment brackets for the 800s but I needed something at the top and, maybe, extra all round.
If you need a bike to fit to, give me a call.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #6435
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 413
Hi, I have a Tiger 800XC as well and the results are impressive so I'm sure this will work for you.
As usual, you are welcome to pop round for a butchers!

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote