Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #6481
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I think I'm going to end up doing the TWAT over the July 4th weekend on the Tiger and want to put something knobbier on it. I really want to try the Heindenau's but the rear is backordered until early July.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but what are my options besides TKC80's? Looks like Metzler Karoo (MCE and Traveler versions) and Pirelli Scorpion Rally's from what I can tell.

The Karoo Traveler looks interesting (and expensive). Other options I should consider? Compare/contrast of the above options?
Mitas E10 is my next set, presently running TKC80's. I rode 800 miles offroad in S Africa on 1200 Tenere & they worked great. I tried to buy the Mitas tires here in the States & the importer never got back to me & I was in a hurry...that was the reason for going with TKC's.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #6482
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,540
Can the color of the bike be determined by the VIN? Triumph emailed me my replacement bike VIN but failed to tell me the color and I haven't heard back from them yet.
The bike it's replacing was Crystal White but I told them I'd take that or Venom Yellow. I do know it's a 2012 model. VIN SMTE05BFXCJ50xxxx
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #6483
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
day3

A very lovely ride, wonderful suspension.

Things that concern me:

Passenger pegs are welded to the frame. I am pondering cutting these off before I bend the subframe in a drop.

Passenger peg bars are not capped. Rust. Wonder what other frame parts are not capped.

The radiator! The only thing protecting the radiator is, the radiator. Its the lowest big piece of plastic on with a screw in it, right in front of the head of the motor. The screw mounting the plastic screws right into the radiator. It sticks out further to the sides than anything on the bike [except the blinker]. First fall seems like I am going to have a reconfigured radiator, or a cracked/punctured/not going home radiator? Dag. Guards on order.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #6484
dhula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
Things that concern me:

Passenger pegs are welded to the frame. I am pondering cutting these off before I bend the subframe in a drop.
Someone has already done this and needed a new frame according to dealer. Do you think bolted pegs will be any better tho.

Quote:
Passenger peg bars are not capped. Rust. Wonder what other frame parts are not capped.
The end of the frame near the tail light is one that I know of, not sure of any other yet.

You'll also be disappointed with the length of the chain guard (I know I am) and heat that spills onto your right leg/foot when the fan kicks in

Apart from that there are the normal things such as mileage to a tank and wind buffeting from the screen, everything else is pretty good I recon
dhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #6485
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

Things that concern me:

The radiator! The only thing protecting the radiator is, the radiator. Its the lowest big piece of plastic on with a screw in it, right in front of the head of the motor. The screw mounting the plastic screws right into the radiator. It sticks out further to the sides than anything on the bike [except the blinker]. First fall seems like I am going to have a reconfigured radiator, or a cracked/punctured/not going home radiator? Dag. Guards on order.

Radiator is held on with 1 bolt and 1 pin onto 2 lugs at the top and one arm at the bottom to stop it swinging forwards. I know because I have already bent te lugs when stacked it in some sand dunes. Better the lugs bending than the radiator distorting. Some protection up there is in order but crash bars done do much in soft sand. There's too little surface area.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #6486
when the road bends
hello

how could they do us like that with the radiator?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #6487
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
new farkles

for all you hipsters out there with an iPhone, i just bought the iBracket from Touratech... so far it's "ok." I can feel the vibration el Tigre is putting into the phone, which will probably fatigue something in the phone in short order.

I guess I'll let you know how it goes...
Attached Images

bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #6488
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Check out these water crossings

Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #6489
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
how could they do us like that with the radiator?
Do what exactly ? In a tip over, do you want the bracket to break or the radiator ? I know what I want....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #6490
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Very limited aggressive knobies for the Tiger rear in a 150 size. 21" Fronts are available throughout many brands and types, no problem there, take your pick.

Rears? Not many in a 150/17 :
TKC80 is probably the best bet mostly because it will last if ridden on paved roads and works OK on dirt ... much better than stock or any 80/20
type tire like the Pirelli Scorpion Rally (street tire).

IMO you could easily run a 130/17 on the Tiger. You just don't need a big fat rear tire riding off road. If you go with the 130 this opens you up to a couple more tire choices:
New Kenda Big block
Michelin T-63

Perhaps a couple more .... look around. The T-63's are bargain priced and are very good.
FYI... The Kenda Big Block is available in 150/70-17. It looks like a good alternative to the TKC-80, though reports so far are that it wears faster.

The Pirelli Scorpion Rally is not an 80/20 street tire -- you may be thinking of the Scorpion Trail. The Rally is an aggressive knobby that looks like it would do well in the dirt, though I'm sure it wears down very quickly on pavement.

There's also the Metzeler MCE Karoo (also very aggressive and fast-wearing) and the Karoo T (similar to the TKC-80 or Big Block). Both come in a 150/70-17 rear.

With more of these bikes on the market, I expect more dirt-oriented tires will become available in the 150/70-17 size. I personally am hoping for a Dunlop D908...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #6491
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Check out these water crossings
Good find. That's the best Tiger video out there. Thanks for sharing.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #6492
when the road bends
hello

i just mean it sticks really far out to the sides, and the top two mounts are so strong, for the bottom bracket to bend, your gonna have to bend the radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Do what exactly ? In a tip over, do you want the bracket to break or the radiator ? I know what I want....

Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #6493
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 477
Quote:

Things that concern me:

Someone smart needs to figure out a way to accurately cut the peg supports off near the frame (with the help of some sort of template) and then be able to re-attach them when/if they are needed. Perhaps some sort of pin and sleave arrangement.

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #6494
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Someone smart needs to figure out a way to accurately cut the peg supports off near the frame (with the help of some sort of template) and then be able to re-attach them when/if they are needed. Perhaps some sort of pin and sleave arrangement.
They don't have to be smart.

The smart person might look at the passenger brackets and notice the tubing that holds the passenger pegs on is thin walled compared to the main subframe, so the chances of actually bending the frame are small.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #6495
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:

Things that concern me:

Passenger pegs :-
Being welded on is not unique. Most BMWs are also welded on and I don't think bolted on ones would be any better at protecting the frame apart from the fact that you could take them off. But, then something else is going to touch down first in a spill.
If you want to stop rust just spray some ACF50 up the tubes.
I like the fact that the tubes are uncapped because SWmotech have used those tube to anchor the pannier frames.

The radiator does (well mine does anyway) have a guard on it already. It's plastic and probably flimsy but it's there and has a honey comb pattern. Take a closer look at yours before you start criticizing.