Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #6541
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I was browsing this thread last night, which I don't normally keep up with, and thought the 800 folks here might like to see this...

No connection to this myself, and apologies if its been posted already. I searched the thread briefly, but didn't see anything.

NOLA motorsports, a guy riding an 800 on dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbC313i4_CQ&feature=youtu.be
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #6542
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Not one comment?
That doesn't look good?

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #6543
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand View Post
I was browsing this thread last night, which I don't normally keep up with, and thought the 800 folks here might like to see this...

No connection to this myself, and apologies if its been posted already. I searched the thread briefly, but didn't see anything.

NOLA motorsports, a guy riding an 800 on dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbC313i4_CQ&feature=youtu.be
That is the New Orleans Triumph/Ducati/Vespa dealer, Transportation
Revolution. They are sponsoring the new track outside New Orleans which is not finished. My guess is that is where they were riding in that video. Last time I was there for service I saw the 800 in the storage area and wondered how it got so dirty.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #6544
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Going to the dealer for a test ride on an XC ABS tomorrow. I'd buy the road version but they don't have one to demo. Multistrada is still on my mind but I'm trying to block it out and save some cash. The dealer doesn't have one of those available to demo either, probably a good thing :)

Road owners, can you push the bike pretty good in the corners? I'm coming off of a modern sportbike, how disappointed will I be with the tiger? I'm talking handling here, not power. Other than the kickstand, does anything else drag?

I'd really love to get an XC for tall, adjustable front suspension, but the 21" front and non-tubeless tires spoil it for me.
I've never owned a modern sport bike, but with sticky tires you will be able to make em look bad with your Tiger! The 800 handles great. The suspention is a little harsh on small bumps but it really is rock solid in the turns.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #6545
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
[QUOTE=Birdy68;16169050]They bolt on the upper engine-Frame mount Right & Left sides + on the lower center stem from head-stem to light unit.

Haven't got a shot of the center fixing point - yet....

looks like this will work with the triumph bars! good to hear! thanks for the pic!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #6546
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Two dashboard display questions, looked through my manual front to back and did searches and didn't come up with anything.

1. I'm doing my own service. How do you reset the Service Interval indicator (the little wrench) in the display? In the Setup menu I can get to a display that I think is showing "SIA" at the top and the negative mileage past the service interval at the bottom, but I can't figure out how to reset it. The manual just says the dealer will do it.

Thanks!

i would consult your dealer before you do your own service. i was told by an ex triumph mechanic that if you do your own service it voids your warranty... this could be totally wrong! i personally like the piece of mind that if something does go wrong i can at least hold someone responsible.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #6547
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Not one comment?

I didn't see the photos you posted in the thread.

I'd fix it and keep riding it.

..Or total it
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #6548
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
this could be totally wrong!

It is.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #6549
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I spent over an hour on a Multistrada, but still bought the 800XC...the MS was fun, but in the end it was not as practical from a Dual Sporting perspective (did I just use the word practical with regard to a motorcycle???). I've spent a few hours on mostly dry FS roads and a little time on more of a rocky jeep trail...the bike is surprisingly competent, but this is a 450lb pig after all.

I would have to agree with this. If your intended use is 50/50 (street/dirt), the Multi is not the best choice. It will do it, but given the limited selection of off-road oriented tires (almost none, and no knobbies that are actually made to fit a 190 rear), there are certainly better choices out there (if you want/need liter-class power, the KTM 990 Adv springs to mind ). 90/10, with the 10 being forest service type roads? Yeah, that's more Multi territory.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #6550
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I spent over an hour on a Multistrada, but still bought the 800XC...the MS was fun, but in the end it was not as practical from a Dual Sporting perspective (did I just use the word practical with regard to a motorcycle???). I've spent a few hours on mostly dry FS roads and a little time on more of a rocky jeep trail...the bike is surprisingly competent, but this is a 450lb pig after all.

I live a few minutes from several roads that are mini versions of Deal's Gap and I can tell you that you won't be disappointed in the handling of the 800XC in the twisties, it's a whole lotta fun even though the BattleWings aren't exactly sportbike grade tires. If you go with a more 50/50 tire, which I plan to do, that will change and I'm fine with that.

The front suspension is NOT adjustable, only the rear.

If I weren't thinking of putting more of a 50/50 tire on the XC and spending a fair amount of time on unpaved roads or trails, I'd probably have gotten the 800 Road or the MS.

Cheers,
Yeah that's the thing, I plan on 95% if not 100% road riding. So it's going to be either T800 Road or Multi for me.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #6551
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I would have to agree with this. If your intended use is 50/50 (street/dirt), the Multi is not the best choice. It will do it, but given the limited selection of off-road oriented tires (almost none, and no knobbies that are actually made to fit a 190 rear), there are certainly better choices out there (if you want/need liter-class power, the KTM 990 Adv springs to mind ). 90/10, with the 10 being forest service type roads? Yeah, that's more Multi territory. -SM
Based on my brief test rides of the 1200 Multi I honestly don't think it is even mild dirt road capable. The bike is super light weight for a 1200, super fast and capable on a smooth road ... but I'd bet the wheels will not stand a bashing the way the XC Tiger's will off road. Even a mild drop would quickly get into the thousands of dollars on the Multi. And with pure street tires ... just asking for trouble IMHO.

Agreed the KTM 990/950 is a better bet ... but honestly it's not even close in the HP dept. The Multi puts out around 150 HP ... the 990 around 95 (on a good day). A good rider on a Multistrada can pretty much keep pace with most sport bikes. Add a real world tight, bumpy road: Advantage Multi. Add a ten hour day: Advantage Multi. Add luggage: Multi again.

But both the KTM 990 and Tiger 800/XC are both more versatile bikes.

Do you really want to zoom up to 150 mph on a regular basis? Sure it's fun ... but poses some risks. The Tiger 800 and XC both have far more versatility than the 1200 Multistrada, albeit down 70 HP ... and of course $7000 usd cheaper! Even the street version 800 with proper tires is off road capable as there are some very good 19" fronts out there, both 50/50 types and TKC80 knobbies. AND THEY ARE TUBELESS!

I think both Tigers may need a bit of suspension break in or tweaking ... but what bike doesn't? The Tiger feels small and tidy and exudes rider confidence. Maybe not a great big man bike ... see KTM 990 for a great big guy bike ... but the Tigers fit me perfect, like it was made for me.

It packs up well, good traveler. It can scratch knarly back roads but with mild power and torque, much will depend on rider skill. When the road turns to dirt you don't even have to slow down. Lots to like there!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6552
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Going to the dealer for a test ride on an XC ABS tomorrow. I'd buy the road version but they don't have one to demo. Multistrada is still on my mind but I'm trying to block it out and save some cash. The dealer doesn't have one of those available to demo either, probably a good thing :)

Road owners, can you push the bike pretty good in the corners? I'm coming off of a modern sportbike, how disappointed will I be with the tiger? I'm talking handling here, not power. Other than the kickstand, does anything else drag?

I'd really love to get an XC for tall, adjustable front suspension, but the 21" front and non-tubeless tires spoil it for me.
I think you'll find that you'll probably be faster on something like the Tiger or MS on most of our real roads now a days. Some of our best twisty roads around here aren't the smoothest and are hard to ride quickly on a pure sport bike. But given a few more inches of suspension travel and they're a blast.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #6553
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks View Post

saying that i am totally wrong is a stretch. they could still say you did something wrong and then you are screwed.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #6554
when the road bends
hello

Oddometer: 465
hmmm....

Cutting off passenger pegs = voided warranty?

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
when the road bends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #6555
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
saying that i am totally wrong is a stretch. they could still say you did something wrong and then you are screwed.
I was told the same thing when we bought my wife's Street Triple. They asked when I would be bringing it in for it's first service and would I like to book an appt. I politely said I wouldn't be bringing the bike back, I do all my own servicing and would only bring it back if there were recalls on it. The service writer said that would void my warranty.

I wasn't about to argue and could care less because as long as you keep decent records that you have performed the service required, then they will honor warranty work.

I'd be surprised if this was coming from Triumph corporate and not just a way for a dealer to try to "force" service work. Reality is if Triumph had a few more dealers scattered around the country, then maybe a lot more of us could use them for service. My closest dealer is over 2 hours away so not real convenient and for things like a valve inspection they need the bike cold, so that means either a 4 hour round trip twice in two days, or a hotel stay, just to service a bike. No thanks, I have a nice shop to work in.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote