Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #6736
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sorry on the KLX and WR ... (cutting pasting from old post) I thought the XR-L had a 17 rear ... specs I found show it as a 17", but you own it ... so you would know. Are the new XR-L's the same as your bike?
According to Honda's website, it's still an 18" rear.

I don't think they've changed anything but graphics on this bike in the nearly 20 years it's been in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
As far as width ... the guys riding F800GS are fitting 140 size Heidenau rear tires on their bikes and feedback is good. Not so much on the front Heidenau however. I'm thinking a 140/17 could work OK on the Tiger as well. No idea how it would affect handling on road. Should be better off road.
Agreed, the 140s should work okay on the Tiger. Should even be possible to fit a 130, but the profile will be very flattened out. Okay off road, but it would suck for cornering on pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Also appears more companies are tooling up to provide more aggressive tires in the larger sizes. Kenda for example. Shinko can't be far behind. Keep an eye on them, they are moving fast. Pirelli is big in S. America, we could see more from them too? (Big Pirelli factory in Brazil) I feel in very near future Tiger XC owners will not be the victim of Gourmet $180 dual sport tires. If the Tiger continues to take off I think more choices are a good bet.
Agreed. Pirelli already offers the Scorpion Rally in a 150/70-17 rear. I'd be surprised if other manufacturers weren't working on their own fairly aggressive dual-sport tires to fit the Tiger and GS.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #6737
tart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Just back from renting an XC for four days in Iceland, never had a bike with ABS and quite impressed. Seriously thinking of a purchase in the not to distant future.

tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #6738
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Great picture tart!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #6739
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
Triumph was ranked second behind the japanese bikes by one of the bigger magazines for dependability, cost to operation and overall owner satisfaction. The old triumphs leaked, vibrated and had terrible ignitiond and electronics. Today, I am willing to bet the new Triumph Adventure bikes will be more cost efficient to operate than the more expensive Bavarian Adv. bikes. I also hear that BMW has just now dealt with their quality control issues. Triumphs are one of the best bikes made and I hope to have one of their 800cc adv bike in my garage soon.
Check out this thread from owners of F800GS, many have done serious long distance rides. Some shocking revelations from real owners doing tough rides.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...raveling-56508
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #6740
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Check out this thread from owners of F800GS, many have done serious long distance rides. Some shocking revelations from real owners doing tough rides.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...raveling-56508
Horizons unlimited folks usually say the best bikes for long distance travel are the air-cooled DR650 or the ubiquitous KLR 650. And they are probably right, as all bikes breakdown, including the DR650 or the KLR650. But they are less complex than a BMW F800GS or Triumph Tiger 800, parts are cheap, repairs are easily made. And if you have to ditch them, well, you just let them go.

Conversely, we should know that breaking down in the middle of nowhere does not mean the end of the adventure. It can be the beginning. Point in case, let's take a look at Che Guevara. If he was riding on a KLR instead of a Norton (if KLRs existed then, of course) he would had made it to Panama and from there probably to the United States. He certainly would not have become the Che Guevara of the history we know today.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #6741
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Horizons unlimited folks usually say the best bikes for long distance travel are the air-cooled DR650 or the ubiquitous KLR 650. And they are probably right, as all bikes breakdown, including the DR650 or the KLR650. But they are less complex than a BMW F800GS or Triumph Tiger 800, parts are cheap, repairs are easily made. And if you have to ditch them, well, you just let them go.

Conversely, we should know that breaking down in the middle of nowhere does not mean the end of the adventure. It can be the beginning. Point in case, let's take a look at Che Guevara. If he was riding on a KLR instead of a Norton (if KLRs existed then, of course) he would had made it to Panama and from there probably to the United States. He certainly would not have become the Che Guevara of the history we know today.

Lion
Go Che' He's still a folk Hero in Argentina ... thanks to the funky Norton he and his partner were on.

Actually, if you follow HU much you'll see the DR's popularity is sort of "Johnny Come Lately". The KLR is more established in that world ... but not well liked by the mostly British based HU clientele. They are far more likely to be on F650 BMW, R80 or R100GS, XT600 Yamaha's or these days ... random Chinese 250's. (the younger guys mostly) The older guys from UK and EU stay true to BMW and most are on R1200GS. Look at the monthly news letter from riders on the road to see this.

The KLR's got known by HU riders because so many USA riders used them.
Then the Aussies, Kiwi's and some Euros began their adventure rides by flying into USA, buying a KLR and heading South. Cheapest, most practical way to get started. The really dumb ones spent $3000 shipping their bikes somewhere.

The DR is largely unknown on the Gringo Adventure Rider trail outside of Latin America. Any you may see generally started in the USA. You can't buy a DR anywhere I know of in Europe. You can in Oz however.

Tiger Content!!!
I await anxiously for ride reports on HU and ADV of Tiger 800 riders getting out there. Hoping a few show up this Summer.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 11:14 PM Reason: grammer
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #6742
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Yep they are the Continental TKC80's. The dealer swaped them out for me when I bought the bike. So far I really like them. They work great for off road. I also can not believe how well the bike handles on the street with them. With that said I havnt owned this bike with a more street oriented tire. I am sure the bike would handle better with one, but for what they are, they handle amazing! I have yet to see how many miles I can get out of them. It would certainly help if I didnt ride it like a Moto GP bike everywhere I go.
I found the TKC's to be disapointment, they slip in mud & suck in deep sand. On the road they handled great with just a little more road noise. I rode some single track in GA 2 weeks back, 2 up & they did great on the hard packed clay. I guess I was expecting to grip more like knobbie ....not bad as a do it all tire
Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #6743
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Go Che' He's still a folk Hero in Argentina ... thanks to the funky Norton his and his partner were on.
One man's folk hero is another's terrorist...Che Guevara was one of the most oppressive men of his generation. He was violently against free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly and protest, and anti-gay...funny how many youth today idolize him and wear the t-shirt.
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #6744
JJMTCHNV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
No triumph in sin city!?!

I can't believe theres not a triumph dealer in vegas. Not that I could afford one now anyway It would just be fun to see one in person. Closest dealer looks to be in San Brnadino.
JJMTCHNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #6745
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
I found the TKC's to be disapointment, they slip in mud & suck in deep sand. On the road they handled great with just a little more road noise. I rode some single track in GA 2 weeks back, 2 up & they did great on the hard packed clay. I guess I was expecting to grip more like knobbie ....not bad as a do it all tire
the way i see it is, you cant expect one tire to do everything. a straight up dirt bike can have trouble in mud and deep sand! you said it perfect when you said not bad as a do it all tire...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #6746
MJNygs
El Duderino

Oddometer: 9
Brand new rider here, picked up my first bike (2012 Tiger 800XC) a couple of weeks back and will be taking a roadtrip over the weekend that will bring the odometer close to 1000 miles. Given that the bike only has about 150 miles on it so far, I've not yet taken it in for its first service which is supposed to be at 500-600 miles. Question is, how much risk am I taking on by piling on the miles before the first service?

Am planning on having it serviced shortly after my return, but wanted to get reactions from some of the more experienced riders out there. As long as I'm not beating up the engine with consistent, high rpms, I'm assuming everything should be ok (right?). Thoughts?

Thanks!
MJNygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #6747
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJNygs View Post
Brand new rider here, picked up my first bike (2012 Tiger 800XC) a couple of weeks back and will be taking a roadtrip over the weekend that will bring the odometer close to 1000 miles. Given that the bike only has about 150 miles on it so far, I've not yet taken it in for its first service which is supposed to be at 500-600 miles. Question is, how much risk am I taking on by piling on the miles before the first service?

Am planning on having it serviced shortly after my return, but wanted to get reactions from some of the more experienced riders out there. As long as I'm not beating up the engine with consistent, high rpms, I'm assuming everything should be ok (right?). Thoughts?

Thanks!
I would just do an oil change the night before you leave to be safe. Unless you have time during your trip to get i changed at a shop.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #6748
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
I would just do an oil change the night before you leave to be safe. Unless you have time during your trip to get i changed at a shop.
I second that.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #6749
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
First Service

I went on my first long ride before my first service was completed. Started ride at 450 miles on the clock ended with 1320. It was a non-issue and oil was still in good shape, probably could have gone longer without it. Not that I would want to, mind.
If your worried then, like others have stated, just do it before you leave on your long trip.
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6750
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJNygs View Post

Thanks!
call your dealer and talk to the service guy. i did the same thing and ended up around 800. they told me even 1000 was no big deal.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote