Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #6856
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsTiger View Post
The owners manual recommends 42 psi rear and 36 in the front. I had TKC80s installed at the dealer prior to picking the bike up. The dealer inflated to the recommended 42 & 36 psi. The rear sidewall states 34 psi maximum measured cold. I asked the dealers service dept as well as a local tire dealer about inflating to 42. Both stated it was ok and that I should keep the pressure at 42. I must admit I am not comfortable with having 24% more inflation than the stated maximum. This is my first heavy adventure bike so I am hoping some of you with TKC80 experience on heavy bikes will offer your opinion or recommendation on inflation. Thank you in advance.

KsTiger
hey Ken, 42 seems very high to me also. How does the bike feel going round corners? TKC's are always "skittish" when brand new ... so allow break in time. They get better.

I've only run TKC's on dual sport singles and run them pretty low. For road on my DR650: 22 front, 25 rear. (stock Suzuki pressures) Off road on DR650: 17 front, 20 rear. I did ride a friend's Wee Strom with a front TKC80 ... no idea what pressure he was running. Bike handled great on dirt roads.

Honestly, I would go over to the Parallel Universe (F800GS BMW) forum and ask the BMW guys what pressures are working for them. I would expect pressure will need to be different for Road as opposed to Off Road.
The BMW guys have been running TKC's for a couple years now and lots do off road. Find out what is working for them, I'm sure you'll get a thousand opinions.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #6857
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
heated grips- has anyone hooked these up diy? I would like to order and install them myself, dont want to get dinged $90 for the install.
Not difficult.

Instructions at www.triumphinstructions.com

Type in part number A9638058,

select your language and there's the pdf file for you.
KildareMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #6858
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,592
KsTiger,
It's important to understand that the Triumph-recommended pressures are for the stock tires only. If you start swapping tires around, you're going to have to experiment a bit to find the right pressures.

That said, you should not inflate the TKCs (or any tire) beyond the maximum cold inflation pressure listed on the sidewall. It's dangerous.

If the tire says max 34 psi, then that's the max.

Overinflating could lead to sudden failure.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #6859
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by when the road bends View Post
heated grips- has anyone hooked these up diy? I would like to order and install them myself, dont want to get dinged $90 for the install.
Check here to see if the instructions have been posted yet.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #6860
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken View Post
It's an all day job, and not too bad as long as you're not in a hurry. You do have to remove the tank, and all the plastic from the front of the bike. The directions state to remove the tank per the factory manual, or something like that, so it is nicer if you have the manual, or access to one. Good chance to get to know your bike. If you have no patience, or no eye for detail, or no place with shade and tools, pay the dealer. Ken
You do not need to remove the gas tank, or even the right-side plastics, to fit the heated grips.

Here's a how-to I wrote for fitting Symtec grip heaters; the Triumph grips would be even easier.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #6861
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
You do not need to remove the gas tank, or even the right-side plastics, to fit the heated grips.

Here's a how-to I wrote for fitting Symtec grip heaters; the Triumph grips would be even easier.
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1593.0.html

--mark
Have to say that having just done my install with R&G heated grips I couldn't see the connector hanging down so I had to remove the tank. The connector was taped up tight against the frame rail. And, blimey! There are lots & lots of bolts to undo to get all the plastics off.
When I've got the photos uploaded on my Photobucket account I'll add to your thread on the T800 forum.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #6862
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsTiger View Post
The owners manual recommends 42 psi rear and 36 in the front. I had TKC80s installed at the dealer prior to picking the bike up. The dealer inflated to the recommended 42 & 36 psi. The rear sidewall states 34 psi maximum measured cold. I asked the dealers service dept as well as a local tire dealer about inflating to 42. Both stated it was ok and that I should keep the pressure at 42. I must admit I am not comfortable with having 24% more inflation than the stated maximum. This is my first heavy adventure bike so I am hoping some of you with TKC80 experience on heavy bikes will offer your opinion or recommendation on inflation. Thank you in advance.

KsTiger
___

FWIW, I just put TKC80's on and thought the Triumph numbers were too high for the rear. I'm running 33-35 in both the front and rear and will drop to probably around 22 for all day gravel/dirt rides. Really happy with how the TKC80's work on the street. Great traction and handling with only moderate hum (although they are still pretty new). Less noisy than I would have guessed... and of course, they look bad-ass on the bike.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #6863
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I just rec'd mine after waiting 2 months. Downloaded the instructions, 8 pages. looks like fun.
I did it in sbout 1 1/2 hrs, without removing the tank. It's a little tight to fish out the connector with the tank on but it is doable. Everything else is easy to get to after removing all the plastic bits. The grips work well. but the green light for the low setting is hard to see in the daytime.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #6865
fxrjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I just picked up my 800xc. The bike is an absolute dream to ride, its light, well balanced and has plenty of power. After a 50 mile ride to work from the dealership I had two observations

1. The seat sucks. Badly. I didn't care for the positioning or the foam. I can't actually think of a stock seat I have disliked as badly as this one. Anyone with the gel seat think its a worthwhile upgrade.

2. I got the buzziness in the handlebars other people have mentioned. It was surprising that after an hour of riding, my fingers with numb and tingling. I typically ride Harleys so I am used to vibrations, so this was a new experience for me.

I will say for the record, I love this bike and it was all I expected and more.
fxrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #6866
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrjon View Post
I just picked up my 800xc. The bike is an absolute dream to ride, its light, well balanced and has plenty of power. After a 50 mile ride to work from the dealership I had two observations

1. The seat sucks. Badly. I didn't care for the positioning or the foam. I can't actually think of a stock seat I have disliked as badly as this one. Anyone with the gel seat think its a worthwhile upgrade.
I'll second that. I doubt the gel seat will help unless the shape is different. My plan is build my own using info found here:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #6867
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
T*g*i*f*h........800xc

T -Thank
G-God
I- It's
F- Finally
H- Here

Picked up my new ride here in Iowa, headed right for the gravel. I can not get the smile off my face to say anything at all. I guess I will just start installing all these extras and put some miles on this bad boy.

vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #6868
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Quote:

2. I got the buzziness in the handlebars other people have mentioned. It was surprising that after an hour of riding, my fingers with numb and tingling. I typically ride Harleys so I am used to vibrations, so this was a new experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
I'll second that. I doubt the gel seat will help unless the shape is different. My plan is build my own using info found here:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/
I have a stock seat assy. for sale in the flea market, if you want to have it professionally done. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701061 I'm waiting for my rebuilt seat to return from the seat guy. Will report on it when I get it back.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #6869
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:

i hated mine at first too. try to put the front in the high position and the rear in the low position. it helps a ton IMO.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #6870
-lurkster-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i hated mine at first too. try to put the front in the high position and the rear in the low position. it helps a ton IMO.
I had a go with this combination and liked it, but this is one of the things listed in the manual as 'likely to cause loss of control leading to an accident'. Any idea where the danger is?
-lurkster- is online now   Reply With Quote