Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #6856
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
It's not an issue, it's normal (it's the exhaust burble on deceleration being swallowed up by the cat), and it's been thoroughly documented.

Just because the display shows a tiny wrench in the corner? You can just ignore it, you know...

--mark
It bothers me because it's Triumphs way of saying they don't consider the bike user-serviceable. It's Triumph saying they would rather make their dealerships happy than their owners, because those service lights are put in purely to make dealers happy. And good luck selling it with the service light on. They know they've got you.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 06-30-2011 at 08:45 AM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #6857
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
It bothers me because it's Triumphs way of saying they don't consider the bike user-serviceable. It's Triumph saying they would rather make their dealerships happy than their owners, because those service lights are put in purely to make dealers happy.
Well, lots and lots of vehicles do exactly the same thing and I'm sure it won't be long before a reset tool will be available. Or, as Mark suggests, just ignore it.....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #6858
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Service indicator? What a PITA. Think I just decided to keep my V-Strom.
Your loss, it doesn't upset me that much that I'm going to sell the bike.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #6859
bondatomic
friend of motorbikes

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdrvr66 View Post
T -Thank
G-God
I- It's
F- Finally
H- Here

Picked up my new ride here in Iowa, headed right for the gravel. I can not get the smile off my face to say anything at all. I guess I will just start installing all these extras and put some miles on this bad boy.

Sindt Motors rocks - thats where mine came from. Enjoy it friend!
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #6860
bondatomic
friend of motorbikes

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Well, lots and lots of vehicles do exactly the same thing and I'm sure it won't be long before a reset tool will be available. Or, as Mark suggests, just ignore it.....

I think dealers can set the next service to a high amount of miles so you don't run into it, i.e. 99999... Not sure, I haven't done it yet. My method of removing the wrench on the dash is to not look at it. At least it doesn't blink...
bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #6861
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,285
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the preceding eleventy billion posts, but I have a question for those who have ridden both the standard 800 and the XC version.
How apparent are the differences in road manners, ie steering feel, turn-in effort and overall stability between the two bikes?

I ask because I am very interested in the Tiger when I can afford to add another bike to the stable, and unsure which way to go. I took a demo ride on the XC last Friday, and overall, I loved it. Everything fit and worked well for me.

The only surprise I had, with all the discussion in the thread about steering geometry etc, was that the bike felt VERY stable, and the steering kind of heavy, with what seemed like more effort than I expected to initiate turn-in, although it was stable, as on rails, once in the turn. Now, my perspective is somewhat biased because I've been riding a WR250R almost exclusively the last two years, so damn near anything road-legal feels heavy handling in comparison. So is the road version "heavier" or "lighter" feeling?

Just curious how different the road handling experience is between the bikes - a small factor in trying to pin down whether the XC is worth the extra $$$ for my purposes when I already have a small DS bike.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #6862
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondatomic View Post
I think dealers can set the next service to a high amount of miles so you don't run into it, i.e. 99999... Not sure, I haven't done it yet. My method of removing the wrench on the dash is to not look at it. At least it doesn't blink...
Yup, and the tool to re-set it and do all your own servicing including bleeding the ABS is only about $100: DealerTool.co.uk.

The availability of this tool would sway me to buy a tiger over a wee at the present time although the new wee looks pretty good....
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #6863
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
The oil filters are the same as a Goldwing. I wish I had known that before spending 15 bucks at the local Triumph stealer (not the one I bought my bike from) for a filter and crush washer. I had just received a box of 8 filters from Honda Direct Line for $6.75 apiece. Both factory filters are made by the same company. Here is a list of other machines that use the same filter according to K&N:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?prod=kn-204
Are K & N Oil filters anything like their air filters? you know, the ones that let all manner of dirt into your engine?

You can also use HiFlo Filtro oil filters ... which I've used on a few other bikes including my 1050 Tiger ... no problems. I think I paid a bit more for the HiFlo Filtro, maybe better prices on line? $6.75 is very good ... as long as you're not "getting what you pay for" What's the word on K&N oil filters? Any experts care to chime in? I do like the hex nut built in.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #6864
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
It bothers me because it's Triumphs way of saying they don't consider the bike user-serviceable. It's Triumph saying they would rather make their dealerships happy than their owners, because those service lights are put in purely to make dealers happy. And good luck selling it with the service light on. They know they've got you.
It's not even a light. It's a little wrench icon that appears in the upper left corner of the LCD display. Totally unobtrusive -- and as others point out, the means will soon exist to reset it.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #6865
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
The only surprise I had, with all the discussion in the thread about steering geometry etc, was that the bike felt VERY stable, and the steering kind of heavy, with what seemed like more effort than I expected to initiate turn-in, although it was stable, as on rails, once in the turn. Now, my perspective is somewhat biased because I've been riding a WR250R almost exclusively the last two years, so damn near anything road-legal feels heavy handling in comparison. So is the road version "heavier" or "lighter" feeling?

Just curious how different the road handling experience is between the bikes - a small factor in trying to pin down whether the XC is worth the extra $$$ for my purposes when I already have a small DS bike.
Very good questions, I'd think many potential buyers wonder about this. The relative slow steering feel of the XC comes from the 21" front wheel/tire/wider bars vs. the 19" on the T800. Slight geometry differences too. I've ridden both but not long enough or on the right roads to really give a review of the T800. The XC I did ride on good roads .... enough to get a feel. I liked it.

I'd do more test rides. Most ALL Triumph dealers are offering demos these days. It's a big decision ... take your time, do longer test rides and decide.

I too was very impressed with the stability and CONFIDENCE transmitted from the front wheel on the XC. I only rode the T800 briefly on city streets, no chance to really check it out.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #6866
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Are K & N Oil filters anything like their air filters? you know, the ones that let all manner of dirt into your engine?

You can also use HiFlo Filtro oil filters ... which I've used on a few other bikes including my 1050 Tiger ... no problems. I think I paid a bit more for the HiFlo Filtro, maybe better prices on line? $6.75 is very good ... as long as you're not "getting what you pay for" What's the word on K&N oil filters? Any experts care to chime in? I do like the hex nut built in.
$6.75 will get you a Honda Filter which is made by the same company that makes the Triumph filter. The reference to K&N was just to show part is the same for both bikes.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #6867
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,870
The seat.

I've done a 450 miles, 10 hour day and I thought the seat was the best stock seat I've ever sat on.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #6868
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

The oil filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The only thing you need to know about the oil filter is the number i.e. 204. That'll be an industry wide number. Armed with that you can buy whatever make you like.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #6869
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

The road manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the preceding eleventy billion posts, but I have a question for those who have ridden both the standard 800 and the XC version.
How apparent are the differences in road manners, ie steering feel, turn-in effort and overall stability between the two bikes?

I ask because I am very interested in the Tiger when I can afford to add another bike to the stable, and unsure which way to go. I took a demo ride on the XC last Friday, and overall, I loved it. Everything fit and worked well for me.

Prior to buying my XC I was convinced that all I needed was the roadie version.
I test rode both on the same day and found that the XC was more stable and absorbed the bumps in the crap roads I rode down far better than the 800 roadie.
On one particularly bumpy road at speed the roadie got very lively whereas the XC just rode over it all. Planted is the best way to describe the XC.
The steering is heavier on the XC but it's still easier than my Tiger955 which needs a good tug to get it from one side to t'other.
Same on some dirt tracks I did. The XC just tracked in a straight line and went where I wanted it to go.
The higher quality of the suspension and extra stability sold me the XC. I'm not regretting my choice in any way.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #6870
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 233
Check out these two ladies, Cheryl & Leslie, traveling on XC's to Alaska http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696871