Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #6946
BarkALot
inhabitant

Oddometer: 212
Picked up my new XC today and rode home in 95+ heat, about 14 miles on the highway. The underside of my legs felt hot, which I attributed to the heat from the asphalt..

But after sitting for 20-30 min in my garage, the frame rails - especially right at the upper engine mounts are really hot.. like burn your hand hot. Is this common and just something to do with hot weather and new engine?
and grace, too
BarkALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #6947
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkALot View Post
Picked up my new XC today and rode home in 95+ heat, about 14 miles on the highway. The underside of my legs felt hot, which I attributed to the heat from the asphalt..

But after sitting for 20-30 min in my garage, the frame rails - especially right at the upper engine mounts are really hot.. like burn your hand hot. Is this common and just something to do with hot weather and new engine?
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,2033.0.html
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #6948
BarkALot
inhabitant

ah.. I see.. I guess I'll just have to start driving faster to outrun the heat... hmmm... that sounds like a good rockabilly song..
and grace, too
Old 07-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #6949
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Hey if anyone is not liking the stock seat, we highly recommend the Triumph gel seats. We r riding with them on both bikes and they rock! Triumph got the gel seat right and look no further.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #6950
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkALot View Post
I don't know of any bike that doesn't have blisteringly hot frame rails when driving for a period in hot weather.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #6951
BarkALot
inhabitant

Never noticed it on my M1100 or on the Tuono
and grace, too
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #6952
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Hey if anyone is not liking the stock seat, we highly recommend the Triumph gel seats. We r riding with them on both bikes and they rock! Triumph got the gel seat right and look no further.
Have you ever sat on a Gel seat after it's been sitting in the sun for an hour on a 100F day? I'm sure they are great in Canada and the UK ... but in warm climates you might want to cover them over when parked to avoid blisters.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #6953
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
I did 200 road miles yesterday on the gel seat and it was a great improvement. Still not cross country capable for me but much better. Now I will modify my stock seat. BTW on my second tank of gas I got 50 mpg according to the ODO. Not sure how close that is to GPS miles but I am happy. Most of the time 65-75 mph on county roads.
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #6954
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
no real hot weather yet

we have done over 2000KM on the gel seats and for us they have been nearly perfect, When we stop for fuel we are still feeling as though we could keep going. As for an alternative to the stock we think they are grand, One thing we should have brought was our Alaskan Butt pads. No matter what seat we use the Butt pad adds that little extra comfort. But for this trip we are riding just with the seat, plain jane. As in anything we do to the bikes in general, seats are subjective but we have nothing to complain and they look great too!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #6955
bondatomic
expert noob

Oddometer: 39
Tires

Word to the wise: don't ride an English bike during Independence weekend... George Washington will put a screw in your rear tire (3" deck screw to be exact).

I'm ordering a new rear from motorcyclesuperstore.com, but they have two versions of the Scorpion Trail 150/70R17: one is "G spec" and one is not. I know the F800GS uses G spec, but does el Tigre 800?
Attached Images

bondatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #6956
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I don't know of any bike that doesn't have blisteringly hot frame rails when driving for a period in hot weather.

- Mark
But on this bike, the riders inter knees are tucked in against the frame rail. Needs a shield, at least in the summer.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #6957
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondatomic View Post
I'm ordering a new rear from motorcyclesuperstore.com, but they have two versions of the Scorpion Trail 150/70R17: one is "G spec" and one is not. I know the F800GS uses G spec, but does el Tigre 800?
Doesn't it say what spec the tyre is on the side wall? Anyway, that looks like it should be repairable.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #6958
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Doesn't it say what spec the tyre is on the side wall? Anyway, that looks like it should be repairable.
Easily repairable. But to each his own. Two ways to go:
1. plug it and ride. (keep an eye on pressure for a week or so after)
2. Take tire to tire shop and have them do an "inside patch".

Good enough for the CHP, good enough for me. I've ridden thousands of miles on plugged tires. If done right ... pretty safe.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #6959
tadst1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
My 800xc test ride

I took an 800xc 2012 model for almost 40mile ride yesterday. The bike was so sweet. I have mostly ridden a full fairing bike so this naked bike thing is new. The engine was really smooth just as I had read. I didn't drive it REAL hard as it was not mine. But I did TEST it, and I am sold. We have no dealer in Arkansas. I hope this wont be a big issue. Susp was a little stiff, but that can be adjusted. Never had anything long term but a Honda, it is now for sale, as well as my F650GS. Hope to post my new xc photo in a few weeks. Thanks for your comments.
tadst1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #6960
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadst1300 View Post
I took an 800xc 2012 model for almost 40mile ride yesterday. The bike was so sweet. I have mostly ridden a full fairing bike so this naked bike thing is new. The engine was really smooth just as I had read. I didn't drive it REAL hard as it was not mine. But I did TEST it, and I am sold. We have no dealer in Arkansas. I hope this wont be a big issue. Susp was a little stiff, but that can be adjusted. Never had anything long term but a Honda, it is now for sale, as well as my F650GS. Hope to post my new xc photo in a few weeks. Thanks for your comments.
Shouldn't need a dealer, we've owned 3 modern Triumphs and all have been completely reliable needing only regular maintenance. Congrats on your new Tiger.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote